PDA

View Full Version : chargers and norv turner reach agreement

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
according to len pasquarelli. good move for them, and a move that is gonna hurt the great young offensive potential of the 49ers. they loved norv.

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
:sadpace:

memphissteelergirl
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM

I take it you ain't too happy about this...

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-19-2007, 01:26 PM

54 wins 82 losses....thats ugly!!

As an O-Coordinator he is Pavarotti......but as a Head Coach he is William Hung.

yinzer-inseattle
02-19-2007, 01:52 PM

As an O-Coordinator he is Pavarotti......but as a Head Coach he is William Hung.

LMAO

Good one. I wonder how many of those 82 losses can be attributed to having a hemroid of an owner while with the Redskins?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
LMAO

Good one. I wonder how many of those 82 losses can be attributed to having a hemroid of an owner while with the Redskins?

....and two with the Raiders!!!...who knows..under the right ownership....???

floodcitygirl
02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
bump

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
bump

........?

floodcitygirl
02-19-2007, 02:09 PM
........?Sorry. Just trying to get the spam off of the front page.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry. Just trying to get the spam off of the front page.

LOL...oops ...you hit the wrong thread!!!!:sofunny: :sofunny:..sounds like somethign I would do!!

floodcitygirl
02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Well....I bumped this one to get the sales stuff from the other one off the front page. I thought that any thread was better than that, but if you don't like this one then feel free to bump a different one. (Don't worry...I won't tell Tony that you trashed his thread.) :hunch: :smile:

polamalufan43
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM

She bangs...she bangs
He lost... he lost..

Well....I bumped this one to get the sales stuff from the other one off the front page. I thought that any thread was better than that, but if you don't like this one then feel free to bump a different one. (Don't worry...I won't tell Tony that you trashed his thread.) :hunch: :smile:

HAHAHAHAHA :sofunny:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Preacher
02-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow.

Norv Turner... Head coach. Well, maybe the third time is a charm.

silver & black
02-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Uh, good luck with that. Believe me, I know how you feel. I was dumbfounded when we hired him, and miserable for the two years he was with us.

I don't understand how this guy keeps getting HC jobs. He is a terrific OC, but thats as far as it goes. With the team you have, you will probably be fine......for a while, but I don't see it continuing.

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Well if you want to run a lab experiment on whether it is the HC or the players that win championships, bringing in Norv with his record to coach what used to be a SB favorite certainly fits the bill.

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Still regard the Chargers hiring and firing decisions as proof of the existence of a higher power?:smile:

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Uh, good luck with that. Believe me, I know how you feel. I was dumbfounded when we hired him, and miserable for the two years he was with us.

I don't understand how this guy keeps getting HC jobs. He is a terrific OC, but thats as far as it goes. With the team you have, you will probably be fine......for a while, but I don't see it continuing.

I know you (and pretty much all Raider fans) hated, but was there anything positive about him? What were the main negatives?

If Aj Smith hadn't made so many good decisions in the past, I would be so pissed right now. As with all his decisions, i'm shocked. Hopefully this will turn out like the others.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Man, I don't know about Turner. He flopped as a HC for the Redskins and the Raiders. This Chargers team is the most talented team that Turner has ever had but still his track record of a HC sucks to say the least.

This could be Norv Turner's last chance to prove he is HC material.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-19-2007, 07:15 PM

You are so correct. Turner was a great OC for the Cowboys during their run in the early 90's. Then again with that talent on offense the Cowboys had it does make your job easy. But you have to give Turner some credit. Plus he has done well as OC for other teams. He was good in helping that young talent in San Francisco.

As for him being a HC like you said William Hung.:toofunny:

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I know you (and pretty much all Raider fans) hated, but was there anything positive about him? What were the main negatives?

If Aj Smith hadn't made so many good decisions in the past, I would be so pissed right now. As with all his decisions, i'm shocked. Hopefully this will turn out like the others.i wouldnt hit the panic button too soon. as long as a lunar module doesnt try to land on his face, the chargers should be fine.

he did good with tomlinson in 2001, but that was as an o-coord. he has made all backs hes coached excellent as an o-coord, and anyone can get production out of ladainian.

to me, the bigger ??? seems to be t. cottrell as the d-coord, but even he was a possible HC candidate in the nfl several years ago. he has a history with smith too.

Hines0wnz
02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
The NFL must be the only professional organization (other than the other pro sports ones of course) where you can have a stinker of a resume and still get hired as a leader of the team. Maybe I should put my hat in the ring the next time. :flap:

silver & black
02-19-2007, 07:32 PM

I didn't really hate him, as much as I didn't understand him. I never understood why he abandoned the run so early in every game. I never understood his seemingly indifference, and lack of fire on the sidelines. His PC's were painfull to watch. And then, we got Art... and I wished we still had Norv. Norv didn't command any respect from the players, and it showed. Norv is too nice of a guy.

To be fair to Norv, we all knew that the Raiders were going to use Al's vaunted, Verticle offense, since we had Collins' arm and Randy Moss. Too bad there wasn't
(and still isn't) any O line to support the verticle offense. I seriously doubt that Norv was allowed to implement his own offense. Jimmy Raye was OC then, and he sucked.

You may be just fine with Norv, I don't know. You are using his offense right now, aren't you? He has a much better situation with the Chargers than he had with the Raiders. He has established talent that knows how, and is used to winning.... who knows, he may take you to the SB next year.

I really do hope Norv finds some success with the Chargers... he's a good guy... but not too much success! :sofunny:

Good luck. :cheers:

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 07:42 PM
I didn't really hate him, as much as I didn't understand him. I never understood why he abandoned the run so early in every game. I never understood his seemingly indifference, and lack of fire on the sidelines. His PC's were painfull to watch. And then, we got Art... and I wished we still had Norv. Norv didn't command any respect from the players, and it showed. Norv is too nice of a guy.

To be fair to Norv, we all knew that the Raiders were going to use Al's vaunted, Verticle offense, since we had Collins' arm and Randy Moss. Too bad there wasn't
(and still isn't) any O line to support the verticle offense. I seriously doubt that Norv was allowed to implement his own offense. Jimmy Raye was OC then, and he sucked.

You may be just fine with Norv, I don't know. You are using his offense right now, aren't you? He has a much better situation with the Chargers than he had with the Raiders. He has established talent that knows how, and is used to winning.... who knows, he may take you to the SB next year.

I really do hope Norv finds some success with the Chargers... he's a good guy... but not too much success! :sofunny:

Good luck. :cheers:

Wow, thanks for all the info. A lot better than most responses I got from Raider fans. Most were along the lines of "LOL U SCREWED". :sofunny:

polamalufan43
02-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info. A lot better than most responses I got from Raider fans. Most were along the lines of "LOL U SCREWED". :sofunny:

You could have expected that from them Bolt...

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 07:50 PM
You could have expected that from them Bolt...

Mostly from Tha Rock. :toofunny:

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info. A lot better than most responses I got from Raider fans. Most were along the lines of "LOL U SCREWED". :sofunny::sofunny:

not to laugh too much but i thought s&b's breakdown was a good one. like n. turner said in a post hiring interview, this team he is taking over is quite different than the redskins or raider teams he took over. redskins and raiders were both in the bottom in offense and defense when he became coach. this chargers team is near the top in both categories. despite his past failures, just look at the 49ers reaction to losing him to see if you are getting a quality coach. like i said, norv isnt too far removed with a job with the chargers and id have to say he was able to make chicken salad out of chicken shit back then.

silver & black
02-19-2007, 07:57 PM

Don't get me wrong, I really don't think much of him as a HC. I'm just trying to be fair with my evaluation because of the situation in Oakland while he was there.

I don't think he has the leadership qualities to be a HC. His track record with the Redskins was no better than with the Raiders... and the Redskins was a better situation.

I think he could have done a lot better with the Raiders if he posessed some leadership qualities, and had any semblance of a backbone. He does better when he only has to concentrate on one aspect of the team, and not all of it.

Time will tell how he fairs in San Diego.

Preacher
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Seems to me that as long as he allows the D to play the way they can play... and he focuses on the O...

you will be fine. You may need the FO to help out a bit more in the management side of the league issues (trades, FA, etc.).

But who knows? It isn't like he is coaching in Philly or Oakland... Maybe the more laid back area will help him.

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
The NFL must be the only professional organization (other than the other pro sports ones of course) where you can have a stinker of a resume and still get hired as a leader of the team. Maybe I should put my hat in the ring the next time. :flap:

No kidding. The Rooneys bailed out the NFL by hiring Tomlin - otherwise the HC hires have been a whole lot of white guys and recycling of failed retreads.

Steelers - Tomlin

Dolphins - white guy coordinator who was not lights out success as college coach at Indiana and (although maybe it was Marty) was involved in a horribly offensive game plan in a playoff loss to the Pats

Raiders - white guy child-coach

Cowboys - white guy retread

Chargers - white guy retread

Cards - white guy who was passed over by own team for HC job (I like Whiz but something turned the Rooneys off on him)

Falcons - white guy/college coach-lying creep (I know those two terms are redundant)

So much for diversity

silver & black
02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
No kidding. The Rooneys bailed out the NFL by hiring Tomlin - otherwise the HC hires have been a whole lot of white guys and recycling of failed retreads.

Steelers - Tomlin

Dolphins - white guy coordinator who was not lights out success as college coach at Indiana and (although maybe it was Marty) was involved in a horribly offensive game plan in a playoff loss to the Pats

Cards - white guy who was passed over by own team for HC job (I like Whiz but something turned the Rooneys off on him)

Falcons - white guy/college coach-lying creep (I know those two terms are redundant)

So much for diversity

How is the Raiders' "white guy child-coach" a retread?

How did the Rooneys bail out the NFL by hiring Tomlin, and in what way did the NFL need bailing out?

Whats with all the "white guy" delineation?

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Steelers - Tomlin

So much for diversity:chuckle:

geez, when you put it that way it almost sounds like al davis bailing out the nfl last year with the re-circulation of art shell. hmmmmm. good thing tomlin is a much better selection though.

Falcons - white guy/college coach-lying creep (I know those two terms are redundant):toofunny: can anyone say "nick saban"????

SteelShooter
02-19-2007, 08:39 PM
:thmbdown: Well, the FO in SD is once again proving that they DO NOT desire a SB ring.................IMHO, of course. :thmbdown:

But then again, they also have someone who is used to not being allowed to have full control...................................

NV STEELERS 723
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
For the Bolts its really gonna be put on Rivers shoulders....LT can't do it all again this year....I think Rivers will struggle...he had a great 1st full year playing, but as the season neared the end he was tired...and it showed in his numbers....

I think the Bolts should have gave Singletary a chance.

SteelShooter
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM

If Aj Smith hadn't made so many good decisions in the past, I would be so pissed right now. As with all his decisions, i'm shocked. Hopefully this will turn out like the others.

Bro,

My sympathies go out to all the Bolts Fans. After living in San Diego (Imperial Beach) for so long, I actually rooted for them (when they posed no threat to my beloved Steelers, of course :smile: ).

You have an incredible amount of talent there. I sure hate to see it go down the drain like this.

Others may have hope, but I personally see nothing good coming from this. :nono:

.................................................. .............................................sorry . :hunch:

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Steelers - Tomlin

So much for diversity

Why should a team hire a black coach just to "keep diversity"? That's racisism in itself. They were picked because they fit the selected teams, not just because they weren't black.

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
For the Bolts its really gonna be put on Rivers shoulders....LT can't do it all again this year....I think Rivers will struggle...he had a great 1st full year playing, but as the season neared the end he was tired...and it showed in his numbers....

I think the Bolts should have gave Singletary a chance.

I seem to remember a first year starting QB who got tired near the end of the year recently. What happened to him the next year? hmm

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 08:57 PM
How is the Raiders' "white guy child-coach" a retread?

How did the Rooneys bail out the NFL by hiring Tomlin, and in what way did the NFL need bailing out?

Whats with all the "white guy" delineation?

My post said a whole lot of "white guys and recycling of failed retreads" - you can be one without the other. If I said "white guy retreads" I would agree with you.

To elaborate on my post. The Rooney Rule was intended (through a policy of mandatory interviews that I have questioned in the past) to break the cycle of failed HCs getting hired for a second or third go round while the Tony Dungys and Romeo Crennels of the world could not get serious consideration.

Other than the fact you might want to vote for him as prom king it is hard to imagine what Kiffin had going for him. It may be, as I have posted, no sane coach will work for Al Davis but someone with as thin a resume as Kiffin, together with failed HCs like Turner and Phillips, getting HC jobs while a minority candidate like Rivera not only does not get a HC job but then gets canned as coordinator does not reflect well on any perception of the NFL being the land of equal opportunity.

Given the assortment of hiring decisions made, if the Steelers would have taken Grimm over Tomlin (a totally legitimate option), the aggregate impression created by a series of discrete hiring decisions would be (at least) a PR problem for the league. So my point is hiring Tomlin avoided that problem.

boLT fan
02-19-2007, 08:59 PM
My post said a whole lot of "white guys and recycling of failed retreads" - you can be one without the other. If I said "white guy retreads" I would agree with you.

To elaborate on my post. The Rooney Rule was intended (through a policy of mandatory interviews that I have questioned in the past) to break the cycle of failed HCs getting hired for a second or third go round while the Tony Dungys and Romeo Crennels of the world could not get serious consideration.

Other than the fact you might want to vote for him as prom king it is hard to imagine what Kiffin had going for him. It may be, as I have posted, no sane coach will work for Al Davis but someone with as thin a resume as Kiffin, together with failed HCs like Turner and Phillips, getting HC jobs while a minority candidate like Rivera not only does not get a HC job but then gets canned as coordinator does not reflect well on any perception of the NFL being the land of equal opportunity.

Given the assortment of hiring decisions made, if the Steelers would have taken Grimm over Tomlin (a totally legitimate option), the aggregate impression created by a series of discrete hiring decisions would be (at least) a PR problem for the league. So my point is hiring Tomlin avoided that problem.

What your saying is still more racist than just the fact that coaches got hired because GM/Owners liked them more. Most people would rather have a coach with experience rather than a rookie. It has NOTHING to do with race, so try jumping off your high horse for a little bit and looking at it for what it really is.

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
What your saying is still more racist than just the fact that coaches got hired because GM/Owners liked them more. Most people would rather have a coach with experience rather than a rookie. It has NOTHING to do with race, so try jumping off your high horse for a little bit and looking at it for what it really is.lol. no way, was what atl dan posted, 'more racist' than anything. :dang:

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I seem to remember a first year starting QB who got tired near the end of the year recently. What happened to him the next year? hmmhe had his whole coaching staff ripped away from him????

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
What your saying is still more racist than just the fact that coaches got hired because GM/Owners liked them more. Most people would rather have a coach with experience rather than a rookie. It has NOTHING to do with race, so try jumping off your high horse for a little bit and looking at it for what it really is.

Thank you for calling me a racist.

I will reiterate my point since I apparently am not being clear about it. The league (not me) believed it had a problem with under representation of minority coaches. That is why the Rooney Rule was implemented. If you would have taken the trouble to recall or read my prior posts on this board, you would know I am no fan of the Rooney Rule.

If eight coaching vacancies had opened up and no minority candidates would have been hired for any of those eight vacancies the league would have a PR problem, given that it has proclaimed itself so concerned about hiring more minority coaches. Whether it should be a PR problem does not mean one would not exist because you and I agree hiring should not be based on race and that an owner should get to interview and hire whomever he wants. Since the league requires interviews on the basis of race, not height, hair color, or alma mater, the league, not me, has put the race of HC choices into play.

To the extent you think this is a criticism of the Chargers hire, any criticism I have of Norv Turner getting another ride on the HC merry go round has nothing to do with race. If Marty would have been fired the day after the Pats loss Norv would not be the Chargers HC, but AJ created this situation and Norv is what Chargers fans get - good luck.

NV STEELERS 723
02-19-2007, 09:25 PM
I seem to remember a first year starting QB who got tired near the end of the year recently. What happened to him the next year? hmm

Hi Bolt fan thats true...but you guys didn't have BC,Jerome Bettis, and our Defense in the playoffs.....you guys have a championship team....whoever coaches..., but I just think most will depend on Rivers...

Hopefully we'll see a STEELERS - SD AFC Championship Game in 07 ....:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

NV STEELERS 723
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Thank you for calling me a racist.

I will reiterate my point since I apparently am not being clear about it. The league (not me) believed it had a problem with under representation of minority coaches. That is why the Rooney Rule was implemented. If you would have taken the trouble to recall or read my prior posts on this board, you would know I am no fan of the Rooney Rule.

If eight coaching vacancies had opened up and no minority candidates would have been hired for any of those eight vacancies the league would have a PR problem, given that it has proclaimed itself so concerned about hiring more minority coaches. Whether it should be a PR problem does not mean one would not exist because you and I agree hiring should not be based on race and that an owner should get to interview and hire whomever he wants. Since the league requires interviews on the basis of race, not height, hair color, or alma mater, the league, not me, has put the race of HC choices into play.

To the extent you think this is a criticism of the Chargers hire, any criticism I have of Norv Turner getting another ride on the HC merry go round has nothing to do with race. If Marty would have been fired the day after the Pats loss Norv would not be the Chargers HC, but AJ created this situation and Norv is what Chargers fans get - good luck.

Your not a Racist. Don't worry about it Dan.

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Your not a Racist. Don't worry about it Dan.

Thanks

Stainless Steel
02-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I feel sorry for all the Charger fans. They put their heart into the team, only to be disappointed year in and year out. They had a plan that was successful, but now the team's coaching has been gutted. This does not add up to another play-off year next year. If I am wrong, so be it... but I see them as bottom feeders again.

silver & black
02-20-2007, 06:35 AM
I feel sorry for all the Charger fans. They put their heart into the team, only to be disappointed year in and year out. They had a plan that was successful, but now the team's coaching has been gutted. This does not add up to another play-off year next year. If I am wrong, so be it... but I see them as bottom feeders again.

While I certainly can understand their angst, I do not feel sorry for them.

They will get to experience what its like to have a sub-par coach that is nothing more than a puppet.

This scenario going down in San Diego is srtangely familiar to Raider fans. We are constantly berated over Al Davis and his controlling ways... A.J. Smith is the Chargers' Al Davis.

He doesn't care about the coaching position... how many years did he go without even speaking to Marty? He controls the draft... he made the decision to get rid of Drew Brees... now he gets rid of a coach that took them to a 14-2 season. It isn't Marty's fault that the players choked in the play offs, but Smith couldn't put aside his differences with Marty. Had Marty been retained, the Chargers stood a very good chance of winning it all next year.

Turner will be nothing more than A.J. Smith's puppet. Smith is the coach of the Chargers... just like Al is accused of in Oakland. This should be fun to watch.

vasteeler
02-21-2007, 01:47 PM
fire marty hire norv:dang: :dang:

Big D
02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
In norvs defense. Look who he had as his qbs when he was with the redskins. Heath shuler and gus freotte. And I dont think you can even bother mentioning oakland. It's hard to be a head coach when you arent even calling the shots.

fansince'76
02-21-2007, 05:33 PM
In norvs defense. Look who he had as his qbs when he was with the redskins. Heath shuler and gus freotte.

Not to mention the dotcom billionaire geek owner of the Redskins who seems to fancy himself as a GM (Hint: He ain't), and thinks he knows more about coaching an NFL team than his coaches do (Another hint: He doesn't). This is BY FAR the best situation Turner has ever walked into. If he screws this up, he should go back to being an OC permanently.

Stillers#1
02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Eh, I think Norv will be fine......

BlacknGold76
02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Personally I would have rather Mike Singletary or Ron Rivera have had an opportunity to be the HC in San Diego than Norv Turner. What was San Diego thinking? :jawdrop: :banging:

ChronoCross
02-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Way to go SD, you guys just threw your team to the dogs and in a few years you will be feeding for scraps with the Raiders. Well actually who will get to the bottom first, Herm with KC are Norv with SD.