PDA

View Full Version : The Pens!!!!

Stlrs4Life
08-16-2005, 11:58 AM
I haven't been this excited about the Pens in a long time. I believe we are defeinatly a playoff team already. Picking up John LeClaire yesterday iced it. We could easily have the 3 top goal scorers on our team, with Mario, Ziggy Palffy, LeClaire, and even Mike Recchi.

mhenry07
08-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Sorry to say that but Leclair good scoring days are way behind him... Pitts just signed an always injured old and slow player. Don't expect more than a 10-15 goal season !

As for the rest of their signings, I wonder how much games will Mario, Ziggy and John will play this year... Maybe 70... for the combine 3!

As for Thibeault, you'll find that he is overrated...

Gonchard was a great add... Pitts should look now for some much needed defensive players...

In the NHL today, you don't win if you don't have a top goolie, a good defensive system and injured-free players. Therefore, Pens will be lucky to finish in the top 5 teams in the conference and won't will more than 1 round in the playoffs. The good thing is that's better than the last years ;-)

blairsummit
08-18-2005, 01:26 AM
i think the signing of leclair was good in 2 ways. it provides veteran leadership for a very young team and him, along with mario, will help mentor crosby.

SteelerzGirl
10-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Pens @ NJ Devils 2nite at 7:30 PM on Fox Sports Pittsburgh! Woohoo! I can't wait to see Sidney Crosby and my all-time fave Mario play together. I have to take a break from the game at 8:00 PM, however, to watch LOST, then back to the Pens. LET'S GO PENS!!!

Prosdo
10-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Let's go Pens!

ngreene15
10-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Devil beat up on the Pens... But I was watching tid bits of the game before I was watching my Leafs play the Sens and I saw that Sidney Crosby almost scored on his first shift.

I think he also got an assist on Recchi's goal. Pens will be good this year.

SteelerzGirl
10-06-2005, 06:10 PM
The Pens lost last night 5-1. Bummer. :( I was so hoping Sidney would have scored that goal on his first shift, but noooooooo. Martin Broudeur is a brick wall! Wish we had him.

Where is Fleury? Did the Pens send him down to Wilkes-Barre?

ngreene15
10-06-2005, 09:41 PM
The Pens lost last night 5-1. Bummer. :( I was so hoping Sidney would have scored that goal on his first shift, but noooooooo. Martin Broudeur is a brick wall! Wish we had him.

Where is Fleury? Did the Pens send him down to Wilkes-Barre?

I believe they did.

He'll be a superstar in a couple years.. In the World Junior Hockey Championships a couple years ago he was absolutley amazing play for Canada, won games by himself.

SteelerzGirl
10-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Wow, thanks, ngreene! That definitely gives me more hope! :smile:

Tonight, Pens @ Carolina @ 7:00 PM on FSN Pittsburgh. (They're currently behind 2-0 @ the end of the 1st period).

Tomorrow night, the Pens open at home against Boston @ 7:30 PM! Woohoo!

LET'S GO PENS!!!

SteelerzGirl
10-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Awww maaaaan... The Pens lost @ home tonight in OT (7-6). They were kickin' butt 6-4 at the end of the 2nd period, too! Grrrrrr... On a happier note, Sidney scored his first NHL goal while playing at home! It was so cute. He was so happy, and I was so happy for him! Yay Sidney! :smile:

How are the Toronto Maple Leafs doing thus far, ngreene?

ngreene15
10-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Awww maaaaan... The Pens lost @ home tonight in OT (7-6). They were kickin' butt 6-4 at the end of the 2nd period, too! Grrrrrr... On a happier note, Sidney scored his first NHL goal while playing at home! It was so cute. He was so happy, and I was so happy for him! Yay Sidney! :smile:

How are the Toronto Maple Leafs doing thus far, ngreene?

Well they're 0-1-1 but they have been playing good hockey.... Deserved to beat the Sens, and the Habs scored with a couple minutes left last night to get the win.

Mats Sundin is gone for 4-6 weeks with a broken orbital bone, and that's a tough loss... Especially seeing as how it happened in the 1st period of the first game.

SteelerzGirl
10-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm glad your Leafs are playing good hockey, ngreene. It's still very early in the season, and there's a lot of hockey left. I'm sure they'll start kicking some butt soon. :smile:

The Pens are 0-1-3. I'm still waiting for that first win. Fleury is back and I'm very happy about that! Pens are at Philly on Friday @ 7:00 PM. Yikes!

I love the new rules. They've really opened up the game, and I'm lovin' it! Yay!

Are we the only two peeps who watch hockey around here?

P.S. Do you Canadians know that the plural of leaf is leaves? LOL :wink:

ngreene15
10-12-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm glad your Leafs are playing good hockey, ngreene. It's still very early in the season, and there's a lot of hockey left. I'm sure they'll start kicking some butt soon. :smile:

The Pens are 0-1-3. I'm still waiting for that first win. Fleury is back and I'm very happy about that! Pens are at Philly on Friday @ 7:00 PM. Yikes!

I love the new rules. They've really opened up the game, and I'm lovin' it! Yay!

Are we the only two peeps who watch hockey around here?

P.S. Do you Canadians know that the plural of leaf is leaves? LOL :wink:

Haha yeah... Now that I think about it, the only time I say Leafs is with the Leafs.

But hey they won tonight, beat Philly 4-2.

I saw Fleury in the shootout loss and he made something like 37 saves, he played good, team just has to give him some help.

Prosdo
10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Just scored some tickets for Saturday's game. Woohoo!

SteelerzGirl
10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Woohoo!!! WTG, Prosdo! You're goin' to Philly! http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/whitediamonds/c357275f.gif

I've got a feeling... The Pens are gonna win tomorrow night!

I hope you have a great time! Give my fave Mario a big kiss for me...(lol).

Please let us know how it goes.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

ngreene... I'm thrilled your Leafs got a win for ya! Now they're rockin'! Yay! :smile:

I forgot to tell you in my last post that Sidney Crosby has a buddy who plays for the Johnstown Chiefs, whose home is in the city where I work. Anyway... Sidney called his buddy and offered him tickets to the Pens home opener. It's great to know that Sidney hasn't forgotten who his friends are. He's such a nice guy! :smile:

Prosdo
10-13-2005, 11:09 PM
Saturday is a home game vs Tampa Bay. Philly game is tomorrow. Should be a good game. Pretty excited about going. I think last time I went to a game was back in 95 when Jagr was still here. Long time lol

SteelerzGirl
10-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Whoopsie... Sorry, Prosdo! I got my games mixed up. My sister and bro-in-law are traveling cross-state from Pittsburgh to go to the Philly game 2nite. I must have it in my head that that's the game everyone on the planet is going to...(lol). Please forgive my boo-boo.

I'm sure you'll have a great time at the game on Saturday! You can still give Mario a big smoochie for me...(lol)! :smile:

SteelerzGirl
10-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Awww shucks... The Pens lost in OT last night. I'm hoping you bring them some luck tonight, Prosdo! Have a great time! :smile:

Prosdo
10-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks Steelerz!

Prosdo
10-16-2005, 03:57 AM
The game was fun. Unfortunately we didn't win. Definitely was a good time and hopefully go back again.

Tres Rios
10-21-2005, 04:18 PM
How's the season working out so far? I don't follow hockey.

BB2W
10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
How's the season working out so far? I don't follow hockey.
Not real good... they havn't won a game yet, but their first round pick Sidney Crosby has done some good things.

BurghThing
10-21-2005, 10:18 PM
The boys looked bad last night. Almost a week off, extra film, extra practice, looked worse than they did the last game. Every opponent looks like they are constantly on the power play. The Pens just don't move! So often you see them standing around and waiting for something to happen. I like Edzo and I honestly don't believe its his fault (there are too damn many veterans on this team for it to be) but if something doesn't change soon, then someone needs to change and he'll be the easy scapegoat.

Good news for him though is the Pens never really get rid of everyone, he'll just become a scout or maybe go back to the booth.

I.C. Lights
10-22-2005, 09:42 PM
It's almost as if we're stuck in the old style while everyone else has adjusted. This is frustrating. We're getting schooled by Boston right now. I think things got a little too hyped with all the talent we picked up before the season. Still gotta remember that we have a lot of building to do...

BurghThing
10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Before you build, you need to start tearing down. There is a TON of overpriced dead weight on this team.

BurghThing
10-25-2005, 11:47 PM
As much as I like Edzo, and realize the pitiful performance on the ice is not entirely his doing, after going winless through 9 games, he needs to go.

ironcitychef
10-28-2005, 12:54 AM
Much like the Pirates...A Win!!!! Let's go we are on a roll!

ngreene15
11-19-2005, 01:06 PM
How you boys liking Sideny??

His goal in the shootout in against Montreal was one of the nicest goals of the year.... To make a goalies water bottle fly that high on a backhand is impressive.

SteelCityMan786
11-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm liking Sidney A lot. I want his whole Carrier to hopefully be in a Pittsburgh Penguins Uniform.

clevestinks
11-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Sidney is the Real, Deal.

Stlrs4Life
12-30-2005, 01:58 PM
How you boys liking Sideny??

His goal in the shootout in against Montreal was one of the nicest goals of the year.... To make a goalies water bottle fly that high on a backhand is impressive.

Love him. I think he is way better at this stage than Jagr was when he was a rookie.

clevestinks
12-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Love him. I think he is way better at this stage than Jagr was when he was a rookie.
Thats a pretty bold statement, although Jagr did have a great, healthy young, Mario.

clevestinks
12-31-2005, 05:04 PM
How about Crosby over Jagr. in O.T. Go Pens

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Moves that need to be made after this season.

1) Patrick needs to go. The buddy/buddy system that is in place with Lemieux and Patrick is destroying this hockey team. There are no excuses for this team to be this bad. Patrick dropped the ball this year and hasn't done much since 1992. The way he handled the "Fleury situation" earlier in the season was the last call for me. He would rather save some cash than give the fans what they expected to see and what they paid to see......a winning hockey team.

2) Lemieux needs to retire and simply be an owner. While I respect Lemieux just as much as the next fan, his skills are not the same (to be expected) and any coach that is on this team and coaching Lemieux will be on a leash. Lemieux could go 30 games without a point and the head coach would NEVER sit him out. That's like telling your boss "You know what, I don't like the way your handling things, take a seat until I see your ready to step it up and do what's right.". It's never going to happen. As stated before, I respect Lemieux and appreciate everything he has done for Pittsburgh hockey, but I don't feel that gives him a free pass as long as he is organized with this hockey team. It's time for him to hang up the skates and focus on making this a legitimate hockey team and not the New York Rangers of years past. I know a great number hate to hear this because Mario is at Jesus status in this city, but things need to change and change fast. What we are doing here is NOT working.

3) Start over. We are not able to trade players such as Gonchar, LeClair or Recchi but in my opinion we need to start on a clean sheet of ice. Focus this team next season around Crosby, Fleury and Malkin. Not players that are way past their prime such as LeClair, Lemieux, Recchi and Odelein. They are not the future. They were simply brought in for veteran leadership and to give us a chance at winning a cup THIS season. That didn't work. Regroup, make the right decisions, start over and in three or four years from now we could easily be one of the elite teams in the NHL.

I'm obviously not an NHL team owner or GM, but this season has been horrendous and there is no excuse for this team. From the top on down needs to take the blame and one guy at the top needs to be fired and the other needs to focus on owning a team.

Since Therrian has taken over there is no doubt in the change of play. Therrian doesn't play the buddy/buddy system. Edzo was a direct product of the buddy/buddy system that surrounds this hockey team and has surrounded this hockey team for the last fourteen years. They went from a high school hockey team to an AHL hockey team since Therrian took over. Sadly, the change occured way too late. It should have occured on our Florida road trip earlier in the season and definately after the Minnesota and Detroit melt downs. Lemieux and Patrick decided to hold off until we were in a deeper hole. We are there now.

The question I have, what is this team going to look like when Lemieux comes back? Are our young players going to feel the need to throw him the puck in the corner every time they enter the opposing teams end of the ice instead of taking the shot or passing it else where? More importantly, our PP has been very good the last few games, do you mess with that so you can put Mario Lemieux out there on the first PP unit? Does Therrian have the nuts to bench his boss If he's doing absolutely nothing on the ice?

Sorry need to vent. :pity:

SteelerDan43
01-03-2006, 04:54 PM
No doubt the team is playing much better with the new staff. I like Edzo as a person and as a commentator but he was not a very good coach. I was not in favor of all the free agent signings because before the lockout at the end there we started playing very well. But i do think that a few signings were ok, I liked Palffy and Gonchar because i think you do need some veteran presence and even recci was ok but we played all these young guys for a whole year in anticipation of the lockout but now we dont get to see the just reward in their growth. I think someone who has been really held down is Malone who now that his leadership role has been taken away has clearly regressed. I think they just need to get a solid plan in place in follow it. Fleury is your number one goalie, and build the D around Whitney. The offense having Crosby and eventually Malkin will take care of itself

Brady12
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
lol The Pens are funny.

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Fleury is your number one goalie, and build the D around Whitney. The offense having Crosby and eventually Malkin will take care of itself

I agree that our future is very encouraging, unlike many other teams in the NHL. Whitney, Orpik, Scuderi and Welch are defenseman that I look forward to watching for many years. On offense players such as Crosby, Malkin, Quellet and Surovy will be something in years to come. Not many teams can say they have as much young talent as we do on their team at this point in time.

Maybe I'm getting a little frustrated and rightfully so to a degree, I guess winning back to backs cup in '91' & '92' is better than other teams who have not one a cup since the 70's.

clevestinks
01-03-2006, 07:52 PM
The future is very encouraging! But where, will they stay?

SteelerDan43
01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I think that now that the agreement is in place for Isle of Capri to pay for the whole building contigent on them getting the slot liscines. Barring a late ploy by mr. "I hate Pittsburgh" Ed Rendell there is an excellent chance they stay

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I think that now that the agreement is in place for Isle of Capri to pay for the whole building contigent on them getting the slot liscines. Barring a late ploy by mr. "I hate Pittsburgh" Ed Rendell there is an excellent chance they stay

The only problem I see is the guy from Station Square who gave Rendell a good chunk of coin when he was running for office. As long as the media keeps bringing up that transaction it can help this organization and the Isle of Capri.

SteelerDan43
01-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Well the Pens were playing well for a little while lol. Up 3-0 at one point. Now its 4-3 Montreal with 10:58 to go in the 2nd

Prosdo
01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Well the Pens were playing well for a little while lol. Up 3-0 at one point. Now its 4-3 Montreal with 10:58 to go in the 2nd

:shake01: That is one huge thing they need to fix. They can't seem to hold a lead.

SteelerDan43
01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
It seems like in every game they have a mental block for half a period and just let the other team run all over them

SteelerzGirl
01-03-2006, 09:02 PM
2) Lemieux needs to retire and simply be an owner. While I respect Lemieux just as much as the next fan, his skills are not the same (to be expected) and any coach that is on this team and coaching Lemieux will be on a leash. Lemieux could go 30 games without a point and the head coach would NEVER sit him out. That's like telling your boss "You know what, I don't like the way your handling things, take a seat until I see your ready to step it up and do what's right.". It's never going to happen. As stated before, I respect Lemieux and appreciate everything he has done for Pittsburgh hockey, but I don't feel that gives him a free pass as long as he is organized with this hockey team. It's time for him to hang up the skates and focus on making this a legitimate hockey team and not the New York Rangers of years past. I know a great number hate to hear this because Mario is at Jesus status in this city, but things need to change and change fast. What we are doing here is NOT working.

I agree that Mario should retire and simply be an owner. I love Mario, but I think it would be best for the team as a whole if he retires. It will probably be better for his ticker, too...(lol).

Prosdo... You're right. The Pens simply can't seem to maintain a good lead when they have one. Gets frustrating, doesn't it? :banging:

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
4-4 after two.

SteelerDan43
01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Well they came back with a few strong shifts and tied it up. Hopefully we can keep it up and not have another collective brain fart

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 09:56 PM
6-4 Pens victory. First Pens victory in Montreal since '99'.

SteelerDan43
01-03-2006, 10:05 PM
BIG win. Way to fight and come back. Sid had 2 goals in his Montreal debute

Prosdo
01-04-2006, 06:59 AM
6-4 Pens victory. First Pens victory in Montreal since '99'.

Way to go Pens. Glad they came back to win!

I.C. Lights
01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
It seems like things are finally beginning to click. Only good things to come... :grin:

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Wow, Thibault stinks. After scoring three goals against him (2 were his fault) Therian pulled him and put in Fleury. 5-2 Thrashers in the third. Horrible hockey. :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity:

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
6-4 Thrashers victory. Kovalchuk with the HT. Quellet, LeClair, Recchi and Armstrong with the Penguin goals.

83-Steelers-43
01-06-2006, 09:53 PM
It was also reported tonight on FSN Pittsburgh after the game that the Pittsburgh Penguins have informed Ryan Malone that the Penguins are trying to shop him. The organization sent out 29 emails to NHL teams letting them know he's on the block. Supposedly the Leafs are showing the most interest in Malone.

83-Steelers-43
01-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Game two between the Thrashers and Penguins. 4-3 Thrashers win. :pity:

SuperMan313
02-08-2006, 12:48 PM
It was also reported tonight on FSN Pittsburgh after the game that the Pittsburgh Penguins have informed Ryan Malone that the Penguins are trying to shop him. The organization sent out 29 emails to NHL teams letting them know he's on the block. Supposedly the Leafs are showing the most interest in Malone.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs took a run at him, they'd probaly give up, Antropov, Berg and a pick, but the Leafs can use a Ryan Malone right now.

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs took a run at him, they'd probaly give up, Antropov, Berg and a pick, but the Leafs can use a Ryan Malone right now.

Talks have quieted down with Malone. Jackman was in the paper the other day stating he wanted to be traded because he felt he wasn't getting enough ice time. Maybe If he could hit the net when he takes a shot from the point things would change for him.

Malone was great his rookie year, but I'm not sure he can play in the "new" NHL. His speed is a set back and he lacks physical play. Strange though, when the trade rumors started with him this season he turned around and scored three goals in three games and then dropped off once again.

He still has alot to prove in my opinion. Specially for wanting more money before this season started.

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
What do you know? Two wins in a row. Canes and Caps.

SteelerDan43
02-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Ha Ha they actually won two in a row?!?!? I never even get news about them in new york...

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Cairns got into a fight and gave the guy a beat down. Nice to see somebody on that team that has a pair and the fists to back it up.

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2006, 04:34 PM
WTH? Did I see what I thought I just saw. Damn straight. The Penguins are rising from the dead.

SteelerDan43
02-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Cairns got into a fight and gave the guy a beat down. Nice to see somebody on that team that has a pair and the fists to back it up.

Thats the reason I was actually encouraged about his pick up... We needed a guy that isnt afraid to throw down the gloves. The team has been way too soft for a long time

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Thats the reason I was actually encouraged about his pick up... We needed a guy that isnt afraid to throw down the gloves. The team has been way too soft for a long time

Same here. The Rita and Cross pick up I was not and I am still not crazy about, the Cairns pick up was nice and I liked it from the beginning. Not only does he throw down, but he wins.

SuperMan313
02-13-2006, 10:27 AM
If you guys want ANOTHER guy who can fight and protect Sid The Kid, then please take Tie "I Think I'm a Pylon" Domi off of our hands. :propeller

SISTINAS
02-18-2006, 12:12 AM
Malkin looks terrific in the Olympics! I can't wait to see him in a Penguins uniform, he has all the tools.

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2006, 09:28 AM
If you guys want ANOTHER guy who can fight and protect Sid The Kid, then please take Tie "I Think I'm a Pylon" Domi off of our hands. :propeller

We were looking at Domi at the beginning of the season, but he did not want to leave Toronto. We tried. :hunch:

SteelCityMan786
02-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Well what do I see here last night on PST the PA Gaming commission is getting HEAVY Influence to give the Pens the license.

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Looks like the season didn't turn out like I thought it would. Totally unbelievable.

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I feel bad for Fleury and Crosby. Fleury doesn't have a defense in front of him nor an offense to put points on the board and Crosby has nobody to play with.

SteelCityMan786
02-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Well If Evengi Is Able to comeback to the NHL next year then the Pens will be spectacular. So if they don't end up staying put then they can go out with a bang.