PDA

View Full Version : So Steeler fans..........

Livinginthe past
02-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Its early days in the new administration and most people seem satisfied with what Tomlin has brought to the table so far, though they are mostly intangibles.

The Steelers dont have a great deal of salary cap room (with or without Porter), have a new coaching staff and are looking at a transitional stage in terms of defensive formation/philosophy.

The question is - what would be a miminum acceptable record for Tomlins 1st year in charge?

NM

Stainless Steel
02-24-2007, 07:21 AM
There are so many factors involved here, I would hate to assign a number. i.e. If Ben has another accident and another surgery, I would be OK with 5. If all conditions are good, I would expect a minimum of 8 wins.

In other words, Tomlin is only one factor to consider.

Livinginthe past
02-24-2007, 07:46 AM
There are so many factors involved here, I would hate to assign a number. i.e. If Ben has another accident and another surgery, I would be OK with 5. If all conditions are good, I would expect a minimum of 8 wins.

In other words, Tomlin is only one factor to consider.

Lets assume Ben isn't going to have another major accident this year.

Imagine that injury factors are average with about what is expected across the league, and that the Steelrs dont suffer from a rookie holdout or anything like that.

All things being relatively even, what minimum record would make you think 'Tomlin has done an ok job this year'?

NM

stillers4me
02-24-2007, 08:15 AM
I think he has to improve on last year........there's no reason why we should have 8 or less wins.

Stainless Steel
02-24-2007, 08:46 AM

Imagine that injury factors are average with about what is expected across the league, and that the Steelrs dont suffer from a rookie holdout or anything like that.

All things being relatively even, what minimum record would make you think 'Tomlin has done an ok job this year'?

NMOK. I'll bite on that one. No major injuries.... I'd say 8 wins. He has a lot of work to do if he has less than eight. Some assistant coaches will need to go.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-24-2007, 09:37 AM
I'll give him a minimum of 8 wins this year.

klick81
02-24-2007, 11:10 AM
I understand that too much should not be expected, but come on. Anything less than a .500 record would be dissapointing.

Mosca
02-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow, seriously I would think 8 wins would be unacceptable. 10 was the number I was thinking of.

Why not? If any talented team got a new coach the year after they missed the playoffs, would 8 wins be acceptable? Nope. We may not be last year's Colts, but we are still 2005's Steelers.

Tom

tony hipchest
02-24-2007, 11:45 AM
this poll needs a few more options. 10 win minimum. having no cap room just means weve already spent our money on alot of good people. once other teams spend all their cap room they will feel they are on equal ground with us.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Well both the Saints and Jets had first time HC's and both teams didn't have the talent the Steelers do. They both made the play-offs last year. Lets not forget the Steelers are only a year removed from a Super Bowl and really still have much of the same team as they did in 2005.

So I really don't see this as 5-7 win team. I would have made the from 8-11 wins. Its still far to early to make predictions for the season. But if the players buy what Coach Tomlin is selling the Steelers will win the AFC North. Mark it down.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
I edited the poll because I know there are some of you who(like me most of the time) don't find anything below 9 wins acceptable.

X-Terminator
02-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Sheesh, way to put pressure on the new guy.

I can already see the wolves circling their prey...

tony hipchest
02-24-2007, 12:29 PM
since 1970, the steelers have only had as few wins as 5 ONE TIME! (in 1988) i cant believe 5 wins minimum is even an option. no matter who the new coach is, who gets in an accident, or what the salary cap is, 5 wins is definitely not acceptable. never has been. never will be.

Stlrs4Life
02-24-2007, 12:29 PM
9+, cause the standards are pretty high here in Pittsburgh. He is expected to attain this goal.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Sheesh, way to put pressure on the new guy.

I can already see the wolves circling their prey...

I'm not putting pressure on anyone if the Steelers have a bad year they have a bad year. I willing to give Tomlin some slack for a few years. All I'm saying the Jets and Saints both made the play-offs with first time HC's and they didn't have the talent the Steelers have.

If the players buy into Tomlin from the start this team should be a contendar for a play-off spot. Forone I don't expect all the turn overs to happen again.

steel#1
02-24-2007, 12:38 PM
I recognize that I am a member of a very spoiled fan base who is used to the Steelers making the playoffs. That being said, that's what I expect. Not only were the Steelers Superbowl winners last year but the year before that they were 15-1. We have way to much talent to be a 500 team. I expect Tomlin to reenergize the team, tweek what needs tweeked, and the players to be hungry after the fiasco that was last year. Everyone is predisposed to place the blame on Roethlisberger's accident. I, however, don't think it is that simple. People forget that the only experienced WR was really Hines Ward, Ben never got his timing down with the others until late in the year. The o-line was inconsistant at best. And while I like Parker the running game was also inconsistant, especially on the road. We never got any TE production, they were to busy helping to block. The LB's were hurt quite a bit and never got a pass rush. Plus Troy Palamolu was hurt way too much last year, and in my eyes, he is the QB of the defense. How he goes, the defense goes. If we clear up these areas we should be fine. Oh, and get a new punter so that we can have better field position.

tony hipchest
02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
9+, cause the standards are pretty high here in Pittsburgh. He is expected to attain this goal.the steelers have only been below .500 7 times since 1970. since noll, bradshaw, and mean joe came together the standards have been forever raised.

i dont think many teams fans realize that going through a transition in pittsburgh doesnt mean going 1-15 one season, 3-13 the next and then 7-9. that may work in other football towns like frisco, dallas, indy, ny, or new england, but we went that route 37 years ago. im pretty sure the rooneys arent ever gonna go that route again.

stillers4me
02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Tomlin called last season's 8-8 a failure. I don't think he will find anything less than 10 wins acceptable for a Steeler team one year out from the Superbowl. I have a gut feeling he's set the bar high for himself and every player wearing a Steeler uniform.

fansince'76
02-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Everything I have heard and read about Tomlin so far I like, however, I still expect growing pains. I will accept (but I definitely won't like) a 6-10 record for the first year.

DACEB
02-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow, seriously I would think 8 wins would be unacceptable. 10 was the number I was thinking of.

That's what I came up with looking at the schedule. 10 wins :tt02:

tony hipchest
02-24-2007, 06:53 PM
even though this poll was boarderline smack and inherrently flawed by not initially including anything above 8 wins...

anyone who voted for 7 or less wins must remember that we are not the bungles where an 8-8 season is looked at as acceptable or an improvement. anything below 10 wins and/or the playoffs next season will find alot of people w/o jobs with the steelers after 08 (and i dont think it will be tomlin)

fansince'76
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
even though this poll was boarderline smack and inherrently flawed by not initially including anything above 8 wins...

anyone who voted for 7 or less wins must remember that we are not the bungles where an 8-8 season is looked at as acceptable or an improvement. anything below 10 wins and/or the playoffs next season will find alot of people w/o jobs with the steelers after 08 (and i dont think it will be tomlin)

The way I see it, Tony, is that this team as it stands has too much talent to win less than 10 games unless it woefully underachieves again as it did this past season. If that happens, then some players should rightfully be sent packing. However, we are getting a new HC and as I said earlier I do expect some growing pains. It's a hard call right now.

tony hipchest
02-24-2007, 07:04 PM
The way I see it, Tony, is that this team as it stands has too much talent to win less than 10 games unless it woefully underachieves again as it did this past season. If that happens, then some players should rightfully be sent packing. However, we are getting a new HC and as I said earlier I do expect some growing pains. It's a hard call right now.we see eye to eye. the way cowher, grimm, and whiz, along with several assistants were shown the door should send a clear message to EVERYBODY that another 8-8 season is not acceptable.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I didn't vote since 12 wins wasn't an option.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2007, 09:45 PM
I didn't vote since 12 wins wasn't an option.

I edited in a 9+ option which means 9 wins or more.

SteelCityMan786
02-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Tomlin called last season's 8-8 a failure. I don't think he will find anything less than 10 wins acceptable for a Steeler team one year out from the Superbowl. I have a gut feeling he's set the bar high for himself and every player wearing a Steeler uniform.

I hope he did. I like a coach that challenges himself.

SteelShooter
02-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Well both the Saints and Jets had first time HC's and both teams didn't have the talent the Steelers do. They both made the play-offs last year. Lets not forget the Steelers are only a year removed from a Super Bowl and really still have much of the same team as they did in 2005.

So I really don't see this as 5-7 win team. I would have made the from 8-11 wins. Its still far to early to make predictions for the season. But if the players buy what Coach Tomlin is selling the Steelers will win the AFC North. Mark it down.

:helmet: Ditto Bro! :thumbsup:

NV STEELERS 723
02-25-2007, 01:28 AM

NM

I know one of the wins we will get this year........ it will be against New England .....other than that we should go 12-4 and win our 6th Super Bowl.

aussiesteelers
02-25-2007, 07:46 AM
For me, making the playoffs is a realistic goal so for me the the only acceptable outcome is playoffs. Whether it is 8 wins or 10 does not matter. What matters is january football.

Livinginthe past
02-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Well it looks like Steeler nation is in confident mood for next year - I imagine that will only improve after the draft.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Well it looks like Steeler nation is in confident mood for next year - I imagine that will only improve after the draft.

NM

LOL....dont count on that LITP...I still have Jamain Stephens nightmares!!!

HometownGal
02-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Talking MINIMUM wins, I'm going with 8, though I believe this team (as it stands) is quite capable of winning 10+. I'm not going to set unbelievably high standards for Tomlin in his first season, due to all of the coaching changes and giving the staff an opportunity to gel together. There is going to be an adjustment period with the team, as well, and hopefully they'll accomplish this in camp.

LarryNJ
02-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Of course it's 9+. It doesn't matter if you think they will win that many or not. Anything less than 9 wins won't get them in the playoffs. We aren't in the NFC. Anything less than than making the playoffs is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE new coach or not. It's easy Mike, just win.