PDA

View Full Version : Any fight fans on here?

jjpro11
02-10-2007, 03:04 AM
just wondering how many on here follow boxing, mma (ufc, pride fc), kickboxing, etc. i follow it a lot more now that the season is over.

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Boxing fan here, that's about it. Not really a UFC fan. I know the fighters and have watched it a few times but I'm by no means a diehard fan. Tried getting a thread started some time ago but not many fight fans it seemed.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=8012&highlight=boxing

Stlrs4Life
02-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I enjoy Boxing, but not UFC. Rocky Marciano, the greatest fighter ever!

SteelCzar76
02-10-2007, 06:06 PM
I boxed in my youth,..and consider myself a student of it's history. (my 'hand game' was something like Gerald Mclellan's.)LOL
But the 'game' isn't what it used to be. (Which can be attributed to the fact that many of those whom would have made great fighters are playing other more 'high profile' sports)
This and the fact that it's so corrupt,...have pretty much lead me to 'turn my back' on it.(so to speak)

SteelCzar76
02-10-2007, 06:13 PM

(Coming to America voice:) "Every time i start talking bout boxing,......"LMAO

But real talk though Stlrs,.....Marciano is one of my favorite fighters ever. Tremedous puncher. And If you've ever seen footage of his battle with Ezzard Charles,...it gives a great account of the measure of his 'heart'.

Stlrs4Life
02-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I hear ya Czar, it's a shame how much Boxing has changed. It is so corrupt, and don't know what they have to do to change the image of Boxing.

Countblaa
02-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I am into Boxing. Manny Pacquiao is my current fav fighter. I have also been really getting into MMA. I just watched Cro Cop WOW... Sylvia better be afraid

Hines0wnz
02-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Boxing has lost its luster to me. I remember as a kid going to some neighbor's house to watch the PPV for Sugar Ray or Tyson (in his hungry days). Now they are mostly crap and not worth watching unless its a replay on HBO. UFC/MMA is more appealing because you usually have fighters with different backgrounds going at it. I cant wait to attend my first UFC or some other MMA event live.

83-Steelers-43
04-21-2007, 09:04 AM

Amen to that.

Also, the record is safe.....:thumbsup:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18112321/

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-21-2007, 03:10 PM
UFC is the best.........watch that one night and then try to watch boxing and you about jump out of your seat yelling at the guy to hit him already ........
UFC is much better.

pittsburghp8baller
01-20-2009, 02:54 PM
figured i would try and get this thread going again since the Mosley-Margarito fight is this weekend. any thoughts on the fight?

im more of the boxing fan, ill watch MMA, but usually once they hit the ground and start wrestling ill lose interest. but MMA can def be entertaining, but id rather watch a boxing match and watch two people square up and fight for 12 rounds rather than watch two people wrestle on the floor for 5-10 minutes (unless its a couple of hot chicks!!)

82CardsGrad
01-20-2009, 02:59 PM
figured i would try and get this thread going again since the Mosley-Margarito fight is this weekend. any thoughts on the fight?

im more of the boxing fan, ill watch MMA, but usually once they hit the ground and start wrestling ill lose interest. but MMA can def be entertaining, but id rather watch a boxing match and watch two people square up and fight for 12 rounds rather than watch two people wrestle on the floor for 5-10 minutes (unless its a couple of hot chicks!!)

Margarito... and could be ugly... Mosely is too small, too old and coming off all of the Steroid crap, too distracted...
Antonio is a beast... I think Shane bit off just a bit too much here...

lambertlunaticfan
01-21-2009, 12:41 AM
i used to be a big boxing fan,taping all the fights as i had a huge boxing video libary,they used to have tuesdays night fights on the usa network and i taped all of them almost,and taped every fight on my favorite fighters that i could,if they were on tv,i taped them......i followed several fighters like jorge paez,and even saw him fight in person,met him and got his autograph....me and my brother went to vegas and my brother (who was also a big fan of his))and we happen to see he was fighting and got ringside seats and became friends with someone in his posse and he was able to get us to meet (paez)him after the fight....i also got a cridential from epinoza who was fighting on the same card,that was back in 1995 and i see have them.......i also followed roy jones jr,kevin kelly(got to see him also fight in person and got to shake his hand after the fight,wouldve got a picture but my best friend,who had my camera,well she didnt think i would want a picture of that)......i also followed pound for pound champ pernel whitaker sweet pea,and of course my all time favorite-the one and only mike tyson.......i have a nice collection of his fight tickets and memoribilia,and i was at the "bite fight" but i call it "the headbutt payback fight".....but boxing now has lost some of its excitement and i dont follow it like i used to....now i follow ufc more than boxing.....my brother went to school and was best friends with sean sherk who has been a ufc champ and we both have met him and he is a great guy....my favorite is tito ortiz but he doesnt fight cause of dana dont call me vince white.....and i follow wwe wrestling,i know,its tough to admit that i follow that:doh:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Follow MMA pretty religiously. I trained in it with Skip Hall (the oldest MMA fighter at 62) and met Dan Severn in the process.

http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01101/89/43/1101433498_l.jpg

http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01313/45/42/1313612454_l.jpg

lambertlunaticfan
01-21-2009, 01:35 AM
my all time favorite ufc fighter was the legend and all time best ever royce gracie,i remember him fighting the beast dan severn before the beast went to the wwf and i never heard about the beast again after that,is he still fighting?:noidea:you would hope not as he was pretty old back then,not that i would ever want to mess with him....all i know its sad when these legends like gracie think they still can fight,its not the same ufc as it was when they were kings there,that was a sad day in ufc history to me watching gracie vs hughes as gracie is better than that.....Follow MMA pretty religiously. I trained in it with Skip Hall (the oldest MMA fighter at 62) and met Dan Severn in the process.

http://b8.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01101/89/43/1101433498_l.jpg

http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01313/45/42/1313612454_l.jpg

Sharkissle29
01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Georges St. Pierre for the win!

And im not even canadian...but i absolutely love the guy. was a fan of him before anybody even knew who he was.

cubanstogie
01-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Georges St. Pierre for the win!

And im not even canadian...but i absolutely love the guy. was a fan of him before anybody even knew who he was.

I can't wait to see that fight, GSP is a class act I hope he takes it to BJ Penn.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Im a big MMA Fan.

Anderson Silva, Machida, St Pierre, BJ Penn, Fedor.

Wow i just realized how bandwagon and fair weather i sounded. But for real these guys all kick some ass.

The one thing that i like about fighting is you can have a pile of favorites.

Not like NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL where you usually follow a hometown team and hate everyone else.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah Dan Severn is still fighting. That second pic was after a fight between him and my trainer. Too bad my trainer weighs 100 lbs less and is 20 years older...lol

I can't stand Machida! I hate his run away and win by decision style...grrr! Reminds me of that one Bisping who got his ass kicked by the deaf guy and still won somehow.

Cro-cop was my favorite, but he sucked when he came to the UFC. Not sure what happened there.

TheSteelCurtain
01-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah i dont know. Cro Cop is a bad man. In a street fight he would hurt people. I think he was just able to dominate with his legs for so long that he never rounded the rest of his game off.

steelergirl07
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I love MMA. GO BJ PENN!!! Just had to get that in there. I also like Robbie Lawler and Jason Miller.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah i dont know. Cro Cop is a bad man. In a street fight he would hurt people. I think he was just able to dominate with his legs for so long that he never rounded the rest of his game off.

He just looked lost though. He didn't seem to have a gameplan or anything in his two UFC matches.

pittsburghp8baller
01-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Margarito... and could be ugly... Mosely is too small, too old and coming off all of the Steroid crap, too distracted...
Antonio is a beast... I think Shane bit off just a bit too much here...

8 rounds through and Mosley is dominating Margarito. knocked Margarito down at the 8th and now as im typing the ref called the fight after Mosley had him on the ropes- 9th round punches landed Mosley- 21 Margarito- 0

82CardsGrad
01-24-2009, 11:42 PM
8 rounds through and Mosley is dominating Margarito. knocked Margarito down at the 8th and now as im typing the ref called the fight after Mosley had him on the ropes- 9th round punches landed Mosley- 21 Margarito- 0

Wow!!! What an upset! They said Shane entered the ring a 4 to 1 underdog!! He is amazing... Perfect strategy. And man, the dude can still throw dynamite!!

:thumbsup:

steelergirl07
01-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Fedor just knocked out Arlovski. Dude is a bad ass. And Vitor Belfort knocked out Matt Lindland in like the first 30 seconds of rounds one. It was a pretty good fight card.

pittsburghp8baller
01-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Wow!!! What an upset! They said Shane entered the ring a 4 to 1 underdog!! He is amazing... Perfect strategy. And man, the dude can still throw dynamite!!

:thumbsup:

yea, he went out there with something to prove. he was throwing some heavy haymakers, and margarito just couldnt answer.

lambertlunaticfan
01-30-2009, 12:47 AM
to those ufc fans.....a question-----who you got-brock or mir?........

steelergirl07
02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
to those ufc fans.....a question-----who you got-brock or mir?........

If Lesnar can't knock out Mir in the first round, I think Mir can take it. I don't know if Lesnar worked on his conditioning or not, but it's not that good. And Mir is a beast. It should be a good fight.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
If Lesnar can't knock out Mir in the first round, I think Mir can take it. I don't know if Lesnar worked on his conditioning or not, but it's not that good. And Mir is a beast. It should be a good fight.

Let me get this straight, Lesnar's conditioning isn't good? As a world class NCAA wrestler, trust me, he knows all about conditioning. Wrestlers (real, not studio) are some of the best conditioned athletes on the planet. Considering Lesnar was rearranging Mir's face for the better part of the fight, I give the edge to lesnar. Plus, I can't stand pothead, pudboy Mir.

On a side note, what do you think about GSP's corner greasing his body down with vaseline? Supposedly this is the third time a complaint has been filed on GSP for the same thing. My buddies and I were watching the fight at Hooters and kept noticing that BJ's legs kept sliding of GSP's back throughout the fight.

While I don't think this changed the outcome of the fight, it IS against the rules.

steelergirl07
02-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Let me get this straight, Lesnar's conditioning isn't good? As a world class NCAA wrestler, trust me, he knows all about conditioning. Wrestlers (real, not studio) are some of the best conditioned athletes on the planet. Considering Lesnar was rearranging Mir's face for the better part of the fight, I give the edge to lesnar. Plus, I can't stand pothead, pudboy Mir.

On a side note, what do you think about GSP's corner greasing his body down with vaseline? Supposedly this is the third time a complaint has been filed on GSP for the same thing. My buddies and I were watching the fight at Hooters and kept noticing that BJ's legs kept sliding of GSP's back throughout the fight.

While I don't think this changed the outcome of the fight, it IS against the rules.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I know he has great conditioning, but for someone of his size, he gets tired faster. Just my opinion watching him fight. :noidea: But I still hope he wins. I don't like Mir, never did.

The whole GSP thing, reminds me of the Patriots. They don't need to cheat... I still think BJ would have lost. But I did notice his legs slipping. And that is one of the things that make BJ such a great fighter. His ability to defend off the ground using his legs. We'll see what Dana does, considering it isn't the first time something like this has been brought up about GSP.

And another thing, I can't stand GSP. Am I the only one? Everyone I watch fights with love him. He just annoys me.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
It's because he is French Canadian, and because he is good.

Kind of like how Anderson Silva annoys me, because he is so damned good!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I remember UFC from way back in the day 20 years ago. It has come a long way and is more civilized that it was then, but I still cant get interested in fights with grapplers rolling on the mat hugging each other.

I'd rather see more punching/striking. Like in Muai Thai. Here is a link to a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5YdkJlcIZg

steelerdave1969
02-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I hear ya Czar, it's a shame how much Boxing has changed. It is so corrupt, and don't know what they have to do to change the image of Boxing.

The one and main thing that Boxing needs to change is have a champion that fights more than once a year.. that is rediculous.

I went to school with UFC Fighter Spencer Fisher. Blue Ridge High School in Glenville, NC. He was in my sisters' class about 3 years behind me. Was always kind of quiet in school most of the time but was the kind of kid that would go to Parties and try to start fights.. imagine that huh?....

:wink02:

steelerdave1969
02-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Silva is a Bad Bad Man no doubt.:hatsoff:

steelergirl07
02-06-2009, 11:51 PM

I think it's just because he's French-Canadian...lol.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I remember UFC from way back in the day 20 years ago. It has come a long way and is more civilized that it was then, but I still cant get interested in fights with grapplers rolling on the mat hugging each other.

I'd rather see more punching/striking. Like in Muai Thai. Here is a link to a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5YdkJlcIZg

Train in MMA and you will have the utmost respect for "grapplers rolling on the mat hugging each other". Trust me on this....

ignore the shitty music on this one: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmPmau4BL78&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmPmau4BL78&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jas1uBpdVaE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jas1uBpdVaE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Though I do enjoy kickboxing too, Mike Zambidis is the greatest!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyD79cpjdt4

pittsburghp8baller
02-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Pavlik bounced back big time and rolled all over Rubio, same with Cotto beat down Jennings.

the Pavlik fight lasted longer than i thought but the result was the same.

possible Cotto/Mosley rematch?

steelerbuckeye
03-06-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll be at UFC tomorrow night. I was suppose to go to the weigh-ins but my cam has been giving me shit all day.

I'll also do my best to re-watch DREAM.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm going out on a limb and picking Jardine over Jackson. Forest Griffin tore Rampage up with leg kicks, and Jardine's leg kicks are BRUTAL!

steelerbuckeye
03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I would laugh hysterically if Jardine leg-kicked his way to a decision

I wonder if Rampage going to England and working with Cheick Kongo has taught him anything about how to actually RESPOND with leg kicks.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Jardine is the most under-rated fighter at 205, he shouldn't be taken lightly.

On a side not, what happened to Kongo? He tore up Cro-cop and I haven't seen him since. That man is a beast!

steelerbuckeye
03-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Kongo lost a split decision to Herring but since then has had 2 solid round 1 TKO/KO's. He went to England and joined Team Wolfslair with Bisping and Rampage and seems to be progressing every fight.

The Duke
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I'll be at UFC tomorrow night. I was suppose to go to the weigh-ins but my cam has been giving me shit all day.

I'll also do my best to re-watch DREAM.

:jealous:

If I were to bet on this fight my money would be on jardine

still rooting for jackson though

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
See my girlfriend is a Rampage fan, so I course I have to root for Jardine.

Mostly because he reminds me of Techno Viking: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_1nzEFMjkI4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_1nzEFMjkI4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

steelerbuckeye
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
The only way Jardine would win is the same way Forrest did which is by landing leg kicks the entire fight to carry it into decision.

Rampage has a strong chin, is the best all around boxer at 205 and unlike Chuck won't come into the fight out of shape or unprepared.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I think he has a good shot at winning in exactly the same manor that Forrest did. Personally I think Jardine's leg kicks are much better than Forests.

That said, Forest carrying it into the decision doesn't describe the fight. Rampage could barely put any weight on his leg for a large portion of the fight. He was damaged pretty badly.

steelerbuckeye
03-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Not really.

I actually thought Rampage won that fight especially in the later rounds. Forrest did nothing but leg kicks. Rampage attempted more take downs, passed guard, had better boxing, landed more strikes and contained Forrest on the ground for almost the entire 4th round.

xfl2001fan
03-07-2009, 11:12 AM
If my wife's van hadn't broke down 3 weeks ago, we'd have had the tickets (had to sell them to get the van fixed...but my friends were kind enough to pay full price without complaint.)