PDA

View Full Version : bengles cut "good guy" brian simmons

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5909

Simmons, who turns 32 in June, is one of the locker room?s most popular players and has been the defense?s most versatile and productive player under three head coaches and four different coordinators.

?This was not an easy decision to make,? said Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis in a press release. ?Brian has been a fine player on the field, and he has been a great example to all of our players as a team leader and a citizen.?

he obviously wasnt bungle material :dang:

Colton said the move is surprising in the sense that in an offseason the Bengals have stressed character, one of their first major moves is to cut a highly-regarded locker-room figure like Simmons.

?It?s unfortunate that you make a statement on character and then you let a guy like Brian go who is of the highest character,? Colton said. ?I think that will be a loss for the Bengals and the young guys they bring in.?
:rofl:

But he?ll also get some play on the market. Three of his former coordinators (Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh, Mark Duffner in Jacksonville, Leslie Frazier in Minnesota) swear by him and could be interested.

may be wishful thinking on the agents part. hes 32 and the bungles needed his $3 mil cap value.

fansince'76
02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
"'It?s unfortunate that you make a statement on character and then you let a guy like Brian go who is of the highest character,' Colton said."

Not when the statement was complete bullshit to begin with. And yet they continue to retain Odell Thurman on the roster. Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis should both run for public office - they're naturals.

CantStop85
02-28-2007, 07:13 PM
may be wishful thinking on the agents part. hes 32 and the bungles needed his $3 mil cap value.

High character or not, he's 32 and for the cap hit, there are younger players who can step in and produce the same results.

He was a good player for many years and didn't bolt like Takeo. However, it's time to part ways with him and revamp the defense with some more youth and speed.

Suitanim
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
That little sniff of success they had last year is about as close as the Bungle's are getting. They are the "Pigpen" (from the comic strip Peanuts for the younger posters) of pro football...there will always be a cloud of stink and filth surrounding that abortion of a franchise.

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
High character or not, there are younger players who can step in and produce the same results.
. :dang: not if theyre in jail or suspended. you would think bengalfans have learned this by now :busted:

lilyoder6
02-28-2007, 07:34 PM
i guess brian simmons wasn't gangster enough to stay on the team

Suitanim
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
:dang: not if theyre in jail or suspended. you would think bengalfans have learned this by now :busted:

It's called intimidation...if you line up from some drug-crazed lunatic who might just pull out a 9 and straight up whack you in the middle of the field like in "The Last Boy Scout", you're probably gonna play a little scared.

It's a high risk/high reward strategy. I don't blame the Bungles for embracing it, either, I guess. They can't win the big one legitimately, so why not attempt an alternative approach?

tony hipchest
02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
if the bungles actions last year are gonna bring a crackdown from the league and stiffer penalties, teams may be a little more geared up to give them a little "code red" action when they play.

houshmandzadeh has been making the media rounds lately (of course to say his recent hiring of a new agent doesnt mean hes gonna take his contract issues public) but to say that his meeting with the commish wasnt an act of a whistle blower or narc. he seemes a little concerned some of his peers might be a little leery of him and him "pushing" for more harsh punishment.

BlitzBacker
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
haha! that makes me laugh:sofunny: Especially when i continue to hear people say the bengals are the class of this division:blah: .Yeah maybe if we were ranking it by arrests and encounters with the police...I would have just cut everyone who got arrested or charged because really they are not worth what you are paying them and if they didnt play football they would have been in jail long ago..If i have read correctly after bam morris's encounter with the police the steelers droped him..only for him to sign with the ratbirds(what a surprise) so the bengals could take a few pointers from us..but yet we already knew that

:tt02:

-blitz

verks36
02-28-2007, 10:53 PM
ya i love how they cut then one guy that stays out of trouble and who actually has some class. I laugh at the bungles studpity. I hope this comes back to bite them

CantStop85
03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
*Sigh*...you guys let go of "good guy" Kimo last year...why? Because he's old, he's eating up cap, and there are players behind him who can step in and produce much the same results.

The Bengals will have Landon Johnson, Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad Brooks, Caleb Miller, probably a first day LB from the draft, and possibly David Pollack all competing for the starting OLB spots next season...keeping Brian Simmons when his contract is up next season and he's not in the team's long-term plans just doesn't make sense.

Besides, he wouldn't be willing to take that large of a paycut to stay with the team...he's old, but he could still get a decent deal with some other team desperate for help at linebacker.

You can't keep everyone just because they're veteran good guys. The Bengals already ate up a lot of cap space by resigning Willie Anderson...a veteran good guy (not to mention a pro bowler).

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 06:08 PM
*Sigh*...you guys let go of "good guy" Kimo last year...why? Because he's old, he's eating up cap, and there are players behind him who can step in and produce much the same results.

The Bengals will have Landon Johnson, Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad Brooks, Caleb Miller, probably a first day LB from the draft, and possibly David Pollack all competing for the starting OLB spots next season...keeping Brian Simmons when his contract is up next season and he's not in the team's long-term plans just doesn't make sense.

Besides, he wouldn't be willing to take that large of a paycut to stay with the team...he's old, but he could still get a decent deal with some other team desperate for help at linebacker.

You can't keep everyone just because they're veteran good guys. The Bengals already ate up a lot of cap space by resigning Willie Anderson...a veteran good guy (not to mention a pro bowler).

Fair enough - however, why is Odell Thurman still on your roster? Especially considering your team's major PR problems at the moment?

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2007, 06:49 PM

I caught an interview with Brian Simmons on Sirius last night, and he said that the Bungles org told him the release was purely a financial move. He said he understands, but questioned why they never approached him (at all) about re-doing his deal, instead of just showing him the door?
He was very calm & professional, but some of his later comments about getting a chance to play for some of the better organizations in the NFL were pretty telling.

Still a mess of an organization....

Livinginthe past
03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
The Patriots are always on the lookout for high character vets who bring something positive to the locker room.

Coud be useful at OLB if Vrabel were to make a permanent move inside.

NM

tony hipchest
03-01-2007, 07:09 PM
The Patriots are always on the lookout for high character vets who bring something positive to the locker room.

Coud be useful at OLB if Vrabel were to make a permanent move inside.

NMpatriots would be better served to spend a few extra bucks for joey porter, however, adam shefter was just saying that joey porters best fit would be with the cincinatti bengals :jawdrop: who desperately need linebacking.

marvin lewis wants to switch to the 3-4 bigtime.