PDA

View Full Version : One think I've noticed about Tomlin...

Mosca
02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
In interviews, he tends to say either "men" or "people" rather than "players".

To me, this speaks volumes about why he is liked so much and why I have such strong good feelings about him. Out here as fans we get to thinking about the people as players, as game pieces; he never forgets that they are men that will depend on each other physically, mentally and emotionally for the next several years. I believe that that will be one of the reasons for his success. It's how you get people pulling for you.

Tom

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 09:23 AM
i like his approach too, especially where dealing with people is involved. its a far cry from parcells calling terry glen "she" or constantly referring to TO as "the player".

i think the steelers will respond to this and quickly respect him for it. (not that they didnt respond to cowher or his approach)

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I think it speaks volumes and I do agree with putting so much stock into character when it come to players. But on the other hand and I remember last year having this same type of conversation with members on this site "you don't want a bunch of choir boys either".

But with Adam "Pacman" Jones again getting into trouble and the 9 Bengals that have been arrested in the last year or so. I think character has to count even more.

Livinginthe past
02-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Didn't Cowher have this 'friendly' approach too?

Or did he refer to them as chess pieces?

My guess would be the former, but I could be wrong.

NM

Preacher
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM

My guess would be the former, but I could be wrong.

NM

Yeah, Cowher was friendly, right up until he gave you a spit shower on national television for blowing a play... until last year when the retirement alien took his body!

polamalufan43
02-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, Cowher was friendly, right up until he gave you a spit shower on national television for blowing a play... until last year when the retirement alien took his body!

That image will stay in the 'Burghs mind for awhile. In any case, I feel pretty good with Tomlin as HC, for now.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 06:15 PM

NMnah, youre correct. tomlins approach reminds me alot of cowhers. he will be a hard ass, but definitely know that treating the men like men is gonna be the best, most effective way to go.

i almost think he got the job over both in house assistants because he reminded the rooneys most of cowher.

Fid
02-23-2007, 07:36 PM
in my opinion there is a lot to get excited about when it comes to coach tomlin. i was worried at first. however, the more i read about this guy the more i am excited to see what he does this season. i think the rooney's did there usual and picked a standout guy to take the helm.

rhino
02-24-2007, 03:40 PM
in my opinion there is a lot to get excited about when it comes to coach tomlin. i was worried at first. however, the more i read about this guy the more i am excited to see what he does this season. i think the rooney's did there usual and picked a standout guy to take the helm.

That last rated pass defense still concerns me though. The Steelers have had a major weakness in the secondary since the end of the Rod Woodson days.