PDA

View Full Version : Restructuring the O-line

DACEB
02-13-2007, 01:18 PM
I have heard some things to the effect that Starks might like to join Whiz and Grimm in Arizona. He is a FA, do you think it's possible we could get a 2nd round pick for him. It would clear up some cap space and Colon would fill right in nicely IMO. We would then have two 2nd round picks to play with.

I was also thinking maybe Simmons moves to the center position and bringing Kemo in at RG. Then we could have Okobi as backup at center and guard and Essex backup at tackle. That still leaves Brooks and Torrey backups at tackle and Phillips backup at center. We really need to draft a guard because we would be thin and Faneca is getting up there in age and his contract will be coming up.

So what do you think; LT Smith, LG Faneca, C Simmons, RG Kemoeatu, RT Colon

polamalufan43
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
I have heard some things to the effect that Starks might like to join Whiz and Grimm in Arizona. He is a FA, do you think it's possible we could get a 2nd round pick for him. It would clear up some cap space and Colon would fill right in nicely IMO. We would then have two 2nd round picks to play with.

I was also thinking maybe Simmons moves to the center position and bringing Kemo in at RG. Then we could have Okobi as backup at center and guard and Essex backup at tackle. That still leaves Brooks and Torrey backups at tackle and Phillips backup at center. We really need to draft a guard because we would be thin and Faneca is getting up there in age and his contract will be coming up.

Colon will be great as long as he can control his temper and the same Kemoeatu. Faneca will probably stay here throughout the end of his career.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Preacher
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
I think that would be GREAT... Man would that ever be a mean right side of the line. Both of them just have ATTITUDE.

Now, I actually think Chucky would be the better center. However, It would be nice to have Kendall Simmons as a backup for the entire line. Even though he stunck it up last year, for a back up, we really couldn't do any better.

OneForTheToe
02-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, Chucky would probably be my choice as the starter, unless he falls flat or Smmons goes nuts at center. I think Starks is a RFA? Usually RFA's don't leave.

Elvis
02-13-2007, 04:13 PM

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I think this might be alright but I think that we are paying Okobi way too much $$$ to be a backup dont you? I think that we need a true LT instead of Marvel Smith.. he is more suited for the RT spot. I just dont see Simmons as our starting Center.. I think that is where Okobi comes in and must carry on a Steelers Tradition..:helmet:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I would put either Philip or Okobi at center.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
LT-Marvel Smith LG-Alan Faneca C-Chukky Okobi RG-Max Starks RT-Trai Essex

02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Starks is a RFA. He will receive a tender offer from the Steelers, which I assume he will sign. I would bet that the Steelers are not too concerned about Starks being signed away by another team, so I would assume he does not receive a high tender offer. I would guess at this point if Arizona, or any other team wanted him, it would probably cost a 3rd round pick in return compensation. This is all assumption at this point, we will know exactly how much compensation Starks would fetch if signed away, once the Steelers tender him an offer. I highly doubt the Steelers would sign him to a long term contract at this time, and even if they do have plans to try and sign Starks to a long term deal, they will tender him first, and work on a long term deal in camp, like they did with Ike last year. I would think the Steelers would be ecstatic if they could get third rounder for Starks.

As for the make up of the line for the 07 season, I think the only jobs that are safe are Smith at LT, and Faneca at LG. The other three spots are up for grabs. I think the new staff will have no favorites going into the battle for spots, and the three best players should get the starting jobs. I would agree that Smith is better suited for RT, but he makes LT money, and there currently is not anybody else on the roster who would be a better LT. Besides Smith is not as bad as some make him out to be. Sure he gets beat on occasion, but all LTs do. After all, they are usually the ones that have to take on the best pass rushers. Just think back to the 03 season when he was hurt, and the Steelers tried several other options, including Fanaca, at LT. It was a disaster. I personally am intrigued with Marvin Phillips. Do not count him out as the starting center. If I had to guess the starting O-line for game 1 next season, I would say Smith at LT, Fanaca at LG, Okabi at C, Simmons at RG, and Colon at RT. That could all change depending on the draft, possible loss of Starks, and injuries suffered during the preseason. Should make for some exciting battles.

Stlrs4Life
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Wierd how people read articles and take it the wrong way. Starks simply talked to Oliver Ross in Arizona, and Ross stated that he's glad to be working with Grimm again. And Starks is from Arizona, so all this means that he wants to play for the Cardinals. LOL at some people.

HometownGal
02-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Wierd how people read articles and take it the wrong way. Starks simply talked to Oliver Ross in Arizona, and Ross stated that he's glad to be working with Grimm again. And Starks is from Arizona, so all this means that he wants to play for the Cardinals. LOL at some people.

Eggz-actly. Don't you just love the off-season and the grinding of the rumor mill? :sofunny:

Starks isn't going anywhere. I hope he can revert back to the Max Starks we saw in the 2005 season. He was getting manhandled at the line this past season.

SteelCzar76
02-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Eggz-actly. Don't you just love the off-season and the grinding of the rumor mill? :sofunny:

Starks isn't going anywhere. I hope he can revert back to the Max Starks we saw in the 2005 season. He was getting manhandled at the line this past season.

Well said HtG. I expect Starks to rebound from his often poor play this season. I honestly believe that his problems this year were a matter of lack of focus,... as oppossed to marginal ability.

Dylan
02-13-2007, 08:51 PM
To me i think the center position should be given to Okobi. he has waited his time and to me has proven he can play some ball.

DACEB
02-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Sorry, wasn't trying to churn the mill. It's not like we haven't heard anyone claim their loyalty to Grimm, and I guess it would be out of the question for anyone to want to work close to home. Maybe I should have asked, if we could get a 2nd round pick for him would it be worth letting him go?

No one wants to see Ben on his back. Colon did a good job when he came in at RT.
Again, would it be worth letting him go for the cap space and a 2nd round pick??

My thoughts on moving Simmons to center are based on the fact that we have some mammoth NT's in the AFC.

SteelCzar76
02-14-2007, 07:27 AM
[/I] would it be worth letting him go for the cap space and a 2nd round pick??

I would 'pull the trigger' so to speak regarding a trade for Starks if that was the case. However i don't believe any team would give us a 2nd rounder for him.

02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
The Steelers are not going to trade Starks. He is a RFA. If Arizona, or any other team wants to offer him a contract, they can. Starks will have a predetermined value based on the tender offer he receives from the front office. Say for example the Cardinals really do want Starks. They can offer him a contract. The Steelers will have a week to decide whether to match the contract, or let Starks leave for the predetermined draft pick. I think the Steeler would probably let him walk. Starks was a 3rd round pick, so I beleive he would fetch at least a 3rd in return. I also do not think the Cardinals or anybody else would offer a contract if Starks would cost more than a 3rd rounder in return. If he is in Latrobe next summer, he will have to win his job. I think Colon is going to claim the RT spot.

coachspeak33
02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
In my opinion...Our starting linemen will consist of players who are already on our roster...the steelers will not draft a O-linemen until day 2 of the draft....

maybe they find a guy that they cant pass up in round 3....our current o line depth needs to be coached up and taught how to be professionals....

Predictions:
Starks will play and start for the Steelers in 07....
Marvel Smith will play LT for us for at least 2 more seasons...
Faneca will finish his career in Pittsburgh...
Colon has a bright future and will be seen playing RG and/or RT often in 07....
Simmons will be given a multitude of opportunities to play the C position...
Okobi will make people crazy if he starts at C....

DACEB
02-15-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree coachspeak, I think the Steelers will ask for a 2nd round pick for Starks which will keep him in Pitt for a better pricetag for the team.

I also agree that Simmons will be given the opportunity at C because as I stated before there are some mammoth NT's in the AFC. I think Simmons could flourish at C, as long as he gets the mental part down of the blocking schemes for the rest of the line.

I think your right on about the draft as well, if you look at the roster we have depth on the O-line. I guess it will come down to what value coach Tomlin puts on that depth.

OneForTheToe
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree coachspeak, I think the Steelers will ask for a 2nd round pick for Starks which will keep him in Pitt for a better pricetag for the team.

I also agree that Simmons will be given the opportunity at C because as I stated before there are some mammoth NT's in the AFC. I think Simmons could flourish at C, as long as he gets the mental part down of the blocking schemes for the rest of the line.

I think your right on about the draft as well, if you look at the roster we have depth on the O-line. I guess it will come down to what value coach Tomlin puts on that depth.

And make sure Simmons is supervised anytime he is within 5ft. of an icepack.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Your comments ..and the comments of coachspeak are right on the money as far as I am concerned...A move to center for Simmons...Kemo taking his slot at guard...and Colon at right tackle makes all the sense on the world to me.
I still wouldnt mind us taking an O-lineman in round two...I think there are two tackles and one guard who should be available at our 2nd round pick who can start almost immediataly. VERY GOOD O-lineman value in the 2nd!!!!..and may have us ready when Fanaca says goodbye.
It might be VERY telling that the only starting O-lineman that we have who wasnt drafted in the first 2 rounds...is Starks...who most of us can agree is the worst starter on our line.
I say pull the trigger in the 2nd and get us a young stud.

DACEB
02-15-2007, 12:48 PM
You know l-l-t we've been discussing some O-linemen in draft central and they are mostly about tackles. If you look at the roster we really need depth is at guard. Someone stated that Colon was drafted for guard so if that is the case then drafting a tackle would make sense. I tend to agree with coachspeak in that we draft an O-lineman on day2, unless like you have stated the value is there when we pick day1.

One thing I am looking forward to with the new regime is the right players being put on the field with the oppurtunity to succeed. A whole new right side would be a little scary but given time to gel who knows. I can't help but think Faneca LG, Simmons C and Kemo RG would be blowin' people up on the interior line.

jacksplat
02-15-2007, 04:26 PM
With a new head coach, and a new line coach, and a new/old face at co-ordinater, I would think the only safe job would be Faneca's. Smith is close, but it wouldn't kill me to see him go back to the right side, if one of the younger guys steps up.
But he will probably stay at left. After that, it is a dog fight, although I think Starks will be back, don't know who would want him badly enough to pay the bucks, AND give up a draft choice.
As a group, I think they are fine...........like the rest of the team, they may have lost attitude and focus.

SteelerFanInCA
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Any one have any insight on Leonard Davis of the AZ Cards? I wonder what kind of price tag he comes with. The guy is massive and can play both the guard and tackle position.

Sounds like he might be a little injury prone though.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1551

More info on Davis:

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/bio.php?PRKey=39

ChronoCross
02-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Any one have any insight on Leonard Davis of the AZ Cards? I wonder what kind of price tag he comes with. The guy is massive and can play both the guard and tackle position.

Sounds like he might be a little injury prone though.

http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1551

More info on Davis:

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/bio.php?PRKey=39

I would not take any one off that line of the cards. Ross is the only guy I like on the cards line, and he went from us to them. And if Whiz and Grimm are releasing them that means there not worth a crap to begin with, like Davis, all you hear is knee this knee that, IR here and there, not a good deal and for a big guy that is having knee injuries all the time its going to not be a long career.

Me personally would make adjustments with smith and starks, they both got blown up bad all year long.

TasmanianTroy271
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
With Leonard Davis being told he won't be resigned, I wonder how that looks for Max. I mean, If I were the Cards, and all i had to give up was a third rounder for him, and I get to bring over one of the guys my Crew has known for a while... Why not?

paxtonsteeler
02-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Starks will stay here but he may not be a starter. No one in their right mind would give a second round pick for him. I say him get beat too many times this year to be a big fan. He has all the tools, maybe Tomlin can light a fire.

DACEB
02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
From the Post Gazette;
Starks question
Team officials have not yet decided what kind of one-year salary tender to give tackle Max Starks, who will become a restricted free agent next Friday, their only free agent among their 22 starters.

They will pick from one of two -- a $1.3 million tender or a $1.8 million tender. Either would maintain their right to match any other contract Starks would receive in free agency, but if they decided not to match, the different tenders would provide different compensation to the Steelers. If they tender him a $1.3 million salary, they would receive a second-round draft pick if he signs elsewhere and they don't match; a $1.8 million tender would bring them a first-round draft pick from the team that signs him.

Very interesting, the oppurtunity for a 1st round pick or at least a 2nd if another team wants him!