PDA

View Full Version : WHIZ TALKS ABOUT BIG BEN

Stainless Steel
02-25-2007, 08:19 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07056/764910-66.stm

I was saying this last year. His throws were off and he looked scared. Finally, someone that was in the know admits it. He was suffering, as many of us would, the effects of the accident, etc. and was not at his best.

HometownGal
02-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Wiz confirmed what I think a lot of us here believed all along - that the accident and everything that happened after - caused some emotional trauma to Ben that it took him almost the entire season, which is quite understandable, given all that the guy went through in a very short period of time.

Here's to Ben conquering those inner demons and returning to his 2005 form! :cheers: :tt02:

polamalufan43
02-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I think while that he deserved some constrcutive critizism to his poor performance, he might have gotten just a little too much. The guy probably was emotionally shaken after the accident, and who wouldn't be? Plus with all the other operations and crap he went through, it's a surprise that he even played last season.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

TackleMeBen
02-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I think while that he deserved some constrcutive critizism to his poor performance, he might have gotten just a little too much. The guy probably was emotionally shaken after the accident, and who wouldn't be? Plus with all the other operations and crap he went through, it's a surprise that he even played last season.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I totally agree.. We all know that he is some type of mutant to come back from all that in the short amount of time he did. :bouncy:

SteelersTilIDie
02-25-2007, 09:53 AM
he was definitely struggling because of the crash and the appendix.

Stainless Steel
02-25-2007, 09:53 AM
That's why I laugh at those who were saying Ben was washed up. They were only wishing he was. I too wish Ben well in recovering mentally from all he faced last year.

Stlrs4Life
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Sooner or later stuff will come out in the wash.

PisnNapalm
02-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Sure those event changed Ben. But as yo9u saw toward the end of the season he got some of that swagger back.

Ben will be good to go this coming season. He's my QB. The only one I want for the job.

ajs8207
02-25-2007, 06:07 PM
As the season went on, he seemed to get better. Hopefully he will have a safe off season and come to training camp better than ever.

NV STEELERS 723
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Ben will be back in 07....he'll kinda be hard to stop!!!

Indy_Steelers
02-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I think that it only took Ben half of the season to recover. I know it was not all him but we did finish 6-2 and the finish against the browns in game 1 and the Bengals in game 2 were good signs of his toughness.

SteelCzar76
02-25-2007, 07:54 PM
In a perfect world,.....we could address our glaring needs in the secondary, DE, WR, possesion RB AND,.......walk away with Qb Drew Stanton.
That pretty much sums up where i'm at in regards to "Golden Boy".(Ben) Yeah i know,.....he's the second coming of Bradshaw or Marino. (As long as he doesn't make more than 15 passing attempts) LMAO
But i'm weary of all the excuses. I have yet to hear from Ben "You know what,....i just simply didn't play well at all this year,..and cost the team more than a few wins". "I need to improve many aspects of my game."
"And i will dedicate all of my time and resources to doing so this offseason"

OneForTheToe
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
I thought Ben started to look like his old self in the second half of the first Cleveland game. It was the first time he seemed to throw himself all in both physically and mentally.

He was a Stud in the second half of that game.

OneForTheToe
02-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Glaring needs at RB, DE and QB?

NV STEELERS 723
02-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Not QB.......

SteelCzar76
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Glaring needs at RB, DE and QB?

Glaring need for a 'POSSESION RB' to compliment Willie. Keisel is not the answer and yes,..."Golden Boy's" game was suspect even prior to his tulmultuous times at the beginning of this past season. (Note that in the history of the game never has a 'Great' QB been considered as such as long as he doesn't throw the ball more than 15 to 20 times a game)

Bottom line Ben has talent and can be good. But,...he is not and never has been an elite passer. Yes it seems that he is our future,.....but i wouldn't mind having a 'contingency plan' so to speak in terms of another Qb on the roster with some youth and upside.

OneForTheToe
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Personally, I think Keisel played well this year. As for Ben, I don't what else he could have done his first two years .............

I think our O'line and LB'er core are the bigger glaring needs.

tony hipchest
02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Bottom line Ben has talent and can be good. But,...he is not and never has been an elite passer. Yes it seems that he is our future,.....but i wouldn't mind having a 'contingency plan' so to speak in terms of another Qb on the roster with some youth and upside.i think the only thing hurting ben is that his dad wasnt a pro qb or hs head coach and he didnt play the position since he was 5 years old like the rivers, mannings, or penningtons of the league.

ben still has alot to learn and his potential upside has yet to be tapped. this will be his 8th year playing the position. most qb's entering the league have played it for 10 years atleast, before even turning pro.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Bottom line Ben has talent and can be good. But,...he is not and never has been an elite passer.

He's still the best we've had at the position since Bradshaw by a country mile. And I wonder why there was a 26-year gap between SB wins....

SteelCzar76
02-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Personally, I think Keisel played well this year. As for Ben, I don't what else he could have done his first two years .............

I think our O'line and LB'er core are the bigger glaring needs.

I agree that Keisel is 'solid'. But he's not an 'elite' player and does'nt give us the same 'pressure' that Kimo did. Sure he's athletic,....but almost a non factor in regards to pass rush.
I think the O-lines lack of productivity is also being blown out of proportion. (with the exception of Starks) Once again,.... a great deal of their supposed shortcomings stemmed from Ben being 'gun shy', throwing poor balls and or making poor decisions. (With the exceptions of the games against the Rat's and Jags)
As well as the fact that Willie is just simply a different type of runner than they're used to blocking for. This is no knock on either of their parts,....but moreso a matter of coaches not making the proper adjustments in regards to scheme.
I also don't really understand how many are so down on our Linebacking Corps ? For the most part,...their play was one of our few strengths this season. Perhaps i watched an entirely different 16 games ?LOL
Could we use an injection of talented youth in regards to LB's ? Sure,....but i would address it next year with Rey Maualuga or Brian Cushing.

Bottom line,....I think when one honestly evaluates this past season,....Bens phenomenal amount of picks and the big plays allowed by the secondary in regards to 1st downs and touchdowns,....were the most glaring shortcomings among the others.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Bottom line,....I think when one honestly evaluates this past season,....Bens phenomenal amount of picks and the big plays allowed by the secondary in regards to 1st downs and touchdowns,....were the most glaring shortcomings among the others.

Fair enough, Czar, but I think you can safely add STs to the list. Muffed returns all over the place, Gardocki's 25-yard line drive kicks, lack of discipline in maintaining lanes in return coverage, resulting in huge returns by other teams, etc., etc.

SteelCzar76
02-25-2007, 11:44 PM
He's still the best we've had at the position since Bradshaw by a country mile. And I wonder why there was a 26-year gap between SB wins....

I agree 76. But this is also part of why i feel many of us give him (Ben) so much undeserved 'Pub' so to speak. What i mean is,......a ham sandwhich is nothing like steak and shrimp. But to a person dying of starvation,....it would certainly seem of the same quality to them. LOL

Preacher
02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
And it wasn't until it was the end of the year and he was healthy that he had a stretch of games that you started to see his play pick back up."

That is what I like to read.

SteelCzar.. I disagree tremendously. Ben is perfect for our team. He isn't selfish to demand a lot of passes per game. Yet, he is able to take the game under control (last years playoffs) and win them. I don't want him to come out and say those things you ask. What would be the point of that?

I have lots of hope for us this year. I think we are back in the playoffs... at LEAST!!

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 11:49 PM
I agree 76. But this is also part of why i feel many of us give him (Ben) so much undeserved 'Pub' so to speak. What i mean is,......a ham sandwhich is nothing like steak and shrimp. But to a person dying of starvation,....it would certainly seem of the same quality to them. LOL

Point taken, Czar. I would also like to know, with all due respect, what your definition of "elite passer" is. Joe Montana was arguably the best QB in NFL history, but I personally would never label him an "elite passer," considering that he had a hard time throwing the ball further than 30 yards.

SteelCzar76
02-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Fair enough, Czar, but I think you can safely add STs to the list. Muffed returns all over the place, Gardocki's 25-yard line drive kicks, lack of discipline in maintaining lanes in return coverage, resulting in huge returns by other teams, etc., etc.

Once again i fully agree 76. Utimatley this is the greatest of 'team' sports. And we were far from perfect as an entire unit. I just firmly believe in correcting problems begining with the ones of the most severity. Not to say that one should ignore any of the others.

ChronoCross
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
With a healthy Big Ben you get a 98 QB Rating with a 60% passer over his first two years.. Now lack of coaching and pushing Ben back before he was mentally and physically ready took its toll. Batch should of started and let Ben come together before putting thru beatings every game trying to heal at the same time taking him almost past mid season before he showed any signs of his old self. Now Ben sits and starts game 5 we would of seen a better and more prepaired big Ben. No were in the NFL Bible does it say a passer has to throw 40 to 60 times a game to be a NFL QB. We fix the Oline get the Running game back in gear and Bens 20 to 25 passes a game and even more with less drops and more use of Miller and we will do great. Ben can be one of the best managers of the game while on the field. Ben healthy is very accurate.

Kiesel has been grooming for a couple years and his first full year start he did very well with how the team played as a whole. He has no were to go but up.

SteelCzar76
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
i think the only thing hurting ben is that his dad wasnt a pro qb or hs head coach and he didnt play the position since he was 5 years old like the rivers, mannings, or penningtons of the league.

ben still has alot to learn and his potential upside has yet to be tapped. this will be his 8th year playing the position. most qb's entering the league have played it for 10 years atleast, before even turning pro.

You have a very valid point in regards to Ben's relative inexperience at the position Tone. And he's gifted in a physical sense to have come this far in so short an amount of time. I'd just like to see him take the positon a little more seriously in regards to preparation. (offseason and otherwise)
And tap his potential and actually become the QB that many believe him to be now. (At least that's what they say publicly) LOL

SteelCzar76
02-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Point taken, Czar. I would also like to know, with all due respect, what your definition of "elite passer" is. Joe Montana was arguably the best QB in NFL history, but I personally would never label him an "elite passer," considering that he had a hard time throwing the ball further than 30 yards.

An 'elite passer' is a QB that makes the proper reads and gets the ball where it needs to be with good timing and accuracy. And though it's a great plus,...they don't have to always have the 'cannon' arm. But they throw the ball well in regards to touch and placement.
Granted i'm just talking now of 'passing' and there are many more things that go into making a Quarterback "Great'. Things such as leadership ability, poise, intelligence and will that matches or supercedes their physical abilities.
Just my opinion, based upon what i've gotten from the game.

fansince'76
02-26-2007, 12:20 AM
An 'elite passer' is a QB that makes the proper reads and gets the ball where it needs to be with good timing and accuracy. And though it's a great plus,...they don't have to always have the 'cannon' arm. But they throw the ball well in regards to touch and placement.
Granted i'm just talking now of 'passing' and there are many more things that go into making a Quarterback "Great'. Things such as leadership ability, poise, intelligence and will that matches or supercedes their physical abilities.
Just my opinion, based upon what i've gotten from the game.

That would definitely cover it in my book as well. I still consider Ben to be a work in progress, and I agree with you that he needs to become alot more like Peyton Manning in regards to preparation. Hopefully Tomlin will start to crack that whip. I loved Cowher as much as anyone, but one of his faults, IMHO, was the fact that he gave his QBs too much slack in that regard.

SteelCzar76
02-26-2007, 12:30 AM
That would definitely cover it in my book as well. I still consider Ben to be a work in progress, and I agree with you that he needs to become alot more like Peyton Manning in regards to preparation. Hopefully Tomlin will start to crack that whip. I loved Cowher as much as anyone, but one of his faults, IMHO, was the fact that he gave his QBs too much slack in that regard.

It's funny that you should say that 76,....i always got that impression from Coach Cowher regarding Ben as well. Perhaps things will be different with Coach Tomlin,.....but it's often difficult to effectively work with some players that are placed on a 'proverbial' pedastool by an organization and or fanbase.
And believe me i like Ben and i feel he is truly capable of 'evolving' as a Qb,....but ultimately that decision is only up to him.

fansince'76
02-26-2007, 12:33 AM
It's funny that you should say that 76,....i always got that impression from Coach Cowher regarding Ben as well.

Yep, and it wasn't just with Ben, either. Look at Kordell - he was as clueless at reading defenses in year six as he was in year one.

Preacher
02-26-2007, 12:51 AM
It's funny that you should say that 76,....i always got that impression from Coach Cowher regarding Ben as well. Perhaps things will be different with Coach Tomlin,.....but it's often difficult to effectively work with some players that are placed on a 'proverbial' pedastool by an organization and or fanbase.
And believe me i like Ben and i feel he is truly capable of 'evolving' as a Qb,....but ultimately that decision is only up to him.

Now that is a post that I gotta completely agree with !! Good post!