PDA

View Full Version : santonio holmes vs torry holt

tony hipchest
02-22-2007, 09:15 PM
just thinking of the similarities of torry holt and s. holmes: same size, both 1st wr taken in their class, both went to a team 1 year away from a SB, both went to a team as an understudy to an excellent, already established #1 wr.

their 1st year stats are quite similar too:

G.... GS.... Rec..... Yds..... Avg..... Lg...... TD..... 20+..... 40+..... 1st
16.... 4...... 49....... 824.... 16.8.... 67....... 2...... 12........ 3.......... 41 santonio holmes
16..... 15..... 52...... 788..... 15.2... 63....... 6...... 12........ 3.......... 32 torry holt

holt edged holmes in td's but holt definitely had the edge in games started.

may the rest of holmes career mirror holts :cheers:

Stainless Steel
02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Cool stats. Thanks. A bout the only big difference is the TD catagory.

MACH1
02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
How many fumbles did Holt have in his first year compared to Holmes?

Stu Pidasso
02-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I still wish he'd change his jersey number...

qwertzxcv2003
02-23-2007, 03:11 AM
santonio has a lot to prove still

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2007, 05:52 AM
How many fumbles did Holt have in his first year compared to Holmes?

Holt: 4 lost 2

Holmes: 5 lost 2

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2007, 06:18 AM
santonio has a lot to prove still

Normally that's the case with a WR only going into his second year. For only being in his first year I thought he played better and was more reliable than Washington and Wilson.

I'll happily take what he brought in his first year in the NFL, especially the OT TD catch which ended the Bengals season. :wink02:

And on that note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUObYW-x0Ro

For what it's worth, I tried using the new youtube feature and a blank white box showed up in the post. :hunch:

Steel Pit
02-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Holt: 4 lost 2

Holmes: 5 lost 2

But Holt has returned only 3 kicks in his career and that was in 1999. As we're all to aware, kick returns have accounted for a few of Holmes' fumbles.

83-Steelers-43
02-23-2007, 06:34 AM
But Holt has returned only 3 kicks in his career and that was in 1999. As we're all to aware, kick returns have accounted for a few of Holmes' fumbles.

Agreed. He asked I answered...lol. I kind of figured people would take into account that Holmes was returning punts and Holt was not during their respected rookie seasons. :smile:

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 09:33 AM
now in holts 2nd year he made the jump to 80+ catches, 1600+ yds and a 19+ypc average.

hopefully bens head and body are straight and holmes will be the starter and not the 3rd wr. its not impossible to think he cant have a huge year.

TackleMeBen
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
now in holts 2nd year he made the jump to 80+ catches, 1600+ yds and a 19+ypc average.

hopefully bens head and body are straight and holmes will be the starter and not the 3rd wr. its not impossible to think he cant have a huge year.

well if ben can stay off the golf links and work with holmes i think they will be a heck of a qb/wr team. i only see great things happening for our team this season :thumbsup:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 01:09 PM
just thinking of the similarities of torry holt and s. holmes: same size, both 1st wr taken in their class, both went to a team 1 year away from a SB, both went to a team as an understudy to an excellent, already established #1 wr.

their 1st year stats are quite similar too:

G.... GS.... Rec..... Yds..... Avg..... Lg...... TD..... 20+..... 40+..... 1st
16.... 4...... 49....... 824.... 16.8.... 67....... 2...... 12........ 3.......... 41 santonio holmes
16..... 15..... 52...... 788..... 15.2... 63....... 6...... 12........ 3.......... 32 torry holt

holt edged holmes in td's but holt definitely had the edge in games started.

may the rest of holmes career mirror holts :cheers:

Tony, Holt was a rookie in 99 and the Rams won the Super Bowl that year. So Holt played in the Super Bowl his rookie season.

Other then that very close and I would be very happy if Holmes goes on to have the carrer Holt has had so far.

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Tony, Holt was a rookie in 99 and the Rams won the Super Bowl that year. So Holt played in the Super Bowl his rookie season.

Other then that very close and I would be very happy if Holmes goes on to have the carrer Holt has had so far.yeah, i was thinking holt- 99 rookie in a year the sb was won in 00, and holmes an 06 rookie in a year the sb was won in 05 (technically 06).

anyways the point is they both went to sb calibur teams unlike the lions slew of wr draftpicks.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
yeah, i was thinking holt- 99 rookie in a year the sb was won in 00, and holmes an 06 rookie in a year the sb was won in 05 (technically 06).

anyways the point is they both went to sb calibur teams unlike the lions slew of wr draftpicks.

Another comparison to throw out there to is Holt had a solid vet WR like Issac Bruce to show him the ropes of how to be an NFL player and Holmes has Hines Ward.

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Another comparison to throw out there to is Holt had a solid vet WR like Issac Bruce to show him the ropes of how to be an NFL player and Holmes has Hines Ward. already covered that one:

" both went to a team as an understudy to an excellent, already established #1 wr."

im curious of their speed or (combine speed) which is probably about the same, and hands. holt makes frequent miracle highlight reel catches, but holmes hasnt shown anything to say hes not capable of the same.

oh and the final thing.... their last names both start with hol :chuckle:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 01:29 PM
already covered that one:

" both went to a team as an understudy to an excellent, already established #1 wr."

im curious of their speed or (combine speed) which is probably about the same, and hands. holt makes frequent miracle highlight reel catches, but holmes hasnt shown anything to say hes not capable of the same.

oh and the final thing.... their last names both start with hol :chuckle:

Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread.:dang: I just saw the thread title and responded.

Suitanim
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Holmes made plenty of circus catches at OSU. I don't like the circumstances that he surrounded himself with before last season, but sometimes those kinds of things are inevitable. If he keeps his nose clean he has the potential to be a great Steelers WR.

drew102e
02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
think hes gonna move to #1 WR this year, or does hines have another year or two in him...

not worried either way, steelers are loaded at WR IMO

Suitanim
02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
He'll be #2 as long as Hines plays...but you'll see more catches every year for Santonio until Hines retires...

ChronoCross
02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Going to be kinda hard to compare the two when Holt has a QB that will throw 40 to 60 times a game and we work towards a split between the run and pass. Holmes will get his but not in the amount like Holt will be thrown at.

verks36
02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Going to be kinda hard to compare the two when Holt has a QB that will throw 40 to 60 times a game and we work towards a split between the run and pass. Holmes will get his but not in the amount like Holt will be thrown at.

Ya that exactly what i was going to say

Holt played for the greatest show on turf where as Holmes plays for well the stillers and I am hoping Tomlin retains the hard nose pound the balll type offense. So i would expect 1600+ yards out of Holmes in along time until hines moves down the depth chart and Roethlisberger proves he can pass

Suitanim
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Bulger is gonna throw 40-60 with Stephen Jackson in the backfield? Nope...

But I appreciate the sentiment...how do you compare Holt and "The greatest show on turf" against the Steelers run first mentality? You don't. But I guarantee that Tory Holt playing on the Steelers his whole career is greatly successful but puts up nowhere near the numbers he did on the Rams.

The Steelers drafted a QB in the top-10 for the first time in a generation, then a Holt-type WR, and have a speedy Barry Sanders-type RB. Cowher's gone...change is good, people. Change is good.

tony hipchest
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM

But I appreciate the sentiment...how do you compare Holt and "The greatest show on turf" against the Steelers run first mentality? You don't. But I guarantee that Tory Holt playing on the Steelers his whole career is greatly successful but puts up nowhere near the numbers he did on the Rams.

The Steelers drafted a QB in the top-10 for the first time in a generation, then a Holt-type WR, and have a speedy Barry Sanders-type RB. Cowher's gone...change is good, people. Change is good.yeah, holt on the steelers would still be a great player, he just wouldnt have the league leading stats to back it up. likewise, im thinking if holmes were drafted 5-6 years ago to the greatest show on turf, he would have the talent and opportunity to put up some league leading numbers.

i think having arians as an o-coord will turn miller (another great, young offensive weapon) into a bit more of a receiver, rather than the 6th lineman, and do a great deal for santonios confidence and development going into the future. i hope im right. now is no time for him to take a step back. make wilson #3 and give the youngster the job.

verks36
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM

The Steelers drafted a QB in the top-10 for the first time in a generation, then a Holt-type WR, and have a speedy Barry Sanders-type RB. Cowher's gone...change is good, people. Change is good.

IDK about you wanting to change out of the run first mentallity. DUde the steelers are known for there hard nose running game. I remember the one year we had plax and ward both have yardage totals in the tap 10 and what was our record....5-11 i think. Still i remember it was bad. The ppassing game isnt the anserwe running game won us the Bowl use the guidline that got u there befoer

tony hipchest
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
IDK about you wanting to change out of the run first mentallity. DUde the steelers are known for there hard nose running game. I remember the one year we had plax and ward both have yardage totals in the tap 10 and what was our record....5-11 i think. Still i remember it was bad. The ppassing game isnt the anserwe running game won us the Bowl use the guidline that got u there befoerim thinking suits point is that the times are changing. if the steelers were married to the 60-40 run to pass ratio, you would think cowher, grimm or whiz would still be around. the rooneys arent gonna give ben a huge contract to do a job batch or another rookie can do.

oh and jerome is gone and willie is a far cry above amos zeoroue. its quite a waste to cultivate holmes, miller, and willie into blocking players and ben into someone whose greatest attribute is handing off.

verks36
02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
im thinking suits point is that the times are changing. if the steelers were married to the 60-40 run to pass ratio, you would think cowher, grimm or whiz would still be around. the rooneys arent gonna give ben a huge contract to do a job batch or another rookie can do.

oh and jerome is gone and willie is a far cry above amos zeoroue. its quite a waste to cultivate holmes, miller, and willie into blocking players and ben into someone whose greatest attribute is handing off.

Good point... I guess well just to see how Tomlins offenseive mentallity is. Ahh i love how you brough up famous Amos he was so awsome but so bad at the same time. I guess you are just saying we should use are strengths instead of using just what we have been doing for the whole cowher era... IDK only time can tell what the steelers coaches decide to do

Suitanim
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking radical change, which translates into a true balance of 50/50 running/passing.

Crushzilla
03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Also, Verks, its hard for us Steeler fans to comprehend drastic changes because we are used to seeing the same coaching staff year after year after year. Just remember, we could be one of those teams that goes through this every 3 years :smile: .

I can only hope Holmes is as freakish as Holt. When he drove the stake into the heart of the Bengal's playoff hopes on the last play of the season it was almost as if he was showing the Steel City that he's gonna be the man in the future.

I'm excited for our young players... on offense... Its imparative we find some on defense (not just the secondary)... But that is for another thread...