PDA

View Full Version : Cowher Interview on WTAE

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Cowher Power Talks Steelers, Stepping Down, Relaxation

RALEIGH, N.C. -- For 15 years, former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher stalked the sidelines, but with three months before his 50th birthday, Cowher has settled down in Raleigh with his family, at least for now.

WTAE Channel 4 Action News anchor Sally Wiggin caught up with Cowher and his wife, Kaye, for an exclusive interview.

It has been a little over six weeks since Cowher publicly said goodbye to the job that had defined him, but already, life has slowed for him a bit.

"Happy to have him down and have some time with him again," said Cowher's wife, Kaye. "He has become my walking partner. Yeah we walk. He doesn't like to. He would rather run, but I make him walk."

"If she stops early, I run the last lap," said Bill.

And he admits he is even sleeping better, too.

Wiggin: "Have there been moments of anxiety when you wake up in the morning, and go, 'Ohhhh?'"

Cowher: "I don't think so. I mean, every now and then, I get a little antsy walking around the house and hear my wife say, 'You are bored, aren't you?'"

Cowher is set to take on his new role, though. He will be the only coach on a CBS team that includes former Pittsburgher Dan Marino.

"This is really a great opportunity for me, to see if this is something I can be good at," said Cowher. "And it is in New York, so I will leave on a Saturday and come back on a Sunday night."

The schedule leaves time for Cowher to see his daughter Lindsay's Friday night high school games, along with time to see his other daughters, Meagan and Lauren at Princeton.

After Cowher's first appearance since stepping down as the Steelers' coach, Kaye offered him a piece of advice.

"The biggest thing is, I have got to get rid of my Pittsburgh accent," said Cowher.

"I told him that," said Kaye.

"There is a little that comes out and she will always point it out," said Cowher.

But the deep fondness he and his family have for Pittsburgh is lasting.

"It is a very, very special place, and will always be for us," said Cowher.

"To the girls, Pittsburgh is their home," said Kaye. "They really like the beach. They like Raleigh, but for the rest of their lives, they will always say, 'I am from Pittsburgh.'"

But for Cowher, being in Pittsburgh for those six months of commuting was hard.

"To be there and talk with her at times, to help at times, I missed that and just being back here for a short period of time, has reaffirmed this decision," said Cowher.

And Lindsay and Kaye said they couldn't be happier.

Now, to quote a recent article," he is immersed in a cocoon of femininity."

Wiggin: "Are there times right now, that you just feel awash in hormones?"

Cowher: "There are always overlaps somewhere in there. I just bounce around from one girl to another, acknowledge I say the wrong thing at the wrong time. But the newest addition won't mind."

The newest addition, meaning their new puppy, Bella.

"She stole his heart," said Kaye.

"We still have a male cat in the house, but with Bella, it was love at first sight," said Cowher.

As much as the Cowhers are enjoying their time together now, they said they are equally grateful for their 15 Pittsburgh years, and they thank the Rooneys for that.

To watch interview clip: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/11074921/detail.html

tony hipchest
02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
"The biggest thing is, I have got to get rid of my Pittsburgh accent," said Cowher.

"I told him that," said Kaye.

whats up with YoKaye Ono? a cocoon of femininity? awash in hormones????

RUN FOR THE HILLS COWHER! get the hell out of there as fast as you can!

kitties and puppies??? :dang:

PisnNapalm
02-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Why the hell would he need to get rid of the accent?? Cripes... Decent article otherwise.

NV STEELERS 723
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
My Dad is from Pittsburgh and he's been here in So. NV for the last 22 years and he STILL talks like he's from the Burgh.. I love it !

I'm happy for BC, and I welcome Coach Tomlin, but I still wish BC was our HC....it wasn't his time to leave!

PisnNapalm
02-22-2007, 08:54 PM
A few months ago, I was out shopping and a woman overheard me and asked if I was from western PA. It was one of those rare days when I wasn't wearing anything Steelers too. :)

qwertzxcv2003
02-23-2007, 02:15 AM
what if cowher gets hired by the browns in 08?

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I to was a little upset about the accent part. Then they talk out of thier other side of the mouth by saying Pittsburgh will always be there home? Liars.

floodcitygirl
02-23-2007, 09:17 PM
I love that accent. When I hear it, it always sound like home to me. :smile:

NV STEELERS 723
02-25-2007, 12:18 AM
I love that accent. When I hear it, it always sound like home to me. :smile:

I feel the same!

LarryNJ
02-25-2007, 08:44 AM
I'll tell you why he needs to ditch the accent. Because if he doesn't he has no chance of making it on national tv. Kaye realizes this and I'm sure she would rather have him working one day a week instead of 7. They get a paid trip to NY every weekend. Princeton is a short drive from the city so they'll get to visit the girls.

You may not want to hear it or believe it, but many things in a Pgh. accent sound ignorant. I went through years of my wife telling me the same things Bill is hearing now. Does Dan marinio have an accent?

I wish Bill well in his TV gig. I hope he makes it because I'd rather see him there than coaching an opposing team. That being said I question whether he has the personality to succeed at the job. Hopefully CBS has already started him in some sort of training.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 04:45 PM
I'll tell you why he needs to ditch the accent. Because if he doesn't he has no chance of making it on national tv....You may not want to hear it or believe it, but many things in a Pgh. accent sound ignorant.

Care to explain how Shannon Sharpe has been able to stick around on CBS, then? Half the shit he says is practically unintelligible. If a mushmouth like Sharpe can stick around, a little Pittsburghese is not going to hurt Cowher. In fact, if it were up to me, at least 60% of the talking heads covering the NFL for various networks would be gone, yet year after year, they're still there (Theismann, Simms, Gumbel, Cross, Madden - to name just a few). Further, I don't think this will be a long-term gig for Cowher - I give it one year (two tops) before he is coaching somewhere again.

NV STEELERS 723
02-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Care to explain how Shannon Sharpe has been able to stick around on CBS, then? Half the shit he says is practically unintelligible. If a mushmouth like Sharpe can stick around, a little Pittsburghese is not going to hurt Cowher. In fact, if it were up to me, at least 60% of the talking heads covering the NFL for various networks would be gone, yet year after year, they're still there (Theismann, Simms, Gumbel, Cross, Madden - to name just a few). Further, I don't think this will be a long-term gig for Cowher - I give it one year (two tops) before he is coaching somewhere again.

I would be surprised if he came back after 2 years....his interview was pretty convincing to me.....he's loving life after 15 yrs of being a NFL Coach...he looked relaxed and happy...

I'm not saying he won't coach again....but it will be years again, before that fire is in his belly.. ...lots depend on his wife and girls, and us STEELERS fans have that found out..

I will have a hard time rooting against BC except when he coaches against the STEELERS of course.....

There is a huge part of me that hopes when he does come back ; it will be with the STEELERS ...

Well...... I can hope !

yinzer-inseattle
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
You may not want to hear it or believe it, but many things in a Pgh. accent sound ignorant. I went through years of my wife telling me the same things Bill is hearing now. Does Dan marinio have an accent?

Initially I thought the same thing. I had a 10th grade teacher practically beat the Yinzer out of me. On second thought though, there are plenty of southern accents and midwestern accents that make their way into the national media (look at golf and car racing). The NFL is no more or less refined than the PGA or NASCAR. I think Cowher will be fine as long as he is himself. Part of his allure is his "bahkrahnd". People identify him with Pittsburgh and probably will forever.

I for one hope he doesn't try to be something he is not. It will detract from the wealth of knowledge he has on the sport.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I would be surprised if he came back after 2 years....his interview was pretty convincing to me.....he's loving life after 15 yrs of being a NFL Coach...he looked relaxed and happy...

I'm not saying he won't coach again....but it will be years again, before that fire is in his belly.. ...lots depend on his wife and girls, and us STEELERS fans have that found out..

Wait until the boredom sets in, which it hasn't had time to yet. I think the Panthers' brass is very well aware of the fact that Bill is living in their neighborhood now. If I'm John Fox, I'm sweating big time going into next season....

LarryNJ
02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't think it will be boredom as much as it will be $$$$ that bring Bill back to coaching. I have no idea what he'll make with CBS but I doubt it would be anywhere near the 8-10 million he'll get as a head coach. If he is able to land a gig like Madden making the big $$$ he won't coach again.

Good point about Shannon Sharpe he speaks a different language. I don't watch golf or nascar so I've never heard those guys. I really don't think you'll hear much Pittsburghese on Sundays from Bill.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't think it will be boredom as much as it will be $$$$ that bring Bill back to coaching. I have no idea what he'll make with CBS but I doubt it would be anywhere near the 8-10 million he'll get as a head coach. If he is able to land a gig like Madden making the big $$$ he won't coach again.

Good point about Shannon Sharpe he speaks a different language. I don't watch golf or nascar so I've never heard those guys. I really don't think you'll hear much Pittsburghese on Sundays from Bill.

Thanks, LarryNJ. I agree with you about the money as well - if he lands a gig like Madden (who, IMHO, lost it years ago), he probably won't be back as a HC. I apologize if my earlier response seemed kind of short - it certainly wasn't intended that way. :cheers:

MJ5150
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah, you go ahead and shake that accent Bill. You wouldn't want that horrible accent any part of you now would you? :pissed:

Also drop that "Pittsburgh is home for us" crap as well. :rolleyes:

Just you wait until the Steelers pop up on the schedule of the next team you coach. We'll smack anything to do with Pittsburgh out of your lame behind!!!!!!!!

-Mike

Preacher
02-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Southern and midwestern accents are REGIONAL accents. they reach an entire region of the nation. Pitts. accent is just a local accent. It won't play to a larger audience. Also, most people don't know the Pitt accent, however, they do know a midwest, southern accent.

I am proud of what Bill has done. I am also happy with the fact that he said he was quitting for family, and so far, he has done so. If he comes back in a few years, then good for him. But I gotta be happy for him now.

Counselor
02-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey this thread made me finally de-lurk and register! First thing is first--Dan Marino DOES have a Pgh accent big time! The difference between he and Cowher is that Marino annunciates his words---Cowher is more garbled-- and its not because of the Pgh accent.

I respect what Cowher has done to spend more time with his kids, he does need to work on his public speaking (accent or not) but every time I see/read an interview with Kaye she ticks me off. Her comments drip disdain for Pgh. Whether she means it that way or not I don't know, but she drives me nuts!

LarryNJ
02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey this thread made me finally de-lurk and register! First thing is first--Dan Marino DOES have a Pgh accent big time! The difference between he and Cowher is that Marino annunciates his words---Cowher is more garbled-- and its not because of the Pgh accent.

I respect what Cowher has done to spend more time with his kids, he does need to work on his public speaking (accent or not) but every time I see/read an interview with Kaye she ticks me off. Her comments drip disdain for Pgh. Whether she means it that way or not I don't know, but she drives me nuts!

Glad to see you finally registered! Welcome aboard!

I'm going to pay closer attention to Dan when he's on. I haven't noticed an accent on him.

Speaking of Kaye, I can't believe she let her husband go to his final news conference wearing that sweater. :)

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I think Kaye is butt ugly too, anybody else think the same?

tony hipchest
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I think Kaye is butt ugly too, anybody else think the same?i can see why cowher kissed kordell.:dang: :banging:

:chuckle:

Preacher
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
i can see why cowher kissed kordell.:dang: :banging:

:chuckle:

Hey now!!!!

Godfather
02-27-2007, 08:04 AM

I'm not so sure about that. Unless Cowher is a complete idiot when it comes to finances, he should never have to work again.

$8M a year to coach sounds good to us, but at some point you run into diminishing returns. Why work as hard as a head coach has to if you don't need the money?

Livinginthe past
02-27-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm not so sure about that. Unless Cowher is a complete idiot when it comes to finances, he should never have to work again.

$8M a year to coach sounds good to us, but at some point you run into diminishing returns. Why work as hard as a head coach has to if you don't need the money?

Because guys who coach - and this goes for most sports - are addicted to the adrenaline, the buzz of being 'the man'..

Players tend to be alot more mercenary when it comes to ensuring they are getting plenty of buck for their 'bang'.

NM