PDA

View Full Version : NO Love For Kimo

Annihilator
02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Jets | von Oelhoffen will likely be released
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:07:09 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Jets DE Kimo von Oelhoffen will likely be released by this weekend. He is due a $600,000 roster bonus Friday, March 2

Wouldn't mind if the STeeler resign him for Dept...he gets no love ..We love you Kimo...ok i know one guy who doesn't ..he shall remain nameless

fansince'76
02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
Only one problem - he's 36 years old. For a DE, that's ancient, and our D isn't exactly a young unit to begin with.

ChronoCross
02-27-2007, 11:52 PM
He has lost a step are two .. Its time for big Kemo to retire.

klick81
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Sucks for Kimo...looks like he still has the passion to play.

Stainless Steel
02-28-2007, 05:43 AM
He WAS one of the players that inspired the winning streak on our run for the Superbowl IX

SteelShooter
02-28-2007, 07:13 AM
He WAS one of the players that inspired the winning streak on our run for the Superbowl IX

IX?

If you meant XL, then...................Yep! I agree! :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
02-28-2007, 07:41 AM

Boy - Kimo is old:smile:

brind666
02-28-2007, 09:54 AM
id say bring him back at minimum :-) he could play DT as well :-)

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
We let him go once already, that's enough. Good luck Kimo.

vasteeler
02-28-2007, 01:31 PM
i have to agree w most of you love kimo but dont want him on our team too old

polamalufan43
02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Only one problem - he's 36 years old. For a DE, that's ancient, and our D isn't exactly a young unit to begin with.

I agree. He is getting up there d-lineman wise. He had a good career and with his crowning achievment being in the 1st game of last years playoffs(okay, so it was more fun for Steeler fans than him probably.... I'll admit it) Either way, at least he had a great career.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

verks36
02-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Ah kimo threarpy as what i used to call him.

he was good a guess but if he comes back we would half to be paying he near minium wage because he isnt worth more than that even though he is one of the black and gold faithful

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Highly doubt the Bungles call him back.

Suitanim
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
This is exactly what was expected...Kimo produced for the Steelers, and they happily let the Jets way overpay as a reward for the good service. If Kimo has a guaranteed contract, releasing him will only help them talent-wise. If he doesn't have a guarantee, the Steelers could resign him for vet-minimum (which will be pretty big money, still, since he's been in the league since Otto Graham was still winging passes).

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
This is exactly what was expected...Kimo produced for the Steelers, and they happily let the Jets way overpay as a reward for the good service. If Kimo has a guaranteed contract, releasing him will only help them talent-wise. If he doesn't have a guarantee, the Steelers could resign him for vet-minimum (which will be pretty big money, still, since he's been in the league since Otto Graham was still winging passes).the benefits of this? the steelers get their tailor back to custom fit all the jerseys for the players. thats why they did so poorly last year, they just werent comfortable in their garb (like jerry rice always said... if you look good, you play good). and more importantly, keisel could get a little more time on special teams while kimo spells him.

oh, and 2 times a year he gets the start on the 1st defensive series against the bungles.

isnt deciding between kirchke and oelhoffen pretty much a toss up anyways?

Suitanim
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Kimo is better against the run than Kiesel. So, maybe?

ChronoCross
02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Kimo is better against the run than Kiesel. So, maybe?

Kiesel is better against the run. And his amount of tackles and assisted tackles show that. Only 1 year out of kimo's entire career did he put up more sacks then kiesel did this last season. I like kimo but Kiesel is a serious upgrade. kisels groomed up nicely and his first year starting without playing behind kimo was great and showed what we have to look forward to. Even the year before when sharing time between the two, kimo had 3.5 sacks and kiesel had 3. Kimo's best year of his career has never had 56 tackles like keisel, only thing is kimo does have 1 season with 8 sacks, and keisel in his first full year starting every game he got 5.5 sacks. Keisel year before he got 3 sacks, he is improving and will be a lot better then Kimo as he turns into a vet. A lot of people have disbelief in keisel its time to open your eyes.. Kiesel will break 8 to 9 sacks this coming season.

ThatGuy246
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
In my largely useless opinion, I have to agree that taking Kimo on again would be a mistake at his age. Veteran experience during a rebuilding phase is certainly crucial, but only if that veteran is still a legitimate contributor and not a token hire. For better or worse, this is when we need to start looking to the bigger picture and not temporary (at best) fixes.

That said, I'd love to see the Steelers FO offer Kimo a one-day contract so that he could retire as a Steeler. He always seemed like a stand-up guy and solid leader, and wouldn't mind him leaving the league (should he decide to retire, of course) as a member of our organization.

-DJ

fansince'76
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Kiesel is better against the run. And his amount of tackles and assisted tackles show that. Only 1 year out of kimo's entire career did he put up more sacks then kiesel did this last season. I like kimo but Kiesel is a serious upgrade.

Well, one thing's for sure - I didn't really notice any dropoff in our run D this past season. Stopping the run was one of the few things our D did right, IMHO.

Stlrs4Life
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Kiesel is better against the run. And his amount of tackles and assisted tackles show that. Only 1 year out of kimo's entire career did he put up more sacks then kiesel did this last season. I like kimo but Kiesel is a serious upgrade. kisels groomed up nicely and his first year starting without playing behind kimo was great and showed what we have to look forward to. Even the year before when sharing time between the two, kimo had 3.5 sacks and kiesel had 3. Kimo's best year of his career has never had 56 tackles like keisel, only thing is kimo does have 1 season with 8 sacks, and keisel in his first full year starting every game he got 5.5 sacks. Keisel year before he got 3 sacks, he is improving and will be a lot better then Kimo as he turns into a vet. A lot of people have disbelief in keisel its time to open your eyes.. Kiesel will break 8 to 9 sacks this coming season.

efiantely agree. Got to see Kimo in 1 game with the Jets last year, I know it was only 1 game, but he looked terrible.

jjpro11
02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
we def need help on our 3rd down pass rush.. bailey, kirschke, and hoke definitely arent doing anything on their own.. maybe kimo isnt the answer, but something has got to change.

fansince'76
02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
we def need help on our 3rd down pass rush.. bailey, kirschke, and hoke definitely arent doing anything on their own.. maybe kimo isnt the answer, but something has got to change.

Nothing a new young stud at LB wouldn't cure.

ThatGuy246
02-28-2007, 10:27 PM
Nothing a new young stud at LB wouldn't cure.

Exactly.

ThatGuy246
02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
lol...for the record, I was so excited about seeing that my profile has been promoted to "Water Boy" that I just accidently burned myself with a lit cigarette.

God, I need a life... ;)

83-Steelers-43
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
This sort of rolls along the sames lines as the "Bring in Corey Dillon/Jamal Lewis (insert next over the hill waiver/FA name here) thread".

Just because an over-the-hill player who at one point in time brought something to a team is released doesn't mean the Steelers should go out and blow money (which should be used in other areas) on these guys. This organization will not do it nor should they in my opinion.

NV STEELERS 723
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
In my largely useless opinion, I have to agree that taking Kimo on again would be a mistake at his age. Veteran experience during a rebuilding phase is certainly crucial, but only if that veteran is still a legitimate contributor and not a token hire. For better or worse, this is when we need to start looking to the bigger picture and not temporary (at best) fixes.

That said, I'd love to see the Steelers FO offer Kimo a one-day contract so that he could retire as a Steeler. He always seemed like a stand-up guy and solid leader, and wouldn't mind him leaving the league (should he decide to retire, of course) as a member of our organization.

-DJ

You make some good points...but like others here as well as me, we love love Kimo too....but the STEELERS have to run this as a business, and the fact the fans or the FO love a former player, or a current player that has lost a step , does not warrant a contract...

If this was the case Franco would have never seen another uniform.....

Kimo was great for us...he was a stopper.... but I would bet he wants to retire anyway....

I hope he has a house in Hawaii facing the Pacific!

verks36
02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
The steelers should spend their money on young players with talent not on washed up oldies that can be my dad. even if it is Kimo we cant get personal opionons in from of what is best for the team

Avoid LLoyd1975
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
He was a high character high motor type of player, wish him the best.

NV STEELERS 723
02-28-2007, 11:17 PM

Me Too!:cheers:

verks36
02-28-2007, 11:22 PM

me three

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: STAY CLASSY KIMO:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
me three

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: STAY CLASSY KIMO:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Yeah... we'll miss him if we haven't already.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: