PDA

View Full Version : Taylor getting a jump on the off season

polamalufan43
02-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't know if this was posted yet..

http://news.steelers.com/article/74066/

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Football season doesn't officially start for almost seven more months, but cornerback Ike Taylor is preparing as if the opener were tomorrow.

Taylor began his off-season program at the start of February, working with Tom Shaw, a conditioning coach based out of Disney's Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Florida.

"I felt like coming off of last year as a team we didn't have a good season and this year I want to help my team out as much as possible," said Taylor. "I am not looking back. This is my fifth year and I know expectations are high for me. I have high expectations myself.

"I am just getting back into it. I took a good month off. That is something I never did in my whole life. Everyone was telling me I was training for so long without taking a break that it would be good for me to take a break and come back and give it all you've got. I always give it all I've got."

Taylor is working out several days a week, spending time on cardio and speed as well as drills that are designed specifically for his position.

"Whatever position you play you have a drill for it," said Taylor. "We do a couple of resistance drills. We do lot of metabolic stuff, a lot of cardio. You get two days of metabolic and cardio and two days of speed and conditioning. At the same time every day you are working on your position. The defensive backs are working on breaks and catching the ball. We are working with resistance. Coming out of your breaks you should have resistance."

Taylor will stay in Florida working out until about a week before the team comes back for voluntary workouts in Pittsburgh. He plans to get in a little early as he is looking forward to meeting new head coach Mike Tomlin.

"I am going to come and talk to the new coach," said Taylor. "I have talked to him a couple of times over the phone. He seems like a great guy. Coach Tomlin is young, he is hungry and I have heard great things about him from people he coached and people who know him."

And Taylor is hoping to come back to a fresh start. Last season was disappointing for him, seeing the team go from Super Bowl champs to missing the playoffs.

"It was hard," said Taylor. "Our expectations were higher than what we had coming off the Super Bowl year."

It wasn't just the team's struggles that made 2006 hard for Taylor; it was the tough time he went through on the field personally. Taylor was benched during the season for five games because of his disappointing play, replaced in the lineup by Bryant McFadden.

"It was hard; it was real hard on me," said Taylor. "I didn't like it. Me being a professional and coming off the year I had in 2005, it was so hard on me. I was so hard on myself. I didn't want to do anything. I didn't want to talk to anybody. I just couldn't wait to get back on the field.

"It's all about playing football. I wanted to be on the field with the guys. That's what I really missed, not being on the field with the guys play in and play out. I got back in the last game and enjoyed it."

And Taylor is thinking about that time now, keeping it in his mind so he doesn't have a repeat of it in the future.

"I can't let that ever happen again, ever," said Taylor. "I feel like at this point in time going into my fifth year everything has happened to me. I want to try to help the team out and get us back to the Super Bowl. That's all I can do, 100% help the team out.

"I have always been driven. That's the way I always have been. I know how I am going to respond."

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Steeldude
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
now if only roethlisberger would join in.

polamalufan43
02-19-2007, 01:52 PM

With time, he probably will. Of course, he should be fine this year, unless we have another year like last, then I would hope he does.

ChronoCross
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
double topic in forums..

SteelCityMan786
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Ike's taking all the steps towards getting better. He had a down year. It will be good that he's preventing himself from having that kind of year now.

Preacher
02-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Nope. Ben needs to put himself on a couch for couple of months. go golfing. relax.

I just hope he is watching tape right now.

Then, beginning of March or so... maybe beginning of April.

Edman
02-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Ben's been through heck and back last offseason, as well as a rough season getting beat up and stuff. I want him to improve on his skills, but he seriously needs rest. He hasn't been truly healthy in months.

Infamix
02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
To the person who said that Rothlisberger needs to get back in...I had a dream last night and our new center botched the snap near our own endzone and we got saftied. Rothlisberger cursed the center and walked away. Hopefully our season does not start like that.

polamalufan43
02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
To the person who said that Rothlisberger needs to get back in...I had a dream last night and our new center botched the snap near our own endzone and we got saftied. Rothlisberger cursed the center and walked away. Hopefully our season does not start like that.

ITS JUST A DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!! If it isn't...then some may be mad for hearing about it, lol.