PDA

View Full Version : Steelersfever Chat room

Stlrs4Life
02-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Was wondering if the Admins from SF would host a chat room. Would be great for evenings, or even for game days. Just wondering.

Livinginthe past
02-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Here is my 2 cents.

We have a chat room over at Patfans.com and its not that great an experience, you get certain people flood the chat room with non-stop crap.

I think the game day threads do a fine job - you can see what people have written before you and the conversation actually makes sense.

Thats just an opinion though.

NM

polamalufan43
02-10-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree with LITP. Other sites I've been on have chatrooms and it's either A.) Non stop crap or B.) too many people get on and overload the server, resulting in computer freezes and other trouble.
However, if the Amind. wants to give it a shot, then be my guest.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Preacher
02-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree with LITP. Other sites I've been on have chatrooms and it's either A.) Non stop crap or B.) too many people get on and overload the server, resulting in computer freezes and other trouble.
However, if the Amind. wants to give it a shot, then be my guest.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

At first, I was hoping for a chatroom as well.

the problem is, 1. You would need multiple chat rooms to handle the people. 2. you would need a mod per chat room... else it will get real ugly.

and MOST IMPORTANT...

3. How would I ever get my rep points posting in a chatrom??? :hunch:

floodcitygirl
02-10-2007, 07:25 PM
If not a chat room, then what about a pager system? It works like instant messaging and is great for having a conversation without having to wait minutes for a reply like with a pm...great for brief answers.

Preacher
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
If not a chat room, then what about a pager system? It works like instant messaging and is great for having a conversation without having to wait minutes for a reply like with a pm...great for brief answers.

Personally...

I think Mr. Steelersfever should supply anyone with over 500 posts with a free blackberry to keep in touch!

floodcitygirl
02-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Personally...

I think Mr. Steelersfever should supply anyone with over 500 posts with a free blackberry to keep in touch!So are you saying I'm asking too much???? :hunch: It really is a cool feature..... :smile:

LarryNJ
02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't think you're asking too much FCG. I'm a member of an Aussie Rugby site and they have Pager Messages and it is a nice feature.

They also have a weekly chat that works out great. Someone always mods it, and it's not a regular site mod. Anyone who is halfway responsible can do it. You could have a couple of different chat masters! Must of the times the chat isn't Rugby related, it's just friends talking about many different things. Someone always post a short chat report for those who missed it.

HometownGal
02-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Sorry Dom and FCG - I am not in favor of either a chat room or a pager system. Chat rooms tend to become breeding grounds for flame fests as well as ...... dare I say it ..... the formation of cliques and people who aren't part of that circle tend to feel left out. I am not in favor of a pager system for several reasons, those being: (1) Many people don't want to be "bugged" with PMs much less via a pager system; (2) If someone can't wait to get an answer to a PM on an internet BB, maybe they need to develop the art of patience; and (3) Might I suggest an exchange of email addys or chatting via AIM/YIM? Just my two cents.

Newzfoxjr
02-11-2007, 12:11 AM
I chat on mIRC a lot and it's easy to set up a room and maintain control of it. If you guys want one, it wouldn't have to be official or anything, but a couple people could run it.

I think that'd be cool though, I'd go into it whenever I get on.

floodcitygirl
02-11-2007, 12:22 AM
I think the pager system is fun. I would think you'd only page with people that you want and talk to by pm anyway?! I guess I'm one of the impatient ones! LOL! I don't have a seperate IM account. Just a suggestion....:smile:

Stlrs4Life
02-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I think the pager system is fun. I would think you'd only page with people that you want and talk to by pm anyway?! I guess I'm one of the impatient ones! LOL! I don't have a seperate IM account. Just a suggestion....:smile:

I agree FCG, the pager system sounds pretty cool.

X-Terminator
02-11-2007, 11:47 AM
No way - I don't like the idea one bit. Pager systems can be a big-time nuisance, and I've seen way too many instances over the years where those chat forums on message boards have caused nothing but problems. If people want to carry on conversations or friendships, there's no reason whatsoever why it can't be done off the board via IMs (AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger and ICQ are all free - in fact, if you are using Windows, you have the Windows Messenger built right in) or in one of the many chat-only forums on the internet (IRC comes to mind), or even in email or via phone if you desired. I'm a member of a board right now that has a chat forum, and all I ever see in there are flame wars, cliques and backstabbing. Thanks, but no thanks. This board is just fine the way it is.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
No way - I don't like the idea one bit. Pager systems can be a big-time nuisance, and I've seen way too many instances over the years where those chat forums on message boards have caused nothing but problems. If people want to carry on conversations or friendships, there's no reason whatsoever why it can't be done off the board via IMs (AIM, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger and ICQ are all free - in fact, if you are using Windows, you have the Windows Messenger built right in) or in one of the many chat-only forums on the internet (IRC comes to mind), or even in email or via phone if you desired. I'm a member of a board right now that has a chat forum, and all I ever see in there are flame wars, cliques and backstabbing. Thanks, but no thanks. This board is just fine the way it is.

Right on the money!!! I am more thatn happy to either wait for a pm answer on give a friend my info to get a hold of me in another way...Yahoo messenger...MSN messenger...or for that matter..if I know anyone well enough to need an immediate answer I can give them my work e-mail..or telephone #....if I dont know them well enough to give that info....I will be better served (and safer) just waiting for the pm

Dynasty
02-11-2007, 05:51 PM
i created #steelersfever on efnet (thats IRC) if anyone wants to use that

floodcitygirl
02-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow! Such passion over a suggestion. :smile: I guess like most things in life your perspective is based largely on your personal experiences. I've been on another board with a pager system and it seems to work out really well....quick and convenient for short communications...no problems to the best of my knowledge. Obviously others here have experienced something different.

I have only ever had one conversation in a chat room and it was within a BB as well. Again, no problems as far as I know. But my experience with that is obviously too limited to have formed an opinion.

Regardless...:cheers: everybody. I know everyone's goal is for SF to stay a friendly, fun and informative place to be.

Stlrs4Life
02-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I hear ya fcg. I go to a chat room on another BB and never had a problem. I still like the paging system.