PDA

View Full Version : BIG Recievers

SteelermanBirth2Death
02-18-2007, 08:16 AM
What do yall think of Walter Young? At 6'4 he would make a big target. We could use someone to replace Plaxico.

sheba
02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
wat plaxico has been gone we won the superbowl with out him we do not need to replace him if we did we would have a long time ago

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
If Tomlin decided that a Big Reciever was a must...at #15 we could get Sidney Rice out of South Carolina...Height: 6-4 Weight: 202 lbs .. with 4.48 forty

siss
02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Ben likes big recivers. I say give him one!

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I feel the Steelers should always keep an eye out for a WR over 6'2-6'3. Just because we won a Super Bowl minus Plaxico doesn't mean we don't "need" or should not "want" a tall/deep threat WR.

As for Walter Young, I like his build but I'm not sure how confident the Steelers are in his abilities. He's been around for some time now and is not exactly climbing the ladder on the depth chart. I always thought Young looked good in camp/pre-season. He's a tall, stretch the field type of guy...but Washington passed him up on the depth chart. Even Washington had a tendancy of dropping passes (in the endzone nonetheless) last season.

IMO, either through FA or the draft this team needs to pick up a WR. I really don't have all that much confidence in Cedrick Wilson or Washington. In the beginning of this season I thought our WR core would have performed better. I was dead wrong. Minus Holmes I wasn't impressed.

ChronoCross
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Walter Young, Great hands but inconsistent in route running has kept him sideline the past 2 years and in NFLE. Young also showed great improvement last year in his route running then in the previous year in NFLE. Young also seen some time do to injuries to Ward on the active roaster this last season for a few games. Young did not play much but he did get in a 17 yard catch.

And why people keep talking about Plexidrop. You want to replace plex, I ask why, plex has terrible work ethics, never runs all his routes during games, none existent for us in the play offs. Tired of hearing plexidrops name. You wonder why the FO did not offer him a contract was because plexidrop was not worth anything but a headache in the locker room and never works out with the QB in the off season. Ask Eli were plex is when he wants to work out, he is in florida again working out alone, but in all he is club hoping not caring about the team but only caring about the dollar he gets paid. Plex was a bad draft pick.

Blitzburgh
02-18-2007, 10:19 AM
We do need at least one BIG WR in our portfolio of weapons .... If we don't go out and get a Drew Bennett ..... I wouldn't mind seeing us try for Jarrett in the draft.

Jarrett is a game changer. Not the fastest in the bunch, but definately uses his size and physical ability to make big plays.

SteelShooter
02-18-2007, 10:22 AM
I feel the Steelers should always keep an eye out for a WR over 6'2-6'3. Just because we won a Super Bowl minus Plaxico doesn't mean we don't "need" or should not "want" a tall/deep threat WR.

As for Walter Young, I like his build but I'm not sure how confident the Steelers are in his abilities. He's been around for some time now and is not exactly climbing the ladder on the depth chart. I always thought Young looked good in camp/pre-season. He's a tall, stretch the field type of guy...but Washington passed him up on the depth chart. Even Washington had a tendancy of dropping passes (in the endzone nonetheless) last season.

IMO, either through FA or the draft this team needs to pick up a WR. I really don't have all that much confidence in Cedrick Wilson or Washington. In the beginning of this season I thought our WR core would have performed better. I was dead wrong. Minus Holmes I wasn't impressed.

I agree with everything except the Nate Washington portion. The kid was on a learning curve. It's hard to get out of your head the fact that someone is about to nail you that, more than likely, outweighs you by 40 "+" pounds. He did well for a newbie to regular rough NFL play.

I also REALLY like LLT's comment: "If Tomlin decided that a Big Reciever was a must...at #15 we could get Sidney Rice out of South Carolina...Height: 6-4 Weight: 202 lbs .. with 4.48 forty" - the kid is FAST, TALL, and has serious potential.

Siss nailed it as well; Ben DOES like big receivers.....let's up the comfort factor for him as well.

polamalufan43
02-18-2007, 10:26 AM
The pros about Walter Young are that he has size, and ok ball control(dropping passes.) But what concerns me, is his lack of experience.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2007, 10:27 AM
The kid was on a learning curve. It's hard to get out of your head the fact that someone is about to nail you that, more than likely, outweighs you by 40 "+" pounds. He did well for a newbie to regular rough NFL play.

Hopefully he "learned" because I recall him dropping some easy balls. By no means am I completely giving up on Washington, but I would like to see somebody give the kid some legitimate competition and not just some "warm body" to throw in camp.

Here's to hoping Washington steps it up. :cheers:

ChronoCross
02-18-2007, 10:40 AM
The pros about Walter Young are that he has size, and ok ball control(dropping passes.) But what concerns me, is his lack of experience.

Young has plenty of experience. But the greatest concern in all is why after two years practice squad and two years NFLE(NFL Europe), why he has not made the starting roaster. If he cannot get the routes down then there would be blown routes and possible INTs and that is what has kept him sideline. He hardly drops the ball even in NFLE. I watch the kid a lot in NFLE. If he does not improve and get it down this year he will not be back next year, I would imagine. Young has some great hands so saying ball control and dropping passes is not a issue. Young to some should of started two years ago by the way he wowed the crowds at camp with his catches. Rout running is very important as a WR, if you blow a route you create a problem that can cause INTs.

polamalufan43
02-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Young has plenty of experience. But the greatest concern in all is why after two years practice squad and two years NFLE(NFL Europe), why he has not made the starting roaster. If he cannot get the routes down then there would be blown routes and possible INTs and that is what has kept him sideline. He hardly drops the ball even in NFLE. I watch the kid a lot in NFLE. If he does not improve and get it down this year he will not be back next year, I would imagine. Young has some great hands so saying ball control and dropping passes is not a issue. Young to some should of started two years ago by the way he wowed the crowds at camp with his catches. Rout running is very important as a WR, if you blow a route you create a problem that can cause INTs.

What I mean is he hasn't had that much playing time at all in the NFL. What has he played in the NFL, 1 game? He has only played on the Practice Squad and in NFLE...which sure, it is something, but I still feel unsure about him. But, I still think we can give him a chance.

ChronoCross
02-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Hopefully he "learned" because I recall him dropping some easy balls. By no means am I completely giving up on Washington, but I would like to see somebody give the kid some legitimate competition and not just some "warm body" to throw in camp.

If Washington could get down the easy catches he would be great. He makes some awsome hard catches but then drops the easiest of catch sometimes. I think he gets even better this upcoming season.

With Ward and Holmes being key targets anything else is a positive. And I hope they use Miller correctly and more of.

Holmes missed half of camp for school and it cut him back on the learning curv but the kid picked up good and started running better routes before the end of season so it will be good to see what Holmes can do after a full camp and working with Ben 1 on 1. Holmes played a lot better down the stretch after getting more time in to learn.

SteelShooter
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM

I hear that! ....and agree. ChronoCross made a good point also in that Santonio missed camp and had a LOT of learning to do in a very short time. His game picked up toward the end of the season. Hopefully he and Nate can up their game considerably with the experience/learning curve behind them.

.... .... ...but a tall target still wouldn't hurt either. :wink02:

ChronoCross
02-18-2007, 10:58 AM
What I mean is he hasn't had that much playing time at all in the NFL. What has he played in the NFL, 1 game? He has only played on the Practice Squad and in NFLE...which sure, it is something, but I still feel unsure about him. But, I still think we can give him a chance.

How could I put this right in away were it sounds decent. I really like the kid from day one. He is big, fast, and great hands. He makes the easy and tough catches. But then he scares me if he runs a wrong route. You know that most of the time the QB will release the ball to a spot on the field were the WR is suppost to be and there is the problem, he turned right instead of left, he went down field to far are to short, costing a INT in the process. I am a firm believer in good route running WRs. I hope this being his 3rd straight year that he picks it up and makes the roaster he would be a good addition and a big target for the end zone. Even tho I like the kid if he cannot get the routes down then he will be gone and I hate to see hands like that go to waste.

tony hipchest
02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
if we can take a flyer on and pick a gem like marques coulston in the 7th round, we do it. if he outpreforms, we kiss washington and young good bye regardless of any potential they havent lived up to.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
if we can take a flyer on and pick a gem like marques coulston in the 7th round, we do it. if he outpreforms, we kiss washington and young good bye regardless of any potential they havent lived up to.

Doesnt that say it all?

Stater136
02-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't disagree with the idea of drafting a big wr... in fact I'm very much in favor of it. The problem I have is with the suggestion that they grab someone in the early rounds. Setting aside the fact that the Steelers have bigger needs (LB, OL, and DB to name a few), there are two big reasons that I would wait until the second day before selecting a wr: 1) other than qb's and rb's, wr's are the biggest question mark in the draft (see Edwards, Troy :smile: ) and 2) the amount of money required to sign a first round pick would be better spent on someone other than the third wr.

SteelShooter
02-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree with everything you guys (and gals) are saying, but in the end I believe, IMHO, that the 1st round pick should be spent on a possible Power/3rd down Back....then work on Defense.

slashsteel
02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I am all for a big WR, not sure about getting one in 1. I think we have other more pressing needs. But between 3 and 7 why not. It could create matchup problems and that is always a plus.

SteelShooter
02-18-2007, 11:57 AM
I am all for a big WR, not sure about getting one in 1. I think we have other more pressing needs. But between 3 and 7 why not. It could create matchup problems and that is always a plus.

That's where I was going with this. Thanks for putting it in simple terms for me. :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2007, 12:33 PM
If you are looking for a tall fast reciever in the later rounds..then we could look at Jacoby Jones from Lane College Height: 6-4 Weight: 210 lbs. ..and ran a 4.44 forty.
...some people are comparing him to Colston from the Saints ...and he did well at the East-West Shrine Game..
Lane is a small school but he may be worth a late round pickup based on potential...was named SIAC offensive player of the year and league MVP after leading the conference in receiving yards, all-purpose yards, kick return and punt return average.

yinzer-inseattle
02-18-2007, 12:50 PM
If you are looking for a tall fast reciever in the later rounds..then we could look at Jacoby Jones from Lane College Height: 6-4 Weight: 210 lbs. ..and ran a 4.44 forty.
...some people are comparing him to Colston from the Saints ...and he did well at the East-West Shrine Game..
Lane is a small school but he may be worth a late round pickup based on potential...was named SIAC offensive player of the year and league MVP after leading the conference in receiving yards, all-purpose yards, kick return and punt return average.

I really like this take especially considering Jones will probably be there for the taking in rounds 4-7.

slashsteel
02-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Meachem might fit the bill in 2/3

Later there is also Aaron Fairooz out of Central Arkansas 6-6 215 and runs a 4.54 forty. (Free agent probably) or a Jordan Kent WR Oregon 6-4 210 4.49 ( 5th maybe) But nothing wrong with small school late Lambert. On day two I am open to reaches with talent.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Dont forget that Jeff Samardzija has announced he will pursue a Major League Baseball career...he was ranked as the #4 reciever in this draft...so instead of wasting a 6th or 7th round pick...it may be worth the gamble to draft him and retain his rights...like the Texans did to Drew Henson...(and hopefully pan out better than that pick did!!)

slashsteel
02-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I would be for given up a 7th to own Jeff's rights. But with our late round success at times, I think the FO might be reluctant to go for someone who won't be in camp helping us this upcoming year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I would be for given up a 7th to own Jeff's rights. But with our late round success at times, I think the FO might be reluctant to go for someone who won't be in camp helping us this upcoming year.

I agree..they probably won't..but SOMEONE will....I personally would take the gamble even though every time I watched him play I kept thinking ...Danny Farmer!!!

SteelCzar76
02-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Meachem might fit the bill in 2/3

Later there is also Aaron Fairooz out of Central Arkansas 6-6 215 and runs a 4.54 forty. (Free agent probably) or a Jordan Kent WR Oregon 6-4 210 4.49 ( 5th maybe) But nothing wrong with small school late Lambert. On day two I am open to reaches with talent.

I think we would be well served by selecting Jordan Kent on the second day. As i've said before,..... Wilson is a 'guest' and i'm not sold on Nate Washington.

tony hipchest
02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I would be for given up a 7th to own Jeff's rights. But with our late round success at times, I think the FO might be reluctant to go for someone who won't be in camp helping us this upcoming year.i like that idea. the way weve pissed away late round draft picks lately, this couldnt hurt. not that it would immediately help. does this count as a roster spot? if not go for it.

it does sound like jeff is gonna play out his baseball contract though.

slashsteel
02-18-2007, 05:41 PM
does this count as a roster spot?

I don't bellieve it counts against the 53. Some kind of reserve thing.

Dylan
02-18-2007, 09:13 PM
A big receiver would help us a lot in the passing game.

Serbia_Steeler
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
We already have a very good WR corps: Hines, Holmes, Nate there is also and Willie Reid who is very talented. We have our big target and his name is Heath Miller.

Crushzilla
03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I agree that Miller needs to be used more in this year's passing attack. I wouldn't mind picking up a receiver in the late rounds, but considering we used two first day picks on that position last year it would be stupid to use another on one this time around. Draft defense and offensive line early... see what's available later on. Maybe Jones, who does sound like a steal. I'm just upset I won't be back in the 'Burgh til after draft day...

DACEB
03-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I was just reading your post on A. Gonczales Crushzilla and I was thinking the same thing. Day 1 should consist of defensive players. I don't know if we have 3 or 4 picks day 1, but I figured 2 defense and 1 O-line (depending who's on the board). With the exception IMO if either T. Hunt or B. Leonard are available in the 3rd.

Unless the value is just too great to ignore we can get a big WR late in the draft or go with what we have including Miller in the 4 wide set.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Here is one that you may not have heard about....Illinois States Laurent Robinson...6'2 200 lbs...ran a 4.33 40....was hurt most of his senior year but was invited to the draft because of his speed and very good hands.

He caught EVERY ball thrown to him at the combine..including a bad pass behind him that he caught over his shoulder and a pass thrown into the dirt that he dived for and scooped up before it hit the ground.

Showdaddeee
03-01-2007, 08:08 PM
I like L. Robinson as well, he will be a Colbert type WR that New Orleans got last year. If we went after him we could use the 15th pick for our defense or offensive line. But if Jarrett is there at 15 it will be hard to pass him up.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I like L. Robinson as well, he will be a Colbert type WR that New Orleans got last year. If we went after him we could use the 15th pick for our defense or offensive line. But if Jarrett is there at 15 it will be hard to pass him up.

He may fly under the radar for alot of teams...being that he is from a smaller school and wasnt able to play his senior year.

....in a perfect world we could get him in the third or fourth round...but I can tell you from watching this kid play..(Illinios State is in the city I live in) that he has soft hands, outstanding speed, and a good work ethic.

HAZMAT
03-17-2007, 04:12 AM
I also REALLY like LLT's comment: "If Tomlin decided that a Big Reciever was a must...at #15 we could get Sidney Rice out of South Carolina...Height: 6-4 Weight: 202 lbs .. with 4.48 forty" - the kid is FAST, TALL, and has serious potential.....<<---He would be a great draft selection.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Here is a list of WR over 6'2:

1 Calvin Johnson Georgia Tech 6-5 239 4.35
2 Dwayne Bowe LSU 6-2 1/2 212 4.52
3 Dwayne Jarrett USC 6-4 219
4 Robert Meachem Tennessee 6-2 214 4.39
5 Sidney Rice South Carolina 6-3 1/2 200 4.45
6 Dallas Baker Florida 6-3 1/8 208 4.65
7 Jacoby Jones Lane 6-2 5/8 210 4.48
8 Joel Filani Texas Tech 6-2 1/8 211 4.52
9 Laurent Robinson Illinois State 6-2 199 4.38
10 Jarrett Hicks Texas Tech 6-2 7/8 210 4.65
11 Jordan Kent Oregon 6-4 1/8 221
12 Ryan Moore Miami FL 6-2 1/4 217 4.57
13 Matt Trannon Michigan State 6-6 216 4.57
14 Aaron Fairooz Central Arkansas 6-5 3/4 209 4.54
15 Legedu Naanee Boise State 6-2 1/4 225 4.41
16 Jerard Rabb Boise State 6-2 3/8 201 4.59

Suitanim
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
WR in the NFL comes down to one thing (and this is why it's so difficult to project success at the position): Ability to separate. In college there are thousands of DB's, and a good WR can find his way through them. In the NFL, there are only dozens of good DB's.

The single hardest thing to scout in a WR is that ability to separate from a good DB. That's why height and weight and even speed mean nothing. Colsten was considered too slow, but he uses his height and weight well. Steve Smith is WAY too small. Boldin was too slow AND small. Hines Ward wasn't even considered as a WR.

Finding a quality NFL WR is half luck and half art-form.

GBMelBlount
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
WR in the NFL comes down to one thing (and this is why it's so difficult to project success at the position): Ability to separate. In college there are thousands of DB's, and a good WR can find his way through them. In the NFL, there are only dozens of good DB's.

The single hardest thing to scout in a WR is that ability to separate from a good DB. That's why height and weight and even speed mean nothing. Colsten was considered too slow, but he uses his height and weight well. Steve Smith is WAY too small. Boldin was too slow AND small. Hines Ward wasn't even considered as a WR.

Finding a quality NFL WR is half luck and half art-form.

Wow, great post. I wouldn't say height and speed mean nothing, but there are other important intangibles & less quantifiable things that are critical to success in the nfl.

Suitanim
03-19-2007, 08:05 PM
You can't be short, slow and weigh 98 lbs, but you better have at least one attribute.

It's all about separation though...read through any reputable scouting source on WR's and they'll address it.

Zachygrahm
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Obviously Young does not quite have the ability to start just yet. By the way, when was the last time a team won the super bowl with a big receiver? maybe keyshawn on the bucs?