polamalufan43
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Don't know if this was posted yet.

http://news.steelers.com/article/74038/

Haynes honored by Pittsburgh City Council
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Running back Verron Haynes was honored in Pittsburgh City Council Chambers on Tuesday when it was proclaimed Verron Haynes Day in the City of Pittsburgh for his involvement in the community.

"It is definitely an honor," said Haynes of the proclamation. "It's one of the things that I appreciate. I look back at six years ago when I came here and I wanted to make an impact. I just had a drive and a passion. Seeing that it is being paid forward means a lot. I'm just happy to be a part of it."

Haynes, who was presented with the proclamation by councilwoman Twanda Carlise, is the Steelers spokesperson for the Boys & Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania. Haynes grew up in the Bronx, New York, where he participated in the activities offered by the Boys & Girls Club, and wanted to give back to an organization that did so much for him.

In addition, through the Verron Haynes Foundation, he does fund-raising for breast cancer, a disease that took the life of his cousin Kadine DeCosta.

"It's very important to be involved," said Haynes. "Giving back to the community is special. The Boys and Girls Club is how I saw fit to stay off the streets. There were people there that genuinely cared about you. It's a place where I felt safe doing home work.

"I wanted to give back and let them know that somebody does care. It really clicks when they see you there. You can see the twinkle in their eye."

After receiving his honor, Haynes had the opportunity to meet and visit with Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl in his office, where Ravenstahl congratulated him and thanked him for his involvement in the community.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
it may not keep him on the roster, but he is easilly one of the most likeable steelers. a great role player who accepts his duties w/o no questions asked. he is all about the team in the truest sense of the word.

MJ5150
02-14-2007, 09:21 PM
I read this story today, good stuff.

I have always liked Haynes. I hope the Steelers keep him around.

-Mike

FLSteeler
02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
I give all respect to Verron Haynes and Charlie Batch for anything you give to the comm
unity. Charlie has been doing it for years and does not get enough recognition. These
Guys I give thanks to." Steelers Love Pittsburgh People" VERRON HAYNES will be back
he is a warrior. No matter what he does in football he will be resiliant.

"GO STEELERS':sign04: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

coachspeak33
02-15-2007, 07:50 AM
I hope they get rid of either Haynes or Davenport....cause that would mean that they have added a RB to compliment FWP or mini-LT as i like to call him.

I would really like them to send Davenport packing and keep Verron cause he is willing to play ST's....and he is an excellent blitz-picker-upper (I sounded like Madden's dumn arse for a sec there)

polamalufan43
02-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I hope they get rid of either Haynes or Davenport....cause that would mean that they have added a RB to compliment FWP or mini-LT as i like to call him.

I would really like them to send Davenport packing and keep Verron cause he is willing to play ST's....and he is an excellent blitz-picker-upper (I sounded like Madden's dumn arse for a sec there)

Honestly, I like both of them, if if I had to pick one to stay, it would be Haynes.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
02-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Congrats Verron.