PDA

View Full Version : new coaching staff-what do you think?

steeler614
02-12-2007, 01:39 PM
well now that the coaching staff for the 2007 Steelers is in place it's time to evaluate what we got and what good or bad choices were made, starting with none other than...

Head Coach Mike Tomlin-I didn't think he was the right choice at first but after checking him out some and watching his press conference I think we got the right guy for the job. He's a motivator, wants to win and has a good philosophy. Keeping Dick LeBeau as D-Coordinator is a good move. I myself am hoping for a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense that will give us more options. With Tomlin as HC working with LeBeau that very well might happen.

Bruce Arians, Off. Coordinator-I think streamlining the playbook was a great idea. Despite being coordinator for the Browns, well the Browns are the Browns 'nuff said. Arians has a better team to work with and should be a good fit.

Ken Anderson, QB coach-Whipple's replacement a former Cincinnati Bengal is one of their best QB's of all time. despite criticism from his coaching days with the Bengals may be what Ben needs, being that he actually has talent to work with. last year's QB problems were more from Ben's head not being right not so much the coaching. this is more wait and see how it turns out, if he can help get Ben to his full potential then we may be seeing him around for a long time. with Ben now in his prime good coaching will be crucial.

Kirby Wilson, RB coach-has the right attitude, wants to get the best out of his players. with Willie, Krieder, Davenport, and John Kuhn has great talent to work with. Arizona's poor performance and Edgerrin James' lackluster season was really due to a poor O-line, so it's tough to grade the coaching. another wait and see.

Larry Zierlein, Offensive Line coach-a poor choice. we sadly lost Grimm and even though he is one of the best we could have found someone better than this choice. the Bills allowed 45 sacks last season and yes we had a protection problem in 2006 but that wasn't all Grimm's fault, Cowher wouldn't allow him to bench underperforming players. Grimm also has a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl to hang his hat on, as far as I know Zierlien has never had a winning season. I'll say give him a chance one season he could prove me wrong, if the O-line continues to have problems in 2007 this guys gotta go.

Randy Fitchner, WR coach-no idea about this guy, never heard of him.

Ray Horton, DB coach-I think he'll do a better job than Perry. Ike Taylor and Coclough didn't develop under Perry and needed a new coach anyway.

Bob Ligashesky, Special Teams-the St. Louis Rams special teams was ranked what, 29th in the NFL? like the O-line special teams is another major problem area for the Steelers. this guy better fix it or be shown the door.

polamalufan43
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I think we have a pretty solid staff from this point. This probably will change as the season goes on, seeing how they actually work and what they do during the season is alot more acurate then sitting back and judging them before they have even had a chance to work.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Mosca
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Too many times I've seen guys who suck with one team be geniuses with another, so I couldn't guess whether these are good hires or not. I like your analysis, but I couldn't even start to agree or disagree with it; I just have to wait and see.

Tom

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
i think tomlin retaining lebeau, and arians could be his saving grace as an immediate winner as coach. if they were scrapped too (unless we took a saints like gamble and started from scratch with the personel) we would be looking at a top 10 pick next season.

steelegg
02-12-2007, 06:35 PM
retaining lebeau and arians is what i was concerned about, the others are more of a wait and see

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
if tomlin got rid of arians and lebeau, in addition to all the other coaches we got rid of, the next logical move would be to trade these players for salary cap relief and a multitude of picks to start from scratch:

hines ward
joey porter
troy polamalu
alan faneca (possibly)

MACH1
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
if tomlin got rid of arians and lebeau, in addition to all the other coaches we got rid of, the next logical move would be to trade these players for salary cap relief and a multitude of picks to start from scratch:

hines ward
joey porter
troy polamalu
alan faneca (possibly)

That would suck!

polamalufan43
02-12-2007, 08:51 PM
That would suck!

NOOOOOOOOOOO
NEVER! I WILL GO DOWN TO THE FREAKING COMPLEX AND RIOT BEFORE ANYONE DOES THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all seriuosness, I think the Rooney's will stop it before it gets too far. Hines in an inportant aspect to the team, and when you need a ball caught chances are he'll be ready. Troy, one word. UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE. There have been many times when the rooney's said they want to keep him here. Joey, well, he is a awsome LB, and I'll admit I'm alittle two-faced about what to do with him right now, but if he shows up big in the next few months, be all means keep him. Faneca needs to be kept for the older experience and he is probably the only O-line member with a brain that did well. Any of the staff have said what these four have done for the team, and I really dont think/hope that they will leave.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2007, 09:36 PM

hines ward
joey porter
troy polamalu
alan faneca (possibly)

I would trade Joey Porter...Thats it
Troy Polamalu is one of the best defensive players in the nfl.
Hines ward is the heart on the offensive side of the ball.
and Faneca...well....(possibly)..he made the probowl on his name only this year

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I would trade Joey Porter...Thats it
Troy Polamalu is one of the best defensive players in the nfl.
Hines ward is the heart on the offensive side of the ball.
and Faneca...well....(possibly)..he made the probowl on his name only this year

herschel walker was one of the best offensive players in the nfl and the heart on the offensive side of the ball. after firing the coaching staff the cowboys traded him and went on to win 3 of 4 superbowls.

my point is we didnt scrap the whole coaching staff (probably a good thing because we arent a 1-15 team)

however our secondary, lb's wr's and o-line ALL failed us this year. and our backs are too the wall as far as the cap is concerned.

its tomlins job to either be commited to what we got or scrap it like sean paytod did in new orleans. no *****footing around.

ChronoCross
02-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I am at a ?? looking at the coaches we brought in but then look at were they came from and what they had to work with and what we have for them to work with. So only time will really tell. Far as releasing players, I am sure we will hear Porters name more but even the mention of a man like Ward to be released is a joke. Ward is the best all around WR in the game and the heart of the team like others have said. Ward makes plays and blocks happens were other WRs would step out of the way. Ward will go over the middle were other elite WRs do not even want to cross the middle. Ward could of went to another team and got more money but took less to stay with us and ward wants to retire a Steeler and I would love to see that.

I hope the new coaching staff and Coach Tomlin bring the fire back to the Talent that we missed this last season, along with the lack of coaching we missed this last season. People look at last season and try to make judgment of the talent we have when it was a SB high and players not playing with motivation, heart, and the hunger for a SB and was happy with the one we just won. Lets see how the boys do and the new staff does with the boys before any judgment is past. Lets hope that the new staff and tomlin can bring that hunger back. We do have the talent.

Dylan
02-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I like the staff we have...can't wait to see what they can do

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I am at a ?? looking at the coaches we brought in but then look at were they came from and what they had to work with and what we have for them to work with. So only time will really tell. Far as releasing players, I am sure we will hear Porters name more but even the mention of a man like Ward to be released is a joke. Ward is the best all around WR in the game and the heart of the team like others have said. Ward makes plays and blocks happens were other WRs would step out of the way. Ward will go over the middle were other elite WRs do not even want to cross the middle. Ward could of went to another team and got more money but took less to stay with us and ward wants to retire a Steeler and I would love to see that.

I hope the new coaching staff and Coach Tomlin bring the fire back to the Talent that we missed this last season, along with the lack of coaching we missed this last season. People look at last season and try to make judgment of the talent we have when it was a SB high and players not playing with motivation, heart, and the hunger for a SB and was happy with the one we just won. Lets see how the boys do and the new staff does with the boys before any judgment is past. Lets hope that the new staff and tomlin can bring that hunger back. We do have the talent.

1st of all, we hear porters name in someone who underperformed and someone who is not worth the $$$ all the time... yet hines ward is sacred. what hines means to the offense, porter means to the defense. neither did anything spectacular to take us back to the sb. neither did cowher, or the o- line, or ben, or whiz, or taylor, etc.

2nd of all, what does the rams special teams coach now have to work with in pittsburgh that he didnt have in st. louis? a bunch of back ups and 2nd stringers?

ChronoCross
02-13-2007, 01:17 AM
1st of all, we hear porters name in someone who underperformed and someone who is not worth the $$$ all the time... yet hines ward is sacred. what hines means to the offense, porter means to the defense. neither did anything spectacular to take us back to the sb. neither did cowher, or the o- line, or ben, or whiz, or taylor, etc.

2nd of all, what does the rams special teams coach now have to work with in pittsburgh that he didnt have in st. louis? a bunch of back ups and 2nd stringers?

By far I am no porter basher but I since maybe more then others that he wants money that we cannot afford and maybe we do loose him, which I lean more to we loose him. We by far as a team this last season played below what we could achieve. I know porter wants to stay a steeler but like most stars he will only go so low on a contract and we also have to worry about troy, and ben also. All of this players are key in the past success we have had.

St. Louis has a better kicker then we do. Sorry Gardocki's days are numbered, his leg has aged to were he cannot get the ball deep on a constant bases if were lucky he can make it to the 20 yard line on a kick off. Field position is a key in order for us to better are STs we have to change are punter/kicker. Are Guys on the other hand, have better tackling skills, better speed, and purse of the ball. A good deep ball kicker with for say a nice hang time on punts on a constant basis would drastically improve are field position and take off some of the pressure on the defense. Gardocki on the other hand does not have the hang time on punts anymore. Gardocki cannot kick off the deep ball to the end zone on a constant basis, well we only had 4 touch backs because most of the time Gardocki gives them a good field position with the kick alone. We change kickers on special teams moves up at least 6 ranks, some good coaching then puts us in the top 10 STs. Please do not get me wrong, Gardocki in my book is a HoF, but his time is numbered. Keys to the success in our special teams will to get the hunger, motivation and heart back in play and cutting Gardocki, are even asking him to retire. Other wise its going to be another ruff year on Sts. I do not care if we put all of are 1st stringers on STs there still going to start out on the 30 to 40 yard line with Gardocki doing kick offs. Without the hang time on punts were going to have less fair catches and more returns for them to have better field position, all puts pressure on are defense to do more. You could write a big book on what a good kicker would do for are special teams, in how it would help the defense, field position, puts more pressure on the other teams offense. St. Louis does not have the personal we have but they do have a better kicker with players who cannot tackle.

tony hipchest
02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
gardocki only handles punts. jeff reed does the kick offs, but you have helped me make my point. if the problem is inadequate kickers and field position, why replace kevin spencer for someone who has done less with more? if the kickers are the problem its the kickers who need replaced, not the coaching.

DACEB
02-13-2007, 10:08 AM
New coaches, new mentality, renewed accountability. Look out league, same old tradition and that is WINNING!

Stillers43
02-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Good comments on coaches. The only pick I hate is the O-Line Coach. Anyone but an old Browns line coach. Browns QB's have gotten killed! Also, not such a great running game!

Elvis
02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I have 1 big concern
Yeh.. Big Ben being coached by a man that has shown no good things in my eyes. Ken Anderson? are you kiddin me? But I guess we'll just have to wait and see huh?...:helmet: