PDA

View Full Version : 5 Years Ago Today

floodcitygirl
02-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I want to share with my friends and fellow posters here that 5 years ago today, my Daddy passed. He had a stroke on Valentine's Day and never recovered. He was one of the best men I have, and I think ever will, know. Not perfect by any means. As a matter of fact, he was pretty tough on me....but loved me like a rock. I was his baby and I always knew it.

My five siblings and I flew to the hospital, in Florida where he lived. He wasn't able to speak and no one was certain how much he was able to comprehend. When I walked into the room his eyes brightened, he smiled and grabbed my hand. Shortly after, he fell asleep and never really woke up.

In the following days until he passed, we took turns spending time with him. I took the overnights and although no one was sure he could hear, I talked with him, prayed with him and read to him. (And played his favorite.....polka music...lol)

I'm not telling you this so that you share in the melancholy of my day. I share it in hopes that it will encourage you to take a moment today to appreciate those that you hold near and dear. If you are fortunate enough to still have your parents or a parent in your life, give them a hug and let them know how much you love them and appreciate the sacrifices that they made for you. You'll never regret it.

I heard this song today and it reminded me of those nights in the hospital and also of the hope that I have. Here's the chorus:

I raise my hands, bow my head
I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red
They tell me that there's more to life than just what i can see

I can't quote the book
The chapter or the verse
You can't tell me it all ends
In a slow ride in a hearse
You know I'm more and more convinced
The longer that i live
Yeah, this can't be
No, this can't be
No, this can't be all there is

(Chorus)
When I raise my hands, bow my head
I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red
They tell me that there's more to life than just what i can see
I believe
Oh, I
I believe
I believe
I believe
I believe
I believe
:smile:

Preacher
02-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Sad to hear about your dad.

Great song however, and I hope you find joy in our hope of the future.

polamalufan43
02-20-2007, 03:12 PM
One of my all-time favorite songs, and it is sad to hear about your dad. But at least you know he isn't suffering down here anymore.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

ARKIESTEEL
02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Sorry:hug:

iloveben7
02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I'm kinda going through the same thing know with my cousin's little 2 week old baby. I only saw her for 5 minutes one day and I'll treasure that for the rest of my life!!

floodcitygirl
02-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I hope you'll put my suggestion to use today. :smile:

HometownGal
02-20-2007, 06:24 PM
I know exactly how you feel, FCG. My Dad, who was a terrific father as well as my best friend, will be gone 5 years on March 5th. It still hurts as much as if he died yesterday. I miss everything about him, but especially those warm hugs he gave me and that hearty laugh! Though I'm always going to miss him, I try to focus on all of the great times we shared and rejoice in knowing that he isn't suffering anymore and is with our Lord in a very happy and serene place.

Your beloved Dad will always live on in your heart and a happy day it will be when you meet him in heaven, and see his eyes sparkling again as he takes your hand to walk with him into eternity.

I agree with your message here. Life is so short and the clock is ticking for each of us. Never allow a day to go by without giving those you love and who love you a hug in appreciation for the privilege of having them in your life. :cheers:

SteelShooter
02-20-2007, 06:34 PM
You are so full of love FCG...........it brightens my day when I read your words.

Thank You for these words today, this advice, and mostly for your friendship over the past year.

SteelCityMan786
02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
That stinks to hear that. My Dad who was a great man, sadly died when I was four.

Stlrs4Life
02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Sorry to hear that fcg. I lost my father in '94 on Groundhog Day. And know what you mean cause now I appreciate having my mom here even more now.

floodcitygirl
02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Thank you HTG, Steel Shooter, SCM,WoodsonsGirl and Stlrs and everyone who has posted, for all of your caring words. It has meant alot to me.

Dom, I'm so glad that you have your Mom to share that relationship with. My Mom passed when I was fairly young so when my Dad died, I felt like an orphan even though I was an adult. I'm so thankful for my 5 siblings. I know I'd feel lost if I didn't have that connection on this planet. I try to show them how much I appreciate them every chance I get. :smile:

SteelCityMan786
02-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Anytime FCG.

fansince'76
02-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, FCG. I lost my mother unexpectedly in December of '89 due to surgery complications myself. As a result, over the years that have passed since, my relationship with my father (which was great to begin with) has only gotten better. My father is in his '60s now, and I've given alot of thought to being "orphaned" as well - I'm not looking forward to it. God bless.

floodcitygirl
02-20-2007, 08:48 PM
You are so full of love FCG...........it brightens my day when I read your words.

Thank You for these words today, this advice, and mostly for your friendship over the past year.Right back at ya, buddy. It's easy to be nice to nice people. :hug:

SteelShooter
02-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Right back at ya, buddy. It's easy to be nice to nice people. :hug:

Aw Shucks! :blush:

Stop it now, you're making me blush............................................. ..........

stillers4me
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Hugs/Huggs.gif

steelerbackr4life
02-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Ty for sharing FCG. I think that it is great that we have this site that so many of us feel comfortable sharing things with each other.Reading your post and those of so many others has given me the courage to share with you the loss my wife and I sustained 18 years ago.

On Valentines Day my wife went into labor with our first child. During delivery the baby turned and strangled to death on the embylical cord. We werent alone (we both come from big Italian families) but inevitably the both of us were the only ones who understood how each other felt and we used the loss to make us strronger as a couple.

Five years went by before she became pregnant again and every single day we prayed that the same thing wouldnt happen again. Having now being diagnosed as a high risk pregnancy we had an appointment for delivery and my wife gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Then 15 months later we were blessed with the birth of another healthy baby girl.

There is not a day that goes by that we dont take time to appreciate how truly lucky we are to have our girls and we both believe that somehow our loss has made us not only better towards each other but better parents to our children.

Stainless Steel
02-20-2007, 10:35 PM
FCG,

I had lost my father when I was 20 years old. I am now 50, older than my dad was when he died. I know much of what you are going through first hand. I had to deal with it with the help of God. It is part of what made me what I am today. I pray it will help to shape your life into His image also.

floodcitygirl
02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Fansince, Stillers, and Stainless, thankyou for your kind words, cyber hugs and sharing. It's very much appreciated. :smile:

floodcitygirl
02-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Ty for sharing FCG. I think that it is great that we have this site that so many of us feel comfortable sharing things with each other.Reading your post and those of so many others has given me the courage to share with you the loss my wife and I sustained 18 years ago.

On Valentines Day my wife went into labor with our first child. During delivery the baby turned and strangled to death on the embylical cord. We werent alone (we both come from big Italian families) but inevitably the both of us were the only ones who understood how each other felt and we used the loss to make us strronger as a couple.

Five years went by before she became pregnant again and every single day we prayed that the same thing wouldnt happen again. Having now being diagnosed as a high risk pregnancy we had an appointment for delivery and my wife gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Then 15 months later we were blessed with the birth of another healthy baby girl.

There is not a day that goes by that we dont take time to appreciate how truly lucky we are to have our girls and we both believe that somehow our loss has made us not only better towards each other but better parents to our children.Steeerbacker, thank you so much for your response. I agree with you about this site. I know that it's mainly a Steeler site but it really is wonderful to find caring and compassionate friends that you can feel comfortable sharing some of life with and hopefully make positive contributions.

I'm so sorry to hear about your heartbreaking loss. I do have some understanding of your experiences. I know what you mean about your two beautiful daughters as well. I'm so thankful for my boys. It seems that those that struggle to get their kids on the planet do have a special appreciation for the privilege of being a parent.

Thanks for sharing this. It's always good to concentrate on what you have to be thankful for. :smile:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I have heard that if you could give everyone one wish..the greatest would be for the opportunity to fall asleep ..and have your father pick you up...carry you to bed in his strong arms ...and tuck you in ...one final time.

floodcitygirl
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
You are a very strong woman, FCG.
Thank you for some really great advice!Thank you. :thumbsup: