PDA

View Full Version : Should the NFL allow Ricky Williams back in?

Elvis
02-21-2007, 11:03 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
This is a ? that I just dont know about, I mean the guy has had
alot of chances and he just keeps blowing them. I dont really
know what my answer is going to be right now but I'm sure everyone else has oppinions and will let them be known.
Have fun
:helmet:

fansince'76
02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
The bigger question here is if there is a team out there dumb enough to take a chance on him. He'll be 30 in May, and he got his leg broken playing in the CFL this past season. Add to that the baggage. Any GM willing to give this guy a chance at this point deserves to be fired if he flops (or just plain flips out) again.

ChronoCross
02-21-2007, 11:36 PM
And this has what to do with the Steelers.

tony hipchest
02-21-2007, 11:48 PM
do the bengals still field a 53 man roster?

then the answer is "yes".

Stillers#1
02-21-2007, 11:51 PM
No tony, I think the answer is, who cares?

ChronoCross
02-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Tony I thought it was 44. The other 9 are still in jail.

Borski
02-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Sure, all I heard is he did weed, (not that thats a good thing) people have done worse stuff than that. I think you should only be kicked out of the NFL for steroids or a major crime

Preacher
02-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Sure, all I heard is he did weed, (not that thats a good thing) people have done worse stuff than that. I think you should only be kicked out of the NFL for steroids or a major crime

Sorry.. I think he oughta be gone.

tony hipchest
02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
Sorry.. I think he oughta be gone.only if its by personal choice or employer choice... but not by a league decision.

Infamix
02-22-2007, 07:33 AM
This all wouldn't have happened if marijuana was legal....

legalize

kebz
02-22-2007, 07:57 AM
yeah who cares what he has done. his job is playing football. If anything, others should be concerned that that we use athletes as idols. i have not met many intelligent athletes in my day.

Fullback&Punter
02-22-2007, 08:08 AM
If he can play at an NFL level than let him play. I am more turned off by his quitter attitude than his smoking weed. I thought he was playing another year for Toronto. I thought I read that somewhere

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2007, 08:18 AM

I was wondering the same.

HometownGal
02-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I say most definitely not. He's had several chances to clean up his act and failed to do so. While I have no problem with him smoking weed (hell I did it in college!) in the OFF-SEASON, his me first attitude and the way he shart on the Dolphs leads me to believe he would be more of a liability to any team than an asset.

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2007, 09:10 AM
yeah who cares what he has done. his job is playing football. If anything, others should be concerned that that we use athletes as idols. i have not met many intelligent athletes in my day.

I respect your opinion but if reefer was legal, then that's fine by me. Williams would be permitted to smoke all the weed in world. I wouldn't care. But it's not. Whether you want to see reefer legalized or not has nothing to do with this situation, it's not legal. Plain and simple in my book.

Why should athletes be held any less accountable than your typical working man? We fail drug tests (no matter the drug) and we get FIRED or we don't get the job at all. End of story. This guy has failed how many tests? Four? Why should Ricky Williams be any different? Because he plays football? Please.

It doesn't come down to if he's "intelligent" or not. It doesn't come down to people considering athletes as "idols". It comes down to Ricky Williams failing drug test after drug test.

Just my opinion.

fansince'76
02-22-2007, 10:02 AM
For me, it isn't even his smoking weed that would keep me away from him as a personnel man for an NFL team - it's the fact that he completely quit on the Dolphins after they built their team around him (something they still haven't recovered from, IMO). On top of that, the only reason he "wanted" to come back to the NFL was the $8 million dollar breach of contract judgment made against him by an arbitrator. The guy's a flake, and a completely unreliable one at that.

Livinginthe past
02-22-2007, 10:40 AM
As a running back Ricky Williams is the prototype '2nd back' that NFL teams are rumored to be desperate for.

He'll be cheap, will be content to play 2nd fiddle for the coming season and most probably still has enough gas left to be a useful contributor.

As for the 'weed' issue - even though it is outlawed I dont view it with the same contempt as I do those you use substances that are helpful to an atheletes career - Shawn Merriman for example, who I consider to be a cheat.

Someone like Williams would be ideal for the Steelers current situation (if they could theoretically get a guarantee that there would be no marijuana issues during the season), but I agree that PR issues would probably ensure this never happen.

NM

Big D
02-22-2007, 10:45 AM
As a running back Ricky Williams is the prototype '2nd back' that NFL teams are rumored to be desperate for.

He'll be cheap, will be content to play 2nd fiddle for the coming season and most probably still has enough gas left to be a useful contributor.

As for the 'weed' issue - even though it is outlawed I dont view it with the same contempt as I do those you use substances that are helpful to an atheletes career - Shawn Merriman for example, who I consider to be a cheat.

Someone like Williams would be ideal for the Steelers current situation (if they could theoretically get a guarantee that there would be no marijuana issues during the season), but I agree that PR issues would probably ensure this never happen.

NM

no way would the steelers take on a guy with such charactor issues. Rember the swift kick to the curb that they gave to another pot head. Bam morris. I actual agree with you on the merriman comment. I would rather have a pot smoker on my team then a steroid shooting barry bonds on my team. I say give the guy one last chance. Remeber all it wasn't pot that failed him the last drug test.

Livinginthe past
02-22-2007, 10:49 AM
no way would the steelers take on a guy with such charactor issues. Rember the swift kick to the curb that they gave to another pot head. Bam morris. I actual agree with you on the merriman comment. I would rather have a pot smoker on my team then a steroid shooting barry bonds on my team. I say give the guy one last chance. Remeber all it wasn't pot that failed him the last drug test.

Sure, I agree that the Steelers have much higher character standards than alot of teams as regards players.

Cowher was a good front man for the team - you have feel that he and the owners were seeing eye to eye on this issue.

No one knows where Tomlin stands on this issue, though you would have thought (especially with all the attention the Bengals have been getting) that would have been one of the key interview questions.

NM

Big D
02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Sure, I agree that the Steelers have much higher character standards than alot of teams as regards players.

Cowher was a good front man for the team - you have feel that he and the owners were seeing eye to eye on this issue.

No one knows where Tomlin stands on this issue, though you would have thought (especially with all the attention the Bengals have been getting) that would have been one of the key interview questions.

NM

Well, I've heard and read from various media outlets that Tomlin is a mini tony dungy. Upside of dominic rhodes and maybe warren sapp have you seen a guy with charactor issues under dungy?

Livinginthe past
02-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Well, I've heard and read from various media outlets that Tomlin is a mini tony dungy. Upside of dominic rhodes and maybe warren sapp have you seen a guy with charactor issues under dungy?

Its funny you should mention that - Dallas Clark got thrown out of a girls basketball game just recently.

But in general, Dungy is big on character as far as I can tell - I could contend that Manning, Edge, Harrison have their 'selfishness' isues but they certainly aren't lilely to commit criminal acts.

NM

Big D
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Its funny you should mention that - Dallas Clark got thrown out of a girls basketball game just recently.

But in general, Dungy is big on character as far as I can tell - I could contend that Manning, Edge, Harrison have their 'selfishness' isues but they certainly aren't lilely to commit criminal acts.

NM

Oh yeah I forgot about dallas clark issue at the girls basketball game. Pretty funny to get that pissed over a high school girls basketball game.

slyfox13
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
The bigger question here is if there is a team out there dumb enough to take a chance on him. He'll be 30 in May, and he got his leg broken playing in the CFL this past season. Add to that the baggage. Any GM willing to give this guy a chance at this point deserves to be fired if he flops (or just plain flips out) again.it was his left wrist he broke and a trade aint necessary he just needs to go home to miami and run the way he does. The eventual trade will happen if thats what he wants but i dont think that he does.:cheers:

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I could contend that Manning, Edge, Harrison have their 'selfishness' isues but they certainly aren't lilely to commit criminal acts.

NM i have to contend that the colts 3 you speak of are no more selfish than any of the patriots big names, (seymore, branch, brady, vinatieri, law, dillon) who have all shown signs of selfishness. all teams have players who cash a check on monday. cant hold that against them.

Manning's move to help the front office should go a long way in making that happen. The Colts, with extra cap room, will be better able to ink Freeney to a long-term deal and still sign some of their other impending free agents. It was the type of move Tom Brady (among others) has gotten positive press for in recent seasons, and Manning should be lauded just as much, if not more. He has done more statistically to this point in his career than any quarterback in NFL history, and deserves to be paid as such. That he's willing to restructure his contract shows just how much of a team player he is.

Livinginthe past
02-23-2007, 12:34 PM
i have to contend that the colts 3 you speak of are no more selfish than any of the patriots big names, (seymore, branch, brady, vinatieri, law, dillon) who have all shown signs of selfishness. all teams have players who cash a check on monday. cant hold that against them.

I can't say I can recall Seymour, Branch or Brady pouting on the sideline and refusing to communicate with the rest of the team.

Thats the deal with Harrison and Manning - they have to use someone as a go between - that is a type of selfishness detrimental to the team.

Brady gets mad if his teams standards (including his own) drop and he's been known to give teammates a hard time - Branch was the consumate team player on the field which is what he was paid to do.

Sure he was slightly mercenary in his dealings with the Patriots, but I think its fair to say the Patriots dont suffer from getting over emotional when it comes to re-signing vets, either.

Law, Dillon, and AV were awesome on the field, always gave 100% when it mattered - again wage negotiations are something altogether different.

Oh, and that Manning restructure simply means the same amount of money is paid in a different way - I really can't see how that signals anything other than basic common sense - Manning isn't sacracficing a single thing.

NM

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 01:11 PM
so pouting on the sidelines is more selfish than holding out and refusing to practice with your team during camp?

"refusing to communicate with the rest of the team"??? yeah, that happens all the time :rolleyes:

anyways brady hasnt sacrificed much either.

who is this appointed "go- between" that is frequently used, and what % would you say manning, edge, and harrison gave on the field "when it mattered"?

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey Chris Henry is still allowed to play in the NFL so Ricky Williams should be allowed also.

Livinginthe past
02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
so pouting on the sidelines is more selfish than holding out and refusing to practice with your team during camp?

"refusing to communicate with the rest of the team"??? yeah, that happens all the time :rolleyes:

anyways brady hasnt sacrificed much either.

who is this appointed "go- between" that is frequently used, and what % would you say manning, edge, and harrison gave on the field "when it mattered"?

I look at hold outs as a business decision - didn't that paragon of virtue Hines Ward do exactly the same?

Jim Sorgi is the official go-between for Manning and Harrison - I read about it on a Colts board around the time we were due to play them in the AFCCG.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/9964302

During games, Harrison sits by himself between offensive series, on the opposite end of the bench from his teammates. Many times, he sits with his arms folded, his legs extended, looking totally disinterested. If a Chad Johnson or a Terrell Owens did that, they'd be ripped. But Harrison gets a pass.

Manning and Wayne and other offensive teammates sit on the opposite side of the bench from Harrison, going through pictures and talking strategy as Harrison stays away. It looks bad, but Harrison said there is a method to it.

"During the game, Peyton and I may talk on the field, but off the field we don't talk as much as we have in the past," Harrison said. " Jim Sorgi kind of plays the middle man. I always ask Sorgi what defense they are playing or what I can do to get open on another route. We sort of use the backup quarterback as a role to communicate between us."

That doesn't even sound right. But it works.

Harrison is noted for 'pouting' on the field and the sideline when he doesn't receive enough passes - there was a game (I think late regular season) where he argued with the coaches and then left for the lockerroom early at half time - before play had even stopped.

I think there is a difference between being 'showy' a l? Chad Johnson and acting self absorbed as Harrison does - he is not a outgoing kinda guy - that doesn't mean he is some type of ultimate team player.

If Brady's deal was indeed the same as Mannings i'd agree 100% that it wasn't such a big deal.

Oh and my take on Manning is that he tries to give 110% on the field - always has - in fact his trying to do too much too often cost his team dearly in the postseason - numerous games against New England and the Pittsburgh game where, instead of making it a shorter kick for Vanderjact he went for the bomb - he missed and Indy went out.

This year there were elements of him doing too much - until the decision was taken to give the RB's alot more ball - he started every postseason game poorly - New England was the only one where he hit a hot streak.

NM

Elvis
02-23-2007, 04:26 PM
SORRY I ASKED A QUESTION THAT YOU HAD TO ANSWER...
Oh.... you didn't have to answer it !!
My Bad!!

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 05:41 PM
I look at hold outs as a business decision - didn't that paragon of virtue Hines Ward do exactly the same?

Jim Sorgi is the official go-between for Manning and Harrison - I read about it on a Colts board around the time we were due to play them in the AFCCG.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/9964302

Harrison is noted for 'pouting' on the field and the sideline when he doesn't receive enough passes - there was a game (I think late regular season) where he argued with the coaches and then left for the lockerroom early at half time - before play had even stopped.

I think there is a difference between being 'showy' a l? Chad Johnson and acting self absorbed as Harrison does - he is not a outgoing kinda guy - that doesn't mean he is some type of ultimate team player.

If Brady's deal was indeed the same as Mannings i'd agree 100% that it wasn't such a big deal.

Oh and my take on Manning is that he tries to give 110% on the field - always has - in fact his trying to do too much too often cost his team dearly in the postseason - numerous games against New England and the Pittsburgh game where, instead of making it a shorter kick for Vanderjact he went for the bomb - he missed and Indy went out.

This year there were elements of him doing too much - until the decision was taken to give the RB's alot more ball - he started every postseason game poorly - New England was the only one where he hit a hot streak.

NMwow... this post is all over the place. lets try and cut through the fluff.

so when the patriot players do something that is individualy selfish and detrimental to the team it is an unselfish "business decision"?

yet when some people perceive and have an oponion that marvin is "pouting", that makes him, MANNING, AND E. JAMES selfish?????

that is absurd and laughable. this is from the article you provided which shows nothing of selfishness on marvins part:

Shy or aloof? Arrogant or misunderstood? Bad teammate or just a private one?
"Talking doesn't get you anything in my profession," Harrison said. "There's no need to talk." Shy or aloof? Arrogant or misunderstood? Bad teammate or a private one?

Harrison is fourth on the all-time receptions list with 1,022 catches. He is 72 catches behind Tim Brown and 79 behind Cris Carter, which should move him into second place on the all-time list behind Jerry Rice. If Harrison plays five or six years, which is still possible, he could pass Rice's record that once seemed unbreakable.
In public, his teammates say all the right things about Harrison. They understand his private ways, and respect him for it. But few, if any, of his teammates are close to Harrison. Not Manning. Not Reggie Wayne, the team's other great receiver. Nobody knows who his friends are on the team.

One Colts practice-squad receiver said Harrison helps him a lot. But asked how well he knows him, the player looked shocked at the question.
"They're 20 yards from each other, so I act as the guy that communicates for them," Sorgi said. "It's just something that worked out that way."

Manning and Harrison are the more prolific quarterback-receiver duo in league history. Rice had both Joe Montana and Steve Young. Manning and Harrison are forever linked.

nothing suggesting harrison is "selfish". but i guess since he sits alone and some people who post on a message board think he is pouting, then that throws out the hundereds of hours marvin and manning have used their OWN time, off the clock, during off-season, practice, and pre-game, to run routes and the passing tree to achieve perfection and become the most prolific duo in history.

manning is on pace to surpass marino, and marvin could pass j. rice, yet their conduct is detrimental to the team??? :sofunny: they work so hard together no sideline communication is even needed. actually, i would say its for jim sorgis benefit to play middleman because it keeps HIS head in the game. with the miniscule odds of him ever getting any gametime it would be very easy for him to wander off and become uninterested. if manning were ever hurt atleast jims little side job would have him knowing whats going on.

ok, so we squashed any ideas that marvin is selfish, should we move on to edge and manning?

is it james "business decisions" to move on that make him "selfish"?

is it manning giving "110% on [and off] the field", and his paycheck that he recently cut that make him so "selfish"?

thats certainly what you implied.

atleast these silly, baseless snipes arent directed at the steelers as much, but that they are directed towards the colts doesnt give them any more validity.

BTW calling manning, harrison, and james selfish in a thread about re-instating rickey williams into the league is really off base.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Harrison isn't selfish in the fact that he wants the ball all the time,all top recievers want the ball all the time.

Edge was selfish by going to Arizona?So Dillon wasn't being selfish by whining his way out of Cincinatti?

Brady restructures his contract and he's a saint...Manning does the same thing and he's selfish?

And on the subject of the post...no,Williams should be banned for life,he's already been given too many chances.

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 06:52 PM

NM

:confused: really?

ive read/heard about 3 interviews where he states he is looking for high quality, high character, blue collar players.

everyone whos read several articles with his opinion on this issue, knows he wont be attending marvin lewis's school of draft picks.

touching on this topic specifically, he stated that all steelers players will have to represent the rooneys and the organization in the right way, that they have become accustomed to.

Elvis
02-24-2007, 12:57 AM
:tt02:
Please.. Tony keep on the subject that I started...
I really think that Ricky has used all his
Get out of Jail Free Cards and should be left out
to pasture myself...

yinzer-inseattle
02-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Ricky Williams should not have to be officially banned by the NFL. Team owners should know better than to risk ANYTHING on this undisciplined quitter.