sheba
02-22-2007, 11:15 AM
who is better hines ward or jerry rice

fansince'76
02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Rice - by a long shot. Sorry, Hines.

ChronoCross
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
When it comes down to work ethics both are about the same. When it comes to play of the field if you go with All Around WR I say Hines. When it comes to stats its Jerry.

cubanstogie
02-22-2007, 12:35 PM
you guys are homers if you think Hines is in same league as Jerry Rice. Rice best receiver ever, although I love Hines he isn't even best WR in his generation.

Mosca
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree with cubanstogie. Hines is a quality player, we're lucky to have such a great receiver. Jerry Rice though... man, he was incredible. Hines Ward x 1.25, with speed.

Tom

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Hines is perhaps the best blocking WR ever...but his recieving skills pale to that of Rice...being that the main contribution of WR's are to catch the ball, I have to side with Rice.

That being said...the best WR of all time is Marvin Harrison....If he plays as long as Rice did...he is set to shatter all of Jerrys records.

coachspeak33
02-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I love hines but this isnt even close....Rice is arguably the greatest football player ever...at any position.

vasteeler
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
not even close rice by a long shot

kebz
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
I love Hines but it is Rice.

Hines can block though.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I love hines but this isnt even close....Rice is arguably the greatest football player ever...at any position.

hmmmmmm....greater than Unitas or Montana?

Steeldude
02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
i'll take ward everytime. would rice have been so productive if not for montana/young and the west coast offense?

yinzer-inseattle
02-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Rice left burn marks all over the NFL. He was a threat to beat everybody. Can't say the same for Hines. Jerry by far.

stillers4me
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Jerry Rice......and I challenge Hines to prove me wrong!! I l still love ya, Hines!

HometownGal
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
That is kind of a loaded question, as each play(ed) a different style. Jerry Rice was always a deep threat - Hines isn't normally utilized for that purpose. Jerry wasn't known as a gritty receiver who would knock a DB on his hiney - Hines is. Jerry couldn't block a spitball - Hines is one of the best blocking WR's in the league. I voted for Rice only because he contributed greatly to 3 of the Niners SB victories and was a Pro Bowler 13 out of 21 seasons in the league, which puts him in the all-time elite category, imho.

Steelersfan4life0655
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
well i voted for rice only cuz that rice's main thing was to catch the ball, you are not going to see rice block somebody on their ass on a regular basis like hines. i dont doubt hines' hands either, i really think hines has great hands, so that is not the reason, hines wont have the number like rice, but if you have a team that utilizies the run, i will pick the hines over rice any day. :tt02:

4n2t0
02-22-2007, 09:11 PM
That being said...the best WR of all time is Marvin Harrison....If he plays as long as Rice did...he is set to shatter all of Jerrys records.

I doubt it, a lot...

Marvin won't break many "Rice" records, just ain't gonna happen. Anyone can double someone's career stats and say "What could have been"; to actually do it like Rice is another story.

As to the question at hand, like your Sanders vs Bettis poll, this again isn't even close.

RICE BY A STRATOSPHERES WORTH OF SPACE!

Stlrs4Life
02-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Rice - by a long shot. Sorry, Hines.

Same here. In Wards defense though, they are 2 different WRs. And Rice has had some better QBs throwing to him.

alittlejazzbird
02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Gotta say Rice overall, even though I love Hines. However, as an all-around "football player," IMO there is no better blocking wide receiver anywhere in the league than Hines. Jerry Rice wouldn't even come close in that discussion. He was more of a thoroughbred showhorse, while Hines is more like an everyday workhorse. And me personally, I'll take a lunchpail type of hard worker anyday over a show pony, no matter how many ribbons it wins.

polamalufan43
02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, I love both of them. This one is hard to say because both players played under a different style and offensive stragegy. It depends what you are basing this off of. If you are talking about blocking, then it would be Hines. If you are talking about speed and catching ability, then it would be Jerry. Not like Hines can't catch or Jerry couldn't block, but they were just more suited for what they were eventually known for.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

PisnNapalm
02-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Rice.

I love Hines and everything he does, but Rice is a notch above.

Elvis
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
In comparing the 2 you must figure out what you mean by
who is better..? At What, recieving and making big plays in all games... it would have to be Rice. As far as a complete blocking reciever and recieving reciever?.. it would in my opinion have to be Ward... ask any DB who he had rather face play after play in the runnning game and see what they say...

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I doubt it, a lot...

Marvin won't break many "Rice" records, just ain't gonna happen. Anyone can double someone's career stats and say "What could have been"; to actually do it like Rice is another story.

As to the question at hand, like your Sanders vs Bettis poll, this again isn't even close.

RICE BY A STRATOSPHERES WORTH OF SPACE!

Actually Harrison...With 8 straight seasons of 1000 yards or more and 10 or more receiving TD's, has now set an NFL record passing Jerry Rice.
Also:

1) On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He is among only 4 other players in NFL history to have over 1000 receptions. The other 3 being Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, and Tim Brown. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in just 167 career games.

2) Currently Harrison is averaging 93 receptions per season (92.7 rounded), which is an all time record. He is ahead of second place Sterling Sharpe who averaged 85 receptions per season.

2) Only player to have four consecutive 100 or more reception seasons in NFL history.

3) Holds the record for most Receptions in a single season with 143, beating the previous record of 123 set by Herman Moore

4) Became the only player in NFL history to have 12 games with 8 or more receptions in a single season in 2002.

5) Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning hold the record for most receptions between a QB and a WR with 723 receptions.

6) Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record in receiving touchdowns between a QB and WR with 106 as of December 31, 2006.

7) Marvin Harrison averages approximately 6 receptions per regular season game--an NFL record.

8) As of December 31, 2006, Marvin Harrison has caught a pass in every game in his career (170), a record for any player to start his career.

9) On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.

10) Became the only player ever in the history of the NFL to have six double digit reception games in one single season in the 2002 regular season.

4n2t0
02-23-2007, 05:57 PM
In comparing the 2 you must figure out what you mean by
who is better..? At What, recieving and making big plays in all games... it would have to be Rice. As far as a complete blocking reciever and recieving reciever?.. it would in my opinion have to be Ward... ask any DB who he had rather face play after play in the runnning game and see what they say...

I love Steeler fans, always splitting hairs to give the home side an advantage.

Ward blocks so well that he's the best "RECEIVER" of all time? Screw the blocking aspect you homers! Ward isn't even the best active receiver in the NFL and you jokers want to compare him to the greatest of all time?

How about this, ask a defensive back who he'd rather face, Ward or Rice (In their primes), PERIOD.

4n2t0
02-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Actually Harrison...With 8 straight seasons of 1000 yards or more and 10 or more receiving TD's, has now set an NFL record passing Jerry Rice.
Also:

1) On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. He is among only 4 other players in NFL history to have over 1000 receptions. The other 3 being Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, and Tim Brown. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in just 167 career games.

2) Currently Harrison is averaging 93 receptions per season (92.7 rounded), which is an all time record. He is ahead of second place Sterling Sharpe who averaged 85 receptions per season.

2) Only player to have four consecutive 100 or more reception seasons in NFL history.

3) Holds the record for most Receptions in a single season with 143, beating the previous record of 123 set by Herman Moore

4) Became the only player in NFL history to have 12 games with 8 or more receptions in a single season in 2002.

5) Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning hold the record for most receptions between a QB and a WR with 723 receptions.

6) Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record in receiving touchdowns between a QB and WR with 106 as of December 31, 2006.

7) Marvin Harrison averages approximately 6 receptions per regular season game--an NFL record.

8) As of December 31, 2006, Marvin Harrison has caught a pass in every game in his career (170), a record for any player to start his career.

9) On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.

10) Became the only player ever in the history of the NFL to have six double digit reception games in one single season in the 2002 regular season.

All this means what? Should I list all of Jerry Rice's records/accoplishments? There wouldn't be enough space on the entire web.

Sorry but it still ain't close, never will be.

P.S. Marvins what, 34? Good luck with that.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2007, 05:59 PM
I'll take Jerry Rice and not think twice.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2007, 06:01 PM
All this means what? Should I list all of Jerry Rice's records? There wouldn't be enough space on the entire web.

Not even close...

Your not making sense...how can your posting of a "retired" players records ..PROVE that Harrison wont break them....He obviously HAS broken some of them

Does anyone else think this guy is Hardwork?

4n2t0
02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Your not making sense...how can your posting of a "retired" players records ..PROVE that Harrison wont break them....He obviously HAS broken some of them

Does anyone else think this guy is Hardwork?

If you can't/won't understand than I'm afraid you're on your own...

I'm not the one making no sense.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2007, 06:18 PM

uh...yea...nice explanation...Nothing personal but I think I'll just move on to people who know football..and are not rude.....My experience is that people who start this board being confrontational instead of willing to discuss facts..will always be confrontational....thanks for the clarification.

4n2t0
02-23-2007, 07:16 PM
uh...yea...nice explanation...Nothing personal but I think I'll just move on to people who know football..and are not rude.....My experience is that people who start this board being confrontational instead of willing to discuss facts..will always be confrontational....thanks for the clarification.

Is this suppose to be a "My shit don't stink" post? You're not rude at all. "Nothing personal but I think I'll just move on to people who know football", what is that called? Polite?

I disagree with you, all knowing master of the football universe, deal with it.

Preacher
02-23-2007, 07:41 PM
As for the poll... I voted Rice. Hands down.

If we want to go point by point... Ward would only win in two categories, and they are related. He would win in blocking, and in overall toughness.

However, neither of those categories are central to the WR position. Possession receiver, big play ability, straight ability to catch a ball, ability to defeat the coverage, crossing routes over the middle, overall impact on the game, ability to take pressure of other receivers by being double-teamed, leadership ability, etc. etc. are all Rice. (though leadership ability and ability to go across the middle are close).

As to the Harrison/Rice argument.

That argument will only be able to be made once both players are retired. Furthermore, there will be questions based on Harrison able to click with one QB vs. Rice having to play with two through the better part of his career, then the comparisons of QB's etc. come into play.

In the end, I really don't like these types of comparisons, because what may work in one place won't in another. Rice may not have thrived as much in Indy. Who knows why! Different O scheming. Different WR routes. West-coast offense vs. deep patterns. etc. etc. and the same with Harrison.

The real question then is, is Harrison in the same class as Rice. The answer to that is no... not yet. That answer again, can't come until after the career is over.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Is this suppose to be a "My shit don't stink" post? You're not rude at all. "Nothing personal but I think I'll just move on to people who know football", what is that called? Polite?

I disagree with you, all knowing master of the football universe, deal with it.

Just for the record junior...You said that Harrison wouldnt break many of Rices records...I used facts to show that my original statement was correct....and that IN FACT...Harrison had broken several records already...and in a shorter time than it took Rice....Did you respond with facts...NO...
I didnt psot to prove you worng just to show that you were misinformed...I apologize if that hurt your feelings...but lets be honest...since the facts were on MY side you responded with :

All this means what? Should I list all of Jerry Rice's records/accoplishments? There wouldn't be enough space on the entire web.

Sorry but it still ain't close, never will be.

P.S. Marvins what, 34? Good luck with that.

Obviously hurt your feelings..so sorry
The reason that I was asking for a clarification or FACTS was because I was confused as to how a currently active player who HAD broken some of the "retired" Rices records CANT break "many" more...???

The fact that you resonded with ...

...shows that you are not willing to debate like adults...

I have no desire to argue with you....and point fingers...anyone here can tell you that I have been wrong about things in the past and will "Man-up" when needed
I was hoping to have an exchange of information and debate with you...but would rather do it with "people who know football well enough to not have their feelings hurt when someone disagrees with them"....people who use facts and not return with a "if you dont understand..your on your own"...

There are plenty of people on here who will have that type of debate...look for them

Thanks

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
As for the poll... I voted Rice. Hands down.

If we want to go point by point... Ward would only win in two categories, and they are related. He would win in blocking, and in overall toughness.

However, neither of those categories are central to the WR position. Possession receiver, big play ability, straight ability to catch a ball, ability to defeat the coverage, crossing routes over the middle, overall impact on the game, ability to take pressure of other receivers by being double-teamed, leadership ability, etc. etc. are all Rice. (though leadership ability and ability to go across the middle are close).

As to the Harrison/Rice argument.

That argument will only be able to be made once both players are retired. Furthermore, there will be questions based on Harrison able to click with one QB vs. Rice having to play with two through the better part of his career, then the comparisons of QB's etc. come into play.

In the end, I really don't like these types of comparisons, because what may work in one place won't in another. Rice may not have thrived as much in Indy. Who knows why! Different O scheming. Different WR routes. West-coast offense vs. deep patterns. etc. etc. and the same with Harrison.

The real question then is, is Harrison in the same class as Rice. The answer to that is no... not yet. That answer again, can't come until after the career is over.

Excellent points Preacher..and the way debates are supposed to be done.

4n2t0
02-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Just for the record junior...You said that Harrison wouldnt break many of Rices records...I used facts to show that my original statement was correct....and that IN FACT...Harrison had broken several records already...and in a shorter time than it took Rice....Did you respond with facts...NO...
I didnt psot to prove you worng just to show that you were misinformed...I apologize if that hurt your feelings...but lets be honest...since the facts were on MY side you responded with :

I only care to respond to this portion, as the rest is useless garble. You're not right, he's broken only a few and you've proven that, not many like I said.

I don't have feelings for you, football, or anything else not "life" important. Your feelings got hurt, it shows, but I could care less.

That's it, that's all I could muster.

Bun-B
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Chad Jhonson

Preacher
02-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Chad Jhonson

Prooooobably not the smartest first post on a Steeler board. :dang:

fansince'76
02-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Who's Chad "Jhonson?" Incidentally, Carson Palmer is the best QB in the history of the universe and "Black Jesus" is Paul Brown, Lombardi, and Walsh all rolled into one.

Preacher
02-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Who's Chad "Jhonson?"

LOL...

Elvis
02-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks brother..
Just didnt know exactly how to put things
into prospective in confronting this punk!!!!!!!
You know... I love Jerry Rice and all that the man did for this NFL and I absolutely agree that he is the Greatest WR ever to play the game, this is my opinion I know but it is the way I feel.. But there is No and I mean NO Reciever in the NFL that has more Guts and Balls to get out there and knock a DB on his A$$ than Hines Ward and that is where he is better than Rice ever Was or Ever Will Be!!
:helmet:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2007, 07:22 AM
That's it, that's all I could muster.

Too your credit..you did manage to muster more spite ..than you could facts.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks brother..
Just didnt know exactly how to put things
into prospective in confronting this punk!!!!!!!
You know... I love Jerry Rice and all that the man did for this NFL and I absolutely agree that he is the Greatest WR ever to play the game, this is my opinion I know but it is the way I feel.. But there is No and I mean NO Reciever in the NFL that has more Guts and Balls to get out there and knock a DB on his A$$ than Hines Ward and that is where he is better than Rice ever Was or Ever Will Be!!
:helmet:

No problem...We should have known there was something a little "wrong" about a poster who sports a Steelers logo but sounds like its a "Steelers Fans vs Me" mentality....Calling other members "Homers"....and saying..."I love Steeler fans, always splitting hairs to give the home side an advantage"....
..Does that sound like a wolf in sheeps clothing to anyone else?

LarryNJ
02-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Jerry Rice the best WR of all time. Hines isn't even the best WR in the game today.

HometownGal
02-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Chad Jhonson

Who the heck is Chad Jhonson? Ohhhhh- I know who you mean, silly me.:dang: Chad Johnson. That big-mouthed, slacker of an egomaniac who talks the talk but can't walk the walk against the Steelers because he is scared of the Steelers DBs. You know - the guy who used to wear a cadaver's intestines on top of that melon head of his. :flap:

Steeldude
02-25-2007, 01:33 PM
the two WRs play in two very different offensive schemes.

Raider_Nation00
02-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Rice... Not even close sorry.

aussiesteelers
02-26-2007, 12:01 AM
I can't believe this question. Rice is definately a class or two above Ward. Ward is very good but rice is a living legend

drew102e
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
rice of course...is hines even the best steeler WR ever, over stallworth, over swann

lilyoder6
02-27-2007, 09:33 PM
yea rice is far more superior than ward... rice is one of the best who ever played the game in any position....

verks36
02-27-2007, 09:39 PM
This isnt a arguement sorry hines but Rice is the best all time

CantStop85
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
lol...

lol

I can't even justify a response to this question.

lol

Avoid LLoyd1975
02-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Gotta go with Hines, man I just can't vote for Rice especially after he pawned Steve Largent to unretire his number. If Hines had as many balls thrown his way as Rice did who knows. Rice's stats are unbelievable but the best players always don't have the best stats. Here comes the arguments...