PDA

View Full Version : Bengals first to use Franchise tag.

Livinginthe past
02-16-2007, 03:59 AM
CINCINNATI -- Defensive end Justin Smith, who has led Cincinnati's line in tackles in each of the last five seasons, was designated as the Bengals' franchise player Thursday.

Smith would have become an unrestricted free agent March 2 if he doesn't reach a contract agreement with the Bengals before then. The franchise tag means the Bengals could keep Smith by matching any offer sheet he signed with another team.

If they choose not to match another offer, the Bengals would get the other team's first-round draft picks in 2007 and 2008 as compensation.

He would be guaranteed $8,644,000, the average salary of the top five defensive ends next season.

"This move helps us keep our core players together, and it gives us an opportunity to continue negotiating for a longer-term contract with Justin," coach Marvin Lewis said.

Smith had 110 tackles in the 2006 season and ranked second on the team in sacks with 7.5. He has played all six of his NFL seasons with Cincinnati.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2767112

No jokes about Bengals players being 'tagged' please :wink02:

NM

X-Terminator
02-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Oh darn, you just had to take the fun out of this thread, didn't you? :wink02:

Anyway, Smith's a nice player - one of the most consistent players they have on their woeful defense. Don't know if he's worth almost $9 million per season though.

polamalufan43
02-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Anyway, Smith's a nice player - one of the most consistent players they have on their woeful defense. Don't know if he's worth almost $9 million per season though.

I agree, I would say maybe around 5-7mil.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Ward 86
02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
I woudn't be surprised if they put a franchise tag on carson palmer as well.

Elvis
02-16-2007, 05:27 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
They should... He is the only
one that can stay out of Jail!!!!:jawdrop:
:helmet:

polamalufan43
02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
They should... He is the only
one that can stay out of Jail!!!!:jawdrop:
:helmet:

Pfh, they should do that as a reward to any player that can keep out of jail until the offseason is over, however, the regular season is still in question.... can anyone say SUSPENSION...WHO'S NEXT

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

NV STEELERS 723
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2767112

No jokes about Bengals players being 'tagged' please :wink02:

NM

Dang LITP....I had a really good comment too...I'll just chuckle to myself!

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2007, 05:04 PM

They already extended Palmer.

Preacher
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they can only franchise tag one player a year.

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they can only franchise tag one player a year.you are correct and slrs4life is right.

there is a big difference between a bunch of bengalfans saying palmer is a franchise qb and the club actually having to use the "franchise tag" on a player.

just because the patriots had the option of placing the franchise tag on daniel graham, in no way implies they would ever think he is their "franchise player".

Black@Gold Forever32
02-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Hey Justin Smith is one of the few Bengals players that hasn't been arrested so thats why maybe they franchised him as well. They have to keep some non turds on the roster.lol

But on a more serious note. Smith is a good solid player but he isn't worth $9 million per year but since the Bengals defense has been terrible they had to over pay to keep one of their solid players on defense.