PDA

View Full Version : Cowher??

jack4patriots
01-23-2005, 08:13 PM
I was talking to a friend and fellow Pats fan and was telling him about this website. He was lovin' all your responses to my posts. He was gonna sign-up but then decided the website would probably disappear after the Steelers lose tonight!

But seriously, he wants to know what the Steeler fans really think of coach Cowher. Do you guys support him as a coach?

Jack

14THUMB
01-24-2005, 02:01 AM
cowher is a great coach he will lead us to glory and all the doubters can kiss my ass

Prosdo
01-24-2005, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't have anyone else leading us. He's a great coach.

dlg195
01-24-2005, 02:33 AM
It's all about the jaw, baby!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Cowher is my man ,you cant discredit what he has done for us. I'll stick by him, but right now, its hard to look at this season and reflect..

its just too hard..

joedv1218
01-24-2005, 02:41 AM
We Love Billy Boy! My avatar says it all!

Bruno43
Cowher power baby! Wouldnt be the same without em :)

Terrible_Tom
How can you be on the 3 yard line with a chance to bring the score within 7 and not go for it. It is too bad that Coward did not have a little more confidence in his own offence than that. Besides, what would we have to lose at that point. Even if they would not have got the TD the Patsies would have had to take it from the 1 or 2 yard line, making a chance for a safety, giving us the ball back. Instead, all the momentum was taken away from the team at probably the last opportunity we had.

COWARD gave up on this team way too early.

Fk Cowher!! Choke Choke Choke Choke!!!!!!!!!!!

ironcitychef
01-24-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm still behind the man. Especially becuase he is what the organization wants in a coach. Love the city, love the players, give it all you got. It would have taken more than that goal line call to help us tonight. I watched the drive after that field goal and NE was beating our d-line off the ball. I think by that point it was too much. I can't say enough about a man who has won with Bubby, Neil, Kordell, Tommy, and Ben. A man who produces rushers like Hoge, Foster, Morris, Bettis, Zeroue, Staley, and Haynes. To have a majority of your staff become coaches speaks volumes as well. Lets see how it goes after Belichek loses his staff this year, then compare.

shevdog
01-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Cowher Power!

He is a solid coach. He has Iron City character! He knows how to get good coaches under him. He builds solid teams that work like teams, not with dominating stars as the focal point. He plays very conservatively, always with tricks in the game plan. He is better than Belliceck, since in the 13 years at the burgh he has had 2 or 3 bad seasons. (I do admit that Belliceck is a good coach too). Of course his success is not glofied by the press, since he hasn't won the big ones yet.

I have seen Cowher go for a lot of 4th and short plays all season. Even in Super Bowl XXX he went for a 4th and 1, which they did not convert. I was shocked that he did not go for a 4th and goal, being down so many points. At that point it would have been the true comeback the Steelers needed. If they have another quarter left, then that conservative call made sense. That was very unCowher-like, yet I get why he did it.

In both the Jets and Patriots games, there were times the Steelers should have ran, yet passed. Those calls were less Cowher's, yet less characteristic of the "shove it down their throat" style of run strategy.

In the 2003-04 season, that was very uncharacterist for Cowher, probably just an experiment. I love tough defenses and tough running games. I do admit I liked seeing th passing game open up in 2003-04. Just stunk that the secondary was the big hole in the team that year. Kansas City opened it up and everyone threw down the weak middle. All that aside, I am hoping that Cowher can develop some outstanding pass packages that will compliment the running game. That would keep defenses on their toes. Not that New England has an awesome running game, yet they have a running threat that compliments their passing game. (Or something like that). That kept countless teams' defenses busy.

I expect Cowher to be a 20 year coach with the Steelers, retiring as a Steeler. That gives him 7 years to win at least 4 Super Bowls to match Chuck Noll!

Cowher power will get the job done!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2005, 06:17 PM
The Rooney's find their guy and they stick with him, through thick and thin..Cowher will be here for a good lone time yet.

ironcitychef
01-27-2005, 11:52 PM
Lets go to the tape:

CATEGORY: NOLL COWHER

Seasons 23 13
Winning Seasons 16(69.56%) 10(76.92%)
Division Titles 9 8
Post Season Games 24(16 W, 8 L) 17(8 W, 9 L)
Super Bowl Games 4(4 wins) 1(1 loss)

I think if you take Belichick out of the equation, I think the man with the shortest unemployment in the NFL would be our Coach Cowher. You would be crazy not to have him be your coach. I also don't like this hasn't won the big one talk. He has only been to the big one once. All the rest are leading up to it. There are 31 coaches every year that don't win the big one. How many give their team a chance to win it every year? Look how the polish has come off Gruden and the Bucs. But Cowher can retool, recoach, rebuild, rejuvinate, etc. to make the Steelers competitive every year. SF, DAL, MIA all had seasons with less than 4 wins and they are elite teams. Its been 36 years since the Steelers had less than 4 wins. So don't look at Bill and say He wasted the talent on that team, look and say how did he ever get those guys to play so well. Also, Noll won 4 SB in 6 years, Belichick could get 3 in 4. Could Bill coach another 6 years? Absolutely, so it ain't out of the question.

JerseySTEEL
01-29-2005, 12:25 AM
i dont care how many times le lost, Bc Bill is the man and a even greater coach!

steelbuc
01-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I am new to this site, but I figure just jump right in.

I too, love Cowher. However, I will no longer blindly support him. But, you can't get rid a coach who just went 15-1. With the Rooney's I believe we are stuck with Bill until at least 2010. I want you to remember where you heard this: Cowher will leave on his own after year 20 - no matter the situation. A little piece of trivia from CNNSI: No coach has ever won a Super Bowl after year 6 with a team if he didn't win one in the first 6 years.

Anyway he has major shortcomings. Most people said "game over" after the lame-brain field goal in the 4th. I said "game over" on the Bus' fumble. What that play told me was Bill was going to call this game like every AFC Championship - no creativity. With the number of people focused on the Bus and the fact that Belichick, through film study, knew the Steelers NEVER QB sneak or naked bootleg that would have been a great time for either. DO NOT run right up the middle at their strength. If Ben would have rolled out to his left - he'd still be running. Don't give me this crap that we had to impose our will. Our will should have been to win this game not to show we can establish a running game. This is the AFC Champoinship, EVERYONE knows we can run.

Now, what does Cowher see that he says this is just the beginning of something special?
Has he seen our schedule next year? Not favorable. Burress is probably gone. The Bus may be. And I LOVE Ben, but EVERY QB takes a step back in year 2 {even Brady did} plus teams will have a year's worth of game film on him. Our CB are lacking. Do you think he go after someone like Smoot in FA? No. Coclough and Taylor better develop quickly.

Don't get me wrong I have been a Steelers fan for 30 years and justified Cowher emphatically - until this loss. As I did John Cooper @ Ohio State. But after so long you have to realize, as Cowher is so fond of saying, "it is what it is". And what it is, is Cowher is a great coach, from the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree. Do I need say any more.

I realize Cowher is here for the long haul and I pray that one day he gets us over the hump, but as the years and opportunities build so does the pressure. So I am resigned to backing them every year and at the end do my annual vent and move on.

ironcitychef
01-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Saw this on si.com from Dr. Z. You gotta love someone who has been around the game that long and knows their stuff.

The DBs always look like donkeys when the rush doesn't get there and the passer has an hour. Cowher? Ah, leave the poor guy alone. They used to say Tom Landry couldn't win the big one. And then Don Shula. The franchise is in good shape. Pittsburgh will win something ... sometime. Have yourself a pirogi and a nice glass of pivo and forget it -- for now.

steeler851
01-31-2005, 07:55 AM
This question still amazes me, especially in the aftermath of our horrid
loss to the Patsies. A coach like Cowher is the foundation of a solid football
PROGRAM, rather than just having a football team. If not Cowher, then how
do you explain the success achieved with the budget he has been allotted over
more than a decade. I'm painfully aware that he hasn't won the big game yet,
but we're close, very close. I live in Cincinnati and my friends here all talk about
how they wish they could have a coach like Cowher for their Ben-girls.

gaudjr
01-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Cowher is a great coach. Like all individauls he comes with flaws. My major complaint with his coaching style is the fact that he seems unable to adjust "on the fly" in big games. The playoffs, as everybody involved with the NFL has told us, is different that the regular season. This means what worked from September to December might not work in January. Steelers opponents for the last couple have years have stacked the line of scrimmage and dared the Steelers to win in the passing game. You would think that Cowher would go into a game, especially the AFCCG, with a contingency game plan that included some short dump passes or slants. This just doesn't seem to happen until the game is out of reach and the opposing defense slacks up a bit. The Steelers were able to wear teams down with a constant running attack. Only problem, the adreneline level in January precludes a team from wearing down as quickly. All the players know it's lose and go home time. COWHER NEEDS TO BE A LITTLE MORE FLEXIBLE TO CHANGE DURING BIG GAMES. My humble opinion of course - take it with a grain of salt as I will never be in a position of authority in the NFL.

ironcitychef
02-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Interested in seeing how much more of the play book they open up next year for Ben.

bigbensgirl7
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
The Steelers are Cowher's team, and we wouldn't have it any other way!!!!

GO STEELERS

shevdog
02-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Saw this on si.com from Dr. Z. You gotta love someone who has been around the game that long and knows their stuff.

The DBs always look like donkeys when the rush doesn't get there and the passer has an hour. Cowher? Ah, leave the poor guy alone. They used to say Tom Landry couldn't win the big one. And then Don Shula. The franchise is in good shape. Pittsburgh will win something ... sometime. Have yourself a pirogi and a nice glass of pivo and forget it -- for now.

I definately agree!

ironcitychef
02-08-2005, 11:34 AM
I always like to watch Cowher coach the Pro Bowl. He gets so into it. Deep passes. Trick plays, its like sandlot. Wish he could loose like that in the post season. Maybe he just needs to put a hawaiiian shirt over the sweater come January.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2005, 11:24 AM
as great as it will be seeing the Steelers coaching staff in the pro bowl...damn it would have been nice to see them last week! :o

atlsteelers
02-09-2005, 11:54 AM
what a suprise, colbert and the rooneys work so hard at getting the talent and cowher is so good at wasting it

ironcitychef
02-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I know we have come up short on numerous occasions, but wasting talent? How about getting Ward in the third round? Randle El (qb) now maybe #2 WR?
Stealing Farrior away from the Jets. Getting Williams for next to nothing htis year and having him play big all year. I think we overachieve our talent sometimes.

CowherLover
02-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Hello everyone! Sorry about the hiatus, but I'm baaaaaaack! Anyone that can call themselves a fan and dawg out our leader needs to reconsider their allegiance! See ya next year bandwagon fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ironcitychef
02-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Just for the record, Cowher is now 4-0 in the Pro Bowl.

Mr.Otstott
02-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I have been going on many Steeler message boards and have noticed people calling them selfs Steeler fans...But then want to b*tch about the team, and talk sh** about the team. Some fans you are! :/

clevestinks
02-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Cowhers is one of us, grew up bleeding black & gold.
Long live the Steelers.
Long live coach Cowher.