PDA

View Full Version : Does Ward need a new agent?

Stlrs4Life
08-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I know this is from Profootballtalk....but there is no insider source, just some observations (article about agent's holding players out):

The biggest current culprit in this regard is Eugene Parker, who has developed a reputation for inaction in his efforts, or lack thereof, to get contracts for his clients.

Case in point -- the Hines Ward negotiations, or lack thereof. Ward abruptly reported to camp on Monday night, amid reports by ESPN's Chris Mortensen of a looming deal worth a whopping $19 million to $20 million in guaranteed money. Since then, nothing. Zip. Zilch-a-reno.

Why? Despite the propensity of some to criticize the organization for being frugal, the reality is that the Steelers spend their money under the cap, year in and year out. And the Steelers are ready to pay Ward. If Parker would only negotiate.

Case in point number two -- the Cedric Benson negotiations, or lack thereof. Benson is the sole remaining unsigned first-round pick. The Bears spent hours talking to Parker last Saturday in an effort to get the deal done, and the team put its best offer on the table. Since then, nothing. Jack squat. Diddly sh-t.

Why? Parker has made no effort to continue the dialogue.

Case in point number three -- Corey Simon, franchise-tagged defensive tackle for the Eagles. A league source tells us that the Eagles recently had an opportunity to ship Simon to the Ravens, and that Baltimore was willing to pay Simon a contract in line with the Marcus Stroud/Shaun Rogers market for interior linemen. But Parker and his colleague, Roosevelt Barnes, set a minimum ceiling for discussions well above market value, and as a result no meaningful discussions occurred.

This standoffish approach simply isn't conducive to getting deals done. And teams are taking an increasingly dim view of agents who employ inactivity as a means for getting top dollar.

One league insider explained to us that Parker successfully employed the "sit and wait" approach several years back with linebacker Andre Wadsworth, a high first-round pick of the Cardinals. Parker waited and waited and waited some more and finally the Cards coughed up more money than they should have.

Article #2:

Speaking of Eugene Parker, it appears that one of his other clients, Steelers receiver Hines Ward, is getting frustrated with Parker's lack of action toward getting a long-term deal negotiated for the four-time Pro Bowler.

Said Ward on Thursday: "Let's sit down in a room, lock everybody up and don't come out until a deal's done. What's the harm in that? It takes one day."

Joe Starkey of The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review speculates that this statement from Ward indicates that the wideout terminated his holdout against Parker's advice. And we agree.

So even though it was reported when Ward joined the team on Monday night that a deal would be in place by the end of the week, Ward is a day away from his preseason debut -- and there's no evidence that a deal is even close to happening.

And the Steelers don't plan to keep Ward out of Saturday night's game against Miami, despite the reality that a serious injury suffered by Ward could, for all practical purposes, prompt the Steelers to back away from the bargaining table. Permanently.

"I get hurt, I lose everything," Ward said.

Regardless, coach Bill Cowher plans to put Ward on the field.

"He'll play," Cowher said. "I don't know how much, but he'll play."

Our advice to Parker? Get your ass on a plane -- NOW -- and get that deal done before Hines walks onto the field on Saturday night. If you don't, you might end up needing 20 or more of those $1 million malpractice policies.

So.....was it the Steelers fault? Was it Ward's fault? Could all the issues be tied to an agent that is unwilling to negotiate?

SteelerSal
08-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Does Ward need a new agent?

Agent > :chair: < Ward ! Thats my answer.

SteelCityMan786
08-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Your answer is good Sal.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Parker has had a long term good relationship w/ the Steelers..this lack of progress surprises me. It's like we're taking about the Poston brothers here or anything.

Although, Rooney II said they meet on a daily basis for a meeting, so this will probably be one of those deals where all of the sudden, bam its done and nobody knew anything about the numbers.

figg
08-21-2005, 11:45 PM
Parker has had a long term good relationship w/ the Steelers..this lack of progress surprises me. It's like we're taking about the Poston brothers here or anything.

Although, Rooney II said they meet on a daily basis for a meeting, so this will probably be one of those deals where all of the sudden, bam its done and nobody knew anything about the numbers.

Looks like a deal is close. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05234/557911.stm

figg
08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_366082.html

Prosdo
08-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Looks like a deal is close. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05234/557911.stm

That is news I love to hear. The only news that could top it is the news of his deal being signed. Thanks for the link Figg.