PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Talks With Their Post-2007 Free Agents

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2007, 07:36 AM
A Trib-Review story on the Steelers not being anticipated to be big players in the free agent signings this offseason also comments on the Steelers own FA issues after 2007.

The Steelers have started preliminary talks with seven players who will be free agents after the 2007 season.

Colbert said discussions with representatives of guards Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons, safety Troy Polamalu, linebackers Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, defensive end Aaron Smith and fullback Dan Kreider will determine where each side stands in regard to working out a contract extension and how feasible it is.

Porter, who gets a $1 million bonus if he is on the roster March 6, is set to make $4 million this season, while Smith is owed $3.5 million and Faneca is due $3.375 million in base salary.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_494922.html

It is obvious all of the Steeler FAs will not be back after 2007.

In addition to Porter (at this point my only question is whether he is let go this week), other FAs I do not see returning after this year are Simmons, Kreider and possibly Faneca. Other than troy, all of these FAs are on the downslope of their careers; looks like a major housecleaning is coming up soon.

polamalufan43
02-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Sad as I am to say it, this might be Kreider's last year here. He's been great, but age and injuries look like they're catching up to him.

Porter's probably gone no matter what, but I'd like to see them keep Haggans around for another year or two if possible. I still think he does a good job, and he probably won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Yeah... but if Porter does go will the LB cores chemistry still be the same? That's the thing I'm mostly worried about.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I think we have to sign Troy before we worry about anyone else

The Duke
02-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah re sign Troy fast, but I would also like to see Faneca on the team until he retires.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Troy should be top priority folowed closely by Faneca who is a steal a 3.35 million

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Kreider will be around for another couple of seasons. He is still a very tough guy that is a heck of a blocker.

Counselor
02-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Obviously Troy is top priority---but this is also his BIG contract (1st after rookie contract) so he should be top priority.

The fact that most of the rest are on the downsides of their careers--except maybe Simmons----is actually a good thing if we want to keep them.

Historically, its been the guys who are highly valued on the open market that we lose (Randle El, Hope, Burress--good riddence to him)

The older guys (if we still want them) have sometimes been willing to sign for less in order to stay on. That said, I can see Kreider (unless he wants to retire) staying for less $---think about it--how many teams feature a FB at all? He's on a good team for his position (unless Arians completely throws out the playbook:).

Whether or not we keep Fanaca will depend in large part on his attitude. He's another one who I think could get the big bucks on the open market (like Palamalu)--but unlike Palamalu I don't see the Steelers bending over backwards to keep him.

If Porter is cut in March, I think they'll resign Haggans for sure.

Elvis
02-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Kreider will be around for another couple of seasons. He is still a very tough guy that is a heck of a blocker.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I love Kreider but I think that Kuhn is in line to cover
his spot. I just hope that the Steelers are smart enough
to sign Troy before he gets into his last year of his contract...
:helmet:

Suitanim
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Faneca and Troy are the top priorities now that Smith signed, and I think one of those two gets the franchise tag. I'd hate to lose Alan as much as I'd hate to lose Troy, and we MUST find a way to get them both back...

MACH1
02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Faneca and Troy are the top priorities now that Smith signed, and I think one of those two gets the franchise tag. I'd hate to lose Alan as much as I'd hate to lose Troy, and we MUST find a way to get them both back...

I agree, These two should be top priority.