PDA

View Full Version : Staley needs to go

LambertIsGod58
08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I think considering how injury prone Staley is, we should get rid of him at the end of the season. With our o-line and RB reserves, I think we could better use the money we are paying Staley. What do you all think?

Justin Otstott
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I agree, since Staley has been with us he has been hurt. What do wee need him for, now if he comes back and plays good this season we keep him if he's on crutchs and in a cast I say use the money for somebody worth paying for.

rowedf
08-18-2005, 02:32 PM
I disagree. I think duce is a fine back, his entire career has been nagged with injuries, so its not like they thought he would play 16 games, he's living up to his history and probably just about what the steelers expected. I do however think he was a bit overpaid, but if we have a healthy duce for say 10 of the 16 weeks, I'm happy.

SteelerFanInATL
08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
I disagree. I think duce is a fine back, his entire career has been nagged with injuries, so its not like they thought he would play 16 games, he's living up to his history and probably just about what the steelers expected. I do however think he was a bit overpaid, but if we have a healthy duce for say 10 of the 16 weeks, I'm happy.

I agree, he was very effective last year while he was in there. I would love to see him score more TD's this year.

Justin Otstott
08-18-2005, 02:44 PM
he was but with him being hurt all the time u would think there is better guys out there! But I hope he does good this season, with Bettis retiring

JerseySTEEL
08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Yes alot of ppl think this, but iam not one of those hes a great RB he hasnt had his breakout year and as u said has been hamperd with injurys but he always comes back form the injurys in top forum. and next year well draft RB in the 1st and hell slowy take the job and duce will be a num 2 like bettis is.iam rly hoping willie parker steps up would be great to see him bust acouple in the start of the year.

clevestinks
08-18-2005, 02:55 PM
I agree! But we should at least see how the season plays out. But he isn`t the youngest rb in the league either. One more injury and show him the door. Draft a first rounder next year.

LambertIsGod58
08-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I like Staley, I just think we spend too much money on him when we have Parker, Haynes and Bettis. At least for now.

Justin Otstott
08-18-2005, 02:57 PM
^ yup! Look I love Duce and his style but with him being hurt it really kills us! I want this to be our year and show them Pats right!

Ironman
08-18-2005, 03:05 PM
I would love to see Staley go. Come on, guys... this is the premier running team in the NFL (or should be). When you see the black and gold you think running backs. The front office needs to pony up in the off-season for a big time FA. Pittsburgh deserves better than what we have in terms of RB. Long live the Bus... and damn the rest. Keep Parker... but the rest can go. I would rather have a stud carrying the ball than all the "best blocking WRs in the game" we can sign.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2005, 07:23 AM
There's NO way in the world Duce will be going anywhere.. w/ Jerome in his last season most likely,and our experience at RB is very very thin beyond those 2, save for Haynes..the FO will not put the hands of our running game, our bread and butter into someone who doesnt know the system or has little experience in it. Pittsburgh has always carried atleast 2 vet. RB's who know the system.

We may very well draft a RB next year or grab a good prospect in FA or trade if and when Jerome retires, but they wont let Duce go with 2 years to go, I'd almost bet on it.

Im not saying that his injury problems dont piss me off, they do big time, but the FO won't release him just yet.

stillers4strife
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I would have liked to see A-Train in a Steeler uni. Always available RB's like AT during the offseason. And Dallas got AT on the cheap.

I'd give Duce a chance. He does have an injury history but he's also proven to be pretty good when healthy. If he misses 6+ games this year, it probably is time to look at how much we'd save by letting him go.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
His contract is pretty evenly stretched out, so releasing him early wouldnt save us ALL that money..but Im sure the FO is keeping an eye on him and seeing how quickly he heals, cuz we'll need him for along time to come and to help groom the young guys when Jerome retires.

LambertIsGod58
08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I think Anthony Thomas would do well here too. And I think stillers4life is right when he says we could get him cheap.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Im sure we'll pick up somebody next year, and mark it down, u heard it here first, watch and see if we don't make a move for Larry Johnson from KC. The guy is a bull, and has good speed as well.

Hhmm.. The Atrain and the Bus ..we'd be stocked! :D

rowedf
08-19-2005, 12:29 PM
KC is not letting go of Larry Johnson!!!! He is their future RB and they know it. Johnson looks awesome this year. I know it sounds ridiculous, but Priest isn't just a shoe in anymore, LJ is going to get a lot more carries this year, Priest healthy or not.

Steel Fury
08-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Duce is a good back when he is healthy. if his salary isn't that bad then keep him next year to be our bettis type but i think we are one more injury away from being screwed for the season. I hope we don't draft a RB high because they are unproven and expensive. Let's look for FA in their third or fourth year that has proven that they can be productive.

stillers4strife
08-19-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm really not worried about Duce or Bettis both ending up injured. I really believe that Haynes and Parker could do well spliting carries. In my humble opinion, I think it is more about the OL than the actual back. Bettis did okay last year but I really believe a lot of his (and the team's) success was due to a consistently good OL. So I think our running game really depends on how the right side of the OL does with Simmons and Starks, moreso than on who we have in the backfield.

The nice thing about A-Train is that he is still relatively young. 26 or 27 years old? He seems to have a higher YPC with the more attempts he gets. This would work well in our run-heavy system. The Bears were battling back from large second half deficits most games so I'd venture to say that the Bears passed quite a bit during the second half or were on defense for much of the game.

Duce is suppossed to be back by or right after Week One right? I'll hold my judgment until then. I think if he misses more than 6 games this year, we need to look for someone else. Maybe Duce moves into a Bettis role of a short-yardage back.

stillers4strife
08-19-2005, 06:08 PM
But yeah there are always those available RB's during the off-season that are serviceable guys. And they can be had at bare-minimum costs.

Prosdo
08-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I like Duce. I think he is a good RB, but the injuries are a problem. I don't think he will be let go this year. I do agree with that we will some how during the offseason next year acquire a RB from FA or the draft. This very well could be Bettis's last year so we can't let Duce go in my opinion.

SteelProven
08-19-2005, 08:26 PM
I was just thinking about this type of situation today. I think a guy that could help us in next years draft is Lendale White. He's built like a steeler RB 6'2 235 and built to run between the tackles. I'm hopin and praying this dude falls to us, then maybe i could consider reducing D. Staley's roll. I don't think releasing him would solve anything cause when he's healthy he's killa ( key words: when he's healthy )

CowherLover
08-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I like Duce. I think he is a good RB, but the injuries are a problem. I don't think he will be let go this year. I do agree with that we will some how during the offseason next year acquire a RB from FA or the draft. This very well could be Bettis's last year so we can't let Duce go in my opinion.

My sentiments exactly. Call it luck, fate or whatever it was when Jerome was picked up from the Rams when everyone said he was washed up, but you never know what Duce has left to offer. We can all be irritated because of the injuries but there's no denying when he's healthy, that's the style of running we all want to see. Just like we all wanted Hines back in camp because of his leadership abilities and knowledge, we need to make sure the same continuity is in place when Jerome retires with the RB's. Don't get carried away too quick about getting rid of him this early in the pre-season. Just my thoughts.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-19-2005, 09:14 PM
We can all be irritated because of the injuries but there's no denying when he's healthy, that's the style of running we all want to see.

That's exactly why we picked him up..he drags tacklers, runs down hill, always falls forward to gain that extra yard. He's as tough a runner as they come. Just gotta keep him on the field and not the sidelines.

slashsteel
08-20-2005, 12:11 AM
Before he was injured he was in competition for the rushing title. You don't let this kind of effort player go.

VaDave
08-20-2005, 07:00 AM
It's a matter of production when it counts. Staley, as talented as he is, has had a difficult time making it throught a whole season in one piece. If he is the number one back, do we keep him on the bench through the regular season and the first part of the playoffs so he's healthy for the Super Bowl?

Based of his track record, if he's on the squad, you'd better have a good plan B, which we do this year. Potentially this is the deepest we've been in the running back department in a long time, so if we let Staley go, maybe we could address a few other areas, like our lack of linebacker dept. In case you haven't noticed, we're a little thin in that department.

Bamataco1
08-20-2005, 11:28 PM

I don't agree with you at all. Duce is way over paid. And management should have for seen the likely hood that he would spend sugnificant time on IR. At the time he was hired he was given a contract that made him the 5th highest paid running back in the NFL. I ask you is he the 5th best running back in the NFL? I sincerly doubt it, I don't think that he is even in the top ten. This was a major error on the part of the front office, one that will hurt the team cap wise for quite a while.

pitt
08-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Duce's constant injuries worry me. Parker has proven himself.

clevestinks
08-21-2005, 07:09 AM
I think considering how injury prone Staley is, we should get rid of him at the end of the season. With our o-line and RB reserves, I think we could better use the money we are paying Staley. What do you all think?

I did agree with you 100% earlier in the threads. Now I`m thinking save the cash, cut him now! LOL I know we would be spreaDING OURSELVES TO THINK AT the back pos.

Ironman
08-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Sweet!... I got my first negative feedback for my post in this thread. Sorry guys... I am not of the "Steelers can do no wrong" contingency. I take an objective view and I don't get caught up in the misguided love for certain players. Make my team stronger on the field... I have no tolerance for lovable underachievers or the chronically injured. Since I'm sure the "best blocking WR in the game" crack got me the negative feedback... signing Hines may be a feel good story for most of you... but the fact of the matter is... he will never be a top 5 receiver and should not be paid like it. He doesn't make the top 15 in receptions, the top 20 in yards or the top 30 in TD's for a receiver. The intangibles he brings to the locker room can be had at a much smaller price. Spend the money on a 30 carry RB... we can find rookies to block CB and Safeties.

LambertIsGod58
08-21-2005, 03:19 PM
I couldn't have said it any better Ironman....

ironcitychef
08-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Don't think Staley doesn't know he is becomming the Batch of the backfield. Too much money and injuries to have a lengthy stay. Does Duckett become a FA this year?

rowedf
08-23-2005, 10:19 AM
You guys really are the epitomy of Steeler fans. Let me guess Ben's first pick and you'll be calling for his head too, or when Hines drops a a ball, OMG cut him !!! He's horrible. Give the guy a break, he got elected the NFL's toughest player 2 years ago with the Eagles....ya he does get hurt and miss games, but ya know what, ALL RB's do. Duce has never missed a full season, just cut him some slack, gesh...... oh ya i forgot, we have parker and herron and haynes (ya he's a real healthy backup) lol, but as soon a they sprain an ankle or miss a game, guess they'll have to go as well.

Ironman
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Give the guy a break, he got elected the NFL's toughest player 2 years ago with the Eagles.

"NFL's toughest player 2 years ago"... "Best blocking WR in the game"... "Miss Congeniality"... those are all titles that look good on a sash around some 4th place bimbo's chest at the Miss America pagent but they translate to nothing in the end. If the epitome of a Steelers fan is someone who cares more about the jersey than the robots wearing it, then I'm it. I don't care who wears 36 or 7 or 86. I just want wins... and fragile running backs and blocking WR aren't going to get them. Go ahead and love your Hines and your Duce... just don't love them to 8-8 and no play-offs. Thank God for our defense...we'd be in a hell of a spot.

acrossthepond
08-23-2005, 03:37 PM

If he is out injured all season and the long-term prognosis is bad then we cut him - I think he'll be OK this year and play well and we'll all have forgotten the issue come January. He has generally played through pain alot in his career if I remember right and played well. According to scout.com "Staley earned a reputation with the Eagles as a tough player who could play with the pain and bounce back from injury."

ironcitychef
08-24-2005, 07:12 AM
You guys really are the epitomy of Steeler fans. Let me guess Ben's first pick and you'll be calling for his head too, or when Hines drops a a ball, OMG cut him !!! He's horrible. Give the guy a break, he got elected the NFL's toughest player 2 years ago with the Eagles....ya he does get hurt and miss games, but ya know what, ALL RB's do. Duce has never missed a full season, just cut him some slack, gesh...... oh ya i forgot, we have parker and herron and haynes (ya he's a real healthy backup) lol, but as soon a they sprain an ankle or miss a game, guess they'll have to go as well.

Don't get me wrong, we loved Fu'Amatu as well, but as the injuries stack up you just give other guys chances to give reason why we shouldn't pay you. Would love for Duce to stay healthy. Would love for Simmons to stay healthy. But if they don't and others step up, I can understand it. Some point you have to factor in the return on investment. We are not paying him #1 back money to play in only half the games(not that injury is his fault). If this becomes a constant problem, then you have to be ready with a plan B.

rowedf
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't agree with you at all. Duce is way over paid. And management should have for seen the likely hood that he would spend sugnificant time on IR. At the time he was hired he was given a contract that made him the 5th highest paid running back in the NFL. I ask you is he the 5th best running back in the NFL? I sincerly doubt it, I don't think that he is even in the top ten. This was a major error on the part of the front office, one that will hurt the team cap wise for quite a while.

Ok, I'm really not trying to sound like a smart ass here, but did you even look up what his salary is and the cap hit he brings? According to your arguement, about him being injured too often the front office did his contract PERFECTLY!

2004 Salary = $660,000 Cap Hit = $1.4 Mill
2005 Salary = $665,000 Cap Hit = $1.8 Mill
2006 Salary = $2.5 Mill Cap Hit = $3.6 Mill

That glaringly says, they knew he has never played a full season healthy and worked the contract accordingly. If Deuce stayed healthy for the first two years of the deal (I assume) they wouldn't mind taking the hit on the last year (given how well he runs when healthy), if he doesn't they have the option of cutting him post 6/1 and only taking a $1.1 Mill cap hit.

Saying someone is the fifth highest paid player is sooo skewed these days. I think management did an excellent job with this contract because it gives them an out if they are not satisfied with his performance or his health.

SteelZeal
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Looking at those cap numbers, I think it's nearly a given that this is Duce's last year as a Steeler. We can't be taking a 2.5 mil cap hit for him next year, especially with Casey's new contract and (hopefully) a new deal for Hines.

If Duce is gone and Bus retires, Parker probably becomes the starter, Haynes will be around, and we'll pick up another RB in next year's draft. Plus we may hang onto Noah Herron. And personally, I'd be OK with that situation at RB next year.

rowedf
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree, I think we have some young talent that has promise. Following the scenerio of Bettis retiring and Deuce being released for cap reasons (unless he has an excellent, healthy year) I like having Haynes, Parker, Herron and then adding a veteran FA.

acrossthepond
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Looking at those cap numbers, I think it's nearly a given that this is Duce's last year as a Steeler. We can't be taking a 2.5 mil cap hit for him next year, especially with Casey's new contract and (hopefully) a new deal for Hines.

If Duce is gone and Bus retires, Parker probably becomes the starter, Haynes will be around, and we'll pick up another RB in next year's draft. Plus we may hang onto Noah Herron. And personally, I'd be OK with that situation at RB next year.

Alternatively they re-do his contract next off-season, pay him his 2006 salary as a SB and re-do his later years at a lower level.

SteelCityMan786
08-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Just Remember though, The Steelers Face a risk of Salary Cap Penalties if they release him.

Bamataco1
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Ok, I'm really not trying to sound like a smart ass here, but did you even look up what his salary is and the cap hit he brings? According to your arguement, about him being injured too often the front office did his contract PERFECTLY!

2004 Salary = $660,000 Cap Hit = $1.4 Mill
2005 Salary = $665,000 Cap Hit = $1.8 Mill
2006 Salary = $2.5 Mill Cap Hit = $3.6 Mill

That glaringly says, they knew he has never played a full season healthy and worked the contract accordingly. If Deuce stayed healthy for the first two years of the deal (I assume) they wouldn't mind taking the hit on the last year (given how well he runs when healthy), if he doesn't they have the option of cutting him post 6/1 and only taking a $1.1 Mill cap hit.

Saying someone is the fifth highest paid player is sooo skewed these days. I think management did an excellent job with this contract because it gives them an out if they are not satisfied with his performance or his health.

I guess it depends how you look at it. He should have been paid less. His talent level doesn'r deserve being the 5th highest paid tail back in the league. Even more so considering he misses a lot of games. We could have done better with the same money.

rowedf
08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
But thats what I mean about saying 5th highest paid, that really means nothing the way they space contracts out, if someone signs a deal for 100 million but its a 10 year deal, they'll never see that 100 million, so sayin they are the highest paid player isnt really true.

Bamataco1
08-25-2005, 09:35 PM
But thats what I mean about saying 5th highest paid, that really means nothing the way they space contracts out, if someone signs a deal for 100 million but its a 10 year deal, they'll never see that 100 million, so sayin they are the highest paid player isnt really true.
Yea I see what you are saying. It's just when I look at our tail back situation I think we could have done better. Duce is injured to much of the time andBettis is getting old. Parker looks good but I doubt that Cowher will use him as the feature tail back.

clevestinks
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Staley is heading down Bust row. I hope it isn`t so , but he just is very unlucky , or fragile.

rowedf
08-26-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm not that worried about the Staley situation. Either way the Steelers are in a position to do what they want.

Scenerio #1: He has a great season, stays reasonably healthy and we keep him
Scenerio #2: He doesnt stay healthy or under performs and we cut him.

After this season is when that decision is going to be made, its how his contract was set up, (low cap hit early, high cap hit late in the deal) so either way, they either get a good back and keep him (while paying him justifably), or cut him, save 2-3 mill on the cap and grab a FA after the season.

I think Parker will seen prime time action tonight. Bettis will get 3-4 carries, Parker the rest (for the half) I dont think they'll use Haynes more than 3rd down back tonight.

Mean Machine
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
We need that Duce was injury prone when we got him. Problem with letting him go now is the salary cap hit would would sustain. After Bettis retires next year, it will be him and Willie Parker and that's it. We must focus on the 2006 NFL Draft Class and get a quality RB for depth purposes.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Next year we'll still have Duce, Haynes, Parker, and probably Herron..so we'll have some decent ones, but either way, the Steelers will not go into next w/ 2 somewhat fragile RB's as the main starters in Duce and Verron. So yeah, I'd look to us go into FA or the draft and grab ourself some insurance at the RB spot.

Avoid LLoyd1975
08-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Boot Staley. He is a bum collecting a paycheck. He is what we call a WGF in the military. A WASTE of GOVERNMENT FUNDS. I remember last year when he was voted one of the toughest players in the NFL. I have yet to see that.

CowherLover
08-27-2005, 11:52 AM
"NFL's toughest player 2 years ago"... "Best blocking WR in the game"... "Miss Congeniality"... those are all titles that look good on a sash around some 4th place bimbo's chest at the Miss America pagent but they translate to nothing in the end. If the epitome of a Steelers fan is someone who cares more about the jersey than the robots wearing it, then I'm it. I don't care who wears 36 or 7 or 86. I just want wins... and fragile running backs and blocking WR aren't going to get them. Go ahead and love your Hines and your Duce... just don't love them to 8-8 and no play-offs. Thank God for our defense...we'd be in a hell of a spot.

Just curious if you considered Lambert a robot as well, obviously not considering your screen name. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill! One of the reasons that I have loved this forum from my first day is that this type of bashing and belittling hasn't been frequent. Everyone on this site is obviously a huge fan, there isn't anyone who can say that one is "more" of a fan than the next person. We all have our own personalities that translate into our own ideaology of how our team and front office needs to think. But I beleive that referring to our players as robots instead of the dedicated people that they are, is going just a smidge too far. Our organization has been built around individuals working together as a team forever and I hope it stays that way. I'm not a fan of the revolving-door team. You don't have consistency or the comraderie that is needed to be successful year in and year out. I am an admitted player lover, each on their own merit. And yes, I love their titles and I think maybe they should get pretty sashes at the end of the year like the pagent contestants get.

Avoid LLoyd1975
08-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Staley is a lazy bum who can't play a down of football without crying about a stubbed toe. I can't believe he was voted one of the toughest players last year.

Suitanim
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not that worried about the Staley situation. Either way the Steelers are in a position to do what they want.

Scenerio #1: He has a great season, stays reasonably healthy and we keep him
Scenerio #2: He doesnt stay healthy or under performs and we cut him.

This is probably about how the FO views the situation, too. If Duce gets injured AGAIN this year, he's gone. The Eagles are really good about keeping on top of future FA's that they don't want to pay, and it was just bad luck that they got hit with the injury bug with the backs they kept after they dumped Duce. The Steelers are just as good at it.

Bettis is retiring this year no matter what. Duce is productive and healthy at the end of '05? He stays but restructures...nobody else will want him.

We'll draft an RB next year regardless...but if we have a bad finish, we'll trade our pick down. The Steelers will not overpay for "Top 10" talent because it's usually not worth it.

I actually hope the NFL and the players Union agree to start capping rookie contracts like they do in the NBA after this season.

rowedf
09-04-2005, 02:32 PM
What I would love is the NFL, NBA, and MLB come up with a join CBA. I love how baseball players cannot become free agents for several years...I love the arbitration process they have setup, if the NFL could work that into the CBA it would be great, but no way will the NFLPA go for that :)

tootalltoscore
09-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Yes alot of ppl think this, but iam not one of those hes a great RB he hasnt had his breakout year and as u said has been hamperd with injurys but he always comes back form the injurys in top forum. and next year well draft RB in the 1st and hell slowy take the job and duce will be a num 2 like bettis is.iam rly hoping willie parker steps up would be great to see him bust acouple in the start of the year.

I agree with most of the comments above, with one exception, I just cannot see us taking a RB in the 1st Round next year, more likely a LB, if we really lucky, I would like to see a top talent for the O-Line fall to us.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-04-2005, 10:01 PM
The Steelers will not overpay for "Top 10" talent because it's usually not worth it.

Absoutely, especially when you are talking RB..nearly every draft has good talent late in the first day and on day 2 for RB's.

Koopa
09-04-2005, 10:48 PM
i think we should take a look at selvin young like in the 3rd or 4th round. he's faster then a mother...... and can run between the tackles with ease. his ankle might be messed up cause he had surgery on it last season but once he knows he can play on it and not have to worry if it's going to mess up again, he's going to have a great season but his draft status won't be to high cause he's going to be sharing the ball a lot with our true freshman jamal charles. so if selvin young is still there in the 3rd or 4th i wouldn't mind us taking him, also he's a great punt returner.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
I still think we should have looked at like a Chris Perry or something this past year, just for some insurance to go along w/ Herron.

clevestinks
09-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Staley has lost alot of fans here. Remember how hyped we all were when we signed him?

rowedf
09-06-2005, 09:15 AM
I think the Staley haters are being a bit too presumptious. Lets see if he can get healthy and stay healthy, when he does, he is a great back.

Black-n-Gold
09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
I agree, he's just been out for too long and people are starting to give up on him. I was hoping they'd play him alot more in the playoff last year, he's still a great back. If he can stay healthy this season I believe he'll have a great year. On the other hand if he doesn't perform as he should or does get another serious injury we need to let the younger guys step up.