PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin talks with Porter, nothing decided

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Tomlin talks with Porter, nothing decided

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 22, 2007

INDIANAPOLIS -- Mike Tomlin has talked to Joey Porter but the new Steelers coach said nothing has been decided in regard to Porter's future with the team.

Porter is in the final year of his contract, and the outside linebacker, who turns 30 on March 22, has made it clear he wants the Steelers to sign him to a lucrative extension.

The eight-year veteran is due a $1 million bonus if he is on the Steelers' roster March 6 and his base salary for the 2007 season will be $4 million unless his contract is restructured or Porter is released.

"He's under contract," said Tomlin, who would only talk in the present concerning Porter. "He's a Pittsburgh Steeler."

Tomlin addressed the national media for the first time since he became the Steelers' head coach Thursday and essentially he said he wouldn't give himself a grace period to grow into the job.

"I'm an impatient person by nature," Tomlin said Thursday when asked how quickly he expected to have success. "That's just how I am wired"

Tomlin and Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert are in Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine.

The two along with assorted medical personnel and scouts will evaluate prospects over the next week in preparation for the NFL Draft, which is at the end of April.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_494495.html

fansince'76
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Thanks for posting the article.

memphissteelergirl
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Tomlin addressed the national media for the first time since he became the Steelers' head coach Thursday and essentially he said he wouldn't give himself a grace period to grow into the job.

"I'm an impatient person by nature," Tomlin said Thursday when asked how quickly he expected to have success. "That's just how I am wired"

I am liking this guy more and more....:thumbsup:

polamalufan43
02-22-2007, 04:28 PM

I am liking this guy more and more....:thumbsup:

I think we all are. Concerning Porter... I'm thinking there might be a holdout if things don't hurry up soon. But with the things Tomlin stated... I'm not too worried:thumbsup:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Another article pertaining to Tomlin and Porter....

Steelers' Tomlin Uncertain Of Porter's Future

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' new head coach Mike Tomlin has a big decision to make long before the season starts, and it concerns the future of linebacker Joey Porter.

Tomlin talked about the situation on Thursday in Indianapolis, where he will gauge talent at the NFL combine, which begins later in the week.

Porter has made it clear that he wants to remain on the team, however, he turns 30 next month, and he has just one year remaining on his current deal, which would bring him $4 million next season.

But spending the necessary money to resign him to a longer-term deal is a decision Tomlin isn't ready to make.

"You need to be careful when you talk about making decisions like that, because if you're not careful, you'll try to tell a story, as opposed to letting things happen," said Tomlin.

Tomlin told the national media attending the combines only that Porter is currently a Steeler, and he's under contract.

Porter is due a $1 million bonus on March 6, but Tomlin has no plans for making any hasty decisions simply because that date is approaching.

"A lot of times, if you slow the process down and watch it unfold, the decisions become clearer to you, so I'm taking that approach," said Tomlin. "I'm not going to prejudge anyone or any situation."

Tomlin further said that he does not give himself a grace period to grow into the job and expects to have success quickly.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/11084567/detail.html

SteelerFanInTX210
02-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Adalius Thomas didnt get Tagged, lets restructure some contracts and pick him up.

ChronoCross
02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Adalius Thomas didnt get Tagged, lets restructure some contracts and pick him up.

wont happen.

Stlrs4Life
02-22-2007, 10:41 PM

It would be cheaper to sign Joey.

NV STEELERS 723
02-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Peezy holds out...its likley since BC was "his guy" and it makes me sick that he would try to get millions out of the Rooneys ....I never thought Greg Lloyd was replacable, but the STEELERS did,,,,,, and I hope we don't give in to this "stick up" by Joey Porter....give this guy his walking papers to the Raiders...

ChronoCross
02-23-2007, 12:05 AM
It would be cheaper to sign Joey.

It would be greatly cheaper.. Adl wants somewhere near 10mil a year for 6 years and that is not including bonus. Who ever pays that is nuts..

rhino
02-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I think we all are. Concerning Porter... I'm thinking there might be a holdout if things don't hurry up soon. But with the things Tomlin stated... I'm not too worried:thumbsup:

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I hope they cut him before March 6 and save the $1 Million. He's obviously not anywhere near the player he was in the 2005 playoffs anymore and James Harrison could probably do no worse than he did last year. I'm tired of these pri madoona players who think they can get whatever they want with a holdout. At least when Hines did it he was one of the top receivers in the NFL and very underpaid. Porter is probably not even in the top 20 linebackers and he is very fairly compensated.

NV STEELERS 723
02-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Hines deserves his cash.....he actually hits people as a WR......Hines is always gonna catch the ball...Peezy misses the QB most often than not...

Steel Pit
02-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Peezy holds out...its likley since BC was "his guy" and it makes me sick that he would try to get millions out of the Rooneys ....I never thought Greg Lloyd was replacable, but the STEELERS did,,,,,, and I hope we don't give in to this "stick up" by Joey Porter....give this guy his walking papers to the Raiders...

Agreed 100%. The Porter argument has been going on for a few weeks in other threads.
I'm suprised to see that the "JOEY PORTER CAVALRY" hasn't kicked open the door to this thread to defend "LORD LOUD MOUTH!":yeehaw:

ChronoCross
02-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Agreed 100%. The Porter argument has been going on for a few weeks in other threads.
I'm suprised to see that the "JOEY PORTER CAVALRY" hasn't kicked open the door to this thread to defend "LORD LOUD MOUTH!":yeehaw:

Its useless to try and defend him when the whole team had a bad season but you have fans who try and point the fingers at select players for the problem. So if Porter is with the team this season and a starter the coach has made his choice of having the best person on the field and if it is Porter so be it. Who ever the coach picks as the starters I will follow and agree with.

Steel Pit
02-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Its useless to try and defend him when the whole team had a bad season but you have fans who try and point the fingers at select players for the problem. So if Porter is with the team this season and a starter the coach has made his choice of having the best person on the field and if it is Porter so be it. Who ever the coach picks as the starters I will follow and agree with.

Well I can live with that. I won't question Tomlin's decision. BUT, Tomlin won't have an opportunity to evaluate the OLB prospects until AFTER Porter's demand for a contract extension is resolved. It would certainly be a bad investment if the Steelers extend Porter's contract and then Tomlin replaces him as a starter after training camp.

Furthermore, I'm not blaming Porter for the Steelers bad season. He was definitely one of the many elements that resulted in a horrible season. I just don't believe that Porter is worth the kind of money that he and his agent are certain to demand. If anything he should sign for significantly less as Bettis did a couple of years ago.

Mr. Porter you're asking for a big dollar extension? Well son, there's the door.:wave:

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Well I can live with that. I won't question Tomlin's decision. BUT, Tomlin won't have an opportunity to evaluate the OLB prospects until AFTER Porter's demand for a contract extension is resolved. It would certainly be a bad investment if the Steelers extend Porter's contract and then Tomlin replaces him as a starter after training camp.

Furthermore, I'm not blaming Porter for the Steelers bad season. He was definitely one of the many elements that resulted in a horrible season. I just don't believe that Porter is worth the kind of money that he and his agent are certain to demand. If anything he should sign for significantly less as Bettis did a couple of years ago.

Mr. Porter you're asking for a big dollar extension? Well son, there's the door.:wave: dont put the cart before the horse. :yeehaw:

porters under contract for one more year. you are overreacting to all this "negotiation" and porters "demands" and "bad investment".

i realize you cant stand porter because of his personality but keep in mind it was the rooneys who made the decision to pay porter $5 mil. next season. not his fans. who knows, maybe the rooneys will just decide to honor the contract they signed and let him play it out. 08 is 08. no need to be so paranoid just cause the mouth says he wants to be extended and retire a steeler.

its business. dont take it so personal. the rooneys and coaching staff know what theyre doing, and if there is no adequate replacement porter will stay. the price of business is going up and its not like $5 mil for what porter brings to the table is a kings ransom. nowadays thats about an average salary for a veteran player of his stature.

it will be ok.

memphissteelergirl
02-23-2007, 10:13 AM
^ :iagree:

(My 500th post...man! Time flies when you're havin' fun! ;))

fansince'76
02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
What's going to be interesting? Porter's going to ask for way more money than we can give him (without ruining the entire team via salary cap problems in a couple years), and then we won't pay him that much, and he'll sign with someone else. Maybe he'll throw a shitfit about it before the season, or maybe he'll do it after the season. Maybe he'll say a few positive things about Pittsburgh after he's gone, or maybe he'll talk trash about how "cheap" we were. There's really not much more to it.

I think it will be interesting to see how much Porter overvalues himself, that's all. I'm well aware of the situation, thank you.

TackleMeBen
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I think if he wants an extention then maybe he should play better than last year. Yes, I know the whole team sucked last year, but if you want more money then show why you deserve it. I like Joey and love to hear his take on things, but if you dont perform then why overpay?

Edman
02-24-2007, 09:17 AM
The whole team besides Willie P didn't play up to standards. 2006 was a sorry year, but Porter sure didn't do his part to make it any better. He was supposed to be our veteran leadership, and he did far from that. It was Parker who stepped up and called the team a bunch of fat cats, not Porter. Losing his cool in the Raider game, that stupid, stupid, stupid personal foul against the Ravens in the Second game. Disappearing in games that don't include the Browns, Dolphins, and Bucs. Talking then disappearing was the theme of Peezy in 2006. Just my opinion of course.

Atlanta Dan
02-24-2007, 09:55 AM
If the Ravens could not meet the price Thomas wants the Steelers certainly will not.

IMHO Porter told Tomlin he will not be coming to camp without a contract extension, which he is not getting. OTOH Porter cannot afford to sit out the regular season.

Steelers are in bind here - this team has 1 more year before major restructuring but without Porter there is a big gap at OLB for 2007, which will be the last run for this group.

Do not be stunned if Porter is cut in the next week as the Steelers figure it is time to rebuild sooner rather than later.

SteelersTilIDie
02-24-2007, 10:18 AM
i agree...adalius thomas would be ideal if we could restructure contracts and sign him

DACEB
02-24-2007, 05:58 PM
The more I hear I'm starting to believe Porter will be gone. Thats to bad, I would hope he would restructure his contract. IMO that probably won't happen so, it's been fun Joey thanks for the quotes and the memories.

Wait Joey, please be smart and loyal Joey, sign a hometown deal and let's make another run!

aussiesteelers
02-25-2007, 08:31 AM
IMO Tomlin and Colbert will make the right decision about Porter. I hope he stays because I think he can give us another good solid year. He is better than anyone we have or can get in FA. I also don't think he will holdout because he is a steeler person and he won't get what he wants as the Rooneys don't negotiate with holdouts.

BlitzBacker
02-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Ok so this is my first post and i figured this is a good a topic as any..ive been keeping up on this subject through steelers fever and anything else that gives me good beleivable steelers news and frankly i think porter is gonna be playing for another team next year. I want to be wrong but this is what i feel is going to happen. We were extremly close to that happening last year(or at least a holdout) and cowher stoped that from happening. Mike tomlin has a dilemma right here mainly in the fact of our obvious lack of depth at olb. I think we have a starter in james harrison who comes at a much cheaper price tag then porter.Harrison also seems to preform when no one exspects him to or they just want a filler guy to stop the big play when porter is gone (injured or being subed). So it might be better for us to possibly part ways with porter...or possibly a trade.

abowens
02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Ed Bouchette - Post-Gazette - is of the opinion that the Steelers will not pay Porter his roster bonus which would make him a free agent. We know he wants more money and he thinks he's worth more than anybody will give him. Now that Cowher's gone, does he have any loyalty to the Steelers - enough to take less than he is currently under contract for to give the Steelers needed cap space? I doubt it. I wish he would - but he won't. It looks like Joey won't be in the Black & Gold this season. Is he really on the backside of his career so much so that he'll be a has been somewhere else? Thoughts...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
I will be suprised if Porter is a Steelers after the next few weeks. If he is, I welcome him, however, I do think he starting to slow down and it will not be long until his knees give hime more problems. I would like to see him stay, but I think its important to free up some cap room,,,,,,,Lets get a rookie in there to start from day one.

Newzfoxjr
02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
If he's being a jackass about it, I hope he goes to the worst team. But if not, I hope he stays...!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
nice sig Newz

ChronoCross
02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Already a big thread on porter is he staying are going and other thoughts on it;

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15162

drew102e
02-26-2007, 08:31 PM
1 mill roster bonus, 4 mill salary, plus hes unhappy

think it might be time to say goodbye, hate it though, hes been a great steeler

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Well, that is only Ed Bouchettes opinion.

drew102e
02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
eds usually right though

jjpro11
02-27-2007, 02:46 AM
im just going to come out and say it.. a number of steelers fans have problems with his talking, etc, etc... well i really really hope he stays. i enjoy watching him play and even mouth off at times. i like his intensity and the way he plays, even if he isnt the most effective all the time. i know its been said many times over about players, but i just cant seem him in another uniform. it would truly be a sad day for me if he were to be released or traded. it was rough seeing bill leave and i would hate to see a fan favorite like porter go also, because he really is a fan favorite to many. i wanna see him come out waving that terrible towl during the intros next year. :tt02: