PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Barber to "Today" Show, NBC Sunday Night Football

alittlejazzbird
02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm wondering if this means Jerome Bettis won't be back on Sunday Night Football?

'Today' show lands retired star Barber
Ex-Giants RB also to work Sunday night football as NBC wins bidding
The Associated Press

NEW YORK - Tiki Barber will work for NBC next year after spending most of the 2006 NFL season entertaining bids from various networks for jobs in both news and sports.

The New York Giants? Pro Bowl running back will be introduced Tuesday at a network news conference, according to a person familiar with the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not directly involved in the contract.

Barber will work both on the ?Today? show and on the network?s Sunday night football show. It is unlikely he would be in the broadcast booth with the longtime team of Al Michaels and John Madden.

Barber, who had worked in the offseason at Fox, had considered offers from that network and ESPN/ABC for news-sports roles.

The 31-year-old Barber announced in October that 2006 would be his final season after 10 years with the Giants.

He finished fourth in the NFL with 1,662 yards rushing, including a career-high 234 in the season finale, a 34-28 win in Washington that got the Giants to the playoffs. For his career, he had 10,449 yards rushing and 5,182 yards receiving, joining Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk as only the third player in NFL history with 10,000 yards rushing and 5,000 receiving for their careers.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17119849/

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 03:17 PM
you wouldnt think they would can jerome so soon. tiki should be excellent on the today show.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2007, 03:22 PM
The NBC Sunday night pre-game needs some work, but IMHO Sharpe rather than Bettis is the one that needs to go. With Barber in at NBC that further steers Cowher to ESPN if he wants to pick up some TV coin next fall.

For every journalism student who wonders whether getting ahead in network or cable "news" today involves talent or celebrity, Tiki Barber getting a gig on the Today Show further answers that question.

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
i had to see if his college background was in communication or journalism cause he seems to be a natural on the all topic show he has on sirius (ronde definitely isnt a natural- although their both good on football related topics)

Academically, Barber earned a degree in Management Information Systems, and was a self-professed "geek" with interests in computers, web design, and programming.

ive heard him talk on topics such as the israeli peace treaty, and different iranian leaders and he was pretty good

alittlejazzbird
02-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Just a little update on this as it relates to Jerome Bettis....

The relevant paragraph of NBC's official press release reads as follows:

"Football Night in America," NBC's primetime NFL studio show which precedes "NBC Sunday Night Football," offers a complete recap of the top stories in the NFL, complete with highlights, analysis and reports from around the league. Barber will join Bob Costas (host), Cris Collinsworth (co-host), Jerome "The Bus" Bettis (analyst) and Peter King (reporter) to comprise the "Football Night in America" studio team. David Neal is the Executive Producer and Sam Flood the Coordinating Producer of "Football Night in America."

Notably absent from the personnel list is Sterling Sharpe, so I guess that means The Bus will be back. I think he and Tiki will be an enjoyable analyst combination.

Elvis
02-14-2007, 01:00 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Who would have ever guessed?
Most of these days atheletes cant really get out here and work for a living...
:helmet:

Hines0wnz
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Tiki is a good addition to any network's show. I've seen him a few times on Fox & Friends and he was nothing short of excellent. I think most people would assume he is a dumb jock until he speaks then they would be the one piping down. Kudos to Tiki!