PDA

View Full Version : Steelers looking at Okoye

ChronoCross
02-25-2007, 09:19 PM
OKOYE A-CLIMIN' THE LADDER
One the defensive prospects who are gathering plenty of attention at the combine in Indy is Louisville defensive end Amobi Okoye.
Scouts are amazed by the progress of this 19-year-old, who enrolled in college at 15 and earned a degree in three-and-a-half years. And at six-foot-one, 317 pounds and still potentially growing, there's a belief that Okoye could in time become one of the most effective players at the position, ever.
One team that is sniffing around Okoye is the Steelers, who need to pick up some pass-rushing defensive ends if they hope to transition to the Tampa Two, which uses defensive ends who are asked to get to the passer. In the 3-4, the defensive ends primarily are expected to tie up blockers so that the linebackers can put pressure on the passer.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I've heard ALOT about this kid, and I have to say I'm impressed. I have a feeling he goes in the top 10, which will leave us out in the cold.

ajs8207
02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Im not sure if he will go top 10. I would like to have him if we can get our hands on him.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Im not sure if he will go top 10. I would like to have him if we can get our hands on him.

Absolutely - if he falls to us, I hope we get him as well. He's obviously intelligent and he has a 3-4 year head start on other players coming in at 22-23 years old.

jjpro11
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
i dont know how you cant be impressed with him. i just think he will go too early for us. :dang:

Atlanta Dan
02-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Enrolled in college at 15??!!

What is his back story - was he raised by wolves?

volkmire
02-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I've heard ALOT about this kid, and I have to say I'm impressed. I have a feeling he goes in the top 10, which will leave us out in the cold.
Unless he drops a bit and the Steelers organization trades up.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Enrolled in college at 15??!!

What is his back story - was he raised by wolves?

When I first heard the name, I thought he might be Christian Okoye's kid, but there's no relation: http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okoye_amobi00.html

Atlanta Dan
02-25-2007, 09:50 PM
FWIW here is his wikipedia bio

I will take the "age" of 19 with a shaker of salt - the story he was a "bright kid" and tested into the 9th grade at age 12 after coming to the States from Nigeria is dicey.

This guy may be in his mid-20s; his physical skills are what they are but the idea this kid was playing D-I ball in his mid-teens is dubious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
FWIW here is his wikipedia bio

I will take the "age" of 19 with a shaker of salt - the story he was a "bright kid" and tested into the 9th grade at age 12 after coming to the States from Nigeria is dicey.

This guy may be in his mid-20s; his physical skills are what they are but the idea this kid was playing D-I ball in his mid-teens is dubious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amobi_Okoye

I don't know - considering Shaq was 6'8" and 250+ at 13, it's not completely beyond the realm of possibility. However, how good is vital statistics recordkeeping in Nigeria?

Atlanta Dan
02-25-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't know - considering Shaq was 6'8" and 250+ at 13, it's not completely beyond the realm of possibility. However, how good is vital statistics recordkeeping in Nigeria?

The whole story on the age is sketchy - my assumption would be that even in Huntsville Alabama (where he somehow landed after departing Nigeria) they would slot you with your age group rather then "test" you to see what your grade should be.

He could be 19, but this sounds like the same situation where Hispanic baseball players slice 3-4 years off their age when they make it to the Show.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 10:24 PM
The whole story on the age is sketchy - my assumption would be that even in Huntsville Alabama (where he somehow landed after departing Nigeria) they would slot you with your age group rather then "test" you to see what your grade should be.

He could be 19, but this sounds like the same situation where Hispanic baseball players slice 3-4 years off their age when they make it to the Show.

I can understand your skepticism, but it seems to me one of the first things a prospective school would do, especially with a kid coming from a 3rd world country, is to test the kid to see where they are at academically.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-25-2007, 10:29 PM
That would be great to get him........He could learn for a year or 2 and he would still be only 21

SteelCzar76
02-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I think Okoye will be 'off the board' by the time we pick at 15. But if he were there and we selected him,....i could live with it. He wouldn't be my first or even 2nd choice. But it would be better than 'clusterfookin' the pick with Jarvis Moss or Quentin Moses.
In regards to his age,...some could rightfully argue the validity of his vital records. Such falsification of these documents does often occur in many third world countries. (As used to be the case with some baseball players from latin american countries)
But hey,....i can't 'knock the hustle' of some parents trying to give their children an edge in escaping the conditions of some of these places and giving them a chance for a true future.

Raider_Nation00
02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Okoye= Monster.....He will be a good player and he is soooo young.

jjpro11
02-25-2007, 10:54 PM
well does anyone have a growth chart from his freshman to senior year? i know some kids stop growing at an early age, but it would be interesting to see.. also a muscle mass compaison, etc.. this stuff has to be out there, they monitor all this for football players. if he actually did grow then i would be very inclined to believe his age.

ChronoCross
02-25-2007, 11:25 PM
College career

Amobi went to the University of Louisville, majoring in psychology. He also became the youngest player in the NCAA, at age 16. Okoye played in all 13 games as a freshman at defensive tackle and was credited with 17 tackles and a sack. Recorded then-career-best three tackles against Tulane and recorded his first career sack against UTEP.

As a sophomore, Okoye appeared in 11 of 12 games, recording 26 tackles and a sack. Okoye's only missed game was against East Carolina, because of a shoulder injury. Okoye also made his first collegiate start against Army, recording career-high seven tackles.

In his junior season of 2005, where he recorded 23 tackles and four tackles for a loss. In the biggest game of the year, against the West Virginia Mountaineers, Okoye recorded four tackles. He missed the Florida Atlantic matchup due to a foot sprain. Against Kentucky, Okoye registered two tackles and a fumble recovery. Okoye also totaled three tackles against South Florida.

As a senior in 2006, Okoye finally started all 13 games. In those 13 games, Okoye registered 55 tackles, eight sacks, and recovered three fumbles. Okoye garnered Associated Press Second-Team All-American honors and and first-team All-Big East honors. As the NCAA's youngest senior at 19 years old, Okoye garnered first-round draft status during the season.

During the Senior Bowl, Okoye's stock rose dramatically with strong practice and game performances.

ChronoCross
02-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Amobi Okoye (born June 10, 1987 in Anambra, Nigeria) is an American football player. He played defensive tackle at the University of Louisville from 2003 to 2006. He is a top prospect for the 2007 NFL Draft.

ChronoCross
02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Here is also his college profile page;

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okoye_amobi00.html

SteelShooter
02-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I just can't see us getting him unless we seriously draft up like we did to get Troy. And another problem with that scenario is that we need all of our draft picks this year...all of them. IMHO, of course.

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I just can't see us getting him unless we seriously draft up like we did to get Troy. And another problem with that scenario is that we need all of our draft picks this year...all of them. IMHO, of course.

I share your opinion fully. Considering our cap constraints, we can't give up any picks this year.

SteelShooter
02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
fansince'76,

I never got around to saying how much I love your sig. It took a lot of imagination to go back to "Animal House" for the style!

Cool!

fansince'76
02-25-2007, 11:57 PM
fansince'76,

I never got around to saying how much I love your sig. It took a lot of imagination to go back to "Animal House" for the style!

Cool!

Thanks, SteelShooter. However, I can't take credit for it - I just stumbled across a picture of the "Steelers Deathmobile" while perusing the web one day. I didn't see any other sigs like it, so I figured I'd use it. :smile:

paw-n-maul-u
02-26-2007, 01:12 AM
haha how can anyone actaully challenge the validity of his age ... don't you think that would be a pretty big story or lingering question mark about him??? I have never heard anything about that at all.

... wickopedia ... christ

yinzer-inseattle
02-26-2007, 04:03 PM
haha how can anyone actaully challenge the validity of his age ... don't you think that would be a pretty big story or lingering question mark about him??? I have never heard anything about that at all.

Actually, I know of one country where it's easy enough to do if you have the money. My wife's parents did the same thing in a Middle Eastern country. They wanted to get her into primary school earlier to mover her into college earlier. Similar to Okoye, she entered college in her home country at 15 moved to the states and entered her freshman year at 16.

It's hard for us to imagine a world where you could bribe your way to a new birthday, but it does happen.

Atlanta Dan
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM

... wickopedia ... christ

Don't do much work in security or law enforcement do you? - fake birth certificates are easily obtained and Nigeria is the home office for every fraud known to man.

Leaving aside someone moving to the States and convincing a local school that he should be placed in a class above his age group, the biggest argument that the NFL & NCAA raise about the requirement you play three years of NCAA ball before you can declare for the draft is that teenage football players are not physically matured for the NFL (as opposed to hockey, baseball, golf, tennis, etc) because of the muscle mass requiremets for football that teens lack. That may be bullshit, but read the Clarett judicial opinions and watch the NFL roll out that argument.

Since the NFL bases its exclusion of high school kids declaring for the draft on this alleged physical development requirement & since linemen usually are redshirted in college to bulk up, it is a legitimate question how this kid played D-I ball at "sixteen."

As for wikipedia, I would not rely on it to prove a lawsuit, but in this case where would you suggest we go? - I doubt Louisville will admit in its press guide that this kid may have scammed them on his age.

ChronoCross
02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
You have kids drop out of college to come into the NFL every year and forget about there degree. This kid gets a degree, has gained over 22 pounds since playing at the college level and people worry about his age. If we took him I see nothing but goodness could come out of it.

drew102e
02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
meh

paw-n-maul-u
02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
atlanta dan. this is completely different than clarett. clarett was trying to come out after what, his sophomore year? okoye played four years at louisville. clarett was trying to get an NCAA law changed. how is that anything like this situation at all? clarett was even older when he tried to enter the NFL than okoye is now.

really though. watch the combine. not a single thing has been said in regards to the validity of his age. hes just a freakshow of extremely young talent.

speaking of freakshow. calvin johnson decides not to run the 40... then goes "ehhh screw it, just to shut you guys up." BORROWS a pair of shoes ... and runs a 4.35 weighing in at 239 lbs.

freak.

Elvis
02-27-2007, 05:28 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I think that Okoye would look Great in the #96
Uniform colored
BLACK N GOLD
:coffee:

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM

He could be 19, but this sounds like the same situation where Hispanic baseball players slice 3-4 years off their age when they make it to the Show.i think this is different. he was playing varsity football at the age of 13.

i can see where a 15 year old danny almonte shaves a few years off so he can pad his stats striking out 12 year olds, and i can see where a 24 year old rookie from costa rica, who has no intention of going to college, would want to say he was 20.

with okoye, its not like he was 17 and going to school with 13 year olds to appear smarter, or playing football with 13 year olds to appear bigger, better, or stronger.

i have no idea what benefits there could be by lowering his age in nigeria. maybe it helps him get out of the country easier :hunch:

Atlanta Dan
02-28-2007, 12:16 PM
According to a New York Times story on this guy he allegedly started grade school in Nigeria at age 2&1/2. So he is both a physical and intellectual prodigy.

He sounds like a very impressive guy no matter what his age, but the fact that this he is about 4 years ahead of schedule for everything in his life, the first part of which was lived in the reality related nation of Nigeria, just opens up some obvious questions about his true age.

SteelShooter
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
atlanta dan. this is completely different than clarett. clarett was trying to come out after what, his sophomore year? okoye played four years at louisville. clarett was trying to get an NCAA law changed. how is that anything like this situation at all? clarett was even older when he tried to enter the NFL than okoye is now.

really though. watch the combine. not a single thing has been said in regards to the validity of his age. hes just a freakshow of extremely young talent.

speaking of freakshow. calvin johnson decides not to run the 40... then goes "ehhh screw it, just to shut you guys up." BORROWS a pair of shoes ... and runs a 4.35 weighing in at 239 lbs.

freak.

I missed seeing that..............Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmnn!

Atlanta Dan
02-28-2007, 02:13 PM

freak.

My point was not that Okoye is Clarett. My point was that the NFL justified its 3 year rule (play college ball for 3 years before you can enter the draft) in Clarett's anti-trust suit as a legitimate subject for collective bargaining with the NFLPA on the ground that late teens are not sufficiently mature for the pounding of college ball. Do I believe that? - no - the 3 year rule is the quid pro quo the NFL throws the NCAA to run the NFL's minor league training program at no cost to the NFL.

Nevertheless, the NFL has proffered testimony on how the 3 year rule is plausibly based on physical development concerns. The physical development issue is also supported by linemen being the position that is most often redshirted in college ball so the livestock can be beefed up.

In this case, if Okoye started playing D-I ball at 16, he is both a physical freak as well as, based on the linked New York Times story, an intellectual freak by allegedly having started grade school in Nigeria at age 2&1/2.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/sports/football/26combine.html

As I stated in a later post, this guy seems to be impressive no matter what his age, but the benchmarks for when he is hitting certain educational and athletic milestones are about 4 years ahead of time, which is, to say the least, a statistical outlier that borders on the implausible. Given that this all rests on age records that were generated in Nigeria (a society that is renowned in American law enforcement circles for having a lot of sketchy activity) and I think it is not unreasonable to question the kid's age.

As for the NFL not raising the age issue, why would it? The NFL gets to draft prime beef on the hoof, Louisville got its cut through playing the guy for 3 years, and the player now gets to play for pay. Nobody is questioning his age because there is no financial upside for anyone to do so.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
yeah , and i suppose freddy adu is only 15...

he might be there at 15th pick...

nwksteeler
03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Doesn't matter if he is 19 or 24 we have to select him if he is there.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
i dunno, there are some great DEs that will be there at 15...

paw-n-maul-u
03-02-2007, 12:13 AM
My point was not that Okoye is Clarett. My point was that the NFL justified its 3 year rule (play college ball for 3 years before you can enter the draft) in Clarett's anti-trust suit as a legitimate subject for collective bargaining with the NFLPA on the ground that late teens are not sufficiently mature for the pounding of college ball. Do I believe that? - no - the 3 year rule is the quid pro quo the NFL throws the NCAA to run the NFL's minor league training program at no cost to the NFL.

Nevertheless, the NFL has proffered testimony on how the 3 year rule is plausibly based on physical development concerns. The physical development issue is also supported by linemen being the position that is most often redshirted in college ball so the livestock can be beefed up.

In this case, if Okoye started playing D-I ball at 16, he is both a physical freak as well as, based on the linked New York Times story, an intellectual freak by allegedly having started grade school in Nigeria at age 2&1/2.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/sports/football/26combine.html

As I stated in a later post, this guy seems to be impressive no matter what his age, but the benchmarks for when he is hitting certain educational and athletic milestones are about 4 years ahead of time, which is, to say the least, a statistical outlier that borders on the implausible. Given that this all rests on age records that were generated in Nigeria (a society that is renowned in American law enforcement circles for having a lot of sketchy activity) and I think it is not unreasonable to question the kid's age.

As for the NFL not raising the age issue, why would it? The NFL gets to draft prime beef on the hoof, Louisville got its cut through playing the guy for 3 years, and the player now gets to play for pay. Nobody is questioning his age because there is no financial upside for anyone to do so.

no financial upside? are you kidding? do you know all the press attention a story like that would bring. whether or not he is lying about his age (which you seem to believe could be as old as 24???). the press would eat a story like that right up. its entertainment. if anything, questions like that would generate a huge media frenzy/entertainment revenue.

Jacknut
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
yeah , and i suppose freddy adu is only 15...

he might be there at 15th pick...

Freddy turns 18 in June. If you've ever seen him face to face, it's obvious he is a kid. He doesn't even shave regularly yet.

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2007, 06:48 PM
no financial upside? are you kidding? do you know all the press attention a story like that would bring. whether or not he is lying about his age (which you seem to believe could be as old as 24???). the press would eat a story like that right up. its entertainment. if anything, questions like that would generate a huge media frenzy/entertainment revenue.

Huge media frenzy?- Entertainment revenue?:smile:

It is a subject we are kicking around on a football website during the offseason, but as far as the press getting into this is a big way, only if it turns out he is another one of Anna Nicole's kids.

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Huge media frenzy?- Entertainment revenue?:smile:

It is a subject we are kicking around on a football website during the offseason, but as far as the press getting into this is a big way, only if it turns out he is another one of Anna Nicole's kids.:sofunny: T.O. an anna nicoles lovechild!

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 07:09 PM
:sofunny: T.O. an anna nicoles lovechild!

Pfh, with how everything is so crazy and all the secrets she took to her grave, one can only guess. Of course, T.O. would probably have causes something about him not getting a share of the fortune, if yinz know what I mean.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

louisvillecards
03-03-2007, 06:55 AM
mother was a teacher in africa hes super smart and a beast on the field were going to miss him in the ville

SteelersTilIDie
03-03-2007, 08:38 AM
okoye wont be around when the steelers pick most likely...so jarvis moss would be a more likely selectoin.

desertsteel
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
When I first heard the name, I thought he might be Christian Okoye's kid, but there's no relation: http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okoye_amobi00.html

Are you sure about that? I heard he was.