PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will not be looking at Rhodes

rags1336
02-20-2007, 11:07 AM
If the Steelers had any intention on acquiring the services of the Colts' Dominic Rhodes that interest should have ended today when he was arrested for drunk driving. Steelers have historically avoided players with character issues and ones that have gotten in trouble with the law. I don't know if it was possible for the Steelers to acquire Rhodes since he will probably go at a premium price being that he was on a team that just won the Super Bowl, but his name has been out there as a possible change of pace/3rd down back for the Steelers. Tomlin himself said that he would be acquiring a second running back for those situations and mentioned all the teams in the final four had two good running backs--Indianapolis with Rhodes and Addai, New England with Dillon and Moroney, Chicago with Jones and Benson, and New Orleans with McAllister and Bush.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/IND/10009680

atrus20
02-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Guess we should have dropped Holmes then right?

rags1336
02-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Holmes had his trouble after we drafted him, not while he was in college, and hasn't had any trouble since because he knows what the Steelers expect of him.

SteelerFanInCA
02-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm sure the bungles would glady take him. :dang:

Preacher
02-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I still hope we will get Michael Bush in the second round of the draft. Might as well get someone fresh. However, I do hope he is over his injury bug.

Stillers#1
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't exactly call this a chracter issue, people makes mistakes, Rhodes made one.

SteelShooter
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't exactly call this a chracter issue, people makes mistakes, Rhodes made one.

One???? :jawdrop:

Stillers#1,

This is an exceprt from the article ( http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/IND/10009680 )

"Rhodes has been in trouble with the law before. Following a 2002 domestic disturbance at his home, Rhodes pleaded innocent in Marion Superior Court to misdemeanor charges of battery and domestic battery. Latrina Moore, who lived with Rhodes at the time and is the mother of a child with Rhodes, said Rhodes hit her and shoved her to the floor after she confronted him about other women calling their home, prosecutors said at the time.

Under an agreement with prosecutors in that case, Rhodes was charged with domestic battery but avoided prosecution. Instead, Rhodes was placed in a diversionary program and underwent mental health counseling. "

Battery/Domestic Violence, mental health counseling, and now DUI?

Not sure about you, but I am seeing the beginning of a trend for this individual. Sure, I would love to see what he could do for us, but the history is something I could do without on our team.

Preach said it right, "let's go for Michael Bush" and avoid bad Bengal-oid controversy.

Stillers#1
02-20-2007, 12:45 PM
ok I'm wrong....

SteelShooter
02-20-2007, 12:47 PM
ok I'm wrong....

It's all good. We all miss a part of an article here and there.

No sweat. :thumbsup:

wv2kybohntr
02-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm sure the bungles would glady take him. :dang:

Rhodes would have to work on his rap sheet quite a bit. Putting him on the Bengals would be like putting a petty thief on death row.
Any truth that the Bengals are changing to black and white horizontal stripes on their uniforms?

jjpro11
02-20-2007, 09:08 PM
i didnt really think we needed him anyhow. hes just a upgraded version of verron haynes as far as im concerned.

fansince'76
02-20-2007, 09:24 PM
i didnt really think we needed him anyhow. hes just a upgraded version of verron haynes as far as im concerned.

Agreed - kinda like TJ Duckett, or whoever the "big back flavor of the week" happens to be this week. The Bus is gone, he's not coming back, and there isn't a "big back" in the league right now who could have carried his jock. Rhodes would cost too much anyway.

SteelShooter
02-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Rhodes would have to work on his rap sheet quite a bit. Putting him on the Bengals would be like putting a petty thief on death row.
Any truth that the Bengals are changing to black and white horizontal stripes on their uniforms?

:sofunny: :sofunny: Oh Bro..............You're killing me with this one! :sofunny: :sofunny:

Livinginthe past
02-21-2007, 01:34 AM
Funnily enough, I think the odds of Rhodes, while still small, would have increased after this incident.

Before this incident, Rhodes was way too expensive to consider - now its possible he will have to lower his price.

I still think its hugely unlikely that Rhodes would come to Pittsburgh anyway.

NM

kebz
02-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I don't think we could afford him anyways

HometownGal
02-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Agreed - kinda like TJ Duckett, or whoever the "big back flavor of the week" happens to be this week. The Bus is gone, he's not coming back, and there isn't a "big back" in the league right now who could have carried his jock. Rhodes would cost too much anyway.

I agree. I think I, too, would rather see the Steelers go after Bush rather than take a chance on a problem child.

ChronoCross
02-22-2007, 09:22 AM
We live and die by the Draft.. Bring on the long draft days.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Bush may be available in the second....and Tony Hunt will probably be there in the third....They can keep Rhodes.

Livinginthe past
02-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Bush may be available in the second....and Tony Hunt will probably be there in the third....They can keep Rhodes.

I think their may well be a 'run' on running backs in this years draft.

All the talk of teams looking for the 'second back' means their draft value may well be quite high.

As far as I am concerned your '2nd back' is going to come from one of three places.

1. The draft - cheap over a number of years

2. Existing RB on the roster at the tail end of his career - see Bettis, Dillon

3. Vet RB who isn't believed to be good enough for a starters position.

Even though the two back system has been highly touted - the guy who takes the second role is often already on the existing roster - Dillon, Rhodes, Thomas Jones and its the No.1 guy who appears on the scene at a later date.

It would be tough for a good RB to come into the Pittsburgh situation with any great motivation - it would almost be a Turner/LT type scenario in San Diego - it is likely that Willie P. will be a permanent fixture in the Pittsbugh backfield for many years to come.

Bush and Hunt would likely be playing to be trade bait in 4/5 years time.

NM

NickersonsBadThings
02-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Screw Rhodes. The guy is trouble and we don't need that. My guess is that we go after a guy who will cost less like LaBrandon Toefield.