View Full Version : Marty Fired!!!!

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
ESPN reports Schottenheimer fired.

WTF?

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
ESPN reports Schottenheimer fired.

WTF?wow! if this is true, im thinking he tore into mgmt for not only letting both coordinators getting away, but both in house replacements who left to cleveland and san fransisco. i would be pissed too.

he will have to compete with a commentator seat with cowher but wouldnt it be nice to see them both on espn countdown to bounce thoughts and ideas off eachother?

Stainless Steel
02-12-2007, 08:21 PM
If this is true, I look for SD to slip back into the dulldrums of the football basement rankings once again just like Tampa Bay did after firing the only coach that brought them out of the bottom of the pool, the SB winner this year, Tony Dungy.

Marty was the best thing that happened to SD in a long time.

SteelCzar76
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
he will have to compete with a commentator seat with cowher but wouldnt it be nice to see them both on espn countdown to bounce thoughts and ideas off eachother?

Or perhaps Marty in the commentator's seat discussing Coach Cowher's success as the leader of his former unit ?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Okay...San Diego may get my award for dumbest coaching moves,.....how do you steamroll through the biggest part of the season then lose your coach and both coordinators!!!

..and do it AFTER all the better prospects now have jobs!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Whats with all the if this is true.....Its true..He's been fired....Whos going to coach the chargers? All the top coaches have been hired.
Maybe Parcells will come out of retirement?

Stainless Steel
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SD/9993035

It is confirmed from NFL.com. Crash and Burn!

Petesburgh66
02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-schottenheimerfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Seriously, what took them so long?

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-schottenheimerfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Seriously, what took them so long?

I agree, but doing it now is inexcusable; if you think you need a new HC for a SB contender (e.g. - Tampa Bay in 2002) you do it the day after the playoff loss, not a month later.

Building a staff from scratch (and it will be from scratch) in mid-February is no easy trick.

iloveben7
02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I can't believed they fired Marty!! I thought San Diego had a pretty good chance of going far this year, but not any more without Marty!! He was such a classy guy!!

Kermit
Getting rid of Marty was the right call -- back when they actually had some good replacements available, that is.

The Chargers have a very talented team, but tearing up the coaching staff like this? That's going to hurt...

RoethlisBURGHer
Wow,what a total waste of oxygen San Diego's managment is.

Parcells is done,I don't think he'll come back.And if he did come back,he's still under contract with Dallas and JJ would be demanding a first,second,and possibly thier first rounder in next year's draft.

Whisenhut is coaching Arizona,but Grimm is still available.However I don't see Grimm as AJ Smith's option at HC.

Ron Rivera is available,but SD is a 3-4 team and Rivera runs a 4-3 Cover 2 with Chicago.Would he be willing to keep a 3-4 or would he be admant about running his 4-3 Cover 2?

Cowher says he wants to spend time with his family.Plus,like Parcells,he is still under contract with his former team.The Steelers would demand either the Charger's first and second round picks this year or this year's first and next year's first for the Chargers to pry him from the Steelers grasps.

Does Indy have anyone who is suited to be a HC?What about the Pats,another Bellichick disciple ready to jump at a chance to be a HC.

San Diego is the most promising job of any of the ones that opened up,IMHO.One of the top defenses in the league (even if the D's biggest star is a 'roid user).The league MVP LT...a very good,if not great offensive line...a stud 3-4 NT...clutch kicker...a very good could be great QB in Phillip Rivers...and the best TE in the league,Antonio Gates.

sumo
02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
I do think it was inexcusable for him to lose to the Patsies - my theory is, AJ has somebody in mind already - there is plenty of time and plenty of good candidates - barring some major injuries, the Bolts will be in contention again next year. Barry Switzer could come out of retirement and take that team to the playoffs...

PisnNapalm
02-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow... I gotta say I'm a bit surprised.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
I do think it was inexcusable for him to lose to the Patsies - my theory is, AJ has somebody in mind already - there is plenty of time and plenty of good candidates - barring some major injuries, the Bolts will be in contention again next year. Barry Switzer could come out of retirement and take that team to the playoffs...

So the master plan was to bring Marty back for a year, then lose both coordinators and several other coaches, and then fire Marty because of the turmoil relating to hiring so many replacement coaches? :sofunny:

Somehow I doubt being in this position in mid-February was what AJ had in mind.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
The only coach that I can think off that was considered a bright up-and-comer..that hasnt already been hired is Ron Rivera from the Bears....and he is from Fort Ord California!...and is of hispanic descent!...He could be VERY popular in San Diego!!!!

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
there are 2 coaching jobs i thought whiz was tailor made for in this order:

1. SD
2. ATL

hes out of the question. i think grimm is the most qualified out their to be a HC (maybe not the best) with the current group of players, and he could be a good leader for them. unfortunately he would have candidates tomlin and jerry jones passed over, to assemble a staff.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only coach that I can think off that was considered a bright up-and-comer..that hasnt already been hired is Ron Rivera from the Bears....and he is from Fort Ord California!...and is of hispanic descent!...He could be VERY popular in San Diego!!!!

hmmm. grimm may be the most qualifies, especially considering the people currently in place but rivera could very well be the best man for the job.

ohiosteelerfan20
02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Marty will get another job.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-12-2007, 10:15 PM
there are 2 coaching jobs i thought whiz was tailor made for in this order:

1. SD
2. ATL

hes out of the question. i think grimm is the most qualified out their to be a HC (maybe not the best) with the current group of players, and he could be a good leader for them. unfortunately he would have candidates tomlin and jerry jones passed over, to assemble a staff.

hmmm. grimm may be the most qualifies, especially considering the people currently in place but rivera could very well be the best man for the job.

I dont Know Tony..the more I think about it..the more I think that San Diego FO can save face and make a very popular decision by hiring Rivera...It just makes soooo much sense

California Born...California College....and of Hispanic heritage.....custom fit for San Diego!

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2007, 10:17 PM
I dont Know Tony..the more I think about it..the more I think that San Diego FO can save face and make a very popular decision by hiring Rivera...It just makes soooo much sense

Or make a run at Pete Carroll since national signing day was last week?

Edman
02-12-2007, 10:20 PM
If the Chargers manage to crash and burn next year, I will trace it all to this offseason. San Diego has a great core of players and the FA decided to blow it up by firing the coach after a 14-2 season. AFTER losing both coordinators and past the coaching carousel no less!

Once again, San Diego manages to take something so promising and butcher it. Just my take on it.

Preacher
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM

California Born...California College....and of Hispanic heritage.....custom fit for San Diego!

I could see riveria going there... simply going home. Especially with the winter Chicago is having!! Whats more... what are the chances they have already made a phone call or two and had someone in mind before they made this move.

I just can't beleive that they would make this big a move this late in the year without having plan B.

CantStop85
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Bold move...SD's still got the personnel to succeed even with a mediocre head coach, but they better find one hell of a replacement if they don't want to get torched.

Chronicgaming
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I guess I'm a little surprised. On one hand, you have Marty's terrible playoff record. On the other hand, Rivers really didn't do what was needed to win that game either. While I think Marty got the shaft, at least he won't have to deal with the Charger's GM anymore.

CanuckCurtain
02-12-2007, 10:41 PM
The official site of the nfl, foxsports says that as well

CanuckCurtain
02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I meant to say that those sites reported that he got fired. I appologize. LOL. Iam a steelerfever virgin.

Livinginthe past
02-12-2007, 10:52 PM
This is a move that may work out in the long run, but I dont see this being any part of a 'strategy'.

You have to wonder where the players minds are on this - its one thing to lose a top coach when its expected (some Steeler players are struggling to adjust) but its another to lose the guy out of the blue like this.

I wonder if any of their top names will demand a move to another franchise?

They need a defensive co-ord and HC who will utilise the same 3-4 that SD run last year - I cannot imagine that you would turn your back on a system that your players turned into a 14-2 season.

The fans must be sick.

NM

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM

California Born...California College....and of Hispanic heritage.....custom fit for San Diego!orale vato! i agree 100%. grimm may be more qualified (on paper) but if rivera could adapt to the personnel he very well could be the best MAN for the job.

it makes a hell of a lot of sense. i think rivera would snap it up in a heartbeat too (and as the last coaching hire, wouldnt be too expensive, either)

tony hipchest
02-12-2007, 11:02 PM
You have to wonder where the players minds are on this - its one thing to lose a top coach when its expected (some Steeler players are struggling to adjust)

NM:jawdrop:

what players??? have you heard something us "in the know" havent???

(infact, off-topic, false misrepresentations such as this, are better off served in the blast furnace)

X-Terminator
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Somewhere in Erie, boLTfan is probably happy and sad at the same time...:wink02:

SteelShooter
02-12-2007, 11:37 PM
:dang: All I can say is.............................DOH! :dang:

wiqidjuggalo
02-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Chargers fire Schottenheimer
Bad relationship with GM Smith a factor
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

By Bernie Wilson, The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired last night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a home playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer. The coach had a year left on his contract and will be owed more than $3 million.

"When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact," Spanos said in a statement. "Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment."

The firing was first reported by ESPN.

Schottenheimer didn't immediately return messages left on his office and cell phones.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday, following offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and two other assistants out of town for better jobs.

Although Schottenheimer said last week that change was inevitable, Smith sounded concerned, saying, "Both in the same year -- Wow."

Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski became Cleveland's offensive coordinator, and linebackers coach Greg Manusky was hired as San Francisco's defensive coordinator.

Running backs coach Clarence Shelmon, who has never been a coordinator, was promoted to replace Cameron.

Three days after the 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Schottenheimer declined the team's offer of a $4.5 million, one-year extension through 2008, which came with a club-option $1 million buyout. Spanos and Smith seemed visibly angry that the coach turned them down.

Schottenheimer has been at odds with Smith since the 2005 season, apparently over personnel decisions by the GM.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

His 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth in a row in the postseason, dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

He was 47-33 in five seasons with the Chargers, including 35 wins and two AFC West titles in the last three seasons.

polamalufan43
02-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Once again, it just proves (after going 14-2) that it's not how well you do your job, it's how well you're liked. If you p*ss off the guy above you........... see you!

Personally, I would reserve the word 'dysfunctional' for a team like...... ummmm..... the Bengals!!

I guess a lot of those people who were picking San Diego already for next years Super Bowl are now having second thoughts?

This surprises me that it happened so quickly, I figured they would have waited a while longer. Oh well, the new coach search begins... I wonder what he did to annoy Smith.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Newzfoxjr
02-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Weird.

I bet that BoLT guy is happy though. :o

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Chargers late to the hiring party

By: MICHAEL KLITZING - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Six teams had already taken their pick of the best coaches on the job market by the time the Chargers got around to firing Marty Schottenheimer.

And now, more than a week after the Super Bowl, the Chargers are starting their search.

"I'm going to meet with Dean tonight," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith late Monday, referring to team president Dean Spanos. "I have a list of names. I'll run them by Dean Spanos, and we'll decide who we're going to contact and then we'll find out if they're interested."

Smith said he has no timetable for hiring the next Chargers coach -- the first head coaching hire of his career -- but he doesn't expect it to?take long.

"I don't see any longer than a couple weeks." he said.

Said Spanos: "I would like to get a head coach in here as soon as possible, but I also want to make the right decision. We're going to go through the process and interview a list of candidates that both he and I think are viable candidates for this job."

What's certain is that the list is not as long as it could have been.

In January, the Pittsburgh Steelers snapped up Mike Tomlin, the Arizona Cardinals nabbed Ken Whisenhunt, the Atlanta Falcons snared Bobby Petrino, and the Oakland Raiders gambled on Lane Kiffin.

Recently, the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys yanked a pair of assistants?away from?the Chargers, hiring Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, respectively.

Smith said Monday that Phillips would have gotten consideration to replace Schottenheimer if he had not taken the Cowboys' job.

"The pool of candidates might be less, but there's plenty of good football coaches out there," Smith said. "It's a fair statement to say that some of the other people aren't there. That's accurate, but we'll do the best we can."

The Chargers might not have to look far.

It has long been rumored that USC's Pete Carroll might want to take another crack at coaching in the NFL, where he was fired after short head coaching stints with the New England Patriots and New York Jets.

Smith said Monday he had not spoken with Carroll.

Another intriguing possibility is a former assistant of Carroll's, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. Chow, who interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals head coaching opening, was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina State when Philip Rivers was a freshman.

Other assistants who interviewed for head coaching openings this year include Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner, San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell.

Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton would appear to be most logical internal candidate. He interviewed for the head coaching position with the Raiders in each of the past two years.

Perhaps the biggest name on the open market is Bill Cowher, who resigned as Pittsburgh Steelers coach in January. But it should be noted that Cowher is a disciple and friend of Schottenheimer.

Another long shot with a Super Bowl pedigree is former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson. He hasn't coached in seven years, but he's known to be a good friend of Chargers president Dean Spanos.

Still other coaches with extensive head coaching experience are available:

> Steve Mariucci, who took the 49ers to the playoffs four times, might have interest in returning to coaching after spending a year working as a television analyst. Mariucci recently bought a home in the county.

> Jim Mora Jr. was recently hired as the secondary coach of the Seattle Seahawks after being fired by the Falcons. No one expects him to remain an assistant for long.

> Dennis Green, who was recently fired by the Arizona Cardinals, has a career record of 113-94 and owns a home in Del Mar.

> Mike Martz, the former St. Louis Rams head coach and current Detroit Lions offensive coordinator, has a career record of 52-32 with one Super Bowl appearance. Chargers quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell was a member of his staff in St. Louis.

> Dan Reeves took both the Broncos and Falcons to the Super Bowl and has said recently that he's interested in getting back into coaching.

> Norv Turner, the 49ers offensive coordinator, was a strong candidate for the Cowboys' opening. He spent a season as Chargers offensive coordinator in 2001.

polamalufan43
02-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Chargers late to the hiring party

By: MICHAEL KLITZING - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Six teams had already taken their pick of the best coaches on the job market by the time the Chargers got around to firing Marty Schottenheimer.

And now, more than a week after the Super Bowl, the Chargers are starting their search.

"I'm going to meet with Dean tonight," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith late Monday, referring to team president Dean Spanos. "I have a list of names. I'll run them by Dean Spanos, and we'll decide who we're going to contact and then we'll find out if they're interested."

Smith said he has no timetable for hiring the next Chargers coach -- the first head coaching hire of his career -- but he doesn't expect it to?take long.

"I don't see any longer than a couple weeks." he said.

Said Spanos: "I would like to get a head coach in here as soon as possible, but I also want to make the right decision. We're going to go through the process and interview a list of candidates that both he and I think are viable candidates for this job."

What's certain is that the list is not as long as it could have been.

In January, the Pittsburgh Steelers snapped up Mike Tomlin, the Arizona Cardinals nabbed Ken Whisenhunt, the Atlanta Falcons snared Bobby Petrino, and the Oakland Raiders gambled on Lane Kiffin.

Recently, the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys yanked a pair of assistants?away from?the Chargers, hiring Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, respectively.

Smith said Monday that Phillips would have gotten consideration to replace Schottenheimer if he had not taken the Cowboys' job.

"The pool of candidates might be less, but there's plenty of good football coaches out there," Smith said. "It's a fair statement to say that some of the other people aren't there. That's accurate, but we'll do the best we can."

The Chargers might not have to look far.

It has long been rumored that USC's Pete Carroll might want to take another crack at coaching in the NFL, where he was fired after short head coaching stints with the New England Patriots and New York Jets.

Smith said Monday he had not spoken with Carroll.

Another intriguing possibility is a former assistant of Carroll's, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. Chow, who interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals head coaching opening, was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina State when Philip Rivers was a freshman.

Other assistants who interviewed for head coaching openings this year include Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner, San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell.

Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton would appear to be most logical internal candidate. He interviewed for the head coaching position with the Raiders in each of the past two years.

Perhaps the biggest name on the open market is Bill Cowher, who resigned as Pittsburgh Steelers coach in January. But it should be noted that Cowher is a disciple and friend of Schottenheimer.

Another long shot with a Super Bowl pedigree is former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson. He hasn't coached in seven years, but he's known to be a good friend of Chargers president Dean Spanos.

Still other coaches with extensive head coaching experience are available:

> Steve Mariucci, who took the 49ers to the playoffs four times, might have interest in returning to coaching after spending a year working as a television analyst. Mariucci recently bought a home in the county.

> Jim Mora Jr. was recently hired as the secondary coach of the Seattle Seahawks after being fired by the Falcons. No one expects him to remain an assistant for long.

> Dennis Green, who was recently fired by the Arizona Cardinals, has a career record of 113-94 and owns a home in Del Mar.

> Mike Martz, the former St. Louis Rams head coach and current Detroit Lions offensive coordinator, has a career record of 52-32 with one Super Bowl appearance. Chargers quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell was a member of his staff in St. Louis.

> Dan Reeves took both the Broncos and Falcons to the Super Bowl and has said recently that he's interested in getting back into coaching.

> Norv Turner, the 49ers offensive coordinator, was a strong candidate for the Cowboys' opening. He spent a season as Chargers offensive coordinator in 2001.

Didn't know Ron Rivera was still looking for a job. I honestly doubt they will go with Dennis Green, after his rant which all I really got outa that was the bears were who he thought they were. Dan Reeves might be a good pick considering he has Championship experience. Norv Turner will have a good chance because he has had a history with the Chargers. As for the current WR coach, i don't know. He has a good chance, but you never know what will happen.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Whomever gets hired is going to be behind the curve assembling a staff.

Major, major screwup by not firing Marty a month ago. Last time a team this good fired its coach this late was when Jones fired Johnson, but that was a lot stronger team and my recollection was Switzer had a full staff already in place.

The talent is there but losing all these coaches has to hurt.

IMHO the Bolts are now behind Indy and the Pats as AFC SB favorites and may now be behind Denver in their own division.

HometownGal
02-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I'm not at all surprised by Marty's firing, though I believe him to be a good coach overall. There have been rumors of disdain between Marty and Spanos for years and losing a couple of his right hand men may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Wherever you go, Marty - much luck!

I think out of all of the candidates LLT lists above, I believe Dan Reeves would be the best fit for the Bolts. Jmho.

BOXCAR JOEY
02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
i can see the chargers goin after rivera. hes a great d coordinator and he probably has a great head for offense.

Preacher
02-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I know there is a whole thread dedicated to this...

But after all.. Thank God for the Rooney's!:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
norv turner has the SD connection and has done wonders developing aikman and alex smith. he would probably be good with rivers. mike singletary is just a lb coach so he could easilly be promoted to d-coord and give the chargers the satisfaction of raiding the staff of the team that demolished them in their only sb appearance...

boLT fan
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
THERE IS A GOD!!

Atlanta Dan
02-13-2007, 02:19 PM
THERE IS A GOD!!

But in passing judgment on the 2007 Chargers season will He be vengeful or merciful?:smile:

boLT fan - Interested to hear your take on why this finally went off the tracks yesterday and who gets the HC job now.

Livinginthe past
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
There was a 'danger' that with the losses to the coaching staff that Schotty was going to go back to a more 'hands on' approach - which must have had the Charger faithful breaking out in cold sweats.

I guess that may have played a part in his dismissal - the refusal to continue taking a back seat when the action heated up.

Some coaches are great talent evaluators, but not so hot in the heat of the moment under intense pressure.

He'd probably make a good VP of player personnel.

As I mentioned before, the Chargers will probably have to find a coach who runs not just a 3-4 D, but the same type that San Diego ran last year.

I can't imagine that the players are going to remain silent on this issue for to much longer - I expect someone like Drayton Florence to let us know what he thinks sometime soon.

NM

sumo
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
So the master plan was to bring Marty back for a year, then lose both coordinators and several other coaches, and then fire Marty because of the turmoil relating to hiring so many replacement coaches? :sofunny:

Somehow I doubt being in this position in mid-February was what AJ had in mind.

My point wasn't stated clearly, so I deserve your abuse - what I was trying to say is - AJ has a replacement or replacements in mind and this team has enough talent that I don't think it's a big deal that it happened now - thus the reference to Barry Switzer coaching the Cowboys to illustrate even a complete tool of a coach will do well with the talent in SD....ok so this point might not be well stated either...I'm a little off these days

boLT fan
02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
There was a 'danger' that with the losses to the coaching staff that Schotty was going to go back to a more 'hands on' approach - which must have had the Charger faithful breaking out in cold sweats.

I guess that may have played a part in his dismissal - the refusal to continue taking a back seat when the action heated up.

Some coaches are great talent evaluators, but not so hot in the heat of the moment under intense pressure.

He'd probably make a good VP of player personnel.

As I mentioned before, the Chargers will probably have to find a coach who runs not just a 3-4 D, but the same type that San Diego ran last year.

I can't imagine that the players are going to remain silent on this issue for to much longer - I expect someone like Drayton Florence to let us know what he thinks sometime soon.

NM

Yep, this firing showed that Aj Smith had no confidence in Marty running the show himself. It's a great day today. :cheers:

Atlanta Dan
02-14-2007, 07:07 AM
My point wasn't stated clearly, so I deserve your abuse - what I was trying to say is - AJ has a replacement or replacements in mind and this team has enough talent that I don't think it's a big deal that it happened now - thus the reference to Barry Switzer coaching the Cowboys to illustrate even a complete tool of a coach will do well with the talent in SD....ok so this point might not be well stated either...I'm a little off these days

Oh, no abuse intended - I was throwing my rock at AJ & Spanos.

Sorry if you thought I was dissing you.

Big D
02-14-2007, 08:24 AM
early indications are that rex ryan is the front runner. That hire would make sense considering ryan runs the 3-4. I wouldnt be surprised if pete caroll is a little intersted in this job. Espically since there could be trouble in usc future with reggie bush.

Elvis
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Chargers are Stupid
Marty was the right man for that job, and now the Chargers may go down hill with all their changes that are gonna happen now. All their assistant coaches will have to be replaced and
now their Head Coach.. Not Good~~~
:helmet:

boLT fan
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Chargers are Stupid
Marty was the right man for that job, and now the Chargers may go down hill with all their changes that are gonna happen now. All their assistant coaches will have to be replaced and
now their Head Coach.. Not Good~~~
:helmet:

How are the Chargers stupid? By firing a coach that can win anything after his assistants were fired? If we would have kept him, he would've been fired after this year anyway and then we would have new assistants. That would be 3 differen't coaching staffs in 3 years. Marty will never win anything.

Ya, the Chargers are stupid. :yawn:

Livinginthe past
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
The intelligence of this move will probably be determined by who will succeed Shotty.

There is a hell of a lot of talent on that team, but there are some areas of team discipline that could be addresed better - something Marty didn't seem to keen on.

No player should catch on interception and then fumble on 4th down and then say he'd 'do the same again' - and the personal fouls in the closing stages of the Patriots game didnt help them at all.

I think San Diego have made the right move.

NM

jethro1925
02-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Can you believe the luck of the new head coach. He is stepping into a playoff caliber team. I think they waited too long to fire him because some good names have been hired

Polamalus_Angel
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
If this is true, I look for SD to slip back into the dulldrums of the football basement rankings once again just like Tampa Bay did after firing the only coach that brought them out of the bottom of the pool, the SB winner this year, Tony Dungy.

Marty was the best thing that happened to SD in a long time.

I agree. I sure hope A.J. believes in karma.

Polamalus_Angel
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
How are the Chargers stupid? By firing a coach that can win anything after his assistants were fired? If we would have kept him, he would've been fired after this year anyway and then we would have new assistants. That would be 3 differen't coaching staffs in 3 years. Marty will never win anything.

Ya, the Chargers are stupid. :yawn:

If that's the case why let Marty hang around for an extra 3 weeks? If he would never be capable of winning "anything" they should have fired him after the Patriot loss before both coordinators were hired by other franchises. That sir, is why folks are calling the Charger front office stupid. Besides he wouldn't have been fired anyway this would be the last year of his contract that's more comparable to him resigning.

silver & black
02-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Sorry boLT fan, I know I don't have to say it, but... I think this is hillarious!

No HC, no OC, no DC... and I'm hearing rumors that the GM will be gone after the draft. Didn't Marty get fired because he couldn't get along with the GM? How much sense does it make to fire the GM, now that Marty is gone? Why lose both of them?

This just warms the heart of this Raider fan! I can see the dolts going back to being the door mat of the AFC West after this series of moves!... And they call the Raiders dysfunctional!!! LMAO!!!

NV STEELERS 723
02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry boLT fan, I know I don't have to say it, but... I think this is hillarious!

No HC, no OC, no DC... and I'm hearing rumors that the GM will be gone after the draft. Didn't Marty get fired because he couldn't get along with the GM? How much sense does it make to fire the GM, now that Marty is gone? Why lose both of them?

This just warms the heart of this Raider fan! I can see the dolts going back to being the door mat of the AFC West after this series of moves!... And they call the Raiders dysfunctional!!! LMAO!!!

Rivers will go through some growing pains this season...teams have film on him now, but to say they will struggle.....it won't happen, not as long as LT is playing and he stays healthy...as for the raiders.......they have a lock on last place for some years to come.....

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
i think the timing was a conspearacy move,just out of spite for marty. it was no accident that they waited till the coaching vacancys were filled.

boLT fan
02-16-2007, 08:32 PM

1) It wasn't really our fault we lost our OC and DC.
2) Firing our HC was a better decision than keeping him, he'll never win shit in his useless life as a coach.
3) I'm pretty sure you got the "fire the GM after the draft" BS from profootballtalk, so i'll just ignore that. There's no way he gets fired, he's done nothing but great things since he got here.
4) I don't see how it's so dysfunctional. We fired our HC because no one has confidence in him without his HC and DC. Big deal.
5) And don't worry, no one will take away the "Most Dysfunctional" trophy away from the Raiders.

i think the timing was a conspearacy move,just out of spite for marty. it was no accident that they waited till the coaching vacancys were filled.

Again, for the 80th time. Marty was fired because he lost his OC and DC. If he stayed, he would get fired next year and it would be another coaching staff. That would be three in four years. It was best to fire him now.

Also, don't know how much credibility this guy has, but wow if it's true.
Steve,

Just caught the tail-end of your show this morning when you were talking about Schottenheimer and downloading the playoff stuff from I-Tunes.

I know somebody that had full audio access to that game. What he said, was mind-blowing.

You'll remember the infamous 4th and 11 call that probably doomed SD in the first quarter. This was the exchange that was heard “down-the-line” between Marty and Cam Cameron.

Marty: We're going for it.

Cameron: No f'ing way coach, we're kicking.

Marty: Find a play. We're going for it.

From then on it was a huge argument with cursing left and right. They had to call a time out and when Rivers came over he said, "What's going on, why aren't we kicking the field goal?"

So early in the second quarter, Marty yells into the mic, "Goddamnit, I'm so hyped up someone needs to get over here and calm me down." So the special teams coach comes over to him and talks to him and Marty says, "I was pulling into the parking lot today and I decided we were going to be aggressive. People don't think I can be aggressive but I decided driving in that we were going to be." And the ST coach says, "Coach. You can't let the outside stuff get to you." I think it's interesting, at best, that Schottenheimer was making decisions in the parking lot with regard to strategy.

All told, the guy said it was pretty unbelievable. Anyway, you probably will not be seeing those clips on any upcoming special on the life and times of coach Marty Schottenheimer but I thought you'd enjoy hearing about it.

Sincerely,
“Deep Shield”
http://czabe.com/daily/archives/2007/02/marty_the_man_m.html

Stainless Steel
02-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Bolt fan,

If Marty was so bad, why wasn't he fired earlier so either the OC or DC could take his place rather than losing EVERYTHING?

This is why we see this as another goof up on the part of the Bolts management.

Now they have nothing and the best of the coaches have been picked from and are under contract. Well, maybe Parsells is looking for a home in California.

silver & black
02-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Rivers will go through some growing pains this season...teams have film on him now, but to say they will struggle.....it won't happen, not as long as LT is playing and he stays healthy...as for the raiders.......they have a lock on last place for some years to come.....

You may be right about the Raiders, you may not... time will tell.

I never meant to suggest that the Chargers will be in the basement this coming year, they are too good a team for that. It was just a little friendly barb directed at boLTfan.

I'm sure the Raiders will finish last in the division again this year, with what is almost an entirely new coaching staff and offensive direction. If we can win 7 games I will be thrilled, but thats probably a streach right now too. On the other hand, it is the NFL, and strange things happen!

Good luck to everyone here on the upcoming season, and may your off seasons be fruitfull! :cheers:

tony hipchest
02-17-2007, 10:09 AM
On the other hand, it is the NFL, and strange things happen!

Good luck to everyone here on the upcoming season, and may your off seasons be fruitfull! :cheers:yeah, sure. you say this AFTER the steelers lose to the raiders :dang: :banging: :dang:

:smile:

(unfortunately if we did make it into the playoffs we would run into the ravens eventually and probably get smacked for a 3rd time)

silver & black
02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah, sure. you say this AFTER the steelers lose to the raiders :dang: :banging: :dang:

:smile:

(unfortunately if we did make it into the playoffs we would run into the ravens eventually and probably get smacked for a 3rd time)

I know what you mean. It seems that every so often the mighty have to drop a few rungs on the ladder (whoever made that rule should be shot!) ... but did the Raiders have to drop all the way to the ground?:dang: Right now, I would be happy just to be on the ladder! :sofunny:

boLT fan
02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Bolt fan,

If Marty was so bad, why wasn't he fired earlier so either the OC or DC could take his place rather than losing EVERYTHING?

This is why we see this as another goof up on the part of the Bolts management.

Now they have nothing and the best of the coaches have been picked from and are under contract. Well, maybe Parsells is looking for a home in California.

Seriously people, do you read my posts? WE WERE GOING TO KEEP MARTY IF NO ONE GOT FIRED. BUT SINCE BOTH CORRIDNATORS GOT FIRED, NO ONE HAD CONFIDENCE IN MARTY SO HE GOT FIRED. And no, Parcells is not coming here.

As far as people saying that all the good coaches are taken, that's not true. Aj Smith wants a defensive guy, and pretty much all the coaches that were already taken were offensive. Aj has a huge supply of gooc coaches to chose from. Personally, I hope it's Rex Ryan from Baltimore.

silver & black
02-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Seriously people, do you read my posts? WE WERE GOING TO KEEP MARTY IF NO ONE GOT FIRED. BUT SINCE BOTH CORRIDNATORS GOT FIRED, NO ONE HAD CONFIDENCE IN MARTY SO HE GOT FIRED. And no, Parcells is not coming here.

As far as people saying that all the good coaches are taken, that's not true. Aj Smith wants a defensive guy, and pretty much all the coaches that were already taken were offensive. Aj has a huge supply of gooc coaches to chose from. Personally, I hope it's Rex Ryan from Baltimore.

To tell you the truth, I was hoping Rob Ryan was going to be promoted to HC, and if not Rob, I was hoping for Rex. I think he would do good things in San Diego... you would be fortunate if you could hire him. Rivera is still available too.

tony hipchest
02-17-2007, 11:21 AM

As far as people saying that all the good coaches are taken, that's not true. Aj Smith wants a defensive guy, and pretty much all the coaches that were already taken were offensive. Aj has a huge supply of gooc coaches to chose from. Personally, I hope it's Rex Ryan from Baltimore.i will laugh at any steelerfan who implies the chargers are screwed cause they lost an excellent head coach and 2 great coordinators, who were more than qualified to be HC's themselves, only to get stuck with a no name candidate.

hmmmm.... sounds familiar.

NV STEELERS 723
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
To tell you the truth, I was hoping Rob Ryan was going to be promoted to HC, and if not Rob, I was hoping for Rex. I think he would do good things in San Diego... you would be fortunate if you could hire him. Rivera is still available too.

Are you talking about Rex Grossman ???... he would make a better coach than pro QB...

NV STEELERS 723
02-17-2007, 11:11 PM

I read all your posts...they are good.:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2007, 01:44 AM

hmmmmm....was cameron fired?? i thought he took the miami job about the 3rd week of january....:huh: ...when was shotty fired??? 3 weeks later??...after he hired new assistants.