PDA

View Full Version : Asante Samuel Franchise Tagged By Patriots

Livinginthe past
02-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Details are sketchy at this time - but Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe has the first web based details of the move, after Adam Schefter reported it on NFL Network.

The Patriots informed cornerback Asante Samuel today that they are placing the franchise tag on him. Adam Schefter first reported the news on the NFL Network.

The news was confirmed tonight by Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

NM

tony hipchest
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
so much for the pats getting any "compensation".

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14454&page=3&highlight=turnip

this has pretty much been a forgone conclusion. i know the pats faithful love to hold on to this myth that there is "magic" to where any player cans simply be replaced, but in the real world that just is not the case. pats defense would suffer a great deal without samuel. it sure sucks to see their back against the wall and a player call the shots.

nice tat asanti!

RoethlisBURGHer
02-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh well,if they don't get a contract done he'll be gone after the upcoming season.

Hines0wnz
02-21-2007, 01:58 PM
I think most people saw this one coming.

Elvis
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
Asante would have looked Good in
Black N Gold
:helmet:

ChronoCross
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
They have the cap money now. There planning on spending all there cap this year, why not lock the boy up unless they have other plans, and hoping maybe asante goes for a cheaper price next year.

Livinginthe past
04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Here is the latest - looks like Asante has gone into full 'show-me-the-money' mode which is disappointing.

I find it amazing that players genuinely expect the Patriots to be able to match what the 49ers and the Cardinals of the NFL are able to offer in terms of salary - still if they are willing to offer up a 1st rounder minimum they'll take it.

Free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel, whom the Patriots slapped with their franchise tag in February, is so displeased and discouraged with his contract talks with the team that he now is open to the idea of playing elsewhere and will seek a trade.

"This is to let everybody know that I'm not happy anymore and things are not going well," Samuel said in his first public comments since the Patriots franchised him. "At first I thought it was going well, but it's not"

"We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I'm worth one price and the other teams think I'm worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can't be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded."

If a long-term deal cannot get done with New England and a trade to another team does not happen, Samuel said he also is prepared to take steps he would rather not and sit out this season.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10108712

fansince'76
04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Here is the latest - looks like Asante has gone into full 'show-me-the-money' mode which is disappointing.

I find it amazing that players genuinely expect the Patriots to be able to match what the 49ers and the Cardinals of the NFL are able to offer in terms of salary - still if they are willing to offer up a 1st rounder minimum they'll take it.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10108712

This is EXACTLY what would have happened with Porter, had he stuck around.

polamalufan43
04-05-2007, 06:49 AM
^^^I think so too. It seems really likely.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Livinginthe past
06-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Looks like the Samuel situation is heading the same way as the Deion Branch episode - im confident that the Patriots will ship him out if they can get a 1st rounder for him.

Its not often you hear a guy openly proclaim that he wont take the field until week10 (even though its always been an option) and I really understand the business aspect of the set-up it just a shame he has to sound so whiny about the whole deal.

Maybe some teams will realise that the Patriots have one of the best front 7's in football, are always hard to run on and that those could be solid reasons why Asante picked off 10 last year.

Id rather they thought he was the second coming of Champ Bailey though and traded for/paid him like it

The Patriots' lone mandatory offseason minicamp starts today, and disgruntled cornerback Asante Samuel won't be present.

Reached yesterday after he didn't show up to the Patriots Charitable Foundation golf tournament at The International, Samuel reiterated his stance that he is unhappy with the progress of contract negotiations.

"I'm not coming to camp," he said. "I'm not showing up until the 10th week [of the season]. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/06/05/samuel_see_you_in_week_10/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Looks like the Samuel situation is heading the same way as the Deion Branch episode - im confident that the Patriots will ship him out if they can get a 1st rounder for him.

seeing this situation coming down the pike is kinda got me thinking if the pats were gearing up for one last run. however it is possible this is actually becoming more of a front office strategy for rebuilding rather than a symptom of success.

pat kirwan has been talking alot about the situation going on in kansas city and some of it pertains to the patriots especially since they got their qb and pass rushing DE locked up to huge long term contracts. worth a read as a whole but heres some exerpts:

It should be assumed for the moment that Allen and Johnson both want to be paid at least in the top three of their respective positions, and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they both were looking for the No. 1 deal at their position. The franchise tag for defensive ends is almost $9 million and the running back tag is close to $7 million. A team can only have one franchised player and it may come down to picking one player over the other to remain a Chief. Kansas City would love to keep both but it might take so much guaranteed money and such a large percentage of the salary cap that it wouldn't be feasible.
Which position is more important? Ask most NFL personnel people to rank the value of positions in the NFL and it usually goes like this: quarterback, pass rusher, blindside tackle, cover corner, wide receiver, linebacker, running back, defensive tackle, safety and tight end. That also happens to correlate with the franchise tag prices that are currently dictating the price of great players.How can you keep both? I once got stuck with our two best players in a similar situation. First we had to create the cap space to operate. The Chiefs have about $8 million in space right now but half of that space will be used for draft picks. So a player like Green and his $7.2 million salary at age 37 is probably a casualty. It's after June 1, which means the Chiefs can put off salary-cap charges on Green until next year. The first step after securing enough space is to sit down with the agents for both players and explain the franchise tag will be used on one of them if they get the other signed. But that can backfire. In my situation, we got one signed and the other was so upset with the franchise tag that we eventually traded him.

This whole business strategy to lock up the best two players on the Chiefs roster is a task not many could achieve. Can a team afford to have two players consume well over 10 percent or maybe even closer to 20 percent of the team's salary cap space? The Colts will have to in order to keep Peyton Manning and Dwight Freeney on the roster.

i think it would take a hell of alot of salary cap rule bending for the pats to have 4 of the highest paid at their position (lets say franchise salary at the average of top 5) taking up almost 30% of the teams cap space.

X-Terminator
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, looks like I've got a message for Mr. Samuel, and I'm sure LITP and other Pats fans will agree with me...

Hey Asante!

http://gr00pz.ds-play.com/stfu/homepage/stfu.JPG

Ya friggin crybaby...

Livinginthe past
06-05-2007, 04:57 PM
seeing this situation coming down the pike is kinda got me thinking if the pats were gearing up for one last run. however it is possible this is actually becoming more of a front office strategy for rebuilding rather than a symptom of success.

pat kirwan has been talking alot about the situation going on in kansas city and some of it pertains to the patriots especially since they got their qb and pass rushing DE locked up to huge long term contracts. worth a read as a whole but heres some exerpts:

i think it would take a hell of alot of salary cap rule bending for the pats to have 4 of the highest paid at their position (lets say franchise salary at the average of top 5) taking up almost 30% of the teams cap space.

I agree 100% with the article and what you said - there simply isn't enough in the salary cap pot to go round if so much is invested in 3 or so positions.

The teams know this, and I am reasonably confident that the Patriots have a coherent rolling 3 year plan in place so that they don't get badly caught out further down the road.

Its possible to predict the approximate salary cap for the next 3 years, along with the respective franchise tags and what % they command of that salary cap.

I still believe (like alot of others) that the Patriots really wanted to keep Deion Branch last year but they simply weren't willing to sacrafice the 3 year plan (thats an approximate guess) in order to keep him.

If the Patriots were truly making a 1 year run at a title they would do whatever to takes in order to keep their best CB content this year - even if it meant backloading the contract and selling future Patriots teams down the river with an unreasonable cap hit.

I think Asante is an excellent CB who is still some distance from peaking, but I think its a combination of a general weakness in CB talent in the NFL along with him wanting to 'strike while the iron is hot' (after his one superb year) that has caused him to holdout.

If the Patriots didn't trade him he would lose a large % of the $7.8million by remaining on the bench for the first 10 weeks (if its pro-rata I make that to be just under $5million) - its enough of a risk to make me think that Samuel and his agent must think some sort of trade will get done with another team.

Once 'negotiations' reach this point I find it extremely difficult to imagine the guy becoming a Patriot again - all our successful negotiations with hold out players (Seymour) have never become nasty and have stayed out of the press.

Livinginthe past
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Well, looks like I've got a message for Mr. Samuel, and I'm sure LITP and other Pats fans will agree with me...

Hey Asante!

http://gr00pz.ds-play.com/stfu/homepage/stfu.JPG

Ya friggin crybaby...

Heh heh!

Spot on XT! :cheers:

Go for the money by all means, but give the 'woe is me' attitude a break - its fooling no-one.

tony hipchest
06-05-2007, 06:45 PM
i'd hate to see it happen and work, but the patriots could be onto a new method of ensuring competitiveness for years to come. if they did trade samuel for a 1st round pick they would have 3 1st rounders next season; more than enough leverage for them to get any player they want or even trade out and have the same type of leverage the following season.

in 08, when ty warrenn holds out, they can do the same. they pretty much get the best out of a player in his rookie contract (1st round picks get a 5-6 year contract), when the age to money ratio provides the best value.

the steelers and patriots both recognized the same thing about this years draft class- it was weak. most players left in the 3rd round had 4th or 5th round value compared to other drafts. for the steelers to draft, who they thought was the best TE they maximized that value. for the patriots to simply trade their pick, in a year they had already traded a 1st and a 2nd, they maximized their value.

i dont know if this will work with a constant infusion of youth if it is indeed a strategy. i actually think it will work. its the same principal of the compensetory picks, except losing a good player a year earlier for a much bigger compensation a year earlier. its like putting money in the bank. sure you suffer a bit w/o that money in the short term, but if you can afford it, do a bit of budgeting and manage by clipping coupons (moss and stallworth) or something, youre better off in the long haul.

this is why i was such a big proponent of trading alan faneca.

Livinginthe past
06-06-2007, 04:37 AM
It would seem the Pats set the bar with Branch, now all of thier players can hold out and they can clearly expect a trade. The Pats shoudl stick it to him and let him rid ethe pine the whole year. If they had made Branch hold out and then sat him when he came back, Smauel wouldn't be pulling this crap. It's not the easy road, but it would payoff in the end to play alittle hardball with these guys.

I think they are playing what I would classify as 'hardball' in these negotiations.

They have a value of what a player is worth and they won't be swayed from that valuation, no matter what the player threatens.

NFL teams can't afford to 'sit' their top WR when there is an offer of a 1st rounder on the table for him - thats cutting your nose off just to spite your face.

Livinginthe past
06-06-2007, 04:51 AM
i'd hate to see it happen and work, but the patriots could be onto a new method of ensuring competitiveness for years to come. if they did trade samuel for a 1st round pick they would have 3 1st rounders next season; more than enough leverage for them to get any player they want or even trade out and have the same type of leverage the following season.

in 08, when ty warrenn holds out, they can do the same. they pretty much get the best out of a player in his rookie contract (1st round picks get a 5-6 year contract), when the age to money ratio provides the best value.

the steelers and patriots both recognized the same thing about this years draft class- it was weak. most players left in the 3rd round had 4th or 5th round value compared to other drafts. for the steelers to draft, who they thought was the best TE they maximized that value. for the patriots to simply trade their pick, in a year they had already traded a 1st and a 2nd, they maximized their value.

i dont know if this will work with a constant infusion of youth if it is indeed a strategy. i actually think it will work. its the same principal of the compensetory picks, except losing a good player a year earlier for a much bigger compensation a year earlier. its like putting money in the bank. sure you suffer a bit w/o that money in the short term, but if you can afford it, do a bit of budgeting and manage by clipping coupons (moss and stallworth) or something, youre better off in the long haul.

this is why i was such a big proponent of trading alan faneca.

Yup, i'd say you have it about right.

Out of teams that I would consider successful in the FA era I think the Patriots, Steelers and Colts sit in one camp - where the player typically plays out his rookie contract and is then made an offer based upon approx 4/5 years of playing 'evidence'.

The only successful team that I can think of that has a different way of doing things is the Eagles, who tend to evaluate their players before their rookie contract is played out and then offer a contract that projects how good they will be over the length of that new contract.

There is more risk (and it must be more difficult to evaluate a guy earlier in his career) in the way the Eagles do business, but it seems to keep their top FA's away from the market place.

The contract they offer always seems to hold greater value for the player because he hasn't had a huge year to date (plus it probably strokes his ego to be offered a new contract before his last one finishes)

Two potential problems - the player could get injured or just not play awell as you had projected when you offered him the contract.

The second problem is that even guys who recently signed a new contract tend to get bent out of shape if some guys in their position hit the FA jackpot the following year (like this years O-linemen).

How successful the Patriots are at trading want-away players at the end of their rook contracts depends alot on how the market is for that particular position and how the Patriots have performed in the previous couple of years.

fansince'76
07-17-2007, 12:16 AM
An update....

CB and Patriots fail to reach contract agreement

July 16, 2007

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Cornerback Asante Samuel and the New England Patriots failed to agree on a multiyear contract Monday, setting the stage for a possible holdout.

Samuel, coming off the best of his four seasons, can only play for the $7.79 million tender offer the Patriots made when they designated him as their franchise player. He skipped the team's mandatory minicamp last month and has said he intends to hold out until the 10th week of the regular season.

The club made no transactions on Monday, team spokesman Stacey James said. Samuel's agent, Alonzo Shavers, did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

The deadline for franchise players to reach a multiyear contract was Monday at 4 p.m. EDT. Now the two sides are not allowed to agree to one until after the season. Had the Patriots not placed the franchise tag on him, Samuel could have become an unrestricted free agent and they would not be compensated if he signed elsewhere.

Samuel, 26, tied Champ Bailey of Denver for the NFL regular-season lead with 10 interceptions last season. Samuel also has three interception returns for touchdowns in the playoffs, tying him with former Oakland Raider Willie Brown for the NFL record.

The Patriots drafted Samuel in the fourth round out of Central Florida in 2003.

Samuel and Patriots fail to reach contract agreement (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArQ6s5fKbfSevcRPNl91VqtDubYF?slug=ap-patriots-samuel&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Livinginthe past
07-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, there was some last minute talk of the two parties 'getting nearer' - but my guess this was a ploy on the behalf of the players agent to make it appear as if he was doing everything he could to make it work.

From what I understand, the Patriots lay out a number they are willing to pay for a player and refuse to budge from it - and while its painful in the short term I think it will benefit the Patriots, and other teams that wont be held to ransom (like the Steelers) over the long haul.

The Patriots , I believe, have threatened to franchise him again next year - lets see how much money he is willing to burn by sitting out.

ShutDown24
07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Lol - sorry to go off topic but, I saw this threads name and must have jumped a line somewhere in my reading with the prior topic because I swear I saw a title called "Peter King franchised by Patriots" LMAO

Livinginthe past
08-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm hoping that Asante comes to camp with his head screwed on straight, any realistic chance he had of scoring a long term deal have long gone, I think.

Play another big year (get the ring :wink02:) and then sign at an inflated rate elsewhere.

Then we can check back in with him in 3 years time and compare his general happiness to that of Ty Warren (who signed a very reasonable contract recently).

My guess is his career plays out like a substandard version of Ty Laws 'twilight years' (ie. they suck)

Cornerback Asante Samuel is expected to report to the Patriots sometime next week, in enough time to be ready for the regular-season opener against the New York Jets.

Samuel has been working out in Florida and is said to be in top-notch shape, which Patriots coach Bill Belichick will get to judge on his own soon enough.

Samuel apparently recognizes the importance of getting back on the field and not missing any regular-season game checks. By reporting at some point next week, he will have sent a message, eliminated the training-camp risk of injury and still gotten to camp in enough time to get in football shape.

Briggs settled his dispute on the eve of training camp and arrived a few days late. Johnson signed a five-year, $43.2 million extension this week. Samuel is not expected to get the long-term deal he wanted now, but is hoping one comes along sooner rather than later.

rbryan
08-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Sounds like Asante wanted to avoid TC. Time will tell if he's a one hit wonder, he probably figures if he's not going to get paid this year why put in the extra time. He isn't worth mentioning in the same sentance as LJ, didn't Ty Law have 10 pics year before last?

Livinginthe past
08-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Sounds like Asante wanted to avoid TC. Time will tell if he's a one hit wonder, he probably figures if he's not going to get paid this year why put in the extra time. He isn't worth mentioning in the same sentance as LJ, didn't Ty Law have 10 pics year before last?

I dount he is as talented as LJ, but CB's tend to be alot more durable (and therefore worth their salary in that context).

He was avoiding TC to avoid injury is my guess - he'll be starting game 1 as i see it.

I think Ty law had 10 picks for the Jets but he has taken to gambling to justify his pay check he is far from shut down.

I'd still take him back as a FS when he's done feeding his family, though.

Jets and Kansas are both capable of limping into the playoffs but neither is going to a SB anytime soon.

SteelFist
08-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok somebody please explain to me why Brady (The starting defense and offense) played in the 3rd quarter of this preseason game!!

Not smart at all!

Livinginthe past
08-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Ok somebody please explain to me why Brady (The starting defense and offense) played in the 3rd quarter of this preseason game!!

Not smart at all!

Thats what normally happens.

The team/coaches look at what happened in the 1st half and then they make changes going into the 2nd half - it will be the last opportunity to do so before the regular season.

SteelFist
08-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Thats what normally happens.

The team/coaches look at what happened in the 1st half and then they make changes going into the 2nd half - it will be the last opportunity to do so before the regular season.

The Steelers never do that. But your starters made it out alive so I guess it doesn't matter. Just seems a little risky.

Livinginthe past
08-24-2007, 10:51 PM
The Steelers never do that. But your starters made it out alive so I guess it doesn't matter. Just seems a little risky.

Yup. It appears that the Patriots and Steelers operate at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to certain things like that.

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 10:53 PM
The Steelers never do that. But your starters made it out alive so I guess it doesn't matter. Just seems a little risky.they need as much help as possible getting their 2nd year kicker into fg range so he can practice. he may be due for a sophmore slump, and even for a pre season game, you expect nothing as inconsistant as 1/3.

Livinginthe past
08-24-2007, 11:01 PM
they need as much help as possible getting their 2nd year kicker into fg range so he can practice. he may be due for a sophmore slump, and even for a pre season game, you expect nothing as inconsistant as 1/3.

Yep. That was probably the only downside to tonights performance - Gostkowski looks a little flat..not that you expect your kicker to be pumped I suppose.

I think Carolina will be worried about how easily the Patriots d-line on ST's punctured their line and blocked both FG's.

Overall, I thought we moved the ball with considerable ease - Carolina have a reasonably stout D.

Maroney got a nice work out and the refs managed to find the time to make a couple of bad calls.

SteelFist
08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
they need as much help as possible getting their 2nd year kicker into fg range so he can practice. he may be due for a sophmore slump, and even for a pre season game, you expect nothing as inconsistant as 1/3.

Yep.

Its interesing to see another team (Panthers) struggle with the FG protection.

tony hipchest
08-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Yep. That was probably the only downside to tonights performance - Gostkowski looks a little flat..not that you expect your kicker to be pumped I suppose.

I think Carolina will be worried about how easily the Patriots d-line on ST's punctured their line and blocked both FG's.

Overall, I thought we moved the ball with considerable ease - Carolina have a reasonably stout D.

Maroney got a nice work out and the refs managed to find the time to make a couple of bad calls.

pumped? i dont know. remember this ex patriot?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/Martin_Gramatica_Celebrates_small.jpg

if its any consolation, maybe the patriots were just using their "vanilla" kicks. :chuckle:

stout d? you must be thinking of their defense of 2 or 3 years ago. i had them in fantasy last year so i probably followed them closer than any other team besides the steelers. they suck. they have julius peppers, thats it.

i did see the ben watson td that was ruled incomplete. the nfl has actually changed the rules this season in regards to 2 feet down, a football move, moonwalk, ball behind the back, hop, step and slither, before it is ruled a completion.

i guess the refs havent got the memo yet. if a ball is caught, both feet are on the ground, and posessed for a second it is (or should be) a td regardless of what happens when the player hits the ground (cant cause a fumble) or when a defender touches a player.

having a different set of rules to establish possession w/in the endzone vs. w/out it is plain retarded. confuses the refs.

Livinginthe past
08-24-2007, 11:31 PM
pumped? i dont know. remember this ex patriot?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/Martin_Gramatica_Celebrates_small.jpg

if its any consolation, maybe the patriots were just using their "vanilla" kicks. :chuckle:

stout d? you must be thinking of their defense of 2 or 3 years ago. i had them in fantasy last year so i probably followed them closer than any other team besides the steelers. they suck. they have julius peppers, thats it.

i did see the ben watson td that was ruled incomplete. the nfl has actually changed the rules this season in regards to 2 feet down, a football move, moonwalk, ball behind the back, hop, step and slither, before it is ruled a completion.

i guess the refs havent got the memo yet. if a ball is caught, both feet are on the ground, and posessed for a second it is (or should be) a td regardless of what happens when the player hits the ground (cant cause a fumble) or when a defender touches a player.

having a different set of rules to establish possession w/in the endzone vs. w/out it is plain retarded. confuses the refs.

Gee. I don't recognise that guy at all...not since I last seen him on this forum...posted by you..anyway :toofunny:

I think you do the panthers a little disservice in terms of their D - Dan Morgan is a force when he is fit.

Jenkins and Rucker are both quality players and Jon Beason looks like money in the Lbers.

Their DB's dont look so hot, but then Brady had all day to pass alot of the time.

One of the worse calls was on Stallworth on the line - ref is looking right at the DB riding his shoulder pads all the way into the EZ (close enough to smell his underarm) and still calls nothing.

Then you get the bizarre PI call on the DB covering Caldwell and he wasn't even going for the ball.

I share your hatred of the 'football move'.

The Duke
08-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Now with Samuel the patriots are more than ready for a super bowl run. Of course, their dream will get smashed once they face the steelers in the playoffs

Livinginthe past
08-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Now with Samuel the patriots are more than ready for a super bowl run. Of course, their dream will get smashed once they face the steelers in the playoffs

Not again! :toofunny:

Sick of you freakin' Steeler derailing our SB seasons!

The Duke
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
So he did come back

Samuel will sign $7.79 million contract as franchise player

Franchise cornerback Asante Samuel, who has missed all of training camp and the first three preaeason games, reported to the New England Patriots on Monday and will sign the one-year tender worth $7.79 million.

The four-year veteran could practice with the team as early as Monday. He will attempt to reclaim his starting job, but likely will have to pass the strenuous conditioning test that is administered by coach Bill Belichick to all players before working out with his teammates.

The Providence Journal reported Monday that Samuel flew to the Boston area Sunday night after having spent most of the offseason in Florida.

It is not certain what Samuel accomplished with his absence from camp. Unless the Pats agreed to stipulate that they will not use the franchise marker on him again next spring, as the Chicago Bears did with franchise linebacker Lance Briggs, the cornerback will not have made a significant statement by staying away.

New England, it is believed, is opposed to forfeiting its right to use the franchise tag on Samuel again in 2008.

The emphasis for now will likely focus on getting Samuel ready for the start of the regular season. New England opens the year at the New York Jets on Sept. 9.

The NFL Network reported last Thursday evening that Samuel was expected to sign the one-year tender for a franchise-designated cornerback, set at $7.79 million, and to report to the Patriots sometime before the team's final preseason game. The consensus around the league has been that Samuel, who earned only minimum base salaries the first three years of his NFL career, would find it difficult to ignore a one-year deal for nearly $8 million.

Earlier in the spring, Samuel suggested he would hold out for the first 10 weeks of the year before reporting and earning an accrued season that might make him eligible for unrestricted free agency next spring if the Patriots opted not to use the franchise marker again.

Samuel, 26, is the last of the league's seven franchise players this year who has yet to come to a contract agreement.

Three of the players -- Indianapolis defensive end Dwight Freeney (six years, $72 million), New Orleans defensive end Charles Grant (seven years, $63 million) and Detroit defensive tackle Cory Redding (seven years, $49 million) -- signed long-term contracts. In addition to Briggs, Cincinnati defensive end Justin Smith ($8.64 million) and Seattle kicker Josh Brown ($2.078 million) signed their one-year tenders. Neither Brown nor Smith elicited from his team a stipulation precluding use of the franchise tag again in 2008.

A fourth-round pick in the 2003 draft, Samuel has appeared in 59 games and started in 39 of them, including 15 starts in each of the past two seasons. The former Central Florida star has 188 tackles, 16 interceptions, 43 passes defensed and three forced fumbles.

He emerged as one of the NFL's top cornerbacks in 2006 but still is not viewed in the same class as some of the highest-paid coverage defenders in the league.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2993035

Livinginthe past
08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Its good to have him back.

I'd bet pretty heavily that the Patriots didn't have to make any other guarantee's about the franchise marker for next year to get him in - it was the sheer weight of money he would be missing out on that did the trick.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up on the depth chart for week 1.

MasterOfPuppets
08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Its good to have him back.

I'd bet pretty heavily that the Patriots didn't have to make any other guarantee's about the franchise marker for next year to get him in - it was the sheer weight of money he would be missing out on that did the trick.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up on the depth chart for week 1.
no way in hell,would i work for a measily 7.79 million a year !!!....let alone play a game for 7.79 million:nono:...

Livinginthe past
08-28-2007, 02:01 AM
no way in hell,would i work for a measily 7.79 million a year !!!....let alone play a game for 7.79 million:nono:...

Look, I totally agree - me and you are clearly highly principled individuals.

Some of these football players are way too keen to make an easy $7million!!

Preacher
08-28-2007, 02:27 AM

A man must have his principles!