ESPN is running across the bottom of the screen that the Steelers have
resigned Aaron Smith to a 4 year contract extension today. Anyone
have any thoughts that this might change the way the Steelers
draft this coming April?
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Annihilator
02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Here Are the Details

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Steelers have signed defensive end Aaron Smith to a four-year contract extension.

The deal would take Smith, who is currently under contract for $4.5 million in 2007, through the 2011 campaign. Despite Mike Tomlin bringing the 4-3 to Pittsburgh, Smith will remain valuable because he has the ability to play inside. Smith had 4.5 sacks and 64 tackles last year.
Source: ESPN.com

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2007, 05:07 PM
This makes great sense to me, although getting Troy signed up first would be preferable.

Smith is a definite asset.

Further indication that Steelers $$ are going to be spent on something other than Porter's next contract. Signing Smith while Porter's bonus is coming due this coming week adds to my view Porter may be let go in a matter of days.

Livinginthe past
02-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Well thats one more of the front 7 nailed in position for a while - I don't think d-line is a particular priority in the draft - developmental picks may be the way to go.

O-Line and LBer appear to be the major areas of need.

The Steelers reached a four-year contract extension with defensive end Aaron Smith that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2011 season.

Smith was entering the final year of his contact and was scheduled to make $4.5 million. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

Considered one of the most dominating 3-4 defensive ends in the game, Smith was an important player for the Steelers to lock up to a long-term deal. First, his re-signing was the first endorsement of new first-year coach Mike Tomlin. Second, Smith's re-signing will keep together the starting defensive line of Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel for at least three more seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2781839

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2007, 05:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2781839

SteelCityMan786
02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Just 1 of the signings we must pull off.

Edman
02-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Awesome. Aaron Smith was one of the lone stars in a gloomy 2006. He got the tools to work in the 3-4 and 4-3.

This means Joey Porter is as good as gone, IMO.

FOOTEupyourarse
02-27-2007, 06:15 PM
i'm glad we locked up aaron for 4 more years. he is a very underrated player.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Definitely a good signing !! :tt02:

OneForTheToe
02-27-2007, 07:03 PM
This makes great sense to me, although getting Troy signed up first would be preferable .........

I agree, but this is bound to free-up some cap money for this season which could be used for all things good.

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Awesome. Aaron Smith was one of the lone stars in a gloomy 2006. He got the tools to work in the 3-4 and 4-3.

This means Joey Porter is as good as gone, IMO.

How does this signing mean Porter is gone?

Big D
02-27-2007, 07:32 PM
I think if anything this signing goes to show you that the steelers will stay in the 3-4.

ChronoCross
02-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Espn might want to check its sources.. I heard it was 25mil over the next 5 years not 4. 12.5 mil over the next two seasons.

tony hipchest
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Espn might want to check its sources.. I heard it was 25mil over the next 5 years not 4. 12.5 mil over the next two seasons.
im pretty sure this is just the way it is phrased.

smith was already signed through next season. he receives a 4 year extension. his new contract is good for 5 years.

NV STEELERS 723
02-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm clapping !

Edman
02-27-2007, 08:01 PM

I really have no clue. I just see it that way. I could be wrong of course. Porter didn't have a stellar year in 2006, but he pumps up the defense.

ChronoCross
02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
im pretty sure this is just the way it is phrased.

smith was already signed through next season. he receives a 4 year extension. his new contract is good for 5 years.

Ya true.. I am just glade we are keeping him. He is one of the most un talked about top players to me in his position.

verks36
02-27-2007, 08:15 PM
This is good signing. Smith and Hampton Kielel make are D line one of are stronger suites. On the porter situtioin is a big conflict in my mind.

First- Steelers are known for not dishing out huge contracts to players. It is also hard to find DE to play in the 3-4
Second- Porter is are vocal leader not of the D but the whole team. Without him are team would be lost Polmula for sure well never be a vocal leader so we need porter. Plus can u imagine porter on the opposite side line barking at the steelers. It is a sad thought.
He single handed one us the playoff game agaist the colts he comes up in primetime. We need porter no matter what the cost it is.

jjpro11
02-27-2007, 08:24 PM
we lose porter, we gain an extra blocker to stop our already shaky pass rush. he does take up two guys more often then not, he may not always get through those 2 guys.. but he does take up blockers. do some of you really expect haggans to get any sacks next season without porter on the other side? im so sick of seeing haggans run right by the qb and out of the play within the first second of the snap. farrior and foote arent going to single-handedly shed blockers and terrorize the quarterback. unless we bring in someone that can command the kind of attention porter does, then i can only see the pass rush regress even worse.

Atlanta Dan
02-27-2007, 09:05 PM

IMHO it is like musical chairs; not every FA is going to get a seat when the negotiating music stops and the Steelers certainly would like to keep some cap $$ & seats for Troy and probably Faneca - Smith just sat down, which is one less seat open for Porter.

If I had a signing bonus coming due next week and had been bit**ing about my contract for the past year, I would not take it as a good sign that somebody else got their deal done before me.

lilyoder6
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
i think that porter will re-sign.. i think that we will reconstruct some'ones contract to open up space.... and joey wants to stay with the steelers.... so they will make something happen

verks36
02-27-2007, 09:21 PM
IMHO it is like musical chairs; not every FA is going to get a seat when the negotiating music stops and the Steelers certainly would like to keep some cap $$ & seats for Troy and probably Faneca - Smith just sat down, which is one less seat open for Porter.

If I had a signing bonus coming due next week and had been bit**ing about my contract for the past year, I would not take it as a good sign that somebody else got their deal done before me.

Good anoylogy with the musical chairs that actually made alot of sense. It is sad but true every day player that gets resighned porter chance slim. BTW does anyone no the exact date of the NFL draft?

MJ5150
02-27-2007, 11:25 PM
YAY!! This is some good news. I hope he doesn't pull an Ike on us next year.

-Mike

ChronoCross
02-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Aaron Smith spent Tuesday moving into a new house. There also was the matter of agreeing to a new contract with the Steelers, one that could make him the highest-paid defensive player in team history.

Smith, who had a year remaining on his previous contract, agreed to a new deal that spans five years and is worth $25 million.

His signing bonus, which is the only part of NFL player contracts that are guaranteed, is believed to be $8 million.

The 6-foot-5, 298-pound defensive end confirmed the deal last night but said he was too busy at his new home to talk at length about the contract.

fansince'76
02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
His signing bonus, which is the only part of NFL player contracts that are guaranteed, is believed to be $8 million.

Cripes, I wonder how much Taz's signing bonus is gonna be when the time comes. And IMHO, Taz is one player that is indispensible and must be resigned at any cost (along with Ben).

ChronoCross
02-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Cripes, I wonder how much Taz's signing bonus is gonna be when the time comes. And IMHO, Taz is one player that is indispensible and must be resigned at any cost (along with Ben).

I am pretty sure they will want more then Smith got. It will be interesting to see what comes of there contracts.

SteelShooter
02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
NFL Network just confirmed the $$$.

The contract extension is worth $25 Million, with $12.5 Mil in guaranteed money. They also stated that this makes Aaron Smith the highest paid Steeler on the active roster! Wow! :tt02:

Good job to the FO for keeping Aaron around. :thumbsup:

Now we have to get Troy re-signed...........and to go against the grain. I would REALLY like to see Joey get his deal finalized. I, personally, like the guy.

What is everyone's opinion on the Starks situation? Steelers have to make a decision over the next 48hrs on this one. Is he the best tackle? No, not by a long shot. But the draft prospects that will be left by our pick will be slim, and there aren't too many FA Tackles out there this year. Both of those scenarios would also require someone new learning our system. Hartings is already gone. If Kendall makes the move to center, then we have yet another position to be learned by someone, leaving the entire left side to first-timers in our system if Starks is allowed to go FA.

What a quandary! :jawdrop:

SteelShooter
02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Good anoylogy with the musical chairs that actually made alot of sense. It is sad but true every day player that gets resighned porter chance slim. BTW does anyone no the exact date of the NFL draft?

28th and 29th

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 10:25 AM
amazing that our highest paid defensive player probably isnt even in the top 50 for player salaries. i thought hamptons deal was richer than 5 mil per. but really, i dont think any teams spreads the wealth as evenly as the steelers do. theres probably 10-15 starters making right around that $4-6 mil. range.

ajs8207
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM

April 28th and 29th

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 11:07 AM
BTW does anyone no the exact date of the NFL draft?April 28-29, 2007

:chuckle: you know its a slow day on the board when...

anyways, heres some perspective of the bargain we got smith at:

http://nfl.com/combine/story/10025987

(Feb. 27, 2007) -- Not one move in the NFL by an individual club is an independent act. A team really doesn't have to worry about another team's business, but it all causes a reaction.

Three teams franchised defensive ends -- none of whom had double-digit sacks this past season. And as soon as Justin Smith, Dwight Freeney and Charles Grant were tendered with one-year contracts worth $8.66 million, the whole game changed for defensive ends.

Defensive end Jared Allen wants out of Kansas City -- for more money.
Jared Allen, the Kansas City defensive end who recorded 7? sacks in 2006, doesn't like the look of a $2.35 million restricted-free-agent tag. Two weeks ago, he would have appreciated that offer. The Chiefs are stuck with a problem. I wonder what Tamba Hali, who had eight sacks opposite Allen, thinks he's worth.

Atlanta defensive end Patrick Kerney walked away from a $6.7 million salary this week because he thought there was more money out in the market, and he might be right after watching Buffalo's Chris Kelsay sign a four-year deal with $13 million guaranteed. Kerney will want a signing bonus big enough to protect at least the second year of his contract. Kelsay has 12? sacks in 64 games. Kerney is only three years older than Kelsay and he has 33 sacks in his past 64 games.

I wonder what a rookie like Mark Anderson, who collected 12 sacks for the Bears as a part-time starter, thinks his value is today. Is all of this big money going to lead to a $20 million bonus for a guy like Shawne Merriman or DeMarcus Ware? The cost of great pass rushers just jumped significantly because of what good defensive ends got paid.

I thought Warren Sapp's contract to join the Raiders a few years ago was his last big deal, but Warren had 10 sacks last season as an inside player and the present trend leads me to think Sapp has another big payday waiting for him before he calls it quits.

SteelShooter
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
............and here's the NFL.com story on Aaron Smith's resigning: :thumbsup:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/10028479

aussiesteelers
03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
This is great news. If we can sign troy then we will be in super bowls for a long time to come.

kochmanski
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
If they're willing to make Aaron Smith the highest paid Steeler (for the moment, at least) I hope that's a signal that they are willing to pay to keep our core guys around. I think Smithw as one of the core guys. Like everyone else is saying, Troy and Ben definitely have to stay at all costs.

OneForTheToe
03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
If they're willing to make Aaron Smith the highest paid Steeler (for the moment, at least) I hope that's a signal that they are willing to pay to keep our core guys around. I think Smithw as one of the core guys. Like everyone else is saying, Troy and Ben definitely have to stay at all costs.

I agree ....... although I'm not sure the term "all costs" is in the Rooney family dictionary. :wink02:

drew102e
03-01-2007, 11:32 AM

iremember saying something similar about ike taylor last year and that hasnt worked out so far...i'll admit smith and troy are more proven than ike was but im just saying