PDA

View Full Version : Americas Team- 1979 steelers 8pm est

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 01:54 PM
just a reminder. steelers become 1st team to win 4 sb's against the rams. narrated by ed harris and stallowrth is one of the 3 giving insight.

12+88=6
02-23-2007, 05:18 PM
it also airs at 11:30pm and 3:00am in case you miss it at 8.

those times are eastren of course.

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2007, 05:19 PM
NFL Republican Network I presume?

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 05:47 PM
NFL Republican Network I presume?:sofunny: yeah

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Awesome I'll have to check it out.

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Awesome I'll have to check it out.the sneak peek gave me chicken skinn. it talks about john stallworth taking over after swans early exit because of injury, and the 2 long bombs he caught in the 4th quarter.

the 1st one was on 3rd and 8, and terry called a play that hadnt worked once all week in practice. as the perfect spiral was in the air stallworth was thinking "dammit terry, you overthrew me!" (of course it went for the go ahead td).

2nd one was the exact same play and stallworth says he was underthrown on that one or it woulda been a td! (of course it went for a 50 yd bomb)

i sure miss the days of "the bomb" as an actual playcall that you could see more than once every 2 games.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2007, 06:27 PM
NFL Republican Network I presume?

???

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe we are a team of destiny. I dont know.

-Lynn Swann after their 3rd SB win.

a far cry from all the modern day teams that immediately declare themselves "teams of destiny".

excellent story from cleveland naitive john banaszcak signing with the steelers and his brownfan dad hanging up on him upon hearing the news. :chuckle:

how can lc greenwood not be anyones favorite steeler after this??? or stallworth??? or etc.??? greenwood deserves to be in the hall of fame based off his comments on roger staubach alone.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Stallworth's catches sure are pretty, the guy was money. I enjoyed hearing the players little stories behind the games. LC had a couple good ones he was cracking himself up. Would love to pluck the 70's Swann and Stallworth and drop them on a field in 2007 and watch what happens.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
the sneak peek gave me chicken skinn. it talks about john stallworth taking over after swans early exit because of injury, and the 2 long bombs he caught in the 4th quarter.

the 1st one was on 3rd and 8, and terry called a play that hadnt worked once all week in practice. as the perfect spiral was in the air stallworth was thinking "dammit terry, you overthrew me!" (of course it went for the go ahead td).

2nd one was the exact same play and stallworth says he was underthrown on that one or it woulda been a td! (of course it went for a 50 yd bomb)

i sure miss the days of "the bomb" as an actual playcall that you could see more than once every 2 games.

I think some of the reasons we don't see the bomb like in the old days is QB's don't have the guts like Bradshaw did to throw the bomb and coaches are to scared of turning the ball over anymore. All this check down shit and trying to avoid mistakes is getting old. Trust me I don't want to see bombs all day but like you said Tony it would be nice to see it more often.

I hear people all the time knock Terry's career TD to INT ratio. I think it plus +2. But man Terry just thought he could make any throw and he had the guts to make those type of throws.

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2007, 09:14 PM
???

You know the NFL, the big greedy Corp. NFL Network isn't abailable everywhere. so, I match it with the Republicans, they only cater to a certain few. And I'm not 1 of them.:flap:

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Another great program - IMHO some of the best interviews have been of the secondary players (Wagner, Banaszak, Bill Bates on the 1993 Cowboys team last night) who contributed but have not had the opportunity to tell their stories as often.

You always learn something new from these shows - never knew Stallworth was paralyzed for 2 weeks as a kid and had forgotten all the injuries to the 1979 team (yep - they were getting old and the end was near)

Leaving aside the obvious role of salary cap, a tough part of staying on top today is being pecked to death with sports talk and the Internet. 1979 was my last year in the Burgh, but after the Bengals blowout loss (I was at Game 5 of the Series later that day and remember the general reaction was a shrug and WTF was that?) and the Chargers blowout, about all you would get in those days was a few minutes of highlights, Myron doing about 1 minute on the 11 o'clock Sunday night news on WTAE about what he thought, and Myron's show from 7-8 on the radio during the week. If a defending champ had 2 blowout losses like that today you would have the sky falling and players being forced to respond to all the chatter. Instead, the '79 team was allowed to have Noll tell them to deal with it and move on.

Final thought - with today's rules that 1979 offense would leave Peyton's Colts in the dust.

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the review Dan.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
You know the NFL, the big greedy Corp. NFL Network isn't abailable everywhere. so, I match it with the Republicans, they only cater to a certain few. And I'm not 1 of them.:flap:

Thanks for the explanation.:smile:

I am not going to hold out a tin cup for the NFL, but part of the problem is that Comcast and Time Warner want to put the NFL Network on a separate tier of sports channels where you would pay extra for it and a lot of other crap you would not want. This is a battle between greedy and greedier.

Do you have trees that block the satellite? Get a dish and DirecTV if you can.

fansince'76
02-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Would love to pluck the 70's Swann and Stallworth and drop them on a field in 2007 and watch what happens.

I would LOVE to see the 70's Lambert on the field today and have someone like T.O. celebrate a first down in front of him. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the review Dan.definitely a great review dan. i didnt realize the steelers led the league in t.o's that year 52 (or 53)???:jawdrop:

yet going off of blackngoldforever32's comments, the steelers just werent afraid to make them or take chances. terry was allowed to play like a river boat gambler, and with that defense, and the offenses skill, he shouldve been. how it didnt drive chuck noll into retirement 5 -10 years sooner is a testament to him.

the closest thing i can think of that balls to the wall style of play is the "greatest show on turf" rams under martz. definitely nailbiting fun stuff to watch.

9 t.o.'s against the bungles??? :dang: i couldnt believe that. noll was right. you almost have to be throwing a game away to turn it over that many times.

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2007, 09:47 PM
For those of us who were there at the time, another good feature was weaving in the 1979 Bucs winning the Series that fall into the program. I still have my SI issue when Bradshaw and Stargell were on the cover as co-Sportsmen of the Year, which was in the show.

Tone - did you catch the shot of Stargell sitting upstairs in seats in the end zone at TRS for the AFC Championship? LOL!

Can you imagine the captain of the Series champs and SI Sportsman of the Year (back when that was a big deal) getting stuck with those sort of seats today? Further evidence that times have changed.

It was an odd time in the Burgh; champs in the two major sports and U.S. Steel closing a number of plants that winter as the steel industry was going into its final plunge.

tony hipchest
02-23-2007, 10:47 PM
For those of us who were there at the time, another good feature was weaving in the 1979 Bucs winning the Series that fall into the program. I still have my SI issue when Bradshaw and Stargell were on the cover as co-Sportsmen of the Year, which was in the show.

Tone - did you catch the shot of Stargell sitting upstairs in seats in the end zone at TRS for the AFC Championship? LOL!

Can you imagine the captain of the Series champs and SI Sportsman of the Year (back when that was a big deal) getting stuck with those sort of seats today? Further evidence that times have changed.

It was an odd time in the Burgh; champs in the two major sports and U.S. Steel closing a number of plants that winter as the steel industry was going into its final plunge.if theres one old sports illustrated issue i wish i had, it is that one. ive seen it before, but when they showed it, my 1st thought was how much it would cost on e-bay.

lol when i saw stargell in the seats, i initially thought it was mel blount! what a year that mustve been. definitely shows how the pittsburgh fans have so much pride. with local industry crumbling there was still something to be happy about and look forward to.

it was cool to see the old footage of kent tekulve and chuck tanner. i always visited pittsburgh during the summer so always saw the dying years of the pirates rather than the steelers. damn tanner aged quick!

funny how these 'americas game' shows only seem to last 10-15 minutes. a 4 hour version on 1 year would never get boring. and i totally agree with the secondary players viewpoints being so poignant. (even w/ cowboys such as b. bates) the stuff from grossman and banaszac was great. although the stuff from greenwood and d. white was epic.

steelerbackr4life
02-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation.:smile:

I am not going to hold out a tin cup for the NFL, but part of the problem is that Comcast and Time Warner want to put the NFL Network on a separate tier of sports channels where you would pay extra for it and a lot of other crap you would not want. This is a battle between greedy and greedier.

Do you have trees that block the satellite? Get a dish and DirecTV if you can.

Yeah Dom get direct tv and use me as a referal so I can get 50 bucks off my bill. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
02-24-2007, 12:08 AM
important to note that the 79 steelers were the last championship team where every player was homegrown by the steelers; every player on that team had not played for any other team but the steelers.

stallworth reflects:

"the question is, is did we draft them or did we make them?" we were always able to draft good players but we were always able to mold them into what we needed them to be.

interresting how those teams never say it was the coaches who made the players, or the players who made the coaches.... it is always "we".

greenwood raising his gold shoes into the air after tackles, to distingush himself from green is hilarious.

yinzer-inseattle
02-24-2007, 12:41 PM
One of my favorite parts of the show was on John Banaszak. How he became a Steeler and how he rose from an undrafted free agent to become a starter on a line with All Pro/ HOF talent.

My favorite Banaszak story was his recount of the call he had with his dad (a Brownie fan) to tell him he had made the 75' team. Supposedly, Banaszak Sr. didn't say a word and just hung up the phone. JB called his dad back. This time his dad talked with him and said "how am I going to tell your mother?" This is a story that only Steelers and Brown fans can truly relate to. I really enjoyed this segment on the 79 Steelers because it gave me some insight on three players (Greenwood, Banaszak and Stallworth) that I did not have previously. I also liked the tie in with the 79 Pirates.

This show was very well done. A must see.