PDA

View Full Version : Why are we playing too conservative on offense this preseason?

Rush58
08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't see the purpose of us running our backs to death when I most glaring weakness last season was our air attack, especially in the playoffs. These games do not count. Big Ben is a second year qb, not a 5 year vet. He should be getting plenty of throws during these exhibition games. That's just my opinion. What are your thoughts?

blairsummit
08-22-2005, 11:34 AM
i dont really think we are playing that conservative. during the miami game, when the first team was in there, i think we passed a lot more than usual. but i was at the game and all pumped up and going crazy so that statement might not be all that "truthfull".

but also remember, this is bens second year, and ward only played a series or two. he has, pretty much, a new wide recieving core and second and third team running backs with him being that bettis only played a series or two. also a rookie t.e. also a new starting tackle and a guard thats back from being injured from last year. the offense just needs to get the timing down and "gel". we'll see the next preseason game as the third game is when the starters stay in the longest and it will be a really good test being against carolina. just my .02 cents.

pitt
08-22-2005, 11:34 AM
I agree that Ben needs more throws. We already know our running game works and with who. Let the runners loosen up alittle then turn it over to the air game.

TasmanianTroy271
08-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Pittsburgh's always been a "run first" team. We know Ben can pass the ball. What we don't know is how solid our running game is. I think we're just trying to feel out Willie and Noah and see if they're worth keeping (that one's just for Noah now) on the 53 man roster. Pittsburgh will never be an air team, at least not until we get a new coach. Plus, we know who Ben's primarily gonna be passing to this season; Hines, El, and Wilson. What we need to look at now is whose gonna be our recieving team once theyre gone, IE Washington, Cobb, Gibson, Young, etc...

SteelProven
08-22-2005, 02:23 PM
I would like to see more of a aerial attack, but I don't want anybody to get injured becuz of that. Running the ball keeps everybody healthy, well in most cases. I know Ben is a good QB it's just timing and continuity that needs to happen. With Redskins next it should be a good test against a good defense.

clevestinks
08-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Maybe we are just putting on a front. Preseason , run, run , run. Then first game of the year, first play from scrimmage, Ben goes up top. Hits Cedric Wilson in stride . TD

Rush58
08-22-2005, 02:33 PM
We know Ben can pass the ball. What we don't know is how solid our running game is.

I disagree. I think it's definitely the other way around. We were in the bottom half of the league in regards to passing yards and pass attempts. We really don't know if Big Ben can pass the ball to win us games if the running game gets shutdown. He was inconsistent in the second half of last season and hasn't shown much in preseason thus far. I just think this is the best opportunity to work on the passing game without it counting in the win/loss column.

TasmanianTroy271
08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I meant at the start of the preseason. Willie Parker could have looked horrible, for all we knew, and Herron could have fumblitis. Now that they're established we might see more passing.

Da Boot
08-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I disagree. I think it's definitely the other way around. We were in the bottom half of the league in regards to passing yards and pass attempts. We really don't know if Big Ben can pass the ball to win us games if the running game gets shutdown. He was inconsistent in the second half of last season and hasn't shown much in preseason thus far. I just think this is the best opportunity to work on the passing game without it counting in the win/loss column.

I agree. We havent seen anything from Wilson or Heath Miller. As far as the backups go,all we have been hearing about is Nate Washington and how good Walter Young looks in camp, yet all they practically do is hand the ball off to Noah Herron in the second half. Look, we all know this team is already 4 deep at running back. Yet we have no idea who the 4th and 5th WR are going to be and whether or not Randle El or Wilson will be the starter. So far they arent giving any of these guys a chance to do something.

ironcitychef
08-23-2005, 08:17 AM
The defensive scoring has thrown a wrench in offense strategy. The first game we were calling plays regardless of defense packages.(no big formations against 8 in the box=stuffed run), and the Mia game was a turnover fest so I think we wanted to aviod that by throwing less. We saw what throwing got Freotte and the Fins.

Prosdo
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
The defensive scoring has thrown a wrench in offense strategy. The first game we were calling plays regardless of defense packages.(no big formations against 8 in the box=stuffed run), and the Mia game was a turnover fest so I think we wanted to aviod that by throwing less. We saw what throwing got Freotte and the Fins.

Good point ICC. I think the upcoming preseason game will probably be the best one of them all. The starters will play more. We will get to see Hines and Cedric in action. Maybe see a little bit of the other WR's.

ironcitychef
08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Said starters will play all 1st half against Was. Then I'll decide whats is clicking.