PDA

View Full Version : Scrap the Pro Bowl?

yinzer-inseattle
02-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Over the years, the Steelers have put up some of the best Pro Bowl selections. We've had several players dominate their position; end result being consecutive year selections. Because of this (esp. in the 70's and 80's), the Steelers selection to the Pro Bowl always made the season a little sweeter.

Is it me or does the Pro Bowl just not have the same impact? The players don't get excited about the selection or a free trip to Hawaii anymore. How many withdraws have we seen recently? The players that do go have little incentive to play with intensity which means we get to watch one very boring beauty pageant of a football game.

I think the players and fans would be better server with a designation similar to the college All American. Scrap the game and move on to next year is my vote!

rhino
02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I live in Hawaii and I'm actually going to the Pro Bowl today. It's not really so much for the players as it is for the fans. As everyone knows, the NFL is the master of marketing their game and they make the whole week prior to the Pro Bowl "Pro Bowl Week" in Hawaii. It's really a lot of fun for the fans. We get to interact with players, coaches, and cheerleaders, see the skills challenge, and there are tons of parties, activities, and many things for kids. Just this year my daughter went to a cheerleading clinic with 6 NFL cheerleaders and loved it. My son loves meeting players and getting his helmet signed.

What you said is probably exactly right. The players really don't care that much but the fans out here love it. And, to the NFL, that's what it's all about!

tony hipchest
02-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Over the years, the Steelers have put up some of the best Pro Bowl selections. We've had several players dominate their position; end result being consecutive year selections. Because of this (esp. in the 70's and 80's), the Steelers selection to the Pro Bowl always made the season a little sweeter.

Is it me or does the Pro Bowl just not have the same impact? The players don't get excited about the selection or a free trip to Hawaii anymore. How many withdraws have we seen recently? The players that do go have little incentive to play with intensity which means we get to watch one very boring beauty pageant of a football game.

I think the players and fans would be better server with a designation similar to the college All American. Scrap the game and move on to next year is my vote!i dont know, seeing marshall faulk break o.j's pro bowl record when oj was accused of murdering his wife was great.

seeing hines ward catch a bomb from peyton manning, and then returning a punt for a td(it had been years since he returned punts) was great.

im really looking forward to seeing willie parker play with the best of the best.

the steelers rarely withdrawl from a pro bowl bid. then again cowher was coaching it every other year it seems. faneca, hampton, troy, hines, porter are the types who will always go if offered.

p. manning absolutely has no incentive to be there, yet he is a competitor and loves football. if theres any star in the league who could balk on the trip for fear of injury, it is him, yet he goes out every year and puts on a show for the fans.

these are the reasons i think they should keep it.

Atlanta Dan
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Every other sport ends its season with a championship game - the NFL ends its season with an exhibition game where a good % of the players do not want to be there.

Watching the Pro Bowl is like having leftover warm beer for breakfast the morning after you are hungover from a great party - not very palatable.

For those who enjoy watching the game, to each his own - I quit watching it years ago.

NM

Steeldude
02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
the pro bowl has been a joke for about 20 or more years now.

tony hipchest
02-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Watching the Pro Bowl is like having leftover warm beer for breakfast the morning after you are hungover from a great party - not very palatable.

lol. good analogy, although i prefer to look at it as a shot of methadone to a heroin addict who is abruptly trying to kick the "habit".

augustashark
02-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Keep it going, it's the only week of pro ball that I don't have to see T. Brady.:smile:

Fullback&Punter
02-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I like the Pro Bowl. I look forward to seeing the Steelers compete for the AFC and I love all the trick plays and players playing out of position.

polamalufan43
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
I think everyone really enjoys the game. For the players however, I think they consider it as more of an honor than an actual game. I may be wrong though, I mean, it's not like we may be able to understand what goes through their minds. In any case, I'll be on the couch watching the game.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
02-10-2007, 04:54 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Just some extra Vacation Time and a Sissy Game of Golf in Hawaii:flap: :wave:

slashsteel
02-10-2007, 10:03 PM
For the Steeler fanatics it is a chance to see a few Steelers (This year four) play a little ball. As some of us can never get enough football.:helmet:

Mamaduck43
02-10-2007, 10:42 PM
As another fan who lives in Hawaii, I can say that I would be truly saddened if the ProBowl didn't happen..... Granted that a lot of players don't show up, and the team selections are more a popularity contest sometimes - - - the players that I have met have all expressed that this is a great way to end the season.... A lot of them have said that just the experience of playing with their 'heroes' make it all worthwhile..... It is good fun... It is commercial.... And I love all of it....

NV STEELERS 723
02-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Every other sport ends its season with a championship game - the NFL ends its season with an exhibition game where a good % of the players do not want to be there.

For those who enjoy watching the game, to each his own - I quit watching it years ago.

NM

Warm Beer sucks !!! and yes I quit watching it years ago too....I would much rather watch a Pats-Dolphins MNF game.....

klick81
02-11-2007, 12:38 AM
It's not that bad. It's kind of fun to see the PLAYERS having fun amongst themselves too.

NV STEELERS 723
02-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Warm Beer sucks !!! and yes I quit watching it years ago too....I would much rather watch a Pats-Dolphins MNF game.....

or even a Pats-Bills game.

ThatGuy246
02-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Though it doesn't seem to be too bad, my Pro Bowl concern is the injury factor. I realize they alter the rules so as to better ensure the safety of players, but Saints fans the world-over had to be wincing when they saw Brees leave the field wincing in pain.

Personally, I agree - particularly in years when the Stillers aren't hoisting a Lombardi, I love watching it as a last chance to see guys in Black & Gold (or at least black & gold helmets) take the field. It's a great last hit before the withdrawal sets in.

BUT, if Willie, Alan, Troy, or Casey were injured in any way, I would be a trifle peeved.

Any thoughts on the game's merit vs. risks? I think the outstanding players deserve the accolade, but is it worth it potentially impacting the upcoming season?

Just my two, fairly worthless, cents...

-Deej

Borski
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
they should make a new format for the probowl.

The best AFC Offense and
the best AFC Defense
vs
The best NFC Offense and
the best NFC Defense

AKA
Chargers O/Steelers D vs
Saints O/Bears D

Indy_Steelers
02-11-2007, 06:55 AM
For the Steeler fanatics it is a chance to see a few Steelers (This year four) play a little ball. As some of us can never get enough football.:helmet:

:iagree: I watched the entire game and enjoyed it. I am glad it is back on network TV.

Stlrs4Life
02-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I highly doubt they scrap it, it brings in alot of $$ for the NFL, and Hawaii.