PDA

View Full Version : CAP ROOM

paw-n-maul-u
03-01-2007, 03:14 PM
now that peezy and verron are gone, hartings retire ... what kind of cap room does that leave us with???

drew102e
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
enough to NOT spend on anyone really good...

peezy was 5 million all by himself, plus the smith deal lowered his cap value

i am gonna say 8 million

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
..........not enough to justify losing our Defensive Leader.

19ward86
03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
we saved 6 mil. between them. we have probably 10-15 mil. left.

Elvis
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
..........not enough to justify losing our Defensive Leader.
:coffee:
Out with the old (Porter)
In
The New (Polomalu)
Its time he stepped up and become that leader that
he is very much capable of bein'.....
:tt02:

jjpro11
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
for the love of God if we let polomalu hit the free agent market i will storm the offices myself.

Elvis
03-01-2007, 04:32 PM
for the love of God if we let polomalu hit the free agent market i will storm the offices myself.
I agree and I would go along with ya...:jawdrop:

drew102e
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM
troy is a steeler and hes seems like a loyal guy, the FO will make a good offer to him, he will be here

think faneca wants to retire a steeler, he should capitulate also...

ben2hines=6
03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
anybody else hear about polomalu wanting to move back to the west coast after his contract is up???? or was that just spectulative b.s.

jjpro11
03-02-2007, 12:38 AM
im pretty sure the FO has learned not to let once in a decade dbs go to free agency (woodson). polomalu is as big of a game changer on defense that we have ever seen. you dont let talent like that go away.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
im pretty sure the FO has learned not to let once in a decade dbs go to free agency (woodson). polomalu is as big of a game changer on defense that we have ever seen. you dont let talent like that go away.

Once-in-a-decade? More like once-in-a-generation. Taz's career is beginning to have the same kind of look and feel to it that Woodson's had. While Peezy is a very good LB, will his name ever seriously be mentioned alongside the likes of Lambert, LT, Butkus, Ham, etc.? I don't think so. We can survive Peezy's release. If we let Taz get away, our D will be hurting.

Steel Pit
03-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Once-in-a-decade? More like once-in-a-generation. Taz's career is beginning to have the same kind of look and feel to it that Woodson's had. While Peezy is a very good LB, will his name ever seriously be mentioned alongside the likes of Lambert, LT, Butkus, Ham, etc.? I don't think so. We can survive Peezy's release. If we let Taz get away, our D will be hurting.

HECK NO !!! I don't think Porter even achieved Kirkland status. Besides the obvious 2 being Lambert and Ham, I can name quite a few Steelers linebackers that I hold in higher regard than Porter, GREG LLOYD, Hardy Nickerson, Chad Brown, Mike Merriweather, Bryan Hinkle, David Little, Kevin Greene, if I really racked my brain I could probably list 3 or 4 more.

Elvis
03-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Porter is a nice LB but he will not be the same in another
scheme like the 4-3. He just isnt that type of LB. But if
he gets hooked up with a team trying to use the 3-4 then he
might get in a few more years. But can you compare him to the other
Great Steelers LB's?
Not In My Opinion.

ExtonSteelFan
03-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I really think Troy will be locked up long term. Porter's release definetley hints at this direction so I wouldn't worry too much about Troy.

ChronoCross
03-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Right now it looks like were around this number under the cap since porters release $9,676,278

OneForTheToe
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Right now it looks like were around this number under the cap since porters release $9,676,278

Thanks ...... and we have to sign our draft picks with of that money. Well, at least the ones who make the team. So, we our still bargaain shopping if we dive into the FA market

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 03:18 PM
anybody else hear about polomalu wanting to move back to the west coast after his contract is up???? or was that just spectulative b.s.

Where did you hear that? Last I heared was that him and his wife really liked Pittsburgh.

Counselor
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Thats an old rumor that been going around for a while---I don't think you need to put too much credence into it.

The Duke
03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't scare me like that, I want Polamalu to retire a Steeler.

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
the good thing is the cap room the cutting of porter gives us. the bad thing is we didnt get nothing in a trade and im pretty sure he doesnt bring a compensatory pick, like a normal free agent would.

Elvis
03-02-2007, 06:14 PM
:computer:
The Steelers will have to Rob A Bank
to pay Troy the $$$$$$
he will want, but I hope they do what they
have to to get the job finished before next offseason, an extension during this offseason would be Awesome..

drew102e
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
it will probably take 6 mill to sign all the draft picks right?

so thats that

SteelersTilIDie
03-02-2007, 08:54 PM
a ton of cap room with peezy, haynes, and hartings gone...we have money to spend just put it that way

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-02-2007, 09:47 PM

I will go to, however, this will never happen..

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 11:11 PM
a ton of cap room with peezy, haynes, and hartings gone...we have money to spend just put it that waysteelers mgmt. isnt putting it that way. lets just see what happens, and make sure this year isnt fanecas and wards farewell tour.

and the steelers should consider extending players with more than a year left on their contract (ben and troy) before they become too expensive for the steelers budget.

Preacher
03-02-2007, 11:15 PM
steelers mgmt. isnt putting it that way. lets just see what happens, and make sure this year isnt fanecas and wards farewell tour.

and the steelers should consider extending players with more than a year left on their contract (ben and troy) before they become too expensive for the steelers budget.

Gotta disagree with you on that. I think all we will do is welcome more holdouts. I LOVE the fact that we set a contract, and then EXPECT the players to live up to that contract.

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Gotta disagree with you on that. I think all we will do is welcome more holdouts. I LOVE the fact that we set a contract, and then EXPECT the players to live up to that contract. it woulda been cheaper in the long run to extend polamalu last season than to wait till this season. and if it goes on for another year where we have to bid for him on the open market or franchise him???

i love how smart teams lock up their franchise players on the cheap, anticipating thier market value a few years ahead of time.

for an example of this, see what the eagles did with shawn andrews. they saved beaucoup bucks by not following the steelers hardlined philosopy

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Joey Porter is on the downside of his career...they're not going to have a Jason Gildon repeat. And let's not forget something: this was a mediocre Steeler's team this past season...the Super Bowl was the previous season and Porter did not make "impact" plays that warrant the kind of money he's looking for. I am not worried and realize that the Steelers approach free agency in a very low-keyed manner. Every year we forget we have to be patient when it comes to this franchise's offseason approach.

drew102e
03-03-2007, 08:59 AM
a ton of cap room with peezy, haynes, and hartings gone...we have money to spend just put it that way

not IMO, lets say they have 10 mill, and 6 mill locked up in draft, that 'only' leaves 4 mill to lock up troy long term

Elvis
03-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Joey Porter is on the downside of his career...they're not going to have a Jason Gildon repeat. And let's not forget something: this was a mediocre Steeler's team this past season...the Super Bowl was the previous season and Porter did not make "impact" plays that warrant the kind of money he's looking for. I am not worried and realize that the Steelers approach free agency in a very low-keyed manner. Every year we forget we have to be patient when it comes to this franchise's offseason approach.
I Dont Agree Fla..steelersfan
The Steelers were not in my opinion a mediocre team.
We had the same team as the year before but with the offseason that Big Ben had, it took him along time to get to full strength. And when he finally got there we were a different team in all.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
records don't lie, especially in the nfl. yes, roethlisburger was hurt, but this defense got TORCHED on numerous occasions.

any team that loses to the raiders is mediocre, IMO. we're continually looking at this team and evaluating them through the lense of the super bowl championship...but that was the previous season. why are we not willing to admit that this team was complacent, and therefore, mediocre?

Steel Pit
03-04-2007, 11:30 PM
it woulda been cheaper in the long run to extend polamalu last season than to wait till this season. and if it goes on for another year where we have to bid for him on the open market or franchise him???

i love how smart teams lock up their franchise players on the cheap, anticipating thier market value a few years ahead of time.

for an example of this, see what the eagles did with shawn andrews. they saved beaucoup bucks by not following the steelers hardlined philosopy

I don't believe that teams ever Truly "Lock up" their franchise players. They can sign them to a contract extension but that doesn't mean that the player will adhere to it.

We saw this played out prior to the 2005 season when Joey Porter "Almost" held out with 2 years remaining on his contract citing that "He had OUTPLAYED his current contract".

"Smart teams" can extend as many contracts as they wish but in the end they haven't locked up anyone.

tony hipchest
03-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't believe that teams ever Truly "Lock up" their franchise players. They can sign them to a contract extension but that doesn't mean that the player will adhere to it.

We saw this played out prior to the 2005 season when Joey Porter "Almost" held out with 2 years remaining on his contract citing that "He had OUTPLAYED his current contract".

"Smart teams" can extend as many contracts as they wish but in the end they haven't locked up anyone.what? you mean nfl contracts aren guaranteed like they are in baseball or basketball? :rolleyes:

anyways...once you "lock up" a player in the nfl you own his rights, and no other team can sign them away from you. the player can hold out as long as they want. but they can only play for the team that has them "locked up".

Steel Pit
03-05-2007, 04:34 AM
what? you mean nfl contracts aren guaranteed like they are in baseball or basketball? :rolleyes:

anyways...once you "lock up" a player in the nfl you own his rights, and no other team can sign them away from you. the player can hold out as long as they want. but they can only play for the team that has them "locked up".

I certainly understand that but if a player who's under contract decides to hold out then it's the team that's going to suffer therefore who's really locked up, the player or the team?

Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on unless THE PLAYER decides to adhere to it. Long term, short term contracts, it just doesn't matter. The player always has control.

drew102e
03-05-2007, 10:42 AM
think its the other way around, in the NFL, owners have the control

Northside Jonny
03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
the move to let porter go was awsome , when was the last time he had a big game after running his mouth. now he is gone we will have more loot to give to troy and faneca

ExtonSteelFan
03-06-2007, 07:26 AM
records don't lie, especially in the nfl. yes, roethlisburger was hurt, but this defense got TORCHED on numerous occasions.

any team that loses to the raiders is mediocre, IMO. we're continually looking at this team and evaluating them through the lense of the super bowl championship...but that was the previous season. why are we not willing to admit that this team was complacent, and therefore, mediocre?

Wasn't the Raiders loss a result of poor offensive play? I think I remember there were two interceptions run back for TD's which resulted in about all of the Raiders points. Apparently our defense did it's job in that game. Overall though, I agree with you, our defense did get burned often.

83-Steelers-43
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Steelers make offer to former Pitt punter Andy Lee

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Steelers have signed free agent punter Andy Lee to an offer sheet, agent Eddie Edwards confirmed today.
Lee, who played collegiately at Pitt, was a sixth-round draft choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 2004. Last season he averaged 44.8 yards per punt (gross) to rank sixth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL.

Edwards said the 49ers have seven days to match the Steelers' offer. The Steelers will give San Francisco a sixth-round pick if the 49ers don't match their offer.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_496406.html

abgroove
03-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Steeler nation will be in an uproar of unprecedented magnitude if that happened.

VegasStlrFan
03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
No more talk of Troy leaving, thats just bad carma! Every team in the NFL would line up to get him. We should be trying to clone him, or at a minimum get him to hook up with Venus or Serena Williams. Their kids would be future hall of famers, get their contracts out now. (just kidding)

Preacher
03-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Hey Tony...

I understand what your saying. However, if you start signing people two or three year ahead of time, you are also asking players to come and demand re-negotiations two and three years ahead of time. I don't like the downside. I would rather spend the extra money.

GBMelBlount
03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Wasn't the Raiders loss a result of poor offensive play? I think I remember there were two interceptions run back for TD's which resulted in about all of the Raiders points. Apparently our defense did it's job in that game. Overall though, I agree with you, our defense did get burned often.

What do you expect. with all of our turnovers last season and all of our time on defense, our defense got burned out!

ben2hines=6
03-08-2007, 09:48 PM
i cant believe all of u are talking about holdouts.....the rooneys have shown that they dont mess around with people who hold out.....thats the main reason we let go of porter..(well that and he was getting a huge bonus)...they knew porter was going to hold out...now we just back loaded the hell outta aaron smiths contract and thats prob what were gonna have to do to try and resign polamalu and thats if he even wants to stay...cause i hate to say it but he has said that he would like to go back to the west coast to be closer to home

ben2hines=6
03-08-2007, 09:48 PM
i cant believe all of u are talking about holdouts.....the rooneys have shown that they dont mess around with people who hold out.....thats the main reason we let go of porter..(well that and he was getting a huge bonus)...they knew porter was going to hold out...now we just back loaded the hell outta aaron smiths contract and thats prob what were gonna have to do to try and resign polamalu and thats if he even wants to stay...cause i hate to say it but he has said that he would like to go back to the west coast to be closer to home

GBMelBlount
03-08-2007, 09:52 PM

I had heard that Troy loves it here and wants to say, but that was a while ago. Also, I wasn't told first person!

fansince'76
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
....were gonna have to do to try and resign polamalu and thats if he even wants to stay...cause i hate to say it but he has said that he would like to go back to the west coast to be closer to home

I've heard that rumor as well - don't think it's true though:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06213/710094-66.stm

"One more unique thing to him (Polamalu): Here is a Californian who prefers to live in Pittsburgh (he prefers Troy Hill over Nob Hill). He and his wife, Theodora, spent all summer at their North Hills home, venturing only on one three-day trip to California."

Preacher
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I've heard that rumor as well - don't think it's true though:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06213/710094-66.stm

"One more unique thing to him (Polamalu): Here is a Californian who prefers to live in Pittsburgh (he prefers Troy Hill over Nob Hill). He and his wife, Theodora, spent all summer at their North Hills home, venturing only on one three-day trip to California."

Trust me. You live long enough here, you don't want to come back! Yeah, it is beautiful. but it is a completely off-center place. Some of the stuff that happens here just cracks me up. Others just makes me want to cry... like our state being in financial trouble, yet people in congress wanting to give EVERY CHILD born in California a 500 dollar nest egg at birth to be invested.

What a joke.

GBMelBlount
03-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Trust me. You live long enough here, you don't want to come back! Yeah, it is beautiful. but it is a completely off-center place. Some of the stuff that happens here just cracks me up. Others just makes me want to cry... like our state being in financial trouble, yet people in congress wanting to give EVERY CHILD born in California a 500 dollar nest egg at birth to be invested.

What a joke.

Don't know about the CA $500 stuff but at the rate we are going, we will eventually have no professional teams in Pgh. But at least our taxes are low, our roads are good and our turnpikes are cheap......and our politicians, as all others are, our committed to the little guys best intererst.....?

Preacher
03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Don't know about the CA $500 stuff but at the rate we are going, we will eventually have no professional teams in Pgh. But at least our taxes are low, our roads are good and our turnpikes are cheap......and our politicians, as all others are, our committed to the little guys best intererst.....?

...That just means they can be bought by the little guys banding together, as well as the big unions and companies

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 02:39 PM
The Steelers dont participate much in FA....we all know this
The Steelers build through the draft....we know this as well

Well, once upon a time Bill Cowher and his excellent staff's had the ability to develop day 2 selections (Rds 4-7) and turn them into pro's who provided not only as insurance in case of injury....but also...and maybe importantly leverage when dealing with steelers entering the FA market

We could let em go and not set ourselvevs back financially by putting all our eggs, so to speak, into one particular "superstar"

Well that was a long time ago....

Since 2003 we have seen only 1 day 2 selection (I. Taylor, 4th rd. 2003) make any significant impact or contribution

Prior to that Cowher and his staff were churning out day 2 selections at an unbelievable rate
2002-Foote (4th rd), Haynes (5th rd), Kiesel (7th rd)
2001-Okobi (5th rd), Bailey (6th rd)
2000-Haggans (5th rd)
1999-A Smith (4th rd), J Tuman (5th rd)
1998-D Townsend (4th rd), C Fuamatu (6th rd)
1997-Vrabel (4th rd)
1996-E Holmes (4th), Flowers (5th), O Roye (6th), Emmons (7th)

the lack of options like these presenting themselves from within the organization was evident when we signed older guys with eroding skills because they dont trust the young bulls ready to step up....which is exactly how we survived losing the Woodsons, Browns, Lloyds, Bells, Burress's, etc. in the first place

since 03...most didnt make the team after a season...and thats if they made the team to begin with....Willie Colon and Chris Kemoutu and maybe Rian Wallace can still help this club but thats about it

In order for the steelers to continue using the draft only and avoid being players in FA...they have to get more out of day 2 selections....

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Fortunately the rooneys have been able to hit some homers with their undrafted free agents...
Willie Parker, Nate Washington, James Harrison come to mind

This is obviously very difficult and rare though...the draft as we all know can be a crapshoot where a little luck is unvovled....but it has proven more consistent than the UDFA route

tony hipchest
03-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Well, once upon a time Bill Cowher and his excellent staff's had the ability to develop day 2 selections (Rds 4-7) and turn them into pro's who provided not only as insurance in case of injury....but also...and maybe importantly leverage when dealing with steelers entering the FA market

....i know its fun to blame cowher for everything. but he is not the GM and the rooneys have to take their share of the blame.

cowher used to plug in the youngsters cause he had no choice. his employer would always let the veterans escape via free agency. after the new stadium in 2001 his employer had a change in philosophy, and his employer started handing out huge extensions and contracts to players that they used to let go before his employers had the cash to hand out, to said players.

but yeah, its ALL cowhers fault. :rolleyes:

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Not all of it tony....but he was the primary decision maker for 15 years....and his track record (albeit pretty impressive) is a bit spottier than the rooneys

look man, i love the steelers....but anyone who reads my posts know i dont chug the kool-aid, get on here and simply root or jeer for particular guys....i am a steelers fan...so i dont get too attached to any particular player or coach.

i got to think that on most days the rooneys ultimately do what is best for the franchise....and last season cowher seemed awfully concerned about himself from the second he walked off that podium in detroit

why???? cause the rooney family wasnt waiting right there to give you 8 milliion a season????

Bill...you work for the pittsburgh steelers....you have for 15 years.....you know how they do business....maybe better than anybody...they are not gonna pay you 8 milliion a season....mr .500 in the postseason (not a knock....but still an obvious fact)

And they definitely dont reward guys who whine through the media (national especially) ...and come to think of it, Bill, you didnt reward that kind of anti-team, selfish behavior either.....but wait that was the old bill cowher who just LOVED & RESPECTED THE ROONEYS SO MUCH....but after your long awaited much anticipated 1st SB they owe you

nope....doesnt work that way bill....they stick by you and dont fire your ass when you cant win the big one....only to whine like a spoiled teenager when you finally do get that one for the thumb

Am i allowed to be disappointed in Bill, Tony??????

tony hipchest
03-17-2007, 03:44 PM
of course you are. and while i put the steelers 1st before the players, i dont drink the rooney kool-aid. too many times they are applauded for being perfect, all the time, and people fear giving them ANY critisizm as if art rooney himself will part the clouds and strike them down with a bolt of lightning.

cowher wasnt acting like the rooneys "owed" him anything. he was just playing the business side of it and loking at market value. the rooneys do it. all owners do it. coaches do it. all players do it.

football is a business and we cant blame cowher for that TOO.

coachspeak33
03-17-2007, 04:13 PM
interesting...good dialouge....thanks tony

GBMelBlount
03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
i know its fun to blame cowher for everything. but he is not the GM and the rooneys have to take their share of the blame.

cowher used to plug in the youngsters cause he had no choice. his employer would always let the veterans escape via free agency. after the new stadium in 2001 his employer had a change in philosophy, and his employer started handing out huge extensions and contracts to players that they used to let go before his employers had the cash to hand out, to said players.

but yeah, its ALL cowhers fault. :rolleyes:

tony, I'm not sure what you're saying. No disrespect, I'm just new.

drew102e
03-23-2007, 06:52 PM
The Steelers dont participate much in FA....we all know this
The Steelers build through the draft....we know this as well

We could let em go and not set ourselvevs back financially by putting all our eggs, so to speak, into one particular "superstar"

Well that was a long time ago....

Since 2003 we have seen only 1 day 2 selection (I. Taylor, 4th rd. 2003) make any significant impact or contribution

Prior to that Cowher and his staff were churning out day 2 selections at an unbelievable rate
2002-Foote (4th rd), Haynes (5th rd), Kiesel (7th rd)
2001-Okobi (5th rd), Bailey (6th rd)
2000-Haggans (5th rd)
1999-A Smith (4th rd), J Tuman (5th rd)
1998-D Townsend (4th rd), C Fuamatu (6th rd)
1997-Vrabel (4th rd)
1996-E Holmes (4th), Flowers (5th), O Roye (6th), Emmons (7th)

the lack of options like these presenting themselves from within the organization was evident when we signed older guys with eroding skills because they dont trust the young bulls ready to step up....which is exactly how we survived losing the Woodsons, Browns, Lloyds, Bells, Burress's, etc. in the first place

since 03...most didnt make the team after a season...and thats if they made the team to begin with....Willie Colon and Chris Kemoutu and maybe Rian Wallace can still help this club but thats about it

In order for the steelers to continue using the draft only and avoid being players in FA...they have to get more out of day 2 selections....

nice post,

i wonder if not developing the day two picks has something to do with the ability to retain our own vets with the new stadium money that allowed those resignings,

in other words, kept more of our own guys, 2nd round guys couldnt make the team

just a glass half full opinion