PDA

View Full Version : Mike Williams

rags1336
02-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Rumor has it that the Lions might be ready to part ways with their former #1 pick. I think if the risk isn't to high the Steelers should look at bringing him in. By risk I mean that considering he is a former 1st round pick and this would only be his third season would it cost too much to bring him in and to have him fail? This guy could be the big reciever we have been looking for, he is 6'4 and was a stud at USC, he is looking like a bust as of right now but he was playing for the Lions and might have got lost in the shuffle of all those #1 WR picks. This might satisfy both crowds that say that we need to draft a tall WR and those that would like to have a big WR but don't want to waste a pick being that we have other holes that need filled. Lets look at three different scenarios at bringing him in if the cost is right.
Worst case he comes in camp to compete with Wilson, he proves that he is a bust and is cut before week 1.
A good scenario would be that he comes in and does a good job as a role player as the 3rd or 4th WR in Ariens' new system.
Best case scenario is that he proves all his skeptics wrong and proves to everyone that he was worth a number one pick and goes on to have a great long career next to Holmes once Ward retires making the Steelers look like geniouses for giving him a second chance.
I don't know how expensive he would be, he might be able to be signed at the veteran minimum, but that would only be a 1 year contract and if scenario #3 comes true the Steelers would lose him in FA the very next year. I think if we could get him to sign a cost effective 2-3 year deal we would either have a good 3rd or 4th WR for a few years or giving us the option to extend him for the big money if #3 comes true. Any thoughts on this?

aussiesteelers
02-15-2007, 04:54 AM
if the price is right, then maybe it's worth a shot. it has been annoying not having a big WR for big ben to target in the red zone.

coachspeak33
02-15-2007, 07:28 AM
love the idea....but the steelers front office has shown over the years that they just dont take gambles like this....they are one of the most conservative teams in the league....they would rather take a shot with a nate washington or lee mays than take a flyer on a guy like Williams....

Me personally...I wouldnt mind seeing it....but then again I feel that our WR core is pretty thin and I would be open to just about any attempt at an upgrade of talent....

Let me be more specific: an upgrade of talent that doesnt involve some unknown undrafted free agent out of NFL Europe....

Unfortunately that is probably more likely to happen than anything else

Hines86Ward
02-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I would like to see what Williams could bring to the table. I thought he's been mistreated in Detroit. They're about him getting his weight down, but he played at the same weight all through college & it didn't effect his play. He's a good WR, and if we could get him for the right price then we should give him a chance....

SteelerFanInCA
02-15-2007, 10:08 AM
The guy was a stud in college. I think going to the Lions did not help his cause. Maybe a new system would suit him better.

I like the idea of him lining up next to Santonio but I wonder if the FO even has him on their radar?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I would like to see what Williams could bring to the table. I thought he's been mistreated in Detroit. They're about him getting his weight down, but he played at the same weight all through college & it didn't effect his play. He's a good WR, and if we could get him for the right price then we should give him a chance....

I seem to remember the new Head Coach at Detroit having some problems "motivating" Mike Williams...and there were rumours of Mike being lazy and enjoying the paychecks more than enjoying the game.

IF those rumours have any basis in fact...I hope Tomlin treats him like he has the plague.

coachspeak33
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
The steelers ran off Plex for his motivation and team concept issues.... and he was a perenial 1,000 yd guy who also served as an unbelievable red zone threat... I highly doubt the steelers would acquire williams who suffers from similar "mental" ailments

wise1s
02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
I think Williams would be a good pick-up, bring him in and if he'd sign a performance based contract that would give him incentive to work harder. Having a big threat will only free up Ward and Holmes.

Dynasty
02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
seriously if e pay him vet minimum and have a ton of incentives, then sign him to a 3 year deal, then we will either have a small cap hit when we cut the guy, or a #1 reciever for cheap

verks36
02-26-2007, 09:28 PM
we do not need him. The steelers already have their future WRs set for the next 10 years and there names are Nate Washington and Santiono Holmes

Elvis
02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
I seem to remember the new Head Coach at Detroit having some problems "motivating" Mike Williams...and there were rumours of Mike being lazy and enjoying the paychecks more than enjoying the game.

IF those rumours have any basis in fact...I hope Tomlin treats him like he has the plague.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Couldnt agree more...
He was so talented coming out of college
but if he couldnt atleast post a better resume from
his former coaches then he probably will never succeed
in this league..
:coffee:

FOOTEupyourarse
02-27-2007, 05:22 PM
im a huge fan of nate washington. i know he had some bad drops but so did santonio and ward. i also think we already have our big red zone target on our team....HEATH MILLER! if we use him correctly he could put up Antonio Gates numbers!

verks36
02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
im a huge fan of nate washington. i know he had some bad drops but so did santonio and ward. i also think we already have our big red zone target on our team....HEATH MILLER! if we use him correctly he could put up Antonio Gates numbers!

I have the same feeling about everything you just said

Showdaddeee
03-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Maybe a change of senery would be good for Mike. If we can get him for a low price I say take him and hope for the best.