PDA

View Full Version : ron rivera to steelers as asst. HC???

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 04:08 PM
this is just a speculation because the bears have essentially shown him the door. wouldnt it be quite a coup to land both tomlin AND rivera, or would it just be a distraction to lebeau and the job he has to do?

rivera would help the transition to a tampa 2.

polamalufan43
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM
this is just a speculation because the bears have essentially shown him the door. wouldnt it be quite a coup to land both tomlin AND rivera, or would it just be a distraction to lebeau and the job he has to do?

rivera would help the transition to a tampa 2.

I'm not so sure. But if he was being considered has the HC, the Rooney's must have seen something good in him.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I guess it is possible. But after this season I imagine somebody will hire him as a HC.

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
right now i cant even see what team he may fit in as a coordinator, unless some team out there make a suprise late firing (steelers- lebeau?)

i cant see rivera taking a demotion or being out of work for a year helping his search for a HC position but i coulsd see him as an understudy to lebeau, as a possible replacement if lebeau plans to hand it up soon. if the steelers defense succeeds next year and he is on board it could help accelerate his climb up the ladder.

ChronoCross
02-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Short term deal. I doubt it would be a good deal to bring him in for 1 year before he runs off HC hunting again. I think his mindset is for a HC job only, and that is why the Bears would not even bring him back because they knew he would be going after another HC position next year.

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Short term deal. I doubt it would be a good deal to bring him in for 1 year before he runs off HC hunting again. I think his mindset is for a HC job only, and that is why the Bears would not even bring him back because they knew he would be going after another HC position next year.it doesnt make sense why the bears wouldnt want to keep him, or why he wouldnt want to stay, even if it was for just another year. this would be like the steelers dumping grim and whiz after their SB run just because they knew they had eyes towards a promotion.

HometownGal
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Nah - as much as I respect the guy, his heart seems to be set on a HC position and as Chrono stated above, he'd probably be out hunting for a HC position or a team would make him an offer he couldn't refuse. Wherever he ends up, I wish him well.

Preacher
02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I would take him for a one or two year transition.

To have 3 top d minds working together to put together the ugliest D scheme knowing to the NFL.. yeah, I would take that. Make him sign a two year deal. Tell him to stay for the two years to help through the transition, and then the Rooneys will put all thier weight behind him getting a head coaching job in the NFL.

Yeah, as if that wouldn't work.

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
1st off, i think the cardinals made a hell of a coup landing both whiz and grimm, and we know grimm will have his eye towards a HC position in the future too. that still didnt deter the cardinals from making a move that should immediately help their team better in the transition to a new HC.

2nd the steelers saved a ton of $$$ not retaining cowher. rivera can take almost any job and it will be a pay raise considering the bears HC was only making 1.35 mil/ year last year. looking at how the bears special teams performed last year, wouldnt you rather see rivera overseeing the special teams rather than that dude from the rams?

Preacher
02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
1st off, i think the cardinals made a hell of a coup landing both whiz and grimm, and we know grimm will have his eye towards a HC position in the future too. that still didnt deter the cardinals from making a move that should immediately help their team better in the transition to a new HC.

2nd the steelers saved a ton of $$$ not retaining cowher. rivera can take almost any job and it will be a pay raise considering the bears HC was only making 1.35 mil/ year last year. looking at how the bears special teams performed last year, wouldnt you rather see rivera overseeing the special teams rather than that dude from the rams?

No. I would rather see him as an Assitant coach at large. Let him roam around the entire Defense and give input wherever he sees it. Let hima nd Lebeau have nice long walks envisioning all that can be done with Polamalu and A. Smith. Let him work with the recievers from a D. point of view. Hey Holmes, if you do this... I would have my CB do this against you. What would you do then?

I would MUCH rather see him in that kind of position.

However, you know how the Pitt. press would deal with it. if we come out with 3 or 4 losses in the first 7 games, they will be calling for Tomlin's head and putting Riveria as HC. Come to think of it, that may be why neither of our coaches were kept.

yinzer-inseattle
02-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Things that make you go hmmmmmm! My bet is on LeBeau retiring in 2-3 years.

Agree with others that Rivera is targeting a HC position. Question is could we keep him interested in an assistant HC position until Lebeau reitres? Sounds like a hard fit... I'm not sure why he would not leave for something bigger in a year. Then the team is back to square one minus LeBeau and Rivera. I think it might be better for us to groom a rising star (position coordinator) as LeBeau's successor.

On Rivera, I was really surprise that he did not land the Dallas or San Diego HC jobs. As he has not, maybe there is the opinion that he needs a year or two more in the DC/AHC before moving up. If that's the case, then it might work with him as the Steelers AHC. If only for a year or two.

ChronoCross
02-19-2007, 05:28 PM
There is times you bring in a coach for a year and then he runs off but I believe in this time of the big over haul we need coaches for a few years. Look at what were getting ready to go thru in 2008-2009, we will be building the new face of the defense that will be for us to watch for the next 5 to 10 years with minimal changes. This is a very big time for us and having coaches there for the next 3 to 4 years is a key. I doubt we even get Rivera but hey if he would come in for a few years it would be good. I do not like the one year deal right now. I do not think his mindset would be there come playoff time. Rivera will be looking at who gets fired and working on his resume and getting telephone numbers and in contact with them teams. I had enough time watching none Coaching this last season to last me for awhile.

I know what your saying tony about grim and whiz but the Steelers FO and Bears FO are totally two different deals, and Cardinals change coaches so much there use to coaches coming and going. If Rivera was a coach with are Staff for a few years Ronny's would of brought him back even tho he did not get a HC job, Bears on the other hand get rid of Coaches. And so do the Cards.

Preacher
02-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Actually Chrono...

that is why i would want him as a AHC. Because he doesn't directly affect the players... he would be able to backcheck everything. But when he leaves, there would be no reason to replace him. I just think that would be a good thing.

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......... I am a team president now!!!! WooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooo

ChronoCross
02-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually Chrono...

that is why i would want him as a AHC. Because he doesn't directly affect the players... he would be able to backcheck everything. But when he leaves, there would be no reason to replace him. I just think that would be a good thing.

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.......... I am a team president now!!!! WooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooo

Could be good. I think I am looking at the longer term myself. And what is coming up and guessing I would like more out of the new coaches and staff we bring in. I think with what were bringing in we can get #6 before the other 2. It could be a positive affect are could be a negative affect for a 1 year deal. But I have faith, and whatever the Roony's and Tomlin do I support 100%.

Preacher
02-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Could be good. I think I am looking at the longer term myself. And what is coming up and guessing I would like more out of the new coaches and staff we bring in. I think with what were bringing in we can get #6 before the other 2. It could be a positive affect are could be a negative affect for a 1 year deal. But I have faith, and whatever the Roony's and Tomlin do I support 100%.

With the history the Rooneys have... I absolutely agree.

Atlanta Dan
02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune, Rivera's contract expired and he did not do a new deal.

"It's just a fit that we have," said Bears head coach Lovie Smith. "Right now the direction I would like to go and the direction that we would like to go are not the same."...

It's been my goal all along to do everything I could to help Ron get a head coaching opportunity," Smith said. "I don't see it as a firing or any like that. His contract expired. He wanted to go in a different direction."

Neither Smith nor Rivera would say what that difference was, but both insisted it wasn't personal and Rivera repeated that he had nothing but fond memories of all three of his tenures in Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-070219rivera,1,7098811.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

Sounds like Rivera assumed since this past fall (before injuries caused the performance of the Bears D to fall off) that he would get a HC job and either asked too much in a contract extension with the Bears or did not even try seriously to negotiate an extension. Also sounds like Lovie Smith may have wanted an assistant rather than an independent contractor as defensive coordinator as Lovie's own contract situation remains unresolved.

Steelers have enough transition issues with Tomlin and LeBeau working through their potentially different defensive philosophies. Bringing in Rivera as he pines away to be a HC, especially given Lovie Smith's opaque comments, does not seem to be worth the potential hassles

noto45
02-19-2007, 07:17 PM
lets be realistic here. the steelers are not going to hire Rivera. that would be something that would go outside the norm. like sigining a big name free agent its just not gonna happen.

rags1336
02-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Ok it would be nice but IF and only IF he is not over Dick Lebeau. It would be nice to have him here for a year or two and add a few wrinkles to the defensive playbook and help out with gameplanning. His title would be assistant head coach but it would have to be made clear that he can never override Lebeau, I don't want Lebeau having someone else's hands all up in his defense and having Lebeau quit over it. Our defense would be sick though with the three headed monster of Lebeau, Tomlin, and Rivera gameplanning. I think this is unlikely though because some team could fire their DC to hire Rivera now that he is no longer in the running for a HC position, but it could work out though that no other team would want to fire their DC because Rivera would be gone in a year anyways. In return Rivera would not be out of coaching this year and he would have the oprotunity to learn how to coach offense too. This would definatly help out Tomlin in his first year to have an assistant and our defense could benefit from it for years.

SteelShooter
02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
I would take him for a one or two year transition.

To have 3 top d minds working together to put together the ugliest D scheme knowing to the NFL.. yeah, I would take that. Make him sign a two year deal. Tell him to stay for the two years to help through the transition, and then the Rooneys will put all thier weight behind him getting a head coaching job in the NFL.

Yeah, as if that wouldn't work.

Preach,

I am completely in agreement here. That would be an absolute wonderful story.....unfortunately, I doubt it will happen.

But one can hope! :tt02:

Dylan
02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing him come here

paw-n-maul-u
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Nope ... i would rather see devin hester returning kicks and punts than that dude from the steelers
:wink02:

MJ5150
02-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Rivera is now the LB coach in San Diego. Check it out on ESPN.com. It's front page news.

-Mike

tony hipchest
02-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Rivera is now the LB coach in San Diego. Check it out on ESPN.com. It's front page news.

-Mikethanks for the update. id much rather see rivera in charge of the steelers ST than the chargers LB but i guess you cant "win" them all.

Stainless Steel
02-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks fo rthe info. I had a feeling he'd be in SD. There aren't many spots open. SD is the team that has teh most openings.

Preacher
02-20-2007, 01:37 AM

-Mike

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhhhhhhhh kay... That actually makes sense now. He wants to get experience with a 3-4 defense as well as 4-3. It may make him a much stronger HC in the future.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Assistant head coaches are normally groomed to be a HC in the NFL and are expected to leave.So hiring him as AHC for a year or two is not a turnover problem,because he'll be expected to be offered a HC job soon.

Having LeBeau,Tomlin,and Rivera all on the same coaching staff could make our defense unstoppable.Three top defensive minds all working together to confuse and kill offenses.

I also like the idea of him being jsut a general AHC and working with both sides of the ball.If you get a WR thinking like a DB it could be a nightmare for the DB's.If you get the o-line thinking like d-linemen and linebackers,it'll be hell for them to get off blocks when you're anticipating thier thoughts.

I think the draft will mostly be defensive players,which might mean we'll be getting guys for a transition to the 4-3 or who could play in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 kind of like what the Patriots do (btw,I like the hybrid defense idea better,with the 3-4 being our base defense).

So I am all for it,except for when we would eventually have to face Rivera's team in the future,because he'll know he planted the seeds of the Mike Tomlin Era in Pittsburgh.

ChronoCross
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Assistant head coaches are normally groomed to be a HC in the NFL and are expected to leave.So hiring him as AHC for a year or two is not a turnover problem,because he'll be expected to be offered a HC job soon.

Having LeBeau,Tomlin,and Rivera all on the same coaching staff could make our defense unstoppable.Three top defensive minds all working together to confuse and kill offenses.

I also like the idea of him being jsut a general AHC and working with both sides of the ball.If you get a WR thinking like a DB it could be a nightmare for the DB's.If you get the o-line thinking like d-linemen and linebackers,it'll be hell for them to get off blocks when you're anticipating thier thoughts.

I think the draft will mostly be defensive players,which might mean we'll be getting guys for a transition to the 4-3 or who could play in a hybrid 3-4/4-3 kind of like what the Patriots do (btw,I like the hybrid defense idea better,with the 3-4 being our base defense).

So I am all for it,except for when we would eventually have to face Rivera's team in the future,because he'll know he planted the seeds of the Mike Tomlin Era in Pittsburgh.

You should of read back in the thread. Rivera is at SD now.