PDA

View Full Version : Contracts

steeldogAL
02-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Does anyone know the status of Big Ben's or Polamalu's contracts. I think they are both in their last seasons or close to it. :tt02:

Livinginthe past
02-16-2007, 04:04 AM
Polamalu is in his last year.

The Steelers will pay Polamalu a $225,000 salary this year -- the rookie minimum -- with his base wages increasing to $305,000, $566,000, $827,000 and $1.088 million through 2007.

Roethlisberger is contracted until the end of the 2009 season.

On August 4, 2004 Roethlisberger signed a six-year contract worth $22.26 million in salaries and bonuses, with an additional $17.73 million available via incentives.

NM

X-Terminator
02-16-2007, 06:05 AM
That is actually fortuitous for the Steelers to have their two franchise players' contracts end 2 seasons apart - it should allow them some flexibility in their personnel decisions to give them the extra cap room they will need to sign them both to extensions. You would think that they will begin negotiating Troy's extension ASAP - they will have to break the bank to re-sign him, and they shouldn't even think twice about doing so.

Livinginthe past
02-16-2007, 06:29 AM
That is actually fortuitous for the Steelers to have their two franchise players' contracts end 2 seasons apart - it should allow them some flexibility in their personnel decisions to give them the extra cap room they will need to sign them both to extensions. You would think that they will begin negotiating Troy's extension ASAP - they will have to break the bank to re-sign him, and they shouldn't even think twice about doing so.

I think its safe to say that another team will be in a position to offer more than the Steelers for his services (what with potential cap room).

The Steelers have to offer him enough so that he doesn't feel like they are taking advantage of his natural loyalty.

I think Pittsburgh may get lucky - everything I have read about him makes me think he sees the 'bigger picture' ie, that being happy with your employers and your location is more important than a couple of extra mil in the bank.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh will be challenging on a much more regular basis than any of the teams who have a large amount of cap room that will likely bid for him.

NM

X-Terminator
02-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I think its safe to say that another team will be in a position to offer more than the Steelers for his services (what with potential cap room).

The Steelers have to offer him enough so that he doesn't feel like they are taking advantage of his natural loyalty.

I think Pittsburgh may get lucky - everything I have read about him makes me think he sees the 'bigger picture' ie, that being happy with your employers and your location is more important than a couple of extra mil in the bank.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh will be challenging on a much more regular basis than any of the teams who have a large amount of cap room that will likely bid for him.

NM

I agree, however they have to realize that Troy is part of the "core" of the team and one guy they definitely cannot afford to lose. IMO, it is going to take an 8-figure signing bonus as a starting point toward an extension, and recent history shows that they are extremely hesitant about paying that kind of cash up front. Having Art Rooney II as the point man in those contract negotiations doesn't make me feel all that comfortable, either.

steel#1
02-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I have to believe that they will do everything humanly possible to sign Troy. They have to have listened to the profuse praise from every other coach in the league and realize that he would be signed in a heartbeat by anybody. Also they have to know that as important as Ben is to the offense, Troy is the QB of the defense, and is as equally important.

Livinginthe past
02-16-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree, however they have to realize that Troy is part of the "core" of the team and one guy they definitely cannot afford to lose. IMO, it is going to take an 8-figure signing bonus as a starting point toward an extension, and recent history shows that they are extremely hesitant about paying that kind of cash up front. Having Art Rooney II as the point man in those contract negotiations doesn't make me feel all that comfortable, either.

I think the Patriots and the Steelers FO operate along similar lines.

New England was willing to pay whatever it took to the two players it thought were indispensible - Tom Brady and Richard Seymour.

Its possible that Pittsburgh value Troy in a similar bracket - I can't imagine anything worse than Steeler fans watching Troy line up against them for a postseason opponent.

NM

ExtonSteelFan
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Troy's situation plays out. I remember a few posters here mentioning his cuncussions and how it may or may not affect his contract renewal. I for one believe he will be a steeler, but you never know how things are gonna play out. I really hope the FO makes it a priority to keep him around.

SteelerFanInCA
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Troy seems to have the humble approach for now. Hopefully he keeps that mentality. At the end of the day it's all about the money for many players. Hopefully stability and longevity are important to Troy.

steelin games
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Even if they can't get him signed this offseason, they would most likely use the franchise tag next season to keep Troy off the market.

Stlrs4Life
02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
It'll be interesting to see how Troy's situation plays out. I remember a few posters here mentioning his cuncussions and how it may or may not affect his contract renewal. I for one believe he will be a steeler, but you never know how things are gonna play out. I really hope the FO makes it a priority to keep him around.

Exactly, also keep in mind, if you break the bank with Troy, Ben is going to want to expect the same, or even more when it is his turn.

HometownGal
02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Having Art Rooney II as the point man in those contract negotiations doesn't make me feel all that comfortable, either.

Though attorneys, for the most part, have the common sense of a shoe horn, every once in a while they swallow the pride (and arrogance) and recognize the indispensible value of an "employee", i.e. Troy Polamalu. AJRII is as pompous and cheap as they come, but he isn't stupid. I think the Steelers will do what they have to do to keep Troy even if it means an eight figure bonus to extend his contract. To think of Troy in any other colors but the black and gold gives me nightmares! :jawdrop:

Elvis
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I honestly think that the Steelers
will make the right decision to keep him around and if they dont
then it means that his concussions are worst
than most people like us think.
:helmet:

Dylan
02-16-2007, 07:17 PM
I hope we can resign Polamalu

Indy_Steelers
02-16-2007, 09:19 PM

NM

I found out through an interview, with Myron Cope that I saw earlier this week, that Art Rooney I had 5 different chances to move the Steelers from the city of Pittsburgh but Cope quoted Rooney as saying, "Money is not my God." So Art kept them in Pittsburgh. I hope some of our current players can, as Bettis did, see the big picture as well.

19ward86
02-16-2007, 10:16 PM
parker needs to be signed,porter needs to be signed.

polamalufan43
02-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Honestly, I think that Willie and Porter will be resigned, Willie in a heartbeat, Porter...I have no clue how.

The thing with Troy is that he has a humble approach, and I think that will help him to be resigned. Plus, he has said before that Pittsburgh will be and is his home, so I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

If any of these three aren't resigned, the entire city will either
A.) Riot
B.) Go into Cardiac arrest and just stand still
C.) Have withdrawal(spl) symptoms

Pittsburgh is a city known to live and die with it's football team in a way that no other city does.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Livinginthe past
02-17-2007, 05:44 PM
C'mon Porter leaving, while maybe not the best football decision, surely wouldn't cause the type of reaction the failure to sign Troy.

As has been mentioned before, I think the most likely scenario is for Porter to play out this final year then move on.

The replacement will be drafted this year or already on the roster.

NM

polamalufan43
02-17-2007, 06:08 PM
C'mon Porter leaving, while maybe not the best football decision, surely wouldn't cause the type of reaction the failure to sign Troy.

As has been mentioned before, I think the most likely scenario is for Porter to play out this final year then move on.

The replacement will be drafted this year or already on the roster.

NM

Very true, like I said before, I would like to see him come back and believe he will, but how and when his terms to coming back will be, is a different story.

Preacher
02-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Even if they can't get him signed this offseason, they would most likely use the franchise tag next season to keep Troy off the market.

Not a chance.

Rooneys will never tie themselves to a situation where they "Have to" pay a player a certain amount of money.

polamalufan43
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, as for the concussions, I don't think it's going to be a problem. His head is fine, and that was proved when they ran tests on his brain, and everything was just as it should be. I also agree that one thing the Rooney's won't do is the whole "franchise player" thing.

IESteel
02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
The Rooneys have been known to not overpay their players but overall they have been pretty good judges on who to keep. Look at what happened to Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Bell, Figures, and Brown. All of them didn't really do much after being released. I think Woodsen is the only one who did anything. They did make efforts to keep players that can make an impact. Namely Ward, Bettis and Smith. They'll do the same with Troy and Ben. Troy's a one-of-a-kind player that could never really be replaced.

slashsteel
02-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah and Woodson was being stubborn about moving to safety. Which is the position he got a ring with with Baltimore. At the time that was the right move to let the- Iwannastillplaycorner- player go.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2007, 09:30 PM
I say Polamalu will retire a Steeler.He's got a level-head and isn't one of those money-grubbing players.

I know we'll keep Ben.He'll want his money,but I don't think he'll want to make the Steelers incapable of being a good team buy wanting an outrageous amount of cash.

As for Porter,he's getting on the downside of his career and can walk after this season if he wishes to do so.This is Pittburgh,we're a linebacker factory.We'll just draft someone to take his place.

SteelShooter
02-18-2007, 09:49 PM

God I hope so..............

Newzfoxjr
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
At the end of the day it's all about the money for many players. Hopefully stability and longevity are important to Troy.

I've never understood that, if I was ever lucky enough to play in the NFL [coming from the kind of upbringing I've had], I would be happy with whatever any team payed me. I'd make my decision on whether or not I was wanted, and if I wanted to stay or not, but not based on money.

I hope Troy comes back though...