PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Anthony Gonzalez

geo1963
02-15-2007, 06:13 PM
I would love the Steelers to try and sneak away with Anthony Gonzalez in the second round of the draft. This guy has great speed, great hands, great attitude, great football sense, and is an excellent blocker..sounds like the reincarnation of Heinz Ward. Would be great to be groomed under Heinz for a few years and then try to fill the void when Heinz goes

tony hipchest
02-15-2007, 06:41 PM
a 2nd round pick on someone who will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart?

i would rather

A) spend some $$$ on keyshawn johnson to be a bona fide #3 or
B) take a flyer on a late round player like m. coulston or h. baskett from last years draft

geo1963
02-15-2007, 06:55 PM
This guy could be the steal of the draft....second or third receiver, paired with heinz and santonio, nice three of a kind. no way on keyshawn going in the wrong direction there

tony hipchest
02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
ok. on to plan B) a 7th round pick for m. coulston was the steal of the draft last year. spending a 2nd round pick on a possible steal (especially at wr) doesnt sit too well with me.

on the running back side of things, lendale white was supposed to be the steal of the draft last year.

you never plan for, or draft high, to get a steal. you want the surest thing possible. if the steelers think that gonzales is the best player on the board with the 47th pick or so, then by all means, draft him. i doubt that will be the case though.

geo1963
02-15-2007, 07:09 PM
who do you feel would be ??

Black@Gold Forever32
02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I like Anthony Gonzalez alot and I think he will be a solid NFL player. But like Hipchest said you don't spend a 2nd rounder on player that is going to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart not unless he is the best available player in the 2nd round when the Steelers draft.

But what if the Steelers view Gonzalez as a future replacement for Hines Ward? Lets face it Ward is starting to get up there. But I still would wait further in the draft to draft a WR. With Ariens talk of using more 4 WR sets the need will be there to draft another WR at some point. Unless the Steelers are just content with Ward, Holmes, Washington and Wilson. Then there is Willie Reid and the usual suspects that get cut in training camp like Walter Young.

SteelCzar76
02-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I would love the Steelers to try and sneak away with Anthony Gonzalez in the second round of the draft. This guy has great speed, great hands, great attitude, great football sense, and is an excellent blocker..sounds like the reincarnation of Heinz Ward. Would be great to be groomed under Heinz for a few years and then try to fill the void when Heinz goes

Gonzalez at his current level of abilty is a considerable upgrade over Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington and very possibly Reid. But with that said,.... i think we have more pressing needs to address in the 1st and 2nd round. And there's no way he'd be on the board in the 3rd IMO.
Calvin Johnson is the only WR that i think would be worth us making moves to aquire in the first. This kid just ran a 4.3 in his pre combine workouts ! (WTF) With his size, hands, agility and work ethic. He is easily THE best offensive player in this Draft.

A.M.
02-15-2007, 07:31 PM
This guy could be the steal of the draft....second or third receiver, paired with heinz and santonio, nice three of a kind. no way on keyshawn going in the wrong direction there

lol I do hope that you meant Hines and not Heinz...are you really a steelers fan lol?:helmet:

Hines86Ward
02-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Here's my thoughts on Anthony Gonzalez....

He's not good at running routes & I don't think his hands are great either. There's no reason for the Steelers to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. If Gonzalez is there in the 4th & the Steelers FO thinks he's a good fit, then take him. But I highly doubt you'll see the Steelers pick him.

Stainless Steel
02-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I hate to think about ANY particular person when it comes draft day. We should have our picks prioritized. Gonzo was reliable for the Buckeyes throughout the regular season. It will be interesting to see how he does in the pros.

Dylan
02-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of Gonzalez but if the steelers would happen to get him i wouldnt mind.

lilyoder6
02-15-2007, 09:45 PM
with the 4 wr set you forgot to add heath miller... he could play a slot Wr for pittsburgh if they do decide to go to 4 wide... they could pick up someone during FA.. but you got ted ginn jr, Robert Meachem, steve smith, but i guess we will have to watch the combine that starts feb 27 to see who does good and who doesn't

Hildebrand
02-15-2007, 09:53 PM
I personally hope we don't take a receiver on the first day, I think our linebacker core is in bad shape with Joey's contract and 3 of the 4 being 30 and above years old.

tony hipchest
03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
he would be very hard to pass up in the 3rd as an eventual replacement for hines ward but i dont think he will last that long. he had an excellent combine, and many think his game will translate real well to the nfl. ive seen nothing that shows he has problems with running routes or bad hands and i love the way he takes care of his body, even using unorthadox methods. he shows alot of commitment to me. this is from an article talking about how sometimes the "other guy" in a college tandem often do better than thier highly touted counterpart when getting into the nfl. (think peter warrick vs. laverneus coles):

http://nfl.com/combine/story/10025987Anthony Gonzalez had the best three-cone drill among wideouts with a 6.54. He also had a 4.08 shuttle (tied for the best WR time) and a 4.44 in the 40. At Ohio State, he finished up with 87 receptions for 1,286 yards and 13 touchdowns. He also went through his entire college career without a fumble.

ARKIESTEEL
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
We need alot of things before we need another WR. Please wait to pick one up

Crushzilla
03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
There should be no receiver taken on the first day. PERIOD. Unless Calvin Johnson maybe falls....

What?

It could.... HAHAHA ahhh almost...

DACEB
03-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Day 1 should consist of defensive players. I don't know if we have 3 or 4 picks day 1, but I figured 2 defense and 1 O-line (depending who's on the board). With the exception IMO if either T. Hunt or B. Leonard are available in the 3rd.