PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Cloes to Signing with Steelers

Annihilator
03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
The Steelers are reportedly close to re-signing Najeh Davenport.

According to Profootballtalk.com, the Steelers won't pursue Jamal Lewis due to his brief history of legal trouble. If this contract with Dookie gets done, Pittsburgh might consider its backfield a done deal.
Source: Profootballtalk.com
Related: Jamal Lewis

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I really hope they get him signed. But most importantly, I REALLY hope they do not consider the backfield as fully "good to go." IMO, we still NEED, desperately, a power back!

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Davenport is meant to be a power back. And he is pretty good on kick and punt returns. Although, I'm not so sure he is the one for the job, I guess we will find out soon.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Maybe we'll get to see him get in more than 3-5 plays this year....

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Maybe we'll get to see him get in more than 3-5 plays this year....

True.

But, to agree with polamalufan, I do not think he is "The" power back we want.

But I sure do like watching him plow down single tacklerrs on a kick/punt return. :jammin:

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
True.

But, to agree with polamalufan, I do not think he is "The" power back we want.

But I sure do like watching him plow down single tacklerrs on a kick/punt return. :jammin:

Yeah, that's really what I remember him most for. Which if that is really what I remember him for, then he may be suited more for ST, but if he does show improvement, then we should at least give him a chance. Like I said before though, I think for now we should look for someone else.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
with najeh signed, i really like the RB corps as it is, its a solid group, rather spend picks and FA money on OL and Defense

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
with najeh signed, i really like the RB corps as it is, its a solid group, rather spend picks and FA money on OL and Defense

I agree. I still think Davenport is the upgrade over Verron that we need, and we need to concentrate on shoring up our D and OL.

19ward86
03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
i would rather see a guy like kevin jones from detroit, or dominick davis from houston in the backfield than a guy that is going to be expensive like jamal lewis or a guy that is just going to suck like najeh.

Elvis
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
i would rather see a guy like kevin jones from detroit, or dominick davis from houston in the backfield than a guy that is going to be expensive like jamal lewis or a guy that is just going to suck like najeh.
:coffee:
I agree ... I just aint real big on Najeh being the answer
to our problems at the power back position... but I dont know if these guys are the answer either. Davis might be alright and I think he would be better for the price that we are gonna
have to pay Davenport.
:tt02:

lilyoder6
03-01-2007, 05:03 PM
yea... we could possibly draft tony hunt later in the draft.. 2nd day possibly

Infamix
03-01-2007, 06:10 PM

sounds like you want the name of the player over the actual player. Isn't Kevin Jones coming off a serious leg injury? Dominick Davis is definitely solid, but will ask for $$. I don't even think RB is the problem right now, so Najeh is fine. I liked what I saw from him.

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Thursday, March 01, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers today signed backup running back Najeh Davenport to a two-year $2 million contract, paying him the kind of money that should put him high in their plans for next season.

Davenport, who would have become an unrestricted free agent on Friday, received a $405,000 signing bonus, a salary of $595,000 this year and $1 million next year.
The Steelers signed Davenport to a one-year contract after their first game last season when Green Bay released him. He eventually became their backup to starter Willie Parker after Verron Haynes was injured at mid-season. New Coach Mike Tomlin has stated a preference for using two running backs, something that is becoming a trend in the NFL.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 08:03 PM
they better sign him, john kuhn aint the answer...poor willie gonna be out there by himself

lilyoder6
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
kevin jones is goin to miss at least half this upcoming season with an injury of some sort

Elvis
03-02-2007, 04:56 AM
:coffee:
I guess since we just got rid of one benchrider collecting a
paycheck in Deuce we had to get someone to take his place over there... Go Najeh!!
:tt02:

The Duke
03-02-2007, 10:31 AM
So can we agree Najeh should have more playing time this season?

OneForTheToe
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I think this means they are done in the backfield so far as FA' are concerned. No reason they can't look for a draft pick in the middle to low rounds. Or, even a rookie undrafted FA (have had some success there).

I am looking forward to seeing what Najeh with a full season to prepare for his new role.

Sith Lord
03-02-2007, 04:31 PM
The NFL is clearly now a 2 back league. We all speculated who our compliment to willie would be. I always thought we had him on the roster already. So, with that being said...I LOVE this move. Lewis is a wreck, mike turner is too expensive to get (1st and 3rd rounder), and F. kevin jones, he was never and will never be good, IMO.

So far so good this offseason ,IMO. I can live with james harrison instead of porter. My only issue is I still cant bear to see that sideline without cowher walking it.

Elvis
03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
MY VOTE IS STILL FOR
JOHN KUHN
:helmet:

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Honestly, I don't think right now that either one of them is the right fit. Of course seeing them in training camp may change my mind. I say wait until training camp and pre-season before I start making any decisions.

Preacher
03-02-2007, 06:33 PM
What we have to remember however, is that we WILL NOT get a power back like Bettis, or Jamal Lewis (in his prime).

WHy? Because those type of backs will go to teams that will pay big money for them to be thier starting back. We already have our starting back. What we are looking for is a very good back.. for a number two position. That takes a different attitude, a different work ethic, and a different scale to measure who we need to pick.

We will not get someone who can blow through 3 guys everytime he touches the ball. That that is a starting runningback in teh NFL. We will get someone who can blow through one guy... then stumble for a couple more yards off second contact.

Look around the league. Who can play that role? Either you get old Power-backs who now ACCEPT that position (which was Bettis, and actually why they kept Deuce around, because he had the attitude for the position), or you draft for it. Drafting for a sub... especially one so specific in role, and one so necessary to be happy in that role, is a VERY risky thing. So you go to FA. Frankly.. who is in FA that can fit the bill as I described?

With that all said... It makes a LOT of sense to sign Najeh... ESPECIALLY at the money we gave him... and ESPECIALLY since he can play ST..

The only Caveat to this post is if Michael Bush falls to us in the second round. Bush knows he MUST prove himself in the NFL after his injuries. I can SERIOUSLY see us picking up Bush, letting him play with us for a while, then losing him to RFA for a number 1 draft pick. Or... at that point, if Bush is comfortable with splitting the time unevenly, sign him as Najeh's replacement. Heck. Better yet, Move Najeh to Fullback, cause we are getting quite old there as well.

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 06:35 PM
What we have to remember however, is that we WILL NOT get a power back like Bettis, or Jamal Lewis (in his prime).

WHy? Because those type of backs will go to teams that will pay big money for them to be thier starting back. We already have our starting back. What we are looking for is a very good back.. for a number two position. That takes a different attitude, a different work ethic, and a different scale to measure who we need to pick.

Plus, players like these only come once in a blue moon.

Preacher
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Plus, players like these only come once in a blue moon.

:dang::dang: That was horrible. No.. I.. will.... not.... bump..... Najeh...... thread........

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 11:03 PM
What we have to remember however, is that we WILL NOT get a power back like Bettis....those type of backs will go to teams that will pay big money for them to be thier starting back.

Not to mention there isn't a "big back" in the league at the moment who could touch the Bus. Fact.

drew102e
03-03-2007, 09:20 AM
marion barber seems to be filling that role very well in dallas, plus the giants have whatshis name