PDA

View Full Version : What does the A. Smith signing tell us????

coachspeak33
03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
This obviously is just my opinion...but signing A Smith to a 4 yr extension at a pretty nice chunk of change started a domino effect that will guide the Steelers decision making this off season.

1. I am convinced that we will draft a LB in round 1
- we are so thin and old at LB....we must start to replenish the position that usually serves as a position of strength
2. Peezy WILL play his last season for the Steelers in 07-08
- they may not want to pay him the money he is owed but we REALLY cant afford to not have him suit up this season....we simply do not have enough LB's right now
3. James Harrison is NOT the answer at LB
- i like what silverback brings to the table on D and especially special teams, but because he hasnt played alot people usually lose sight of the fact that he is just as old as Peezy and Haggans...he will play a lot for the Steelers over the next couple of seasons but we still need to restock much of our front seven
4. Paul Puz might be a good fit at #15
- He played at an all american level at inside LB in 05 and OLB in 06...his versatility would provide us with more depth at multiple positions

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-01-2007, 02:43 PM
The olny thing that the A. Smith signing told us was that Smith will be with us for another 4 years......
Just because Smith is signed does not mean we are staying at 3-4
The plan could be to move smith to DT and draft a Pass Rushing DE.....Smith would make a great DT next to Hampton and Hoke will be thier relief....
You will have Kiesel on one side and possibly a rookie on the other......

It is unknown what is going to happen but I like that there might be some change up in our defense and offensive plays.........

It will make it difficult for teams to game plan on us.

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
The olny thing that the A. Smith signing told us was that Smith will be with us for another 4 years......
Just because Smith is signed does not mean we are staying at 3-4
The plan could be to move smith to DT and draft a Pass Rushing DE.....Smith would make a great DT next to Hampton and Hoke will be thier relief....
You will have Kiesel on one side and possibly a rookie on the other......

It is unknown what is going to happen but I like that there might be some change up in our defense and offensive plays.........

It will make it difficult for teams to game plan on us.

Dad-gummed good post! And great points!

Versatility is an awesome weapon!

drew102e
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
gotta agree with that, with all the additional teams converting to 3-4, might be easier for teams to prepare for so it will be nice for lebeau and co. to continue to keep folks guessin by utilizing multiple fronts

and personally i would like to see some pressure on the QB from keisel, hampton, hoke, and smith all out there at the same time

19ward86
03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
this is telling us that jarvis moss from florida is not going to be drafted by us.

Elvis
03-01-2007, 05:30 PM
this is telling us that jarvis moss from florida is not going to be drafted by us.
:coffee:
why do you say that?
Drew102... I dont see that lineup being much of a passrushing
dominated lineup ... just my opinion but I think that we could
really be drafting a Passrushing DE now and I hope that maybe
we look for a LB in the free agency now because we really Dont
have a replacement for Porter right now I dont think...
:tt02:

lilyoder6
03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
i agree with u except that porter got released.. :(

Dynasty
03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
As I said in the "Porter released" thread

I actually think that the defensive leader of this team may end up being Aaron Smith, who just had his contract redone. He was more vocal than people expected this season, and I think he will greatly help minimize the impact that will be made by the loss of Joey Porter.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 09:05 PM
yeah, 1st round DE, 2nd LB, thats what i am hoping for

but rookies dont start right away so i was plugging in last years guys to the ole 4-3

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
I too believe the Aaron Smith signing just basically means we have him for 4 more years. And I am a huge Penn State fan and love Poz. But think that would be a mistake pick at 15. But who knows, the draft really is a crap shoot anyways.