PDA

View Full Version : possible sunday night opener at arizona

jjpro11
02-27-2007, 02:49 AM
its just a rumor, but it also makes a lot of sense.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-02-25-combine-hot-reads_x.htm

Cardinals-Steelers date could be a highlight of opening weekend

INDIANAPOLIS ? Word around the combine is the Arizona Cardinals might open the 2007 season Sunday night, Sept. 9, against the Pittsburgh Steelers at the University of Phoenix Stadium.

It makes sense. Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt was an assistant with the Steelers, as was offensive line coach Russ Grimm. Both were thought to be possible successors to Bill Cowher, who stepped down. Instead, the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin.

Steelers fans are among the most supportive in the NFL, and Whisenhunt knows he has a ways to go to create that kind of passion in Arizona.

"There is a reason the Steelers have a loyal fan base, and it's because they won a lot of football games," Whisenhunt said Saturday. "Hopefully, we will put a product out there, a competitive, tough, smart team, that will win some games because we have some people that want to become fans."

The NFL usually doesn't announce its schedule until April.

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
The Cards have been an afterthought ever since they moved to AZ. Good luck to Whiz in getting that turned around. However, I don't want to see that turnaround begin at our expense.

TackleMeBen
02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
I personally dont care who we play.. i am dying without my football. somehow baseball isnt that exciting to me

jd2
02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I agee completely.

The Duke
02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I would love that to open our season. I like Leinart and think Whiz will make him become better, but not on their first game of 2007 againt the Black and Gold.

Sharkissle29
02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
I will be there!!!

Elvis
02-27-2007, 04:57 PM
might be a nice game for us and them to play to start the season off, but our defense showed last preseason that we have trouble covering those great recievers in Arizona. I wish Grimm all the luck in the world but just like I was when Mularkey left, Iam glad to see Whiz go.