PDA

View Full Version : Poor Willie Parker.

Edman
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Some Steeler fans will continue to badmouth him no matter what he does. Check out what this guy has to say...

http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/news/67079

8 carries for 19 yds in the pro bowl. Not pretty stats, but he ignores that the mighty Tiki Barber went 4 yds on 7 carries and then jumps on Willie for not catching an errant pass!

What does Willie have to do to prove he's a legitimate RB? In a sucky 2006, he's was our best player and carried the Steelers on his back on a few occasions(See Saints game).

Yinz take it from here.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Its the freaking Pro Bowl so I could care less how Willie does in that game. Sure I wouldn't mind Willie scoring a TD but the key is Willie didn't get hurt in that meaningless game.

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Its the freaking Pro Bowl so I could care less how Willie does in that game. Sure I wouldn't mind Willie scoring a TD but the key is Willie didn't get hurt in that meaningless game.

Agree completely - Tom Brady had the right idea when he played at Pebble Beach this weekend instead.

That game is a joke - even if the game is supposed to be some modified version of flag football (although Sean Taylor apparently did not get that memo) players still get injured - the Pro Bowl needs to go the way of its former bookend, the College All-Star Game, that used to start the season.

Stainless Steel
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
I saw what happend. His line didn't block worth anything when he got the ball. That game is a joke anyway.

alittlejazzbird
02-11-2007, 09:19 PM
What does Willie have to do to prove he's a legitimate RB? In a sucky 2006, he's was our best player and carried the Steelers on his back on a few occasions(See Saints game).

You said it yourself, Edman. He was the best player on the team this year. Think of the yardage he would have accrued if the Steelers had actually been a playoff team. My hunch is that for the vast majority of Steeler fans, Willie has nothing to prove -- he has more than proven himself many times over, and the best news is that next season will only be his fourth. Let the badmouthers blow their hot air. They'll be jumping right back on the bandwagon when the Steelers are in the hunt again, not that any of us will care about them, right?

stillers4me
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM

You got that right!! Bengals fans are falling all over themselves with Carson being named MVP. He and Chad are nothing but attention w*h*o*r*e*s, as far as I'm concerned. They were all about getting the spotlight off Peyton Manning. I'm grateful all of our guys were smart enough to reliaze it was a meaningless game and put more effort on the beach with their families than in that stupid game.

fansince'76
02-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Bengals fans are falling all over themselves with Carson being named MVP.

It kinda figures they'd get excited over their QB being named MVP of a meaningless game - what else have they had to cheer about? :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Maybe Chad and Carson can purchase Pro Bowl champs rings.

Preacher
02-11-2007, 10:13 PM
People People People.

It goes like this.

Unless a running back tips the scales at over 230... and can hit guys for four yards, he sucks.

What complete idiocy. The funniest thing is, one person actually posted that Bettis was too beat up to play in the playoffs... running against 8/9 in the box... DUH... Because BETTIS COULD ONLY RUN ONE WAY... BETWEEN THE TACKLES.

How stupid are people? THAT IS WHY BIG STEAMROLLER TEAMS DONT WIN SB's. I have said it a million times. BALANCE. I swear. People like that actually almost make me want to route for the bengals.... well... maybe not. BUt you get the point.

Stainless Steel
02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
How stupid are people? THAT IS WHY BIG STEAMROLLER TEAMS DONT WIN SB's. I have said it a million times. BALANCE. I swear. People like that actually almost make me want to route for the bengals.... well... maybe not. BUt you get the point.
I agree 100%. By putting 8-9 in a box, they are able also to put pressure on the QB at the same time. I love Bettis, but he did bring about another set of problems for QB's.

SteelShooter
02-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm not even going to dignify this lame persons comments, so..............

:blah: Hmmmmmmmmmmmphfffffff!!!!!!!! :blah:

Preacher
02-11-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm not even going to dignify this lame persons comments, so..............

:blah: Hmmmmmmmmmmmphfffffff!!!!!!!! :blah:

LOL.. Yeah.

BOXCAR JOEY
02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Some Steeler fans will continue to badmouth him no matter what he does. Check out what this guy has to say...

http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/news/67079

8 carries for 19 yds in the pro bowl. Not pretty stats, but he ignores that the mighty Tiki Barber went 4 yds on 7 carries and then jumps on Willie for not catching an errant pass!

Yinz take it from here.

Your edman. The saints game proved to me that Willie Parker can be one of the best running back to come in years. I was amazed how close he came to beating the team record for rush yards in the saints game. At least the man still holds the longest rush in a SB. Its all about the record and the effort he gave to acheive it. That makes him legit.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Parker is a legit RB and with a little more patience and if he can learn to use some of that strength to run with some power,he could become a LT type RB.

Infamix
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
He is the best kept secret in the NFL...and the best kept secret in Madden.

HometownGal
02-12-2007, 08:39 AM
The Steelers and their fans know what we have in FWP, which is really all that counts- not an annual game which is more of a popularity contest than a true measure of the best versus the best.

Mosca
02-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Anyone who takes anything about the Pro Bowl seriously... isn't worth taking seriously.

Tom

memphissteelergirl
02-12-2007, 10:22 AM
The Steelers and their fans know what we have in FWP, which is really all that counts- not an annual game which is more of a popularity contest than a true measure of the best versus the best.

AMEN SISTER!! :thumbsup:

:tt02: :tt02:

stlrtruck
02-12-2007, 10:44 AM
I agree with other's sentiments - when FWP is wearing the Red, White, and Blue of the PRO BOWL uniform, I could care less about his stats!

When he's back where he belongs - in the black and gold - I'll care!

floodcitygirl
02-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh....you mean the pro-bowl was played already????!!! :hunch: :chuckle:

Mosca
02-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh....you mean the pro-bowl was played already????!!! :hunch: :chuckle:

Funny you should say that, fcg; I figured to have it on in the background, I was just getting ready to turn it on Sunday when I found out that it was played on Saturday!

Tom

robzombie813
02-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Y'know. I had a good feeling about FWP when I saw him in the preseason of his rookie year, and he has yet to disappoint me.

Who cares what a few haters have to say about our little secret? Keep on hating, guys. While you're crying in your keyboards, Willie's tearing up yet another field.

Ward86MVP
02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Willie had one of the best years ever for a Steelers running back, and it was in a non-playoff year. He plays with intense motivation to prove those who doubt him wrong. Those are the most dangerous players on the field, and I'm glad he plies his trade with the Steelers.

sumo
02-12-2007, 01:28 PM
I think Willie answered all his critics this year including me - he must have worked like a mad man in the offseason between '05 and '06, because he was definetly better this year - he added a lot of power to his game without losing any speed ...

steeler614
02-12-2007, 02:24 PM
it's great to have someone like Willie, he's a leader, positive attitude, not a "me, me, me" type player. he does need to work on the fumbling problem, and eliminate it during critical plays like during the last game against the Bengals, the fumble that should have been a TD was recovered by the Bengals and led to a scoring drive. he is still developing so I expect to see a lot of good things from him.

Hamer
02-12-2007, 03:50 PM

Well said! It's nice to see the guys mixing it up a little bit, but I'll never forget seeing Dermontti Dawson go down with that hamstring in the Pro Bowl back in the late 90s- and that nagged him for the rest of his shortened career.

polamalufan43
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Honestly, I don't really know why people are getting sooooo worked up about it. I mean, it's the Pro Bowl, you aren't really playing for anything and I think it's just a game for the players to play in a relaxed atmosphere.
For anyone that has followed Willie's short career, they should know that he has had a great one, most of the stats are amazing for a young guy who wasn;t even drafted.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Preacher
02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Willie had one of the best years ever for a Steelers running back, and it was in a non-playoff year. He plays with intense motivation to prove those who doubt him wrong. Those are the most dangerous players on the field, and I'm glad he plies his trade with the Steelers.

I think Willie answered all his critics this year including me - he must have worked like a mad man in the offseason between '05 and '06, because he was definetly better this year - he added a lot of power to his game without losing any speed ...

Come on guys and gals!!

He isn't 240 pounds, and built like a tank,

Therefore he MUST SUCK

And please don't give me statistics about his actual ability to run, yards made, etc. the only statistic that matters is his height/weight ratio and how many yards up the middle he can get with 3 guys hanging on him.

polamalufan43
02-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Come on guys and gals!!

He isn't 240 pounds, and built like a tank,

Therefore he MUST SUCK

And please don't give me statistics about his actual ability to run, yards made, etc. the only statistic that matters is his height/weight ratio and how many yards up the middle he can get with 3 guys hanging on him.

Well, he made not be a tank, but his career is still young, and let's not forget that he gained from working out all off season last year. Cowher was happy with that. I'm sure he'll be fine.

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM

:iagree:

Indy_Steelers
02-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Maybe Chad and Carson can purchase Pro Bowl champs rings.:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Anyone who takes anything about the Pro Bowl seriously... isn't worth taking seriously.:cheers: :thumbsup:

It is a game for QBs and receivers and maybe D-backs.

steelegg
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
this is becoming a two-back required league anyways

polamalufan43
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
this is becoming a two-back required league anyways

Well, you cant have one because either A.) they get burned out early, B.) they get injured.

iloveben7
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I still just don't understand why people continue to doubt Willie Parker after all he's been able to accomplish this season!!

Dylan
02-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Edman

I can't agree more

aussiesteelers
02-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Parker last year was IMO our best player. He ran with patience andcould run between the tackles as well as outside. The only reason why he had bad games was because the O-line couldn't block for him and was constantly getting hit at the LOS.

X-Terminator
02-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Anyone who takes anything about the Pro Bowl seriously... isn't worth taking seriously.

Tom

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the bottom line :thumbsup:

SteelersMongol
02-14-2007, 07:44 AM
I know some of you guys say this is meaningless game and the Steelers shouldn't care about being involved in the Pro-Bowl, but people like me who are far from the states actually enjoy seeing black and gold helmets on TV. :D Watching the Pro-Bowl helps me getting to know some significant names from the other teams, but it wouldn't be a lie to say that I watched the game three times (ESPN reruns) just to see the guys who are wearing black and gold helmets. There was too much of Carson and Chad thing, but Parker, Polamalu, and the other Steelers did whatever they could from where I was watching. :D

DJfan
02-14-2007, 09:19 AM
What are you doing in Mongolia?

Elvis
02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
My Opinion Only
I like the Pro Bowl and what it is supposed to do
but I think that everyone , except the players themselves, take it too serious. These players/families are mostly there just for a vacation. The coaches are the ones that want to win the most.. they get that extra cash that doesnt really matter to the superstar players
that are there. Just go and have fun..and most of all
Stay Healthy!!
:helmet:

paw-n-maul-u
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
I still think the steelers need another running back to complement parkers running style. two back systems work. look at almost every team in the playoffs. they all have a legit #2 RB, OBVIOUSLY parker is not going anywhere. he just signed a four or five year deal last year sometime. Indy- addai/rhodes. chicago-benson/jones NE-maroney/dillon Saints-Bush/mcallister. Seahawks Morris/alexander giants-tiki/jacobs. unless we turn into a pass-happy team like philly or cincy, we definitly need another sound option at RB incase parker goes down. noone should question willies heart/talent ... but i think it is safe to say that noone feels comfortable with the rest of our RB's in the event that parker misses an extended period of time

... the only job for our staff is to figure out if that second back is on our roster already or not.

Edman
02-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I still think the steelers need another running back to complement parkers running style. two back systems work. look at almost every team in the playoffs. they all have a legit #2 RB, OBVIOUSLY parker is not going anywhere. he just signed a four or five year deal last year sometime. Indy- addai/rhodes. chicago-benson/jones NE-maroney/dillon Saints-Bush/mcallister. Seahawks Morris/alexander giants-tiki/jacobs. unless we turn into a pass-happy team like philly or cincy, we definitly need another sound option at RB incase parker goes down. noone should question willies heart/talent ... but i think it is safe to say that noone feels comfortable with the rest of our RB's in the event that parker misses an extended period of time

... the only job for our staff is to figure out if that second back is on our roster already or not.

Getting Willie a complimentary backup is what I agree with wholeheartedly. It's just that some fans are saying he isn't a good back at all. That's what this Providence Steel guy is saying.

ironmikefan
02-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I think someone already make the most important point. He didn't get hurt.... that is the one and only thing that should be on every Steeler fans mind!

CanuckCurtain
02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Do you remeber the retirement speech by Dick Hoak? He said something about his guys that found willie parker. Does anybody know who those guys were?

yinzer-inseattle
02-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Do you remeber the retirement speech by Dick Hoak? He said something about his guys that found willie parker. Does anybody know who those guys were?

Here's the article from Steelers.com--- Hoak's take on how they got Willie http://news.steelers.com/article/73362/

As for any doubts that Willie is legit. Read the comments from Hoak and remember that his teammates voted him the 2006 MVP.

Enough said.

polamalufan43
02-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Here's the article from Steelers.com--- Hoak's take on how they got Willie http://news.steelers.com/article/73362/

As for any doubts that Willie is legit. Read the comments from Hoak and remember that his teammates voted him the 2006 MVP.

Enough said.

Yeah, I read that article the day they put it on the site and was like "Wow... he really does mean alot,"

Not like I doubted him, but after reading and hearing so much about him during the end of the season, it showed me that he really means alot to this team, more than I had realized. I also agree with the fact that he didn't get hurt, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try and get someone to compliment him.