PDA

View Full Version : Smartest thing I have heard out of the Front office so far!!!

coachspeak33
02-15-2007, 09:38 AM
t's time to decide who stays, who goes

Thursday, February 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers start their final evaluations of free agents today as the new coaches join the scouting staff to make up a wish list of players they might add to their team and those they do not want -- perhaps including some of their own.

The Steelers have no unrestricted free agents who started for them last season, and only one who is restricted -- offensive right tackle Max Starks. It's likely some players under contract won't be asked back, particularly if the Steelers believe they can release a player to make room under their salary cap to sign another.

"We were an 8-8 team," Kevin Colbert, their football operations director, said yesterday. "For us to think we can stand pat and be any better than that, I think would be naive on our part."

Thank you Mr. Colbert....I am glad someone said it....if we begin the season with the same 22 starters and the same players at vital backup spots (#2RB, #3&4 WR, #3ILB) then we are gonna be in trouble when it comes to making the playoffs and experiencing success in them.

So to all of you loyal (to a fault at times) Steeler fans...we dont have the greatest players on earth and we have to make changes at a few spots....I think this will be a very interesting off season...hopefully the front office is aggressive in their thinking this summer...and judging by Colberts words it appears they will be

stlrtruck
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
At least we know the FO isn't complacent! Now time for the leaders to be the same way!

Stillers43
02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Agreed! We have a lot of talent, but there is room for improvement! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO! Super Bowl Bound in 07-08!

JDB in N.C.
02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
That's 100% correct.

8-8 team equals pretty big changes.

But the good thing is they are already off to a good start with the coaching change ups.

rags1336
02-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Right after the season Mr. Rooney eluded to big changes on the way, and now Colbert is confirming that. It is going to be nice to see some competition on this team. I think we are in for a real treat come preseason getting to watch guys fight for their jobs instead of being handed the job based on their friendliness with the coach. If the Steelers do not bring in any top teir free agents who would come in as a starter, I see them bringing in several guys that would battle for a starting job with the current guys.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
I totally agree with what Colbert said.

I think these are some changes that need made:

Offense

Make Santonio Holmes the #2 WR,and make Washington the #3 reciever.Wilson,Morey,and Mays just aren't that good.

Let Kemoeatu and Essex start.Our o-line sucked last year,and these players are ready to start IMHO,especially Kemoeatu.They are young and have the energy that Simmons and Smith just don't bring.

Make the RT spot an open competition in TC.The better player,Starks or Colon get the job and the loser is the backup.

I don't know what to do about the C problem.Hartings is gone,but he didn't play very well last year.I don't think Chukky is the answer,and I don't know if Phillip is starter-caliber.

Parker is the starter,but I would like to see us either resighn Davenport or draft Bush in the second round.

DEFNESE

Draft a player that can play OLB in the 3-4 in round one.He'll replace Porter next year,and be able to learn the system by sitting the bench this year.

Replace Haggans as a starter with Harrison.Harrison is a big play-maker and Haggans isn't anymore.

Replace Townsend as a starter with McFadden.He's got more speed and I feel is a better player than Townsend is.But keep Townsend,he's a good backup and can provide leadership as a veteran.

Make Anthony Smith the starter at FS.

Edman
02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
I like what I'm hearing.

An 8-8 season consisting of two shutout losses, a loss to perhaps the worst team in the league, and being outscored by your biggest division rival 58-7? Yes, there is definite room for improvement for the whole team. Offense, Defense, Special Teams, even the whole coaching staff.

The Cowher Era is over, and it's time to start looking toward the future. Colbert has the right idea. Big changes are abound for our Steelers.

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Let's see how big the changes will be.

In terms of dealing with the salary cap and free agents after 2007, Porter is definitely gone and Faneca probably is (which may explain Faneca's candid reaction to the new HC hiring). Big ? for me is whether Troy will be signed up beyond 2007. Hope to see some major movement on that ASAP.

alittlejazzbird
02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Right after the season Mr. Rooney eluded to big changes on the way, and now Colbert is confirming that. It is going to be nice to see some competition on this team. I think we are in for a real treat come preseason getting to watch guys fight for their jobs instead of being handed the job based on their friendliness with the coach. If the Steelers do not bring in any top teir free agents who would come in as a starter, I see them bringing in several guys that would battle for a starting job with the current guys.

I'm not convinced that players were handed their jobs because they were friendly with Cowher, rags. This team as constructed, and minus only three starters (three key starters, as it turned out in hindsight, in Bettis, Randle El and Hope) was only six months removed from a Super Bowl championship; Ben's accident notwithstanding, was there any reason to think that an 8-8 season, or for that matter a 2-6 first half of the season, was realistically in the cards when training camp opened?

Sure, I think there was somewhat of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about the beginning of last season (it is Pittsburgh, after all, which is Mecca for "that's the way we've always done it - why change now?"), but I think Cowher and Colbert and the Rooneys truly believed the talent was sufficient to make another Super Bowl run. Turns out they were wrong, though in my opinion it wasn't strictly for lack of talent. I think there is still enough talent on the team, but too many players who were peaking just as the Steelers made their Super Bowl run of 8 straight games "aged" at the same time between this past season and the Super Bowl season. Their play collectively dropped off just enough to make the difference between a great team and a mediocre team.

Lots of roster spots look to be up for grabs this season. With a new coach coming in who says that the slates of all players are wiped clean and what they've done in the past doesn't concern him, competition figures to be wide open. Should make for a great training camp!

The Steelers only take free agents if the price is right, so I don't look for any major acquisitions on that front.

memphissteelergirl
02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
If you ask me, the coaching was half the problem last year. Lazy-ass Cowher didn't get them ready for the season.

Ok, I will confess that last season was not one of the most stellar under Cowher's tenure, but the "lazy ass" comment was totally unncessary and plain rude. Check yourself, man.

geo1963
02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry, but I do feel alot of the core veterans on this team became very complacent last year under cowher. If you look at the entire season there were so many fundamental mistakes made in turnovers, personal foul penalties and just overall bad decisions being made by guys that have been in this league for years, and that know what it takes to be a campionship team. It was definitely time for a change, and so far everything i'm seeing is a step in the right direction. In no way am I bashing Cowher, I love the guy, but I think he gave these guys too much credit for being able to handle their business. No, we do not need to make huge changes, there is a helluva lot of talent on this team, but it's nice to see what seems to be a bit of a message being sent out by Steeler management that production is what counts, not reputation

SteelCityMan786
02-15-2007, 06:21 PM
t's time to decide who stays, who goes

Thursday, February 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers start their final evaluations of free agents today as the new coaches join the scouting staff to make up a wish list of players they might add to their team and those they do not want -- perhaps including some of their own.

The Steelers have no unrestricted free agents who started for them last season, and only one who is restricted -- offensive right tackle Max Starks. It's likely some players under contract won't be asked back, particularly if the Steelers believe they can release a player to make room under their salary cap to sign another.

"We were an 8-8 team," Kevin Colbert, their football operations director, said yesterday. "For us to think we can stand pat and be any better than that, I think would be naive on our part."

Thank you Mr. Colbert....I am glad someone said it....if we begin the season with the same 22 starters and the same players at vital backup spots (#2RB, #3&4 WR, #3ILB) then we are gonna be in trouble when it comes to making the playoffs and experiencing success in them.

So to all of you loyal (to a fault at times) Steeler fans...we dont have the greatest players on earth and we have to make changes at a few spots....I think this will be a very interesting off season...hopefully the front office is aggressive in their thinking this summer...and judging by Colberts words it appears they will be

Colbert is right. We can't just stand at 8-8. We must step forward. We have the talent to go all the way to Glendale. And I think we'll go there and WIN IT.

Dylan
02-15-2007, 10:36 PM
we do need to make some changes but not many major ones

43FlyingHair
02-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Parker is the starter,but I would like to see us either resighn Davenport

I think the RB corps is pretty solid with Parker, Davenport and Kuhn. There's a good mixture of speed, finesse and power there. It's not the pounding running game we all loved from the Bus, but there's only one Bus and you can't expect every running back to be the same as him.

WWIIOwheelz
02-15-2007, 11:21 PM
The talent is there in abundance. The problem last year was lack of discipline (needless turnovers) and the on/off switch that was Ben last year. You never knew which Ben would show up, but he got better & better as the year went on.

I'm hoping for a much better year next season.

paw-n-maul-u
02-16-2007, 09:08 AM
I think the RB corps is pretty solid with Parker, Davenport and Kuhn. There's a good mixture of speed, finesse and power there. It's not the pounding running game we all loved from the Bus, but there's only one Bus and you can't expect every running back to be the same as him.

Kuhn????!?!?! the guy got what ... 2 carries last year??? parker is the only legit RB on the roster right now. The steelers need to draft a back with a little more size on day 1 ... ala tony hunt or brian leonard or possibly michael bush if he falls far enough. I don't think we'll make a move in FA for a RB, but tomlin seemed to make it pretty clear that steelers need another answer at running back. No knock on willie, obviously because he is a probowler, but insurance and change of pace/complementary running style.

polamalufan43
02-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Well, I guess they will have to re-evaluate everyone and take in what that person means to the team, if they are young enough to be here for a long time, if they weren't playing their best and why( for example, injuries might be an acceptable reason), and CAP issues.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

dunkuntou
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Some of you are going a little overboard here. While 8-8 doesn't mean stand pat, it also doesn't mean total overhaul.

Trai Essex has been solid but he is a career backup and Chris Kemoeatu did not play very well. He still needs at least another year before he can be given a chance to start

Cedrick Wilson needs to go...he makes too much and he is our 4th best receiver.

DO NOT DRAFT A LB IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!

First, there are no LB worthy of a first round selection at 16. You can find linebackers throughout the draft and get better value in the middle rounds

We need to make some changes but not drastic ones. How quickly you forget this team won the Super Bowl with essentially the same team.

Chris Hope was nothing special
Randle El is a solid player but Santonio Holmes had more receiving yards as a rookie than Randle El has in any of his seasons

Limit the turnovers and this team is fine

HometownGal
02-16-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm glad to see that someone in the F.O. gets it. We have to make some changes in a couple of key positions and there is no disputing that. We aren't the Bungles or the Browns - we are the Pittsburgh Steelers and an 8-8 season just doesn't cut it. There is no reason whatsoever that this team can't get it together, turn it around and make a legitimate run at SBXLII. :tt02:

Elvis
02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Just glad to see that someone kind of knows what to
look for and keep their priorities straight.
:helmet: