PDA

View Full Version : Whiz was right

steeler614
02-27-2007, 03:21 PM
I like what Whiz had to say. Ben was not ready to play and these "doctors" that the team hired are idiots. I have a friend who had a concussion when he slipped and fell and was advised by doctors in a hospital to take the week off of work, and he works in an office. so Ben had no business playing against the Raiders. and don't take this as me making excuses for Ben, I like Ben a lot and as a matter of fact he grew up only an hour away from me in Ohio, however I think if we see another season with 23 interceptions he's gotta go. Ben did NOT have the time to get healthy and it is the fault of these "doctors" and the coaching staff for allowing him to play in the first place.

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I like what Whiz had to say. Ben was not ready to play and these "doctors" that the team hired are idiots.

Either that, or they were given the directive by someone in team management to the effect of "You WILL clear Ben for this upcoming game."

polamalufan43
02-27-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, what you have to understand is working in an office and on a football field are two different places with different rules. In an office, you pretty much take off whenever w/o any trouble. In football, as the season goes on injuries are less tolerated. In Ben's case, it's pretty much a case of injuries aren't considered them same. Although I don't agree now that he should have played, I understand the doctor's reasoning. However, I'm not saying that their thinking was crappy or not.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Ben needs to get on page with hes receivers in camp...Hopefully he is throwing a few passes to them as I type.......He needs a much more productive year and I think he will have one.....Remember, he had instant success (winning his first 15? games), winning the superbowl his second year.......Maybe it will do him good to sit during the off season and finally ask him self......"Okay, what do I need to do better?"

ChronoCross
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Should just posted this in a already whiz started thread.. No reason to make multiples.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15253

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
, however I think if we see another season with 23 interceptions he's gotta go.

Boy you sure are quick to throw him under the bus...or should I say bandwagon??

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Boy you sure are quick to throw him under the bus...or should I say bandwagon??

Someone who probably hasn't been around long enough to have endured 20+ years of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham, etc., etc. to fully appreciate what we now have in Ben....

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2007, 03:52 PM
He can throw as many INTs as he wants to ...but to borrow a Raider thing "just win baby"

Counselor
02-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Someone who probably hasn't been around long enough to have endured 20+ years of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham, etc., etc. to fully appreciate what we now have in Ben....

Oh God how true. I was young during the end of the Bradshaw era, but I can remember each time a new QB would crack the starting line-up you would hope they'd be the next savior. But then at some point during the season, you're hopes would be dashed. I can also remember being disappointed everytime we "didn't" draft a top QB. When we drafted Roethlisberger #1, I think I was actually mildly shocked that it happened!

On a side note---has anyone ever listed each starting QB chronlogically from Bradshaw to Big Ben? The medicrity/obscurity in the middle is astounding.

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
On a side note---has anyone ever listed each starting QB chronlogically from Bradshaw to Big Ben? The medicrity/obscurity in the middle is astounding.

A better question is, why would anyone want to? :chuckle:

I thought we finally had the real deal when Kordell came along, but alas....

Elvis
02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
:tt02: :helmet: :tt02:
I for one cannot agree with much of what Whiz would say
but I guess I have to agree with this one.
As many as QB's came and went through the Burgh' I honestly
thought that we had found a gem in Bubby Brister
but that one didnt work out either...
:wave:

steeler614
02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm not throwing Ben under the bus, I think he will be fine. I'm just saying any other circumstances 23 interceptions is not acceptable, he had the most in the league.

dustyblades
02-27-2007, 05:35 PM
"Someone who probably hasn't been around long enough to have endured 20+ years of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham, etc., etc. to fully appreciate what we now have in Ben"

No kidding. Don't forget "Slash" (Not the one with the hat)

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
"Someone who probably hasn't been around long enough to have endured 20+ years of Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kent Graham, etc., etc. to fully appreciate what we now have in Ben"

No kidding. Don't forget "Slash" (Not the one with the hat)

Not at all - kind of sad that he was one of the better ones we had during that drought.

Steeldude
02-27-2007, 09:26 PM
BR threw that dead duck pass off of his back foot before the injury. he needs someone to work with him on mechanics etc...

hopefully this offseason he will his work his tail off mentally and physically. unfortunately i can't see that happening.

MJ5150
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
.....I think if we see another season with 23 interceptions he's gotta go.

In one sentence you acknowledge he had no business playing in the first place, and then you say dump the guy if he has another bad year. :uhh:

-Mike

verks36
02-27-2007, 11:29 PM
In one sentence you acknowledge he had no business playing in the first place, and then you say dump the guy if he has another bad year. :uhh:

-Mike

Dude you cant dump Ben... you cant forget he was on the helm just a year ago when we had our super bowl run.
You also cant ignore his record as a starter which is very good

You cant blame ben for wanting to go out and play the game anyplayer would want ot play in his sitution. I blame the coaching staff as well. When we lost to the raiders that was the worst loss the whole season. I think our D held them under 100 yards and we still lost. come on

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
BR threw that dead duck pass off of his back foot before the injury. he needs someone to work with him on mechanics etc...

hopefully this offseason he will his work his tail off mentally and physically. unfortunately i can't see that happening.

I can see Ben buckling down and getting serious at this point. Everything went his way his first 2 years (2 AFCCG appearances, SB ring) in the NFL. If I were still 23-24 years old (I wish), and everything fell into my lap like that, I'd feel that I had it all figured out. This past offseason and season was a HUGE wakeup call for him, and I think he has probably gained some much-needed maturity. And don't get me wrong, I loved Cowher, but IMHO one of his faults was letting his QBs slack off. I get the impression that Tomlin won't put up with that.

SteelerFanInCA
02-28-2007, 02:56 PM

You've got that right. Not to mention the "K" word. (Kordell) We have definitely come a long way at QB. Too bad some people don't realize that.

verks36
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
I can see Ben buckling down and getting serious at this point. Everything went his way his first 2 years (2 AFCCG appearances, SB ring) in the NFL. If I were still 23-24 years old (I wish), and everything fell into my lap like that, I'd feel that I had it all figured out. This past offseason and season was a HUGE wakeup call for him, and I think he has probably gained some much-needed maturity. And don't get me wrong, I loved Cowher, but IMHO one of his faults was letting his QBs slack off. I get the impression that Tomlin won't put up with that.

Ya tomlin better not put up with that. I hope he gets ben in shape

Preacher
02-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Hey... You all gotta remember something else.

Ben has gone through three number 2 receivers in 3 years.. actually more with injuries. Yes, that makes a BIG difference. When Ward is covered, where do you throw? As soon as Ben was comfortable with one receivers' patterns, speed, etc, another came along. This year, Ward was ALSO slowed by that nagging injury, so his speed, pattern, etc. was off as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, you can't always blame interceptions on QB's. I wish in this one stat, they would treat it more like Baseball. You have a throwing error, OR a fielding error. In the same way, you have a QB interception, but you ALSO have a Receiver interception. How many tiimes did the ball LITERALY bounce off the hands (OR THE CHEST) of one of our receivers, and into the arms of a defender? I can remember 3 maybe four times right now.... without reveiwing any of the games. That is 18 percent right there! Also don't forget Hail Mary throws. Take those two out, and that is a QUARTER of the interceptions.

I have said it on other threads. Stats don't tell the story. You have to look beyond stats to see what the story is.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
well that should be solved this year, hines and holmes are solid with Ced, Nate, and Willie Reid (if he plays this year)

The WR corps is in best shape its been in a while