PDA

View Full Version : Duce Staley- $2.34 mil against the cap

tony hipchest
02-15-2007, 09:23 AM
for any wannabe capologists this is a must read exerpt from p. kirwan's latest article. staley will be the 16th highest cap charge against the steelers this season. :dang:

http://nfl.com/news/story/9994336

For the past 10 years, I have studied salaries for teams as we prepared for the new salary-cap season. It was typical that almost every team had a player in the top 24 salaries taking up critical cap space and that player was released the year before. Teams pushed off the cap charges until the future and the future had arrived.h It was a common occurrence around the league to identify upward of 60-70 players that had been released but were still on the books.

But today, as we prepare for the start of the business season, there are only 11 player contracts league-wide that are of any real significance eating up much-needed cap space. Some of them you'll remember and others seem like it was a long time ago when they suited up for the team that is still paying off charges for their services. My owner and team president used to call these guys 'the sins of the past.'

Team Player Cap rank Cap Charge
1. Baltimore Orlando Brown 14th $2.1 million
2. Dallas Mike Vanderjagt 18th $1.6 million
3. Detroit Charles Rogers 10th $3.2 million
4. Houston Gary Walker 2nd $5.5 million
5. Kansas City Jerome Woods 13th $2.65 million
6. Kansas City Willie Roaf 14th $2.54 million
7. New Orleans Jermaine Mayberry 9th $2.7 million
8. New Orleans Jonathan Sullivan 11th $2.58 million
9. Philadelphia Todd Pinkston 22nd $960,000
10. Pittsburgh Duce Staley 16th $2.34 million
11. San Francisco Mike Rumph 22nd $973,000

Some retired late last spring, some were cut during the season, like Duce Staley and Mike Vanderjagt. But the truth is they are long gone and their old teams are still paying the bills. Not many fans can even remember Jonathan Sullivan in a Saints uniform, or Charles Rogers ever doing much in his Lions uniform. But they are prominent in the 2007 cap book.

dominos anyone?
http://www.enflyer.com/app/file_root/1769/Images/deuce.jpg

he can now add worlds highest paid bones player to his resume along with worlds most expensive sweat suit model

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
As long as he gave us back the sweatsuit, no worries here.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-15-2007, 09:31 AM
for any wannabe capologists this is a must read exerpt from p. kirwan's latest article. staley will be the 16th highest cap charge against the steelers this season. :dang:

..sadly...he actually may be a better value sitting at home than Deshea is on the field...

Steeldude
02-15-2007, 09:54 AM
cutting porter before june 1st saves the steelers a little over $5 million in cap room.

83-Steelers-43
02-15-2007, 09:56 AM
cutting porter before june 1st saves the steelers a little over $5 million in cap room.

While I agree Porter is on the downslide, can we afford to cut him? It's not as if we have deep quality depth. IMO, Porter will play out this season and he's gone. Until then though, I don't think we can afford to cut him.

stlrtruck
02-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I agree, I think our LB core is the weakest (as far as depth on the team) spot.

Let Porter play out his last year, it's a contract year so he should be up in stats...then let some other team pay him the over priced salary he's mentioned this past season!

wise1s
02-15-2007, 12:53 PM
There is nobody that can step in and give the same intensity that Porter does. He has all the incentive to perform at a high level this year so he can make big money the next.

Buzz05
02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
No wonder no one has heard of him signing with another team or anything! If I was making 2.34 Million to sit at him and watch Sponge Bob you bet I would be there

RoethlisBURGHer
02-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Porter will have a monster season this year so he can get paid (even more) by someone next year.So lets keep him so he can kick some ass then we won't have to be stuck paying him not to play for us.

Preacher
02-15-2007, 01:49 PM
So once again, I come back to the issue of the draft.. wanting a LB or CB.. and then getting the other in FA..

ORRRRRRRRRR.............

Think about this. Porter is still a big force. Do any of you think another team would pick him up for a first round pick? Trade him this year, get the pick. We only pay his signing bonus, the other team has to pick up his actual salary.

It might be worth a stab in the dark... wait a second... No, that was Ray Ray from teh ravens!!

Atlanta Dan
02-15-2007, 02:39 PM
With no depth and Harrison not being a proven starter (since Cowher passed on the opportunity to start or even give many snaps to Harrison last season after he came back from the high ankle sprain) it will be tough to let Porter go if this team wants to contend rather than start retooling immediately. I suppose the plan is to hope Porter has a big year as he plays for new contract with another team.

I see no way Porter is with the Steelers after 2007.

As for Staley, what a waste of money; the cap hit on his original signing bonus is just a reflection of a terrible FA signing (which looked great until he broke down, once again, midway through the 2004 season in the first year of the contract) but not cutting Staley before the Steelers had to pay his 2006 salary was the most inexcusable example of Cowher being loyal to underperforming veteran players.

sheba
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
duce suks who would pay him

Black@Gold Forever32
02-15-2007, 05:25 PM
So once again, I come back to the issue of the draft.. wanting a LB or CB.. and then getting the other in FA..

ORRRRRRRRRR.............

Think about this. Porter is still a big force. Do any of you think another team would pick him up for a first round pick? Trade him this year, get the pick. We only pay his signing bonus, the other team has to pick up his actual salary.

It might be worth a stab in the dark... wait a second... No, that was Ray Ray from teh ravens!!

Sorry Preacher but I don't think no team in their right mind would trade a first round pick for Joey Porter. I would say at the best the Steelers would get a 4th or a 5th round pick for Joey Porter.

tony hipchest
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Sorry Preacher but I don't think no team in their right mind would trade a first round pick for Joey Porter. I would say at the best the Steelers would get a 4th or a 5th round pick for Joey Porter.seattle traded a 1st round pick for d. branch. theres no telling what stupid move a team might do. arizonas high 2nd might be worth consideration (especially if it landed a quality replacement of the same calibur as lofa tatupu or dameco ryans)

Black@Gold Forever32
02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
seattle traded a 1st round pick for d. branch. theres no telling what stupid move a team might do. arizonas high 2nd might be worth consideration (especially if it landed a quality replacement of the same calibur as lofa tatupu or dameco ryans)

I agree a team could be stupid enough. Just saying at Porter's age and the fact his play wasn't as strong as it was in 05 that teams might just offer a 4th round pick at best.

As for the Seahawks trading a first round pick for Branch. Hey teams always over-rate the skill position players. I thought the Seahawks were crazy giving up a first round pick for Branch and still do since Branch didn't do to much this past season.

Hey if the Steelers get a 2nd round pick for Joey Porter then more power to them. I just don't look for it to happen.

Stainless Steel
02-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Porter still is a good player. Staley is deadwood. We had no LB in the pro bowl. We need to cut Porter AND Staley to get a good impact LB in the FA or draft.

I have put it this way. Denver has a system where it matters little who is the RB. They have a blocking scheme that makes big producers out of average RB's. Look at the so-so production out of most RB's that have left Denver. The only RB I can think that has produced well is Portis... and he is with a team whose head coach too believes in having a good running scheme.

We have a system that allows average LB's to be big producers due to the scheme we use and the surrounding team we have. Save the big bucks, get rid of Porter and plug in another good LB that we can get cheaper.

Preacher
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
seattle traded a 1st round pick for d. branch. theres no telling what stupid move a team might do. arizonas high 2nd might be worth consideration (especially if it landed a quality replacement of the same calibur as lofa tatupu or dameco ryans)

that is what I am thinking. And yeah, probably a 2nd round pick. Heck, I would be willing to give him AND a second round pick up for a first round pick.

Raiders would be dumb enough to do that!!

Dylan
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I remeber when we first signed staley. i was so excited because i thought he was going to be a great running back. wow was i wrong, that was a bust to spend money on him.

i wish him well for the future though.

Stainless Steel
02-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I remeber when we first signed staley. i was so excited because i thought he was going to be a great running back. wow was i wrong, that was a bust to spend money on him.

i wish him well for the future though.
Ditto here. I was excited, then I was wondering how long we were going to hang on to that Bling-Bling losing waste of salary cap.

Steel Pit
02-15-2007, 09:18 PM
There is nobody that can step in and give the same intensity that Porter does. He has all the incentive to perform at a high level this year so he can make big money the next.

Bull****! I get so tired of hearing about the intensity and locker room presence that certain players bring to the table. Porter is OLD dude. He's not playing anywhere near the level that he played in his prime. And by the way, he wasn't all that great in his prime. It's time to part ways with him. James Harrison is and HAS BEEN ready to step in take over for Porter and/or Haggans.

You want to talk intensity? Greg Lloyd was intense, Jack Lambert was intense! Porter? I don't think so.

tony hipchest
02-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Bull****! I get so tired of hearing about the intensity and locker room presence that certain players bring to the table. Porter is OLD dude. He's not playing anywhere near the level that he played in his prime. And by the way, he wasn't all that great in his prime. It's time to part ways with him. James Harrison is and HAS BEEN ready to step in take over for Porter and/or Haggans.

You want to talk intensity? Greg Lloyd was intense, Jack Lambert was intense! Porter? I don't think so.YEAH! porters right there with alonzo jackson!!!

:rolleyes:

psssssst.....porter is 29 years old. just last year porter was playing everywhere near his prime. as intense as greg lloyd was, he was trashed when the scheme asked him to single up against larry allen in the super bowl and he was shut down.

is it only steelerfans who think 30 year old stallwarts at their position are washed up?

Steeldude
02-16-2007, 07:27 AM
no team would trade for porter and his current salary. you might get a 6th or 7th rounder, but nothing more. his age and inconsistency are not even worth 2 million a year.

porter should have played hard last year. he did want to holdout, but he turned in another bland year of very few plays.

IMO, james harrison seems to be the most energetic LB when he comes onto the field. porter is a mouth during the pre-game and then disappears when the game starts.

i hope no one thinks i am just picking on porter. the other starting LBs haven't been lighting up. to me it's just and average group of LBs. nothing really bad, but nothing really good either.

Elvis
02-16-2007, 03:53 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
The Steelers Make Mistake
Every team does this... he started off like bangbusters and then he got a hammy injury and he has never been the same.
I think that Cowher and co. just felt sorry
for the man and kept him around.
R.I.P.
DUCE!!!!!
:helmet:

yinzer-inseattle
02-16-2007, 06:16 PM
I find it hard to believe that the Rooneys would keep a guy around for sentimental reasons. These are the same owners that sent Franco, Webster and Woodson packing. More likely that they we're holding out to see if they could materialize some benefit from the money they sunk in the Duce pit.

ironmikefan
02-17-2007, 06:05 AM
dump porter and go after paul pus from penn state.

ironmikefan
02-17-2007, 06:08 AM
as far as staley im glad hes gone,now he can sell cars at JD byrider

daleemnm
02-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Poslunsky(sp?) + Harrison = One hell of a OLB core.

DACEB
02-17-2007, 12:43 PM
dump porter and go after paul pus from penn state.

Pusluszny is no Porter, the stats will show that next year. Now to bring him in for depth and the future o.k., besides Pusluszny will probably move to ILB in the pros.

As for the hit on the cap for Duce, DAMN. What started out as such a promising signing, now DAMN.

Stu Pidasso
02-17-2007, 08:16 PM
What about James Harrison? That guy needs a spot.

SteelShooter
02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
.........................I still like Porter. Let's see what he brings this season and then decide from there.

Look at it this way; Ben did not produce much this year, neither did Ward, or Heath, or many others. Are we ready to abandon them all just because of one bad season? Sure he's aging, but he gets the defense fired up. He intimidates the opposing QB's. He DOES bring something of value to the table.

Let's see what he actually brings this season.......if it is nothing, bench him as a backup, give others a shot, and simply let him go when his contract expires at the end of this season.

Steeldude
02-18-2007, 01:45 AM
i would rather dump porter before june 1st and have the $5 mil in extra cap room as a result.

any LB can come in and yell like a fool during pre-game and then disappear when the game starts.

tony hipchest
02-18-2007, 01:51 AM
any LB can come in and yell like a fool during pre-game and then disappear when the game starts.you mean like alonzo jackson? that would be great! we shoulda thought of that sooner.

with that extra $5 mil maybe we can sign a big back like d. staley to compliment parker.

SteelShooter
02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
with that extra $5 mil maybe we can sign a big back like d. staley to compliment parker.

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :thumbsup: LMAO!!! :thumbsup: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Steel Pit
02-18-2007, 10:58 PM
YEAH! porters right there with alonzo jackson!!!

psssssst.....porter is 29 years old. just last year porter was playing everywhere near his prime. as intense as greg lloyd was, he was trashed when the scheme asked him to single up against larry allen in the super bowl and he was shut down.

is it only steelerfans who think 30 year old stallwarts at their position are washed up?

What's with your Alonzo Jackson infatuation? I didn't draft that marshmallow nor have I ever supported the BUM.

PSSSSSSSSSSST........ Joey Porter has NEVER played as well or as intense as Greg Lloyd.

PSSSSSSSSSSST......... Joey Porter will be 30 years old when he takes the field again.

PSSSSSSSSSSST.........Yes Sir, I don't believe that the Steelers need to be throwing millions of dollars at a 30 year old Linebacker. Especially one who's bark is a lot worse than his bite.

PSSSSSSSSSSSST.......Dang, we Steelers fans are so gullible. How do we let someone lead us to believe that a 30 year old is washed up. Shoot, I mean Heck, Look how long Jack Lambert played before an injury forced him into retirement. Jack Lambert was 31 years old when he played in his "LAST FULL SEASON" and we all know that 31 is far beyond 30. Yes I know, he played a portion of the next season, 8 games to be exact, but the point is that a 30 year old LINEBACKER is not who the Steelers should be giving a brand new multi-million dollar contract to.

In closing I'll say that there's most-likely free agents and/or draft choices available to the Steelers who are much better than the Alonzo Jackson's of the NFL world. You act as if there's absoluely nobody out there. As it looks the Alonzo Jackson thing is pretty amusing to you. Keep this in mind, The Steelers are responsible for giving Alonzo Jackson birth into the NFL so take your shots at the front office not the fans.

On second thought I'll just give in to you Tony. I hope that the Steelers sign Joey Porter to a 3 year contract worth about 7.5 million a year. Heck, Tony says that the Steelers need to keep Porter so all of us nay sayers must be wrong on the topic. Right?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-18-2007, 11:18 PM

If porter does not have a contract before the beginning of offseason workouts he will be a hold out

Steeldude
02-19-2007, 10:10 AM
you mean like alonzo jackson? that would be great! we shoulda thought of that sooner.

get a LB in there who does more than babble incoherently during pre-game.

porter had 4 games this past season with either 1 assist or just one tackle. inexperienced arnold harrison came in and made porter look like a mannequin.

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
On second thought I'll just give in to you Tony. I hope that the Steelers sign Joey Porter to a 3 year contract worth about 7.5 million a year. Heck, Tony says that the Steelers need to keep Porter so all of us nay sayers must be wrong on the topic. Right?

wrong. you and steeldudes premise is that porter should be shown the door immediately to regain his $5 mil. and cap relief. how much accelerated bonus it tied up in that salary.

another reason you think this should be done is because he is "old" at 30 years, and inconsistant. hes got 9 years in the league. hes a veteran, but not old. all the patriots lb's (except t. b cain) are as old or older than him.

as far as the inconsistancy, half the steelers coaching staff was shown the door to remedy this problem. do we get rid of the players too and just start from scratch? theres plenty of players that need to go then. i dont see anyone suggestin faneca, ward, or polamalu be cut for their inconsistant play and to save money. by your standards faneca and ward are "old" right?

so anyways, who do you think we can get to replace porter in the 3-4 fire zone blitz scheme, plus learn nuances of a hybrid tampa 2, and not be a liability?

ive already tossed a name out there who i think can do it. i never suggested to give porter an extension, i just think it makes no sense to cut him at this point. would you think porter were great if he took the t. bruschi or m. vrabel discount of under $2 mil? he was just as productive as they were last season. no patriot fans are looking to dump them.

Steel Pit
02-19-2007, 10:33 PM
wrong. you and steeldudes premise is that porter should be shown the door immediately to regain his $5 mil. and cap relief. how much accelerated bonus it tied up in that salary.

another reason you think this should be done is because he is "old" at 30 years, and inconsistant. hes got 9 years in the league. hes a veteran, but not old. all the patriots lb's (except t. b cain) are as old or older than him.

as far as the inconsistancy, half the steelers coaching staff was shown the door to remedy this problem. do we get rid of the players too and just start from scratch? theres plenty of players that need to go then. i dont see anyone suggestin faneca, ward, or polamalu be cut for their inconsistant play and to save money. by your standards faneca and ward are "old" right?

so anyways, who do you think we can get to replace porter in the 3-4 fire zone blitz scheme, plus learn nuances of a hybrid tampa 2, and not be a liability?

ive already tossed a name out there who i think can do it. i never suggested to give porter an extension, i just think it makes no sense to cut him at this point. would you think porter were great if he took the t. bruschi or m. vrabel discount of under $2 mil? he was just as productive as they were last season. no patriot fans are looking to dump them.

Tony, I have NOT suggested that the Steelers cut Porter in order to free up some cap money. The cap has nothing to do with my beliefs.

As a few others have already posted, I believe that Porter is merely a loud mouth. His production on the field has diminished greatly. Over the past 2 seasons I can think of only 2 or 3 games where I actually felt that Porter's presence was noticed by the opposing team.

Porter and his agent are going to demand big dollars. I don't think that he's worth moderate money let alone big money. I'm just another voice, my voice says let Porter go.

SteelShooter
02-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Unfortunate for him, Joey and his agent lost a lot of bargaining ground with the diminished performance this past season. I still say we keep him, he will be playing his heart out (equals better stats) to up his worth for either 1) a new contract with the Steelers, or 2) a hefty F/A contract with another team the following season.

Let him up his numbers for us (as opposed to another team reaping the benefits). Then, either let him test F/A next season, or keep him on the roster at a reasonable fiduciary/monetary level.