PDA

View Full Version : Official Joey Porter Thread

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Steelers Release Porter, Haynes; Tender Offers to Starks, St. Pierre

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers released veteran outside linebacker Joey Porter and running back Verron Haynes, the team announced today.

Porter, an eight-year veteran, was originally selected by the Steelers in the third round (73rd overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft out of Colorado State.

Porter started in 14 games in 2006, and finished the season tied for seventh on the team with 64 tackles (43 solo). He led the Steelers with seven quarterback sacks and intercepted two passes which tied for second on the team.

In eight seasons with the Steelers, Porter played in 122 games and made 106 starts. He recorded 498 tackles (374 solo) and 10 interceptions, and ranks fourth in team history with 60 quarterback sacks. Porter, who was the team's defensive co-captain since 2003, earned three trips to the Pro Bowl (2003, 2005 and 2006) and was voted Steelers' co-MVP in 2002.

Haynes was the Steelers' fifth round draft choice in 2002 (166th overall). He played seven games in 2006 before being placed on the reserve/injured list with a knee injury versus Oakland (Oct. 29). Haynes played in 60 games with the Steelers and rushed for 738 yards and three touchdowns on 174 carries (4.2 avg.).

The Steelers also made tender offers to offensive tackle Max Starks and quarterback Brian St. Pierre.

By making the tenders to Starks and St. Pierre, the Steelers reserve the right to retain the players by matching any offer sheets they would sign with another team. Starks and St. Pierre could also remain with the Steelers by signing their tender offer for 2007 or by signing a long-term contract with the team.

Starks will enter his fourth NFL season in 2007 after being drafted by the Steelers in the third round (75th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft. He has started 30 career games after becoming a full-time starter in 2005. He helped Pittsburgh rank third in the AFC in 2006 in total yards per game (357.8) and aided in Willie Parker's team-record rushing performance (233 rushing yards) in a win over Cleveland in Week 14.

St. Pierre spent nearly the entire 2006 season with Steelers on both the active roster and practice squad. St. Pierre, originally drafted by the Steelers in the fifth round (163rd overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft, has spent three years with Pittsburgh and has also spent time on the Baltimore Ravens' 53-man roster and their practice squad.

The Steelers also released offensive tackle Ulish Booker, who spent the 2006 season on the team's reserve/injured list after hurting his knee in the preseason.

http://news.steelers.com/article/74287/

Big D
03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
You really have to wonder what this means for our defensive unit this upcomming year. I think it means the steelers plan on drafting a lb in the first round

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
You really have to wonder what this means for our defensive unit this upcomming year. I think it means the steelers plan on drafting a lb in the first round

I think that's a pretty safe bet after today.

alittlejazzbird
03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Here's the latest from the P-G:

"Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, said they will try to re-sign Haynes, who is injured, later this year."

So maybe Haynes isn't gone for good.

But dang, I'm gonna miss Joey. And I don't look forward to seeing him on the other side of the football anytime soon.

aburdell
03-01-2007, 03:53 PM
I think this is a huge mistake. Now we have no vocal leader on defense. Joey had the ability to fire up the team with one tackle or talkin trash. I see us lookin for somebody who can be just like him, a pure pass rushing outside linebacker. Maybe Jarvis Moss out of florida, he is huge but a real athlete. Haggans showed signs of slowing down too and so did farrior so we could go any linebacker position. We better pick the right guy and come out with the next Shawn Merriman or else our defense could struggle

skinart82
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm sorry, I love the Steelers with all my heart, but I think releasing Porter was the one stupidest thing they could have done. Hey why there at it why don't they just release Hines Ward too, that will make room for another stupid pick in the draft. I don't know if I'm looking forward to next season. Jackasses!

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 03:57 PM
*@^($(@^!^!(*(#&^$&%##$@$@*&?<>!~~!!!!!!!

Elvis
03-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm sorry, I love the Steelers with all my heart, but I think releasing Porter was the one stupidest thing they could have done. Hey why there at it why don't they just release Hines Ward too, that will make room for another stupid pick in the draft. I don't know if I'm looking forward to next season. Jackasses!
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I guess if you get off the bandwagon then
that will give us room for one more.
I hate to see Porter go but it has been coming and it is time
for a change on this defense and he just wasnt himself the last season
and a half. What did he do during that super bowl? Nothing... that
was a team effort on that defense because you didnt hear just
one name mentioned all night, especially not Porters'..
Now, dont get me wrong, I hate to see Porter go but maybe he will prove me wrong somewhere else and I hope he does as long as it isnt
against the Steelers, but I think that his Best days is definitely behind
him..
:coffee:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Porter gone....Starks stays?:tap:

MACH1
03-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Lets just hope Joey doesn't go to any teams in the afcn.

83-Steelers-43
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
If we had the depth at OLB I would have absolutely no problem with releasing Porter. I'm not exactly comfortable with this decision but I'll take the Rooney's word for it and see how it pans out.

jjpro11
03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
now i gotta get a new av.. this just sucks for me. i hate this offseason. :banging:

19ward86
03-01-2007, 04:25 PM
we all should of seen it coming, jason gildon,chad brown(the first time around), and the safety that played for 20 years(rod something(i cant think of his name)

SteelerFanInCA
03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
Man, what a bummer. I really did not want to see Joey leave. Hopefully he gets a good gig some where else.

PisnNapalm
03-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I think it kind of sucks, but I'm not surprised. Sometimes players move on and other times they're shown the door.

I do have faith that the Steelers will find a suitable replacement.

tony hipchest
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
people are wondering where the leadership will come from now that porter is gone. it will come from tomlin and i think that crystal clear message was sent signed, sealed, and delivered to all the players today.

i dont think tomlin wants to speak over anybody, and hes not going to let joeys voice be the loudest on the team. this move could be looked at as much symbolic as it was econimical.

the steel gauntlet has officially been handed over to tomlin

SalukiSteelers
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I wish Porter the best...unless he meets the Steelers on the field. He was a hell of a player and I'll miss watching him play for my guys.

Dynasty
03-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I actually think that the defensive leader of this team may end up being Aaron Smith, who just had his contract redone. He was more vocal than people expected this season, and I think he will greatly help minimize the impact that will be made by the loss of Joey Porter.

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm actually a little disgusted by the move to release Peezy. Some say his production (or lack thereof ?) doesn't warrant a larger contract. Okay,...if that's the case,...here's to hoping the franchise makes the same decision when Ben is due.

At the end of the day though i understand that it's buisness. And that they didn't want to pay the roster bonus. But honestly,.....he's the best linebacker we have and no one else on the roster with which to replace the impact that he had on our defense. (No,.. James Harrison is not even close to being the answer)

Hopefully the organization makes an attempt to work out some kind of new deal.

abowens
03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Adam Schefter just suggested ( not reported ) that the Bungals would love to have Porter and he would be a great fit for the LB poor Bungals!!

More than I hoped Cowher would stay, I hope Porter lands somewhere other than the AFC North!

I think I would feel betrayed! Would he even think of going there? He hates them - right?

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Alot of teams are going to call him, bet the Browns do also. Hate? $$$$$$$$$ is what Joey wants.

Livinginthe past
03-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Porters job is to 'hate' whoever his current team is playing.

Calling him a traitor after the Steelers have made no real play to keep him doesn't seem right.

As much as Porter probably loves the Steelers, there is nothing quite like showing your old team what a mistake they made by letting you go - twice a year.

NM

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
http://news.steelers.com/article/74289/

It wasn't done because his play was judged to be slipping. It wasn't done because of the rumblings he made last offseason about wanting a new contract. And it wasn't done because he was one of Bill Cowher's guys and today Mike Tomlin happens to be the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert said the decision to release Joey Porter just made cents, as in dollars and cents.

"Releasing a player like Joey Porter, who has meant so much to this franchise and helped us win a Super Bowl championship, is not an easy thing to do," said Colbert on Thursday. "It's one of the decisions you have to make under this current system, and it's definitely a salary cap-related issue where we needed some short-term relief. But we also had to factor in what our cap situation is going to be in 2008 and 2009 and beyond."

The Porter move was the big one among those announced by the Steelers on Thursday afternoon, a day in which the team also released Verron Haynes and Barrett Brooks while tendering restricted free agents Max Starks and Brian St. Pierre.

Starks received a tender for a salary of $1.83 million in 2007, which means the Steelers have the right to match any offer he gets from another team and receive a first-round pick as compensation if they do not. St. Pierre's tender was for $850,000, which means the Steelers could match or get a fifth-round pick as compensation. If either player does not sign a long-term contract, he would become an unrestricted free agent in March 2008.

Starks, a third-round pick from Florida in 2004, became the team's starting right tackle in 2005. He has started 30 career games. The Steelers could have tendered Starks at $1.3 million and received a second-round pick as compensation but made the decision to go with the higher number.

"This is the first year we have the system where you have a second-round pick as compensation, and we're just not sure exactly how that's going to play out in terms of what kind of interest other teams might have," said Colbert. "Max is someone we want to be with us, and we wanted to secure that."

There is a theory around the NFL when it comes to dealing with restricted free agents that maintains a high tender might actually preclude the sides from coming to a long-term agreement. For example, in Starks' case, he'll be receiving such a significant raise over his 2006 salary that he could opt to play out this season for $1.83 million and then test the open market a year from now.

"It probably does inhibit your ability to do a long-term deal, but it also prohibits anybody else's ability to negotiate with him," said Colbert. "We never want another team to negotiate a contract for us. If you like the player, sometimes you want to take the extra step to assure he's going to be here."

Porter isn't going to be at right outside linebacker for the Steelers for the first time this century, and his absence creates a hole there the team will have to reinforce during free agency and the draft. In his eight seasons here, Porter started 106 games, and along with 10 career interceptions, he ranks fourth in team history with 60 sacks. The other outside linebackers currently on the roster are Clark Haggans, James Harrison and Arnold Harrison, who is coming off major knee surgery.

Even though Porter's numbers in 2006 were sub-standard for him, Colbert said the Steelers' decision was not an indictment of his play.

"If we were able to handle Joey's cap number this year, we certainly would have liked to have him on the team," said Colbert. "Joey can and will still be a productive player in this league. Other teams are going to be looking at the guys we released today, and I'm sure Joey will attract a lot of interest very quickly ? especially when you compare him to the rest of the class.

"We'll stay in touch with Verron; that's a very similar situation to the one with Mike Logan last year. He's eligible for some injury protection under the CBA, and he'll continue to rehabilitate with us with the idea of adding him back when he's healthy."

So, the Steelers have some operating room as free agency begins, but that doesn't mean they're going to change the way they approach it, even with a new head coach. In the past, the Steelers have waited for the market to set itself and settle down a bit before making any overtures to players, and that's not expected to change.

"History probably will repeat itself. It's not our style to be calling players at 12:01 a.m.," said Colbert. "There are not a lot of great players available, but even at that, you have to let things settle a little bit because there will be other players terminated just as Joey was terminated today. You know what you like and don't like about this free agency class, but that can change day-to-day."

Change certainly is to be expected this year for the Steelers, simply because of the fact Tomlin is now the coach. Because of Tomlin's background in the defensive system known as the Tampa-2, there has been speculation he will implement that instead of the 3-4 alignment favored by Cowher during his 15 seasons.

Whether that happens or not, Colbert said it had no bearing on the decision to release Porter.

"That didn't factor into it at all," said Colbert. "When you're trying to manipulate the cap and be in compliance, you're going to have to look at some terminations, some reductions, some restructuring. Unfortunately, some times you have to terminate a good player to make it all work. You get some short-term relief, and it may allow us to do some things in this free agency period, and it also will free us up long-term for some other issues that will be coming up."

Among those issues could be contract extensions for All-Pros Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu, both of whom will be going into the final years of their existing deals. The Steelers already came to an agreement on an extension for Aaron Smith.

"The thing you have to remember when you're in free agency, you're still going to have a draft and you have to have enough room to compensate however many picks we may get," said Colbert. "Plus, there always are some long-term issues you have to consider as well. It's not like you suddenly have all of this cap room, because you have to keep those other things in mind."

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

RIG58
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I have to agree, you can not call Porter a traitor for finding a job with another team. My hope is that he ends up somewhere in the NFC. It would have been nice to have hime retire as a Steeler. How much cap room does this leave to lock in Troy?

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I have to agree, you can not call Porter a traitor for finding a job with another team. My hope is that he ends up somewhere in the NFC. It would have been nice to have hime retire as a Steeler. How much cap room does this leave to lock in Troy?

I'm guessing enough, considering it's being reported that the Steelrs are coming insanely close to a deal with him....

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Well, I'm really concerned with the issue of what is going to happen to that position in reguard to who will take over it.

abowens
03-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Joey knew when the season ended, and especially after Cowher left, that he would not be a Steeler because he knew they would pay him or he would hold out. He could not have realistically expected them to make a serious run at him because his definition of "serious run" is way different than the Steelers. So he certainly cannot hold anything against the Steelers. They CAN'T pay him what he wants.

I won't hold anything against Joey - as long as he does not sign with the Bengals or Ravens. The Browns I'm not worried about. Joey's knees will be shot before the Browns are a playoff team.

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Joey knew when the season ended, and especially after Cowher left, that he would not be a Steeler because he knew they would pay him or he would hold out. He could not have realistically expected them to make a serious run at him because his definition of "serious run" is way different than the Steelers. So he certainly cannot hold anything against the Steelers. They CAN'T pay him what he wants.

I won't hold anything against Joey - as long as he does not sign with the Bengals or Ravens. The Browns I'm not worried about. Joey's knees will be shot before the Browns are a playoff team.

Anthony Smith will be retired before the Browns are a playoff team....

In any case Porter is quoted as saying "I'm not holding anything against Pittsburgh, it's been nothing but love..."

www.kdka.com/video
browse video, steelers

there are a few vids on the subject.

RIG58
03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm guessing enough, considering it's being reported that the Steelrs are coming insanely close to a deal with him....

Good:banana:

LambertIsGod58
03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
The Steelers never spend any money....Some will argue that they don't need to. But as a fan, I want them to put the best team they can possibly put together on the field. I'm tired of all the nickle and dime bullshit...spend some f**kin money...act like you have it.

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, I'm really concerned with the issue of what is going to happen to that position in reguard to who will take over it.

My sentiments exactly. Perhaps Colbert and Co are planning on landing Willis or Posluzny in the first round this year ?
But even if that is/was the case,....you'd think they would have to get at least one season under their belt before you could even begin to expect them to fill a void of the likes that which not having Joey creates.

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:37 PM
My sentiments exactly. Perhaps Colbert and Co are planning on landing Willis or Posluzny in the first round this year ?
But even if that is/was the case,....you'd think they would have to get at least one season under their belt before you could even begin to expect them to fill a void of the likes that which not having Joey creates.

Yeah, but I'm thinking of having a starter just fill in or switch the LBs around or something. This could be a big chance for James Harrison also.

abowens
03-01-2007, 06:37 PM
The Steelers came into this offseason over the cap until Hartings retired. His retirement put them just under the $109 mill. They are paying somebody something! They just choose to distribute the money more evenly - some would say more fairly - instead of throwing too much at some star and ending up with 51 other players not worth much more than league minumum. Look at Randy and the Raiders.

klick81
03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Man, i saw it coming from a mile away, but it still sucks. I REALLY didn't want to see Joey go. IMO, he's the leader of our defense.

klick81
03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
HUH? Bandwagon? I don't get it. Jut because somebody is upset that Peezy was released means he's been on some kind of bandwagon? You'll have to explain that one.

You asked what Joey did for us in the Super Bowl? We most likely would not have even been in the Super Bowl were it not for Joey and his sacks vs. Manning. Or did you forget that? Joey was the heart and soul of our defense, whether he was leading by his actions on the field or by being 'vocal' before the game or during the game. The hole he leaves will be very difficult to fill!

As far as him 'not being himself the last year and a half'....... well.... as it has been said by so many others...... NOBODY on the whole team was any better last year. You could make that same statement about 95% of the roster last year.

Good luck Peezy....... I am very sad to see you go, but no matter where you end up you'll always be a Steeler in my eyes! :tt02:

Those are my EXACT sentiments.

tony hipchest
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Adam Schefter just suggested ( not reported ) that the Bungals would love to have Porter and he would be a great fit for the LB poor Bungals!!

More than I hoped Cowher would stay, I hope Porter lands somewhere other than the AFC North!

I think I would feel betrayed! Would he even think of going there? He hates them - right?
porters professional enought to hate everyone besides whos paying him to play. marvin wants to switch to the 3-4 and that defense and their team and defense desperately needs leader

klick81
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't know. I really wish him the best. This guy really wanted to retire a Steeler...and LITP is right. He would LOVE to show the Steelers how wrong they were.

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
My money is on Peezy ending up with another team in our division. :banging:

I doubt he'll end up with the Browns because
A. They passed up on someone as good as LT
B. Winslow + Porter x same team = Possible NFL WWIII/holacost(spl)

I'd laugh if he ended up with Cinci, but if he does he better not feel like he has to fit in and get arrested. Plus, think of him and Ocho double-teaming on 50 yard line trash talk... "and in NFL news today, instead of calling Chad Johnson a (insert insult here) he called (insert Steeler player here) a (insert same insult here)! Talk about turing the tide"
Baltimore, well, let's just say if they got him I would throw a brick though this computer screen...:helmet:

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but I'm thinking of having a starter just fill in or switch the LBs around or something. This could be a big chance for James Harrison also.

I don't know 43. I think Harrison is a solid overall player with good intensity. But i just don't think he's anywhere near the athlete that Joey is,....and i would expect a good degree of drop off in production at the position were he to become the starter. Don't get me wrong,....i think he'd perform well enough for us to 'get by' so to speak.
But i feel like it would be adding just another average player to a Defense that is already lacking in regards to 'elite' players outside of Troy, Hamp, and Aaron.

abowens
03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know. I really wish him the best. This guy really wanted to retire a Steeler...and LITP is right. He would LOVE to show the Steelers how wrong they were.

The Bus wanted to retire a Steeler really bad too and he did! He took some consecutive pay cuts to do so. But Jerome is a rare breed. We can't expect that but once every couple decades!

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I don't know 43. I think Harrison is a solid overall player with good intensity. But i just don't think he's anywhere near the athlete that Joey is,....and i would expect a good degree of drop off in production at the position were he to become the starter. Don't get me wrong,....i think he'd perform well enough for us to 'get by' so to speak.
But i feel like it would be adding just another average player to a Defense that is already lacking in regards to 'elite' players outside of Troy, Hamp, and Aaron.

This is definately true, but a plus with Harrison is that he definately has an intensity about him, not that it's in any comparison to Joey, but it maight help until we can find a perfect fit. The one thing I'm concerned with about him is that he has been known to get penalites for tackling opponents in dangerous ways, like that time he tackled Ocho and almost landed him straight on his head. Now, I'm no fan of Chad, but I still worry about other players getting hurt like that.
Drunk Browns fans however, is a different story...

steelin games
03-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Where is it being reported that we are close to signing Troy?

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
The Bus wanted to retire a Steeler really bad too and he did! He took some consecutive pay cuts to do so. But Jerome is a rare breed. We can't expect that but once every couple decades!

:iagree:

I hate to say it, but Joey is the kind of person who might want revenge, of course, from what he has been saying since the cut he seems okay with it. Of course, it might just be a stunt to get the media to quit bothering him about it.

ChronoCross
03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I could care less if he ends up in the AFC North are in the AFC Period. As long as he finds a place that will pay him what he think he is worth. He will get a good payday and he will not care which team it was with. Sad to see him not a Steeler and on the other side of the ball. I wish Joey the best. He is no traitor ether. He will simply go were the money is.

BenIsAMoron
03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
There must be something going on.. I hate the Steelers and Joey Porter but they had to have a reason other than his play. The Steeler D has plenty of talent anyways ant won't really miss him barring any serious injuries.

abowens
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
The 49er's have a lot of money to spend and Joey is from CA. If he has a choice to go there - or closer to the Bakersfield - then he probably will. And he should. No one should work that far from home. And his wife and kids need him. And the weather there is so much nicer than any region in Ohio or Maryland. There's no place like home. Fly home Peezey - Pleazy fly home!

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
There must be something going on.. I hate the Steelers and Joey Porter but they had to have a reason other than his play. The Steeler D has plenty of talent anyways ant won't really miss him barring any serious injuries.

With all due respect, if you hate the Steelers, then you might not have a clue about the talent on this team and where we need it. Sure, we have talent, but Joey contributed to that. It was all about the money.

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
I agree. I was just getting ready to mention this Paul Posluszny from Penn State. That is supposed to be Linebacker U, right? This kid is really supposed to be something special. Granted I'm sure he won't be able to come in as a rookie and make an immediate impact, but I guess drafting him would be a start. They expect he'll still be around in the first round when the Steelers have their pick.

Dang!!! I just can't get over Peezy's not gonna be a Steeler anymore! Sucks! :dang:

Posluzny should still be on the board at 15 when we pick. He didn't have his best year this last season but many don't take into consideration that he was playing 'out of position' at middle linebacker. And though he was still productive in that respect,.... he was an absolute beast at outside prior to this 'switch'.
Patrick Willis is also a very good prospect. (his style of play actually reminds me of Greg Lloyd). But whatever the case,.....i'm still with you in respects of Joey being released,.....it SUCKS ! LOL

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Good one! I agree! :cheers:

That makes perfect sense. He can go to the 49ers and still stay home with his family. All that moving back and forth had to of been hard for him and his family.
But if he goes to the Raiders I seriously might cry in horror and pity....

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm not as familiar with this Patrick Willis...... but since you've compared him to the Great Greg Lloyd...... well, what can I say...... bring him in!!!

Yeah, can I get a quick 411 on this Willis. I seriously have never heard of him.

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
The one thing I'm concerned with about him is that he has been known to get penalites for tackling opponents in dangerous ways, like that time he tackled Ocho and almost landed him straight on his head. Now, I'm no fan of Chad, but I still worry about other players getting hurt like that.
Drunk Browns fans however, is a different story...

:sofunny: Yes such intensity does have it's benefits. :sofunny:

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, someone else posted something about this. Hopefully this can get under control

~PF43:tt02:

P.S. If these threads dont show that the Steeler nation loved Peezy then I dont know what does

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Better a Raider than a Ratbird!

Yeah, but I would like to see him with a team that can actually win a game.

Perfect team for him
1. NOT IN AFC NORTH!
2. a team that actually can win at least one game and isn't considered crappy.

abowens
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I bet Adalius Thomas is no longer the most sought after LB on the market! Thomas is older than Joey. I'm not sure by how much. But he's 30 and Joey's 29. Thomas was not a regular starter until the last couple years from what I heard on Sirius. My guess is - he's overrated. As much as I loath the Ratbirds, the build up defensive players like the Steelers do. I bet Thomas flames out with another team! He wants big money too. I'm afraid Porter just knocked the wind out of another Ratbird!!

NV STEELERS 723
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
It was a smart move on the STEELERS to cut Peezy...And I don't care who he plays for...how will he feel when he is looking at the back of #39 running by him??????????

Joey is past his prime, but he can still help someone....

The LB position is very replaceable.... RB and QB is not......

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Patrick Willis Lb Ole Miss

Height: 6-1 1/8

Weight: 242 lbs

40 time: 4.50

Strengths:
Very good 'sideline to sideline" speed. Excellent instincts with very good quickeness. Very powerful and is a big hitter. Also very reliable tackler in terms of technique. Good pass rusher on blitzes. Is a tough kid,... whom will do whatever it takes to get on the field. (Hard worker and leader with top notch intangibles)
Has had a very productive college career.

Weaknesses:
Could maybe stand to bulk up. Plays to 'high' at times and though he's adequate in coverage,.....he could stand to improve there.

CargoJon
03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Patrick Willis Lb Ole Miss

Height: 6-1 1/8

Weight: 242 lbs

40 time: 4.50

Strengths:
Very good 'sideline to sideline" speed. Excellent instincts with very good quickeness. Very powerful and is a big hitter. Also very reliable tackler in terms of technique. Good pass rusher on blitzes. Is a tough kid,... whom will do whatever it takes to get on the field. (Hard worker and leader with top notch intangibles)
Has had a very productive college career.

Weaknesses:
Could maybe stand to bulk up. Plays to 'high' at times and though he's adequate in coverage,.....he could stand to improve there.

I think he ran faster than a 4.5 at the combine, but I'm not sure...Over on the Saints board they love this dude...played in the SEC so they all saw him play a lot, similar to our familiarity with Puz being in PA.

I don't know what to say about this Porter thing other than this coach hasn't earned any points with me yet, and he's not off to a good start.:helmet:

abowens
03-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I bet Adalius Thomas is no longer the most sought after LB on the market! Thomas is older than Joey. I'm not sure by how much. But he's 30 and Joey's 29. Thomas was not a regular starter until the last couple years from what I heard on Sirius. My guess is he's benefiting more from being on that defense than based on sheer talent. If he were coming from another team he might not be getting the attention. As much as I loath the Ratbirds, they build up defensive players like the Steelers do. I bet Thomas flames out with another team! He wants big money too. I'm afraid Porter just knocked the wind out of another Ratbird!! Thomas may have just lost some money.

comyns
03-01-2007, 07:32 PM
I wonder if the decision to release Porter reflects doubts about their ability to win this year. It's easy to see how they can use the cap money to be better in the future (e.g. by resigning some of their 2008 free agents) but hard to see how they can use it to be better this year.

Doubts about their ability to win this year would also help explain their decision to choose Tomlin. I am not saying they wouldn't have picked him in any case, but continuity is less important if you're thinking long-term.

CargoJon
03-01-2007, 07:33 PM
"It's one of the decisions you have to make under this current system, and it's definitely a salary cap-related issue where we needed some short-term relief. But we also had to factor in what our cap situation is going to be in 2008 and 2009 and beyond."

...when we play on playing the 4-3 defense....

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I think he ran faster than a 4.5 at the combine, but I'm not sure...Over on the Saints board they love this dude...played in the SEC so they all saw him play a lot, similar to our familiarity with Puz being in PA.

I don't know what to say about this Porter thing other than this coach hasn't earned any points with me yet, and he's not off to a good start.:helmet:

Yeah he did run a 4.49 on one of his runs. But i guess the 4.5 is being listed as his 'official' time. Either way though,.... that's still very good speed for a linebacker with his power and athleticism.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
rather have a DE in the 1st, should be a LB in 2nd

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
people are wondering where the leadership will come from now that porter is gone. it will come from tomlin and i think that crystal clear message was sent signed, sealed, and delivered to all the players today.

i dont think tomlin wants to speak over anybody, and hes not going to let joeys voice be the loudest on the team. this move could be looked at as much symbolic as it was econimical.

the steel gauntlet has officially been handed over to tomlin

The idea that the Steelers need someone screaming in order to have a "leader" is open to debate. I have thought Farrior has been more of a quiet leader than he was given credit for and that, as far as "leadership" goes, Joey jumped the shark at the SB when he consistently started to act as the star of the Joey Porter Show and believed the NFL was pro wrestling.

There are different ways to succeed; if anyone has a chance to catch the "America's Team" program on the '78 Steelers when it is rebroadcast someday, Bleier said Noll actively discouraged "rah-rah" motivation and believed it was execution and not emotion (which wears down eventually) that wins championships - Noll & Belichick have the records to back up that conclusion.

Porter gave the Steelers a lot of good years - good luck to him but he may find out not a lot of teams share his view he is worth wildly more than his current contract.

In terms of looking forward rather than back, thanks again to Bill "I'm outta here" Cowher for not giving Harrison more snaps at OLB the last month of the season - need to draft high or sign someone, although I agree some of Peezey's $$ are hopefully going in the direction of Troy and Faneca.

Hard to believe how much has changed in the last 12 months.

ChronoCross
03-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I bet Adalius Thomas is no longer the most sought after LB on the market! Thomas is older than Joey. I'm not sure by how much. But he's 30 and Joey's 29. Thomas was not a regular starter until the last couple years from what I heard on Sirius. My guess is - he's overrated. As much as I loath the Ratbirds, the build up defensive players like the Steelers do. I bet Thomas flames out with another team! He wants big money too. I'm afraid Porter just knocked the wind out of another Ratbird!!

Really come on you start one Thread with this and have this in another thread you started. Keep it all combine.. There is no need for multiple threads on the same deal.

And to answer you on Adalius he is not hurting one bit he will get a bigger contract then joey will and it will be a very big contract. Adalius will hit the 49ers up for about 60mil long term deal. Porter will be lucky to get 30mil.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
exactly but hopefully we still have some 3-4 looks

Showdaddeee
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
How can you drop your vocal leader of your defense. I will miss seeing him smack talk the entire team on the otherside of the field. I just can't see why we couldn't of restructured his contract. For crying out loud, Payten Manning did his again this yer for the team.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 07:59 PM
There are different ways to succeed; if anyone has a chance to catch the "America's Team" program on the '78 Steelers when it is rebroadcast someday, Bleier said Noll actively discouraged "rah-rah" motivation and believed it was execution and not emotion (which wears down eventually) that wins championships - Noll & Belichick have the records to back up that conclusion.

Actually, Dan, thanks to your tip, I bought both programs on the '75 and '78 Steelers for $1.99 each on iTunes and found them both to be excellent (thank you - I don't have NFL Network, thanks to Comcast). :thumbsup:

However, you think Lambert wasn't as vocal as Porter? Irregardless that Lambert was the far superior LB of the two....

Showdaddeee
We are going to draft a LB or DE for sure now. I was really looking for a stud WR or stud Safety. Oh well thats why I'm not a GM, lol.

drew102e
bet they both end up on non-contenders, thats what happens when you chase the $$$

BenIsAMoron
03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
With all due respect, if you hate the Steelers, then you might not have a clue about the talent on this team and where we need it. Sure, we have talent, but Joey contributed to that. It was all about the money.

With all due respect, my entire fricking family is from some "township" or something in Penn and migrated out to the West with Steeler blood in their veins. I was raised on Steeler football, owned a terrible towel in the 70's and was forced to wear Steeler pajamas. I was 12 years old an in attendance for the Steelers/Rams SB. I wasn't even a bandwagon guy, it was all I knew, not just Bradshaw, Swanny, Lambert, Greene, Shell but even Bubby Brister to Louis Lipps with Merrill and Worley in the backfield.

Add that in with becoming a Seahawk fan sometime in 89 and you have someone who knows about Steeler football. I watch their games with family members nearly every week and root against them. Hasn't been a good ride for me, until last year of course. So please cut me just a hair of slack on the talent judgment. Just because I hate them, doesn't mean I don't know them. If it was about money, I am somewhat surprised. I know the Rooney family is tighter than my Father-in-Law at an expensive resturaunt but I didn't think they were that tight.

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
I wonder if the decision to release Porter reflects doubts about their ability to win this year. It's easy to see how they can use the cap money to be better in the future (e.g. by resigning some of their 2008 free agents) but hard to see how they can use it to be better this year.

Doubts about their ability to win this year would also help explain their decision to choose Tomlin. I am not saying they wouldn't have picked him in any case, but continuity is less important if you're thinking long-term.

I actually thought this year was the last round-up for this version of the team; even if all other FAs are resigned, players like Farrior, Haggans, and Faneca will be showing definite age by 2008. I believe there was a concern Porter was going to be a problem (holdout and distraction once he came in without a new contract) and the Steelers decided the definite benefits of having him back were not worth the downside even though they are a weaker team for 2007 unless something is in the works to replace Porter.

If Cowher was still here Porter could have been lured back for 2007 and then cut loose (see, e.g., Cowher saying Carnelll Lake would always be a Steeler 2 months before Lake left) but Porter had no reason to play ball with Tomlin.

Ob la di, ob la da, life goes on

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Add that in with becoming a Seahawk fan sometime in 89 and you have someone who knows about Steeler football....I know the Rooney family is tighter than my Father-in-Law at an expensive resturaunt but I didn't think they were that tight.

Yes, we don't have the luxury of having an owner that is one of the 10 richest men in the world with money to burn....

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Yes, we don't have the luxury of having an owner that is one of the 10 richest men in the world with money to burn....

Exactly. :helmet:

Steeldude
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM
a very smart move. porter hasn't played well since 2002 and his salary was too high. he was an average LB who looked better because of the steelers' 3-4 scheme. this release will free up a little over 5 mil in cap room.

i don't expect the porter fans to grasp the value of this release.

Steeldude
03-01-2007, 08:17 PM

what kind of production are you referring to? i am quite positive that harrison can rack up a handful of tackles, disappear for many games and babble incoherently during pre-game warmups.

porter was nothing more than average. the last few years he has turned into gildon.

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Bet ya Porter flames out with another team also. He is on his down side.

lilyoder6
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
i wanna know why in the hell we resign st. pierre unless it's the league's min salary.

Steeldude
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM
How can you drop your vocal leader of your defense. I will miss seeing him smack talk the entire team on the otherside of the field. I just can't see why we couldn't of restructured his contract. For crying out loud, Payten Manning did his again this yer for the team.

any fool can yell. yelling "who ride, we ride" does not mean he was a leader. if porter wanted to be a leader he would ave led by example, not consistently disappear.

no point hanging onto an aging LB who is nothing more than average.

Steeldude
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
i hope porter goes to one the of teams in the AFC north. that will be one less defender the steelers will have to account for.

BenIsAMoron
03-01-2007, 08:23 PM

I understand that. I think the way free agency developed ruined the whole idea of team loyalty. It kind of sucks that there can't be a team like a 70's Steelers or late 80's Niners ever again. Whatever the ownership is doing there, it seems to work though. In the big picture, the Steelers have been very successful as of late. They are the vicitims of being in a division that plays very tough within itself. I don't know how long it will work though, maybe Old Man Rooney will make paranormal contact and tell the HO it is time to spend some money.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I think the way free agency developed ruined the whole idea of team loyalty. It kind of sucks that there can't be a team like a 70's Steelers or late 80's Niners ever again.

That is something you and I both definitely agree on. I don't care for parity, because to me it's pretty much synonymous with mediocrity. I want to see excellence on the field.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I understand that. I think the way free agency developed ruined the whole idea of team loyalty. It kind of sucks that there can't be a team like a 70's Steelers or late 80's Niners ever again. Whatever the ownership is doing there, it seems to work though. In the big picture, the Steelers have been very successful as of late. They are the vicitims of being in a division that plays very tough within itself. I don't know how long it will work though, maybe Old Man Rooney will make paranormal contact and tell the HO it is time to spend some money.

i think they spend $$ wisely on their own player and hardly ever are strapped with much 'dead money'

i would rather they spend the 5 mill on troys signing bonus

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Without a cap and free agency we could enjoy watching the Cowboys and Redskins be the NFL equivalent of the Yankees and Red Sox - it is a shame to see players leave but the alternative would be a much less competitive Steelers team.

BenIsAMoron
03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
i would rather they spend the 5 mill on troys signing bonus

That makes perfect sense. IMO the reason Joey was able to be so aggressive with pass rush was Pittsburgh had that stud back there anyways (Farrior and Haggans are great players too) I don't like him just for his hair either, that dude can play defense, I mean this kid is young still and he is everywhere, plays the run like an LB and has good sense for the ball down the middle. Plus he is good friends with my favorite player Lofa Tatupu. The effort he gives is tremendous. How many times have you seen him reach out and grab a dude with one hand and still get him down when it looked like he was beat?

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Without a cap and free agency we could enjoy watching the Cowboys and Redskins be the NFL equivalent of the Yankees and Red Sox - it is a shame to see players leave but the alternative would be a much less competitive Steelers team.

I agree with the part about the cap, but not free agency. Plan B is one of the big reasons why player salaries are on the far side of ridiculous today.

drew102e
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
gotta love troy...damn USC keeps cranking them out

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
what kind of production are you referring to? i am quite positive that harrison can rack up a handful of tackles, disappear for many games and babble incoherently during pre-game warmups.

porter was nothing more than average. the last few years he has turned into gildon.

"Why Steeldude,....if i didn't think you were my friend,......i don't know if i could bear it" LOL
It sounds as if your perspective on Joey is driven more so by personal feelings as oppossed to his actual onfield performance. Though he's no longer in his prime,.....he is nothing like Gildon was the season before he was released.
Is he (Peezy) one of the top 3 backers in the league ? No,.....but he's certainly not 'average' by any means. (That would be James Harrison)

jjpro11
03-01-2007, 08:51 PM
look for the pass d to get even worse. harrison cannot cover anyone.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 08:55 PM
How many times have you seen him (Polamalu) reach out and grab a dude with one hand and still get him down when it looked like he was beat?

That tackle he made while falling backwards against Denver in the '05 AFCCG is one of the most athletic plays I've seen anyone make in years.

ChronoCross
03-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I see no reason for anyone to bark at each other. Its pretty simple that there will be split feelings over his release by the fans. He was great as a Steeler while he was here. His time has come and gone has so many players since the franchise has been around. In away everyone will miss him, as we missed so many others that have been cut and left. Best you can do is wish him best were ever he goes. And not get in a fight why he should of stayed and why he should be gone.

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
I see no reason for anyone to bark at each other. Its pretty simple that there will be split feelings over his release by the fans. He was great as a Steeler while he was here. His time has come and gone has so many players since the franchise has been around. In away everyone will miss him, as we missed so many others that have been cut and left. Best you can do is wish him best were ever he goes. And not get in a fight why he should of stayed and why he should be gone.

Well said Chrono. At the end of the day,...time moves on and change is inevitable. Here's to hoping that such change is for the better in terms of this organization's onfield success.

skinart82
03-01-2007, 09:26 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I guess if you get off the bandwagon then
that will give us room for one more.
I hate to see Porter go but it has been coming and it is time
for a change on this defense and he just wasnt himself the last season
and a half. What did he do during that super bowl? Nothing... that
was a team effort on that defense because you didnt hear just
one name mentioned all night, especially not Porters'..
Now, dont get me wrong, I hate to see Porter go but maybe he will prove me wrong somewhere else and I hope he does as long as it isnt
against the Steelers, but I think that his Best days is definitely behind
him..

I don't see how my comments had anything to do with me being on a bandwagon. Sorry my opinion differs from yours. I just think this was a huge mistake and we'll see if I'm right when the season starts. Trust me I hope I'm wrong, I want the Steelers to win it all again and I hope they go onto do it again and again.

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Well put :cheers:

With the cap the NFL is like investing in stocks, where the goal is to buy low and sell high.

Porter may have still been worth the $5 mil (bonus & salary) he would cost for this year, but he was not worth a big new contract coming back in 2008. Ed.B. of the P-G is running the story the Steelers were concerned the issue of Porter's unhappiness with his salary was something they did not want Tomlin to need to address.

Few players are irreplaceable, but the Steelers do not appear to have a plan regarding what to do now at LB. The 2006 season was wasted on both the level of defending the title and planning for the future - thanks again Bill

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Few players are irreplaceable, but the Steelers do not appear to have a plan regarding what to do now at LB.

Agreed. There are only two players currently on the roster who I would consider "irreplaceable" - Troy and Ben. That's it. As far as the LB situation, that's something they'll need to address in the draft.

Edman
03-01-2007, 09:55 PM
I'll be hated for this, but here goes...

If Joey wasn't cut, it was going to be an distracting and ugly offseason. If you thought this was bad, just imagine the trouble during the holdout. It was clearly obvious that he was on the decline in 2006. On top of that, he's hit the proverbial 30. Remember Gildon? The Steelers got rid of him way too late, and they weren't going to make the same mistake twice.

Also, It boggles my mind how people say we're without a leader and "imtimidator" with Joey gone. Hello? Didn't you watch 2006? They didn't have a leader when he was here once Bussie left! The Steelers were highly undisciplined and complacent. Joey and the D didn't intimidate anybody. Joey barked pre-game and disappeared once the game started on several occasions. This was also the same "leader" who commited two stupid personal foul penalties against the Ratbirds!

I like Joey and I'll miss him, but he was far from being this invaluable, leadership cog people make him out to be. If this were back in 2004/2005, I'd feel a lot different about Joey leaving. But time goes on, Cowher is gone, and it's time for change.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 10:01 PM

If Joey wasn't cut, it was going to be an distracting and ugly offseason. If you thought this was bad, just imagine the trouble during the holdout. It was clearly obvious that he was on the decline in 2006. On top of that, he's hit the proverbial 30. Remember Gildon? The Steelers got rid of him way too late, and they weren't going to make the same mistake twice.

Also, It boggles my mind how people say we're without a leader and "imtimidator" with Joey gone. Hello? Didn't you watch 2006? They didn't have a leader when he was here once Bussie left! The Steelers were highly undisciplined and complacent. Joey and the D didn't intimidate anybody. Joey barked pre-game and disappeared once the game started on several occasions. This was also the same "leader" who commited two stupid personal foul penalties against the Ratbirds!

I like Joey and I'll miss him, but he was far from being this invaluable, leadership cog people make him out to be. If this were back in 2004/2005, I'd feel a lot different about Joey leaving. But time goes on, Cowher is gone, and it's time for change.

Add a lame duck coach to this mix and you get an 8-8 season. Couldn't agree more.

abowens
03-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Pro Football Talk is reporting that Porter and his agent were stunned by this development. Has anyone heard why he would be stunned? It's been all over the media for the last week. Everyone pundit and reporter has said it was coming. Porter knew the Steelers could not pay him and hope to retain Troy - much less Faneca. How in the world could he be surprised? PFT reported that Porter was expecting a deal to get done. Is it possible that his agent blew it and is now feigning surprise to cover his failure? Has anyone heard or seen anything that would support or refute that report?

ajs8207
03-01-2007, 10:10 PM

:iagree: Your exactly right. He will be missed, but we can get a couple players with his cap number that will impact the team much more than Joey would have. I think people are overreacting. We lose "great" linebackers all the time (Gildon, Lloyd, etc), and we are just fine, while the player struggles in his new home.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
We lose "great" linebackers all the time (Gildon, Lloyd, etc), and we are just fine, while the player struggles in his new home.

Not to mention Chad Brown & Levon Kirkland. We'll be fine. Joey was a widely loved player and alot of folks are overly emotional about his release at the moment. Things will settle down.

verks36
03-01-2007, 10:25 PM
This is a sad day porter realeased just hurts to even think about... the good news james harrison is a mighty fine player

melroseplace
03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I will miss Peezy...he always made me laugh and was a good leader (IMO). it will definitely be weird to see him wearing colors that aren't black and gold

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I will miss Peezy....it will definitely be weird to see him wearing colors that aren't black and gold

I got over it with Woodson, I'm sure the same will be true with Peezy. Actually, for me it will probably easier with Peezy as Peezy got a SB ring here. It sucked watching Woodson get his only SB ring in Ratbirdland.

SteelCzar76
03-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I got over it with Woodson, I'm sure the same will be true with Peezy. Actually, for me it will probably easier with Peezy as Peezy got a SB ring here. It sucked watching Woodson get his only SB ring in Ratbirdland.

I agree fully 76. I still hold a grudge with Donahoe and even Coach Cowher (to a slight degree) for how they handled the situation with Rod. (Especially in light of all the clown db's we've been subjected to since his departure)
But like you said,.... most will get over Peezy's departure. At the end of the day it's about the importance of the success of the Steelers organization. And not any particular player, coach or G.M. :helmet:

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I still hold a grudge with Donahoe and even Coach Cowher (to a slight degree) for how they handled the situation with Rod.

Same here, Czar. Woodson was a once-in-a-generation kind of player - one of the all-time greats. While Peezy is a very, very good LB, he's not quite on that level, IMO.

R2sojr
03-01-2007, 10:54 PM
im officially disgusted....1st they hire a coach with what a resume of a db coach...then they release 2 players that are pure contributors....they make me sick....y do they always release players that are good...what because they dont wanna pay the money....how can a stingy team like ours have so little cap room....i dont care what anyone says...if it aint broke dont try to fix it...well they rooneys just broke it and they can kiss my ass....y is it always 2-3 good years then they start releasing ppl...i know its a buisness but damn...im just sick of it.

R2sojr
03-01-2007, 10:57 PM
a very smart move. porter hasn't played well since 2002 and his salary was too high. he was an average LB who looked better because of the steelers' 3-4 scheme. this release will free up a little over 5 mil in cap room.

Hasnt played well since 2002?? please come out of the bushes, he had 10 1/2 sacks in the XL season...he was our defensive leader who had the balls to run his mouth and back it up...where u been??:dang:

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
im officially disgusted....1st they hire a coach with what a resume of a db coach...then they release 2 players that are pure contributors....they make me sick....y do they always release players that are good...what because they dont wanna pay the money....how can a stingy team like ours have so little cap room....i dont care what anyone says...if it aint broke dont try to fix it...well they rooneys just broke it and they can kiss my ass....y is it always 2-3 good years then they start releasing ppl...i know its a buisness but damn...im just sick of it.

Were you around for the '90s when Plan B first came about and we lost a ton of good players every year through the turnstile on the clubhouse door at the time? This is nothing, believe me.

R2sojr
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Were you around for the '90s when Plan B first came about and we lost a ton of good players every year through the turnstile on the clubhouse door at the time? This is nothing, believe me.

yeah but dont you see it coming again...and it just makes me sick....you invest alot of time and love for this team then they kinda break that chain...its just hard to see players like that go and it takes awhile to get over....:crying02:

Preacher
03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't have the same response as most other people. Let us think this through for a second.

1. Joey has hinted at staying out of camp last year. Then, this year, it also became a problem about him getting his contract done.

2. He was taking up too much room in the cap... "$4 million in base salary and $1 million on his roster bonus. This year! Don't forget. We have to sign Troy next year, as well as a couple others.

3. Steeler linebackers are speedbacks. Joey is what... 30? Speed and age are not friends.

4. Joey's next salary would tie us up with more money for a deteriorating back... just at the time when we need more money going to young backs.

pitt
03-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't like Porter and I'm happy that he is gone from the team.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
yeah but dont you see it coming again...and it just makes me sick....you invest alot of time and love for this team then they kinda break that chain...its just hard to see players like that go and it takes awhile to get over....:crying02:

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed to see Peezy go, but I knew it was coming. However, I've lived and died with this team for over 30 years and my devotion hasn't wavered yet, nor will it ever. :tt02:

R2sojr
03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't have the same response as most other people. Let us think this through for a second.

1. Joey has hinted at staying out of camp last year. Then, this year, it also became a problem about him getting his contract done.

2. He was taking up too much room in the cap... "$4 million in base salary and $1 million on his roster bonus. This year! Don't forget. We have to sign Troy next year, as well as a couple others.

3. Steeler linebackers are speedbacks. Joey is what... 30? Speed and age are not friends.

4. Joey's next salary would tie us up with more money for a deteriorating back... just at the time when we need more money going to young backs.

i can see your point and its a good one at that.....but so many ppl are caught up with steelers bein so stingy they see a contract like that and are amazed...believe me his contract is nothig compared to some other lb's....and he still is a top nfl lb that cant be denied....but my question is?....HOW CAN THEY NOT HAVE CAP ROOM WHEN THEY DONT PAY REALLY ANYTHING ANYWAYS??

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
believe me his contract is nothig compared to some other lb's

NFL's top-paid LBs (as of 2/16/07 from USA Today):

Ray Lewis Balt. $8,428,571
Zach Thomas mia. $7,287,000
Keith Bulluck Tenn. $7,108,688
Derrick Brooks TB $6,907,083
Takeo Spikes Buff. $6,300,000

Three of the five players listed above (Thomas, Brooks, Spikes) played on losing teams in '06. Another (Bulluck) was on a team that went 8-8 (just like we did). See a correlation? THAT is why you don't overpay players, at least if you want your team to be successful.

The Duke
03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Damn, I've been waiting for the news all week and thought I was prepared,well guess I'm not :crying01:. Thanks for everything Peezy.

Preacher
03-01-2007, 11:24 PM
i can see your point and its a good one at that.....but so many ppl are caught up with steelers bein so stingy they see a contract like that and are amazed...believe me his contract is nothig compared to some other lb's....and he still is a top nfl lb that cant be denied....but my question is?....HOW CAN THEY NOT HAVE CAP ROOM WHEN THEY DONT PAY REALLY ANYTHING ANYWAYS??

Well... for one, they have what... 5 million in dead money.. maybe more.

Second, they spread thier money around. That is how we are always near the top. Third, we are having to spend some bigger money on higher round picks that have done well, Ben, Polamalu, also Ward (bigger second contract), etc.

yinzer-inseattle
03-02-2007, 02:01 AM

Preach

Great analysis! I agree this is about projecting Porters productivity for the year against what they are going to pay for it. In addition, there's not much of a chance he would have been signed beyond this so that means we're in this same position next year with more pressing needs.

As for the leadership vacuum left by Porter; someone will step up. Personally, I'd like to see Aaron Smith or Troy take on that role. Without Porter they may be able to get a word in edgewise.

Steel Pit
03-02-2007, 02:08 AM

Well I certainly grasp it and agree with you 100%.

aussiesteelers
03-02-2007, 02:30 AM
if we wanted to improve this year, we needed to release him so we can have more money to spend on Troy, Faneca and other players we pick up this offseason.We were only an 8-8 team last year.

Elvis
03-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Good luck to Joey whereever he ends up at..
:tt02:

X-Terminator
03-02-2007, 05:59 AM

So would you had rather them pay Porter and lose Troy and/or Ben? Because that's what they were looking at had they re-signed him to a top 5 LB contract. The Steelers have been wildly successful doing it their way for years, and not overpaying for players. Looking at some of the teams that have poured money out of their wallets on a consistent basis...what exactly has any of them done in the past year? 5 years? 10 years? Would you rather the Steelers become the Redskins?

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 06:00 AM
NFL's top-paid LBs (as of 2/16/07 from USA Today):

Ray Lewis Balt. $8,428,571
Zach Thomas mia. $7,287,000
Keith Bulluck Tenn. $7,108,688
Derrick Brooks TB $6,907,083
Takeo Spikes Buff. $6,300,000

Three of the five players listed above (Thomas, Brooks, Spikes) played on losing teams in '06. Another (Bulluck) was on a team that went 8-8 (just like we did). See a correlation? THAT is why you don't overpay players, at least if you want your team to be successful.

Well, if Porter was hoping for numbers like this then I'm really surprised he didn't go sooner, to put it bluntly.
Good luck Joey with whatever team your with!

ARKIESTEEL
03-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Shows the new coach isnt scared to make a tuff call on a player

I for one like the move

DACEB
03-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Great posts by so many of you to list. It was a tough call but needed to be done. Many of us loved Joey and there were also the haters. In the end he was a great player for us and you have to admit gave us some great quotes also. I for one will miss Joey but I'm also disappointed that he obviously was not willing to negotiate a fair price for now and the future. Let's see what he gets on the market.

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Porter a terrific teammate
He wasn't a Ham or a Lambert, but Porter was one of a kind
Friday, March 02, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Strictly talking business, it makes perfect sense for the Steelers to get rid of Joey Porter. His performance slipped badly last season. The team has every right to believe that Porter, soon to be 30, with a game based on speed and quickness, no longer can get the job done at a high level, certainly not at a level worth $5 million. Once it reached that decision, it had to let him go.

But that doesn't mean Porter doesn't deserve a proper send-off.

He should be remembered as one of the Steelers' all-time great players, maybe not Hall of Fame great along the lines of Ham and Lambert, but great enough that the franchise wouldn't have won Super Bowl XL without him.

Porter had some career here.

You also might have heard along the way that he was something of a fascinating character.

What do President Bush and NFL players Ray Lewis, William Green, Jerramy Stevens, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Peyton Manning and his bunch of softies from Indianapolis have in common?

Yep, Porter.

I'm already missing the guy.

Porter never was the team leader that Jerome Bettis was or even that Levon Kirkland and Dermontti Dawson were before him, but he provided plenty of emotion to the Steelers in a sport that thrives on it. He did it before games when he pranced back and forth at midfield, helmet off, wearing a black beanie and eye black, his massive tattooed forearms and washboard stomach exposed, taunting someone, anyone, from the other team. He did it during games when he played well enough that Sports Illustrated put him on the cover of its NFL preview edition last year and called him the league's "most feared player." And he did it after games -- after the many victories anyway -- when he led the team in its traditional "Who Ride?" chant.

The other players loved Porter.

We loved his passion.

Yes, Porter went too far at times, sometimes way too far, as when he used a homophobic term to describe Winslow Jr., the Cleveland Browns' tight end, after a game last season. He went to the Baltimore Ravens' bus in an attempt to fight Lewis after the game here in 2003 because he felt Lewis had made light of his buttocks wound after he was the random victim of a drive-by shooting in Denver earlier that season. And he was ejected before the game in Cleveland in 2004 after he and Green were involved in a brief fight in warm-ups.

Certainly, Porter overreacted to media coverage of his light-hearted remarks directed against President Bush not long before the Steelers were to visit the White House as Super Bowl champions in June. Even though his comments were portrayed accurately -- as being said in jest -- he threw a fit, even issuing a ridiculous statement through the team. He then made matters worse by showing up at the ceremony in the East Room as the only player wearing sunglasses. It wasn't just disrespectful; he looked ridiculous.

But more often than not, Porter pushed the right buttons, not just his teammates' but those of opposing players. He called out Manning and the Colts as a finesse team before the Steelers played them in the AFC playoffs after the 2005 season, then backed up his words with a brilliant performance that included two late sacks, giving him 61/2 in six games down the stretch and into the playoffs. (He added another and a forced fumble in the win against the Denver Broncos in the AFC championship game). Before Super Bowl XL, he flat out called Stevens, the Seattle Seahawks' tight end, soft, just about the worst thing you can label an NFL player short of that homophobic word. It was easy to think he got into Stevens' head after Stevens dropped three passes in the Steelers' 21-10 win.

Those are wonderful memories, to be sure.

But the best memories of Porter involve his soft side.

Shhhh!

Don't tell Peyton and Stevens.

Late in the 2005 season, Porter organized an amazing tribute to Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau. He and the other defensive players wore LeBeau's retro No. 44 Detroit Lions' jersey to Heinz Field before a game against the Lions. LeBeau cried.

But the topper came at Super Bowl XL when Porter, after clearing it with Bill Cowher, made sure Bettis was sent out alone when the Steelers were introduced as a team in the pregame introductions in Bettis' hometown of Detroit. Porter could be seen on camera, holding back his teammates, all of whom were eager to get on the field for the biggest game of their lives, yet deferred to his wishes. "I wanted the cameras to shine on Jerome alone," Porter said after the game.

The guy wasn't just a great player.

He was a great teammate.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07061/766257-87.stm

Big D
03-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Why are we steeler fans so scared of change? man everything is going to be fine. I hardly doubt it will get any worse then an 8-8 season to begin with. LLoyd,greene,brown,kirkland and bell. Those are some other linebackers that we have let go the past ten years. Was it the end of the world when we lost any of them?

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Porter had to go

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 2, 2007

You can't blame the Steelers for giving Joey Porter the boot.
It was the only sensible move.

Let's be honest. Porter is past his prime, and there's no way the Steelers were going to extend his contract beyond this season.

He turns 30 on March 22 and has missed significant parts of the past two training camps because of surgeries on both knees.

Porter would have made $5 million this season -- a $1 million roster bonus that was due next Tuesday, plus a $4 million salary. For a club so tight under the cap, better to free the cash and address a couple of problem areas.

One of those is the lack of an edge pass-rusher. And make no mistake, Porter had clearly lost his edge there.

Sure, he recorded seven sacks last season, but six of those came in games against Oakland, Tampa Bay and Miami. He also had four games of one or zero tackles.

Matt Williamson, formerly a scout for the Cleveland Browns, breaks down video of Steelers games each week for ESPN's Scouts Inc. He says Porter still is good in coverage and fairly stout against the run. But Porter can no longer get to the quarterback, unless he's facing a mediocre tackle or racing through a lane created by Dick LeBeau's elaborate defensive schemes.

"I think he's declined noticeably," Williamson said. "I think he benefits from the scheme, but he also understands it so well that he takes full advantage of it.

"And while he made plays, he made them against inferior players. He's not that blind-side, off-the-edge, dynamic guy they need in that defense. He was, at one point."

Yeah, like as recently as the stretch run two years ago, when he salvaged an otherwise mediocre campaign with a late-season surge.

Last season, Porter's main achievement was posing for the most ridiculous Sports Illustrated cover on record -- the one that pictured him next to the headline: "Most Feared Man in the NFL."

I asked Williamson if he could find the most recent video clip of Porter beating a high-quality tackle. He might as well have tried to find the Loch Ness Monster.

"It certainly wasn't in the Super Bowl," Williamson said. "(Seattle tackle) Walter Jones abused him.

"Even against the Colts (in the AFC Divisional playoffs two years ago), it was more scheme than him beating a guy off the edge. I can't quote a date, that's for sure."

Porter probably could have played out his contract with one more decent season, but only if he made it through training camp without imploding in a fit of self-pity. That is, if he showed up at all -- and you figure he would have, so as not to lose money.

A potential implosion had to be another factor in the Steelers' decision to release Porter. He had enough pull in that locker room to create a serious problem for new coach Mike Tomlin.

This move works toward the opposite end.

It serves as a symbolic severing from the Bill Cowher era. Porter, after all, was Cowher's top lieutenant.

Tomlin will pick his own, or he'll let another emerge.

Porter thought he should have been rewarded with a contract extension after the Super Bowl. He started moaning about it before last season, complaining to the NFL Network of a perceived lack of respect.

Wisely, the Steelers stayed the course.

They made the mistake of signing soon-to-be 30-year-old linebacker Jason Gildon to a five-year, $23 million extension in 2002 and weren't about to make a similar slip.

All of which shouldn't devalue Porter's immense contributions over his eight-year career. A three-time Pro Bowl pick with 60 career sacks, he could be entertaining off the field and dominating on it.

For the first nine games of the 2002 season, he was as good as any defensive player in the game.

Porter played hurt, played hard and played proud. His energy fueled the Super Bowl run.

One of the lasting images from that year is Porter maniacally leading the team in one of his "Who Ride? We Ride!" chants.

Now, it's time for the Steelers to ride into free agency and pick up a player or two. After that comes the draft.

Porter will be replaced and will sign with another team. Life will go on.

That's how it works in the NFL.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_495752.html

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
A potential implosion had to be another factor in the Steelers' decision to release Porter. He had enough pull in that locker room to create a serious problem for new coach Mike Tomlin.

This move works toward the opposite end.

It serves as a symbolic severing from the Bill Cowher era. Porter, after all, was Cowher's top lieutenant.

Tomlin will pick his own, or he'll let another emerge.
i think this is really what it was mostly about. sure the salary cap relief helps. but joey and tomlin would be like 2 lead alpha male lions struggling for control of the pack. like i said yesterday, tomlin and the rooneys sent a clear message to the team, whos team this is, whos in charge, and whose the leader.

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I do not think the cut reflects a concern about Porter fighting to take the team away from Tomlin - as many of the fine posts on this thread have stated, as have the P-G and Trib-Review, Porter has jumped the shark as a player and may have been more disruptive in the locker room about his contract last season than even his public bleatings indicated.

This is sexist, but it is like having a high maintenance significant other - once certain benefits are not what they used to be you no longer are willing to put up with the hassles of living with all the drama. Porter's skills have deteriorated to the point the Steelers no longer wanted all the crap that comes with the Peezey package.

Of course, the marketplace is the ultimate decisionmaker - with all the crazy $$ that are being tossed around, let's see how much Joey gets now that he has a chance to get what he regards as fair value for his talent.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Of course, the marketplace is the ultimate decisionmaker - with all the crazy $$ that are being tossed around, let's see how much Joey gets now that he has a chance to get what he regards as fair value for his talent.

I have a feeling he'll be ridiculously overpaid by a losing team. Yes, that means you, Snyder.

herewegosteelers
03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I am not surprised, but man this really sucks, I love Joey. Great player & what a bod!!!

Edman
03-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm happy to see that others are beginning to come to their senses now. Steeler fans love and will miss Peezy(Well, most of them), but there comes a time where things have to change and improvements have to be made. Let's face it. Peezy was nowhere near the player he once was, and as I said before, He's hit 30. Mix age with bad knees and you have a lethal combo for a linebacker. It's hard, but the Steelers did what was for the best.

We as fans have to stop being conservative and embrace change. When Tomlin was brought in, we should've expected things like this to happen. This also tells us that Tomlin has the balls to cut a team icon and fan favorite who is declining. This is only the beginning folks, only the beginning. The Steelers we know and love are transforming right before our eyes.

Preacher
03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I am really looking forward to the draft and next year. It seems that we now have a coach that is willing to pull the trigger when necessary. I can't WAIT until next year. And by the way... Looking at film, how much do you bet the coaches saw no dropoff, or very little dropoff between Peezy and Harrison's games!

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
I am really looking forward to the draft and next year. It seems that we now have a coach that is willing to pull the trigger when necessary. I can't WAIT until next year. And by the way... Looking at film, how much do you bet the coaches saw no dropoff, or very little dropoff between Peezy and Harrison's games!

Preacher - Good question on the Porter/Harrison comparison; unfortunately, we would have a much better answer if Cowher would have given Harrison more snaps at OLB in December. Of course Cowher had no interest in who might be at OLB in 2007.

I also am looking forward to a new regime since by his actions over the last year Cowher did a great job of burning through a lot of the goodwill he had built up over most of the previous 14 seasons.

The Duke
03-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm not so sure it's a matter of 'us coming to our senses'.
Fact of the matter is, Joey was an awesome player. We watched him for many years and as a Steeler he was part of our Steeler Nation. It's just very hard/sad to have to say goodbye to him, just as it was to say goodbye to Woodson, Lloyd, Greene, Brown, Kirkland, etc. None of those guys leaving our beloved Black & Gold was an easy pill to swallow.

Realistically? Yes, I suppose it does make sense.... but that still doesn't make it any easier. I have complete trust in the Rooneys because of their track record in this area. Over the years we have lost a lot of good players, but the Rooneys/coaching staff, for the most part, have always come through and found very suitable replacements. I have no doubt they will do the same this time too.

This might sound a little 'overboard', but to me these guys are like family.... and it's just hard to have to say goodbye. Hardest for me was saying goodbye to Lloyd. This one ranks right below that. So, yes, some of us have been quite emotional, but some of us also still trust in the system the Steelers have and have seen it work time and time again.

Yeah that's the hardest, the goodbye. I guess we can only wish them the best. They have always been there for us, kinda like our family, Good luck Joey. I just hope we don't release anybody else that will be hard to see leave.

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah that's the hardest, the goodbye. I guess we can only wish them the best. They have always been there for us, kinda like our family, Good luck Joey. I just hope we don't release anybody else that will be hard to see leave.

I agree, its alot easier to sit here and spectulate than to face the music.

SteelCzar76
03-02-2007, 06:27 PM
And by the way... Looking at film, how much do you bet the coaches saw no dropoff, or very little dropoff between Peezy and Harrison's games!

"Bwoi Staaahhhp",.....for lack of more efficient words. LOL

Disclaimer: This post contains ATL slang vernacular version of "Boy stop". Ie: Knock it off, Stop playing and or"Surely you jest" ? LMAO

Livinginthe past
03-02-2007, 06:43 PM

That you Mayor Quimby?

NM

SteelCzar76
03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
That you Mayor Quimby?

NM

:sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

drew102e
03-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I have complete trust in the Rooneys because of their track record in this area. Over the years we have lost a lot of good players, but the Rooneys/coaching staff, for the most part, have always come through and found very suitable replacements. I have no doubt they will do the same this time too.

ya know i hear this alot,

and i have enjoyed the last 25 years (after the dynasty-of course the dynasty years were easy to enjoy) i love getting into the playoffs almost every year, hate losing in championship games to the friggin pats or broncos-ughhh, loved SB XL hated last years underachievment, am hopeful this season and i was thinking

is it better to be knocking on the door every year, and maybe coming up a little short, getting that SB trophy once a decade....maybe but i hope we can get em in bunches with this tomlin kid

so yeah, lets trust the rooneys...

Preacher
03-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Disclaimer: This post contains ATL slang vernacular version of "Boy stop". Ie: Knock it off, Stop playing and or"Surely you jest" ? LMAO

LOL...

I think that means you disagree.

Steeldude
03-03-2007, 05:07 AM
"Why Steeldude,....if i didn't think you were my friend,......i don't know if i could bear it" LOL
It sounds as if your perspective on Joey is driven more so by personal feelings as oppossed to his actual onfield performance. Though he's no longer in his prime,.....he is nothing like Gildon was the season before he was released.
Is he (Peezy) one of the top 3 backers in the league ? No,.....but he's certainly not 'average' by any means. (That would be James Harrison)

why is it that when a fan dislikes poor performances it's considered personal? i have never met porter so how could it be personal? very strange indeed.

jury is still out on whether harrison is average or above. as for porter, very average.

redst3
03-03-2007, 05:47 AM

Pretty much sums it up for me. I really hate that they let him go, but I suppose they have their reasons. One thing is for sure, echoing what others have said: I hope he doesn't sign in the division.

SteelersTilIDie
03-03-2007, 07:45 AM
I would keep Max Starks...but why St. Pierre??

drew102e
03-03-2007, 08:52 AM
thread on that very topic...enjoy

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15360

SteelCzar76
03-03-2007, 05:34 PM
why is it that when a fan dislikes poor performances it's considered personal? i have never met porter so how could it be personal? very strange indeed.

jury is still out on whether harrison is average or above. as for porter, very average.

I believe Peezy's 60 sacks since 1999 are the most of any linebacker in the league. Very average indeed. LOL

tony hipchest
03-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I believe Peezy's 60 sacks since 1999 are the most of any linebacker in the league. Very average indeed. LOLthis is true. funny how the porter haters never mention the "below average" seasons haggans has had. i guess they dont have a problem with him since he dont talk.

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 09:40 PM
this is true. funny how the porter haters never mention the "below average" seasons haggans has had. i guess they dont have a problem with him since he dont talk.

Haggans has always kinda had 1 to 2 sacks less then Porter every year. People say that porter fell of this last season but if he would of finished all 16 games and not missed 2 he could of easly had another 10 sack year and some better numbers then he has had in 3 years.

We all know that Porter wanted even more then we paid A. Smith, and that we would of had probably a hold out this season causing problems. So Cutting Porter like people say was going to happen. Porters numbers is no different then the past couple seasons. We had time of position for the past 3 years over other teams on avg over 30 mins which keeps the defense off the field a lot and tackle numbers lower. OLBers do not have a great amount of tackles as it is. It did not help this last season of having long 6 to 8 min drives and then turning the ball over in the red zone area. When you look at Porters stats they really have not dropped off they have been the same over the last 3 years but he missed a game here and there which dropped him a few tackles and a sack here and there. Since Ben has QB the team we have had great game management and time of position, kick out the turnovers and we were on another run for the SB run this last season. But lack of Coaching and Ben being pushed back cost us big time. Not to mention over 50% of the team was not playing with motivation, heart, and that hunger they had in the past that the coaches did not push back in them for this last season. Not to mention Faneca, Hartings were the only two linemen playing hard while smith and starks got blown up. Hopefully we get the hunger back and we make a solid run for the SB this coming season. Knocking Porter by some is just being haters and having blinders on about him. But hey look he is gone you fans that do not like him are happy and so will he be. Porter will rack in a wonderful contract better then he has ever made with the Steelers. I am sure Tomlin is not done shaking up the team so lets see what happens next. Thats right there has been some fingers pointing at Faneca now that he did not belong in the Pro Bowl. We do have some great fans but some really wow..

I am upset about porter like some others but like some I have been thru over 3 decades of football watching the steelers release this player and that player and it will always be the same, you will have some who like the player and some who do not and point the fingers. We move on to the next great LBer they put in his place. And Support the coaching staff and the Rooney's.

Edman
03-03-2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

It just makes me shake my head. You will not believe the things Steeler fans are saying in this blog. Root for the Cardinals? Rooneys are cheap? Wishing Joey gets payback on the Steelers?

I'll miss Joey and I appreciate his contributions, I must seriously say that Steelers nation is being a bunch of babies and greatly overrating Joey's impact. If Joey was such a great leader, why was the team leaderless in 2006? They played soft all around.

ChronoCross
03-03-2007, 10:31 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

It just makes me shake my head. You will not believe the things Steeler fans are saying in this blog. Root for the Cardinals? Rooneys are cheap? Wishing Joey gets payback on the Steelers?

I'll miss Joey and I appreciate his contributions, I must seriously say that Steelers nation is being a bunch of babies and greatly overrating Joey's impact. If Joey was such a great leader, why was the team leaderless in 2006? They played soft all around.

Its a big change. Players come and go and fans get upset about this player and why we did not pay him and why did we sign this guy and pay him. It happens. Fans get upset almost every off season. Just happens we go thru a major over hall this year. There is going to be some shakeup but everything will come around when season starts and the black and gold take the field.

Steeldude
03-04-2007, 02:33 AM
I believe Peezy's 60 sacks since 1999 are the most of any linebacker in the league. Very average indeed. LOL

big deal! he plays LB in a scheme which is geared for the LBs to rush the QB. he wouldn't have reached anywhere near 60 if he was in a 4-3 or similar type defensive scheme. how many tackles did he collect since 1999? it seems certain fans are only interested in sacks, not tackles. porter was an average LB just like gildon. i have yet to see any LB come close to picking up where lloyd left off.

Steeldude
03-04-2007, 03:11 AM
OLBers do not have a great amount of tackles as it is.

funny how lloyd, who played the same position, didn't have trouble making tackles every season. porter was an average LB playing in a LB friendly system. are you sure you aren't the one wearing the blinders as you suggested?

So Cutting Porter like people say was going to happen. Porters numbers is no different then the past couple seasons. We had time of position for the past 3 years over other teams on avg over 30 mins which keeps the defense off the field a lot and tackle numbers lower. OLBers do not have a great amount of tackles as it is. It did not help this last season of having long 6 to 8 min drives and then turning the ball over in the red zone area. When you look at Porters stats they really have not dropped off they have been the same over the last 3 years but he missed a game here and there which dropped him a few tackles and a sack here and there. Since Ben has QB the team we have had great game management and time of position

opponents time of possesion doesn't help your argument like you stated.

2001 25.50 mins. - 59 tackles, 9 sacks, 0 ints, 3 PD

2002 27.13 mins. - 88 tackles, 9 sacks, 4 ints, 5 PD

2003 29.18 mins. - 65 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 ints, 4 PD

2004 26.01 mins. - 53 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 int, 11 PD

2005 28.44 mins. - 56 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 2 ints, 5 PD

2006 28.47 mins. - 55 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 ints, 3 PD

porter turned into a player who watches and lets the action come to him rather than one who reacts and attacks. IMO, porter never evolved into a LB.

porter isn't the only LB who needed to play better. the entire LB corps is average. the steelers have been neglecting the LBs ever since lloyd left. could have had urlacher a few years back, but they picked burress for some odd reason.

ChronoCross
03-04-2007, 03:20 AM
big deal! he plays LB in a scheme which is geared for the LBs to rush the QB. he wouldn't have reached anywhere near 60 if he was in a 4-3 or similar type defensive scheme. how many tackles did he collect since 1999? it seems certain fans are only interested in sacks, not tackles. porter was an average LB just like gildon. i have yet to see any LB come close to picking up where lloyd left off.

You really do not like Porter and have issues against him. I am sure what ever he done to you as a fan you really do not appreciate what he has done for us as a player since he has been a Steeler. If the entire Defense in whole is getting more tackles expecially if a OLB is getting over 100 tackles in a season that means your defense is spending way to much time on the field. More tackles does not say anything different then hey your offense is not doing much on the field. Since Ben has come along and we have done good with time of position the last 3 years Porters numbers have been about the same no fall off accept for missing a game here and there. Really 54, 57, 55 total tackles each of the last three years along with 7, 10, 7 sacks and missing 3 game total. Time of position over the last 3 years has been great of over 30mins a game, which means a lot less time on defense. Really the guy had his time here its over now, bring on the next. Go look at the other OLBers around the league and look at there tackles and look at there time of position and the time the defense is on the field. He is a good OLBer, he may not be a Lloyed, are whoever you hold your standards to. But he was are OLBer for some good years.

Steeldude
03-04-2007, 03:23 AM
this is true. funny how the porter haters never mention the "below average" seasons haggans has had. i guess they dont have a problem with him since he dont talk.

haggans has played better or at the least equal to porter the last couple of years. why complain about a player who makes less money and is producing better than the so-called all-star who makes more $$$ ? it's time to upgrade the entire LB corps. haggans is in his final season. he will only be re-signed if he signs for less money.

ChronoCross
03-04-2007, 03:29 AM
funny how lloyd, who played the same position, didn't have trouble making tackles every season. porter was an average LB playing in a LB friendly system. are you sure you aren't the one wearing the blinders as you suggested?

opponents time of possesion doesn't help your argument like you stated.

2001 25.50 mins. - 59 tackles, 9 sacks, 0 ints, 3 PD

2002 27.13 mins. - 88 tackles, 9 sacks, 4 ints, 5 PD

2003 29.18 mins. - 65 tackles, 5 sacks, 0 ints, 4 PD

2004 26.01 mins. - 53 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 int, 11 PD

2005 28.44 mins. - 56 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 2 ints, 5 PD

2006 28.47 mins. - 55 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 ints, 3 PD

porter turned into a player who watches and lets the action come to him rather than one who reacts and attacks. IMO, porter never evolved into a LB.

porter isn't the only LB who needed to play better. the entire LB corps is average. the steelers have been neglecting the LBs ever since lloyd left. could have had urlacher a few years back, but they picked burress for some odd reason.

There is no reason to chat with you on Porter. You clearly have a love thing with lloyed. Urlacher plays in a easy division and when ever Urlacher is up against a team that has a strong RB they run Urlacher right over. Urlacher is nothing in the AFC.

Steeldude
03-04-2007, 03:33 AM
You really do not like Porter and have issues against him. I am sure what ever he done to you as a fan you really do not appreciate what he has done for us as a player since he has been a Steeler. If the entire Defense in whole is getting more tackles expecially if a OLB is getting over 100 tackles in a season that means your defense is spending way to much time on the field. More tackles does not say anything different then hey your offense is not doing much on the field. Since Ben has come along and we have done good with time of position the last 3 years Porters numbers have been about the same no fall off accept for missing a game here and there. Really 54, 57, 55 total tackles each of the last three years along with 7, 10, 7 sacks and missing 3 game total. Time of position over the last 3 years has been great of over 30mins a game, which means a lot less time on defense. Really the guy had his time here its over now, bring on the next. Go look at the other OLBers around the league and look at there tackles and look at there time of position and the time the defense is on the field. He is a good OLBer, he may not be a Lloyed, are whoever you hold your standards to. But he was are OLBer for some good years.

same issues i had with kordell. too much money and not enough results. i can't help it if i dislike poor production. i realize you don't seem to care about production. you seem to be more about keeping your favorite players on the team regardless of the consequences.

your logic is flawed. you said if the entire defense is getting more tackles it means they are spending too much time on the field. so why is it that in 2002 they had more tackles and less time on the field than 2005 and 2006?

why are you asking about other LB who play in a different scheme?

you settle for average results and i want better than average. it's that simple. porter was good until he became complacent.

Steeldude
03-04-2007, 03:44 AM
There is no reason to chat with you on Porter. You clearly have a love thing with lloyed. Urlacher plays in a easy division and when ever Urlacher is up against a team that has a strong RB they run Urlacher right over. Urlacher is nothing in the AFC.

lmao... you talk about love? you are praising porter for average play. what's also odd is that you cannot spell lloyd and you are a steelers' fan. it's not a typo either because you have misspelled it the sameway each time. i am going out on a limb here and assuming you have been a steelers' fan for about 3 or 4 years. surely it couldn't have been much longer than that.

by you saying urlacher is nothing in the AFC tells me that your whole outlook on porter is based on personal feelings only, not football.

how many strong RBs can you name that ran right over urlacher? are you remembering the play with bettis? so you base performances on one play. interesting.

ChronoCross
03-04-2007, 04:22 AM
lmao... you talk about love? you are praising porter for average play. what's also odd is that you cannot spell lloyd and you are a steelers' fan. it's not a typo either because you have misspelled it the sameway each time. i am going out on a limb here and assuming you have been a steelers' fan for about 3 or 4 years. surely it couldn't have been much longer than that.

by you saying urlacher is nothing in the AFC tells me that your whole outlook on porter is based on personal feelings only, not football.

how many strong RBs can you name that ran right over urlacher? are you remembering the play with bettis? so you base performances on one play. interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Lloyd

Well lloyed is spelled with a double ll you can check it out on wikipedia if you like. Try over 30 years as a Steelers fan. Me I say porter did great while he was here. Porter was gone when he wanted a Big Pay Day. FO knew he would hold out even if we tried to keep him for his last year on the contract, he would of pushed for a new contract and hold out, so it was best to cut him and save money and time and not allow for any distraction with the start of the season and Porter holding out for a contract he would not get. Porter wants a big pay day and we all know that we do not have the money for the contract he wants, and we all know that Troy and Ben needs to be taken care of soon. Yes I am not happy he is gone but I have watched many players come and go thru the decades. You get use to it. But you like to show hatred to the fans who like that player who you do not like. But its ok, you have your opinion and we have ours. Maybe its more loyalty then anything towards the guys who helped us get a SB that we have been missing for a long time. So its best as usual with a fan like you to leave things be no matter what you want to put down a player so keep up the good work.

Steeldude
03-04-2007, 05:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Lloyd

Well lloyed is spelled with a double ll you can check it out on wikipedia if you like. Try over 30 years as a Steelers fan. Me I say porter did great while he was here. Porter was gone when he wanted a Big Pay Day. FO knew he would hold out even if we tried to keep him for his last year on the contract, he would of pushed for a new contract and hold out, so it was best to cut him and save money and time and not allow for any distraction with the start of the season and Porter holding out for a contract he would not get. Porter wants a big pay day and we all know that we do not have the money for the contract he wants, and we all know that Troy and Ben needs to be taken care of soon. Yes I am not happy he is gone but I have watched many players come and go thru the decades. You get use to it. But you like to show hatred to the fans who like that player who you do not like. But its ok, you have your opinion and we have ours. Maybe its more loyalty then anything towards the guys who helped us get a SB that we have been missing for a long time. So its best as usual with a fan like you to leave things be no matter what you want to put down a player so keep up the good work.

good god man! i am not talking about the two L's. it's spelled LLOYD. there is no "E". the link you posted even has it spelled LLOYD.

porter was good back in 2003 and before, but he started declining. which is why i used the word complacent. to me it seems he lost he aggressiveness on the field and transferred it to his mouth only. football is a business. if you play poorly and/or cost too much you get cut. i don't get emotionally attached to players.

i am not showing hatred towards you. you are the one who refers to me first. you start talking about hate etc... are you usually this paranoid?

i like how you change the subject from porter's abilities to fan loyalty :smile: no reply on time of possession and so forth?

fine, you are a steelers' fan for over 30 years. that's great. the more fans the merrier. but i found it a little odd that you didn't know how to spell lloyd. he is one of the most recognized steelers over the last 15 years or so.

by the way, if you think porter is great then you must think the same about haggans. right?

HometownGal
03-04-2007, 05:32 AM
C'mon guys - please knock it off with the nitpicking, k? This is a football discussion thread, not an audition for a national spelling bee. Lloyd, Lloyed, Lloid - I think as Steelers fans, we all know who is being referenced.

I liked Peezy a lot, not only as a LBer and an integral part of our D for many years, but as a team leader. However, I also was a huge fan of Kevin Greene and when he left, I was upset for several days, but as with Porter, I realized that his exit was simply a business decision and I came to accept it as just that. The Steelers have several key players who will be up for contract extensions in the not too distant future and some of the moves they are making now are, imho, in preparation for those negotiations. The Steelers F.O. always seems to make the right decisions and everything turns out a-OK in the end. I'm going to trust them here that this decision was strategically made in the best interests of the team overall, wish Peezy the very best and thank him for his contributions to the Steelers, and move on.

ChronoCross
03-04-2007, 05:34 AM
good god man! i am not talking about the two L's. it's spelled LLOYD. there is no "E". the link you posted even has it spelled LLOYD.

porter was good back in 2003 and before, but he started declining. which is why i used the word complacent. to me it seems he lost he aggressiveness on the field and transferred it to his mouth only. football is a business. if you play poorly and/or cost too much you get cut. i don't get emotionally attached to players.

i am not showing hatred towards you. you are the one who refers to me first. you start talking about hate etc... are you usually this paranoid?

i like how you change the subject from porter's abilities to fan loyalty :smile: no reply on time of possession and so forth?

fine, you are a steelers' fan for over 30 years. that's great. the more fans the merrier. but i found it a little odd that you didn't know how to spell lloyd. he is one of the most recognized steelers over the last 15 years or so.

by the way, if you think porter is great then you must think the same about haggans. right?

We have had two quality LBers on both sides. There is always room for improvement. But guys like lloyd <-- do not come around often so we deal with having quality spread around the team. Haggans its probably his last year to. Farrior down to his final years. 2008-2009 the names in the LBer core will probably be all changed. The new faces of the defense will ether be some of the guys we groomed, to drafted LBers, the next few years. Its early in the morning my brain is probably to tired. Hard thing about the Steelers we get guys but then cannot afford to keep them because we spread the money thru out the team to have over all quality spread thru the defense and offense instead of over spending on 1 are 2 key players is how I look at it. And I feel its better as we have done in the past live and die by the draft. It would not surprise me if Troy hit the FA for a big contract. If your a Steelers player and you become a big name wouldn't you hit the FA to pick up a big fat check from another team. You know the Steelers FO will only spend so much.

ShutDown24
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Joey wasn't worth the money he was asking for to stay. He was over paid already and wanted an even bigger contract. He is almost 30 now and has been steadily declining in play the last couple of years. Porter didn't make any kind of fuss on his way out because he knew it was better for him to. He is going to get a boat load of money with the Bengals, Dolphins or another mediocre team and fall of the face of the earth. He most likley will have a big game down the road with the Steelers but will probably never amount to anything great again.

The fact is that despite coach Tomlin saying he would stay with the 3-4 for Dick LeBeau, LeBeu said he would change to a 4-3 for Mike Tomlin... Honestly, I don't see us going for anything else but a D-linemen in the first round draft and switching to a 4-3/Tampa-2. That is'nt a bad thing however, people seem to think that the 3-4 is some godly formation that only the Steelers use, well its neither. More teams have switched to the 3-4 in the last 2 years than ever before in NFL history. The major affect and appeal of the formation was that it was rare and teams didn't have much opportunity to practice against it, thats not true anymore.

Preacher
03-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I say we pick up Kordell Stewart... and see if he can play linebacker!!

Preacher
03-07-2007, 02:04 AM
$32 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees.

Do ANY OF YOU think that we could have paid him anything CLOSE to that? And then paid Fanaca.. Paid Troy, then Paid Ben in a couple of years? Oh yeah.. not to mention our first round pick this year?

Sorry. BUt it was time.

Steel Pit
03-07-2007, 02:11 AM
$32 million contract that includes $20 million in guarantees.

Do ANY OF YOU think that we could have paid him anything CLOSE to that? And then paid Fanaca.. Paid Troy, then Paid Ben in a couple of years? Oh yeah.. not to mention our first round pick this year?

Sorry. BUt it was time.

Yes I think that we should have signed Porter and said to H E L L with the younger players such as Troy and Ben, LOL. I mean Joey meant soooo much more to the Steelers organization. We should have went ahead and DESTROYED our salary cap for years to come and kept the 30 year old LARGE MOUTH SASS!

Nice wake-up call to some of the members who totally insisted that the Steelers should re-sign Porter.
Maybe they'll someday realize that it's not about "the Rooney's being cheap" It's all about the Rooney's being "salary cap wise".

drew102e
03-07-2007, 01:34 PM
well the rooneys/gm arent infallible, we are still paying dead money for several players, duce being the most recent

Preacher
03-07-2007, 01:36 PM
well the rooneys/gm arent infallible, we are still paying dead money for several players, duce being the most recent

Yep. You are correct. Thank goodness we didn't get any deeper into cap trouble with Porter.

GBMelBlount
03-07-2007, 09:33 PM
lambert tooth - it's price point. Porter is on the down side and is pricey. Starks isn't great but it keepsw the continuity. Our team is old. We only have so may picks. We definitely need new blood on Defense. If we pick a solid Linebacker early we may be OK. Also, Harrison is satisfactory for the short term,

GoSteelers!

lersgofor6
03-10-2007, 02:21 PM
porter has about 2 good yrs left but was way to costly for us

TheManOfSteel
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Starks looked like total **** last year. We need good young prospects for the future. This should be addressed in the DRAFT of 07.

GBMelBlount
03-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Starks looked like total **** last year. We need good young prospects for the future. This should be addressed in the DRAFT of 07.

Steel, You are right. I had thought Defense shoud be addressed on first day, but after Linebacker, d-line if it's a steal, what else is ther before O-Line? D-Line is decent, I think Taylor WILL come around, he is physically blessed . We have a 1st round quarterback, willie crushed and we have alot of receivers (add willie reid). Are we wrong?:cheers:

Stlrs4Life
03-22-2007, 04:33 PM
As told to Jeffri Chadiha
In this month's whirlwind of NFL player relocations, no move was more surprising than that of three-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker Joey Porter, a career Steeler who was cut by the team on March 2. Four days later the Dolphins gave Porter, one of two NFLers ever to have 60 sacks and 10 interceptions, a five-year, $32 million deal. The 6'3", 250-pound Porter, 30, a magnet for controversy on the field and off, is apparently not about to change his ways -- he was cited for punching the Bengals' 6'7", 305-pound Levi Jones at the Palms in Las Vegas last Saturday, one of the rare things that, at SI's press time, Porter wouldn't talk about.
On being a Dolphin
It's a great situation. They're trying to win a championship now -- they never talked about rebuilding when I met with them. We had a short meeting, and everything that they said sounded good. Coach [Dom] Capers [Miami's defensive coordinator] has always used the 3-4 defense, and he wanted to have a dominant pass rusher to get things going on the other side of [NFL Defensive Player of the Year] Jason Taylor. I can be that guy who makes an impact.
On why he didn't take more time to investigate the market
I didn't want one of those fly-all-over-the-world recruiting trips. I wanted to know who wanted me. When we started to seriously look at Miami, we thought the Bengals would respond faster, but they didn't get back to my agent until six hours later. I had to decide: Wait for Cincinnati to get involved in a bidding war, or go with a team that had presented me with a good situation? I felt comfortable with the Dolphins.
On getting cut by the Steelers
It wasn't a shock; they couldn't pay me what I was worth. The hard part is leaving the players. That was my locker room. Those were my guys. But this is a business, and the sooner you realize that, the easier it is to avoid being hurt. I'll say this: What I did in Pittsburgh can't be replaced. They know it, and I know it. They might get somebody who can perform on the field, but they won't get somebody who brings the same presence to that team.
On his infamous pregame fight with then Browns back William Green in 2004
Green came across the 50-yard line and charged me. I had to protect myself, but I became the bad guy because I won the fight.
On being fined last year for using a homosexual slur to describe Browns tight end Kellen Winslow
That's all on me. I was so frustrated by him [Winslow had put a late hit on Steelers linebacker James Farrior] that I used a word I shouldn't have used. Where I grew up [in Bakersfield, Calif.], that was a word meant to say a guy is soft. I should've just said he was soft. But I wanted to cut him so deep that I did something wrong.
On his relationship with former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher
He understood me. I play with emotion. When I came to Pittsburgh [in 1999], I was on special teams and scout teams, and I wanted to play so bad. So I picked fights with [running back] Jerome Bettis in practice. He was a future Hall of Famer, but I didn't care. I knew I could play, and I wanted people to know I wasn't intimidated. I think Coach Cowher looked at me and thought, This guy isn't afraid to go after anybody.

Galloway6
03-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Not bad. JP will be missed.

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 04:59 PM
but they won't get somebody who brings the same presence to that team. definitely not humble and he could be right but lamberts presence was replaced by lloyd, and lloyds was replaced by joey. i wouldnt say we wont find someone in the upcoming years.

Green came across the 50-yard line and charged me. I had to protect myself, but I became the bad guy because I won the fight. :sofunny:

I should've just said he was soft. But I wanted to cut him so deep that I did something wrong. :sofunny:

So I picked fights with [running back] Jerome Bettis in practice. He was a future Hall of Famer, but I didn't care. :sofunny:

what a big shit talking meanie! :rolleyes: but hilarious. i cant believe some people didnt appreciate him. i bet if jack lambert read this he would smile.

fansince'76
03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
I should've just said he was soft. But I wanted to cut him so deep that I did something wrong. :sofunny:

I wasn't trying to insult nobody except Winslow. :toofunny:

verks36
03-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Wow... This is why i love joey. He is like TO but different they are both really ****y and get in fights with the other team and they are both amazing players. But TO destroys the locker room joey own the locker room. Man i can imagine joey not being here this season. At least he recongnizes why he was realeased

SteelCzar76
03-22-2007, 05:08 PM
but they won't get somebody who brings the same presence to that team. definitely not humble and he could be right but lamberts presence was replaced by lloyd, and lloyds was replaced by joey. i wouldnt say we wont find someone in the upcoming years.

Green came across the 50-yard line and charged me. I had to protect myself, but I became the bad guy because I won the fight. :sofunny:

So I picked fights with [running back] Jerome Bettis in practice. He was a future Hall of Famer, but I didn't care. :sofunny:

what a big shit talking meanie! :rolleyes: but hilarious. i cant believe some people didnt appreciate him. i bet if jack lambert read this he would smile.

"You want Peezy on that wall !",.........."You need Peezy on that Wall !" LOL

End of the day,...it's always buisness. But I'm gonna miss the guy and i was always proud that he was a Steeler.:helmet:

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
denver is looking to trade mlb al wilson and have plenty of suitors according to a. schefter, including philadelphia and the giants (who seem to be the front runners).

denver is in a cap crunch just like the steelers are. wilson and his career 21.5 sacks, 5 interceptions, and 8 forced fumbles, are just as old as porter is.

now i can usually take a pretty good guess on things from a business side or managerial point of view. but this one has me stumped.

i already know the difference between a mlb in the 4-3 and an olb in the 3-4, but that still doesnt explain how porter can bring no value in return, and teams are lining up to try and get wilson. :dang: this will about make me sick if we see a team give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

stay on your toes colbert or you may find yourself on the go-cart track racing cars with cowher.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I think teams knew we would end up releasing him if nobody would give us a good offer,so nobody showed any interest.

dunkuntou
03-22-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree teams new that if we couldn't trade him we were going to release him anyways...

Also, the Steelers are a very good class act in this way and instead of getting a 6th round pick for Porter, they simply release him and allow him to sign wherever he wants. If you noticed when Porter left he mentioned that and how important it was to him. Its one of those things that most fans don't notice/understand but players and agents do and they have a lot of respect for teams like that

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree teams new that if we couldn't trade him we were going to release him anyways...

Also, the Steelers are a very good class act in this way and instead of getting a 6th round pick for Porter, they simply release him and allow him to sign wherever he wants. like with the bengals????

we couldve trimmed 5 mil from the cap if we wanted to keep him. dont most teams know wilson is gonna be cut? why not wait. porter is in the exact same situation that wilson finds himself in today.

Atlanta Dan
03-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Arguably even a bad offer is better than nothing.

I really believe management thought if they let Joey go it was better to let him go FA rather than get a chump change draft pick.

One can argue it was a goodbye present for Porter but given the borderline mutinous attitude the vets such as Hines & Faneca are demonstrating, IMHO sending Porter to Siberia for a #6 pick and diminishing his chances in 2008 for the payday he got in 2007 was regarded as creating potential for a toxic locker room as many other FA decisions loom.

OTOH, if Porter stayed he was going to blow up the team with his contract issues.

Cutting him loose with nothing in return was the best way to play a bad hand.

verks36
03-22-2007, 07:29 PM
you raise a good question

All i can see is that the Steelers front office showed class

Just not dishing him to some shiity team but let him do what he wants and pick where he wants to go

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Arguably even a bad offer is better than nothing.

I really believe management thought if they let Joey go it was better to let him go FA rather than get a chump change draft pick.

One can argue it was a goodbye present for Porter but given the borderline mutinous attitude the vets such as Hines & Faneca are demonstrating, IMHO sending Porter to Siberia for a #6 pick and diminishing his chances in 2008 for the payday he got in 2007 was regarded as creating potential for a toxic locker room as many other FA decisions loom.

OTOH, if Porter stayed he was going to blow up the team with his contract issues.

Cutting him loose with nothing in return was the best way to play a bad hand.

shortly after porter was cut i remember you posting something on the lines that his release was sort of a good gesture, "farewell, thanks for the memories" move, but didnt quite understand that line of thinking.

after reading this post, it seems to make the most sense of the matter. :cheers:

the psychology of the locker room is an important thing. what does it say to the team if their leader is worth no more to mgmt than a 6th round pick? instead, joey rides off into the sunset as the $20 million dollar hero.

im really interested to see what wilsons market value is now though, but i agree, the steelers arent so desperate that they are scratching and clawing for a 4th round pick who may not even make the team as it is.

GBMelBlount
03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
shortly after porter was cut i remember you posting something on the lines that his release was sort of a good gesture, "farewell, thanks for the memories" move, but didnt quite understand that line of thinking.

after reading this post, it seems to make the most sense of the matter. :cheers:

the psychology of the locker room is an important thing. what does it say to the team if their leader is worth no more to mgmt than a 6th round pick? instead, joey rides off into the sunset as the $20 million dollar hero.

im really interested to see what wilsons market value is now though, but i agree, the steelers arent so desperate that they are scratching and clawing for a 4th round pick who may not even make the team as it is.

Sorry to change the subject. I think we have a decent returning team with some needs (as most teams.) Obviously this is hypothetical, but if we lost faneca, do you think our need for additional picks (in hopes of finding the most that will stick) including 4th rounders, etc., has more importance?

verks36
03-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Sorry for being a little confusing before

basically here is like my simplest explantion

First everybody in the whole league new we were not going to resighn him. and we werent willing to spend that kind of money for that caliber of a player.

Every one on the team respected Porter and he was our team leader. So lets say we trade him to buffalo for a 5th round pick. Instead of what he says now he says the steelers treated him badly. Because he doesnt want to be in buffalo. So now the rest of our team sees that they are like if they do that to porter what will they do to me?

PLUS if porter gets pissed and is unhappy it will be all over the media and his mouth wouldnt shut and would be bitter about the steelers for awhile

A 5th round pick isnt worth the trouble

hopefully that is more clear:tt02:

ajs8207
03-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Sorry for being a little confusing before

basically here is like my simplest explantion

First everybody in the whole league new we were not going to resighn him. and we werent willing to spend that kind of money for that caliber of a player.

Every one on the team respected Porter and he was our team leader. So lets say we trade him to buffalo for a 5th round pick. Instead of what he says now he says the steelers treated him badly. Because he doesnt want to be in buffalo. So now the rest of our team sees that they are like if they do that to porter what will they do to me?

PLUS if porter gets pissed and is unhappy it will be all over the media and his mouth wouldnt shut and would be bitter about the steelers for awhile

A 5th round pick isnt worth the trouble

hopefully that is more clear:tt02:

Well said. :thmbup:

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry to change the subject. I think we have a decent returning team with some needs (as most teams.) Obviously this is hypothetical, but if we lost faneca, do you think our need for additional picks (in hopes of finding the most that will stick) including 4th rounders, etc., has more importance?well, thats a numbers game. you can have 20 picks, but are you gonna see enough out of them in camp to push veterans you have gamefilm on, out of a job?

dunkuntou
03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
like with the bengals????

we couldve trimmed 5 mil from the cap if we wanted to keep him. dont most teams know wilson is gonna be cut? why not wait. porter is in the exact same situation that wilson finds himself in today.

No its not the same situation...not really even close

First, Wislon will be moved because of all the signings that the Broncos made. They decided to try to improve their team by signing Daniel Graham, Travis Henry, Alvin McKinley, Patrick Ramsey and Brandon Stockley and trading for Dre Bly.

Obviously if you add that much you need to cut something

Also, we were working with a timeline with Porter because of his roster bonus thats not the situation with Wilson. Not to mention Wilson was a Pro Bowler last year and Porter production tailed off

BettisFan
03-22-2007, 09:53 PM
porter was a hard situation for us (fans) and tomlin

verks36
03-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Well said. :thmbup:

thanks man tried just s-l-o-w-i-n it down and making it as clear as possible because it is sort of a complicated issue

BettisFan
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
anyone know how much we were payign porter a year?

verks36
03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
anyone know how much we were payign porter a year?

idk how much we were? but i know if we wanted to keep him it was going to be a hella alot more

BettisFan
03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
how much cap do we have i though we would have enough

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 10:08 PM

First, Wislon will be moved because of all the signings that the Broncos made. They decided to try to improve their team by signing Daniel Graham, Travis Henry, Alvin McKinley, Patrick Ramsey and Brandon Stockley and trading for Dre Bly.

Also, we were working with a timeline with Porter because of his roster bonus thats not the situation with Wilson. Not to mention Wilson was a Pro Bowler last year and Porter production tailed offsignings have nothing to do with this. the cap is $109 million whether you reach that number by signing 20 players from other teams or retaining 20 of your own.

wilson might be rid of cause the broncos are close to or above that number. = same as porter.

if wilson was in the pro bowl for his 1 sack and 78 tackles, then good for him. i just dont see where making a pro bowl the previous year determines a players value. hines ward missed the pro bowl last year but i dont think that diminishes his value. l. tomlinson missed a pro bowl in a year he had 100 receptions. i dont put too much stock in that alone.

true proof of the ultimate value will be comparing wilsons new contract to the one miami gave porter. im willing to bet they are not too far off, if not porter having the edge.

verks36
03-22-2007, 10:15 PM

Also, we were working with a timeline with Porter because of his roster bonus thats not the situation with Wilson. Not to mention Wilson was a Pro Bowler last year and Porter production tailed off

Dude first they didnt sighn any linebackers its not like sighn a 3rd string WRs we need room lets cut are all pro middle linebacker. That is not the reason. Its not like they sighned someone to replace him

He probbly will get a little less money that porter for couple reasons
1. Porter gets more sacks
2. good middle linebaker are eaier to find then Outside linenackers
3. Porter vocal leading ability and his locker room presence ( not to say wilson doesnt but not just as much as porter)

tony hipchest
03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Wilson was a Pro Bowler last year and Porter production tailed offi still gotta laugh at all the pseudo analysis that is still constantly saying that porters "production fell off".

hes had about as consistant of a career one can expect:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133392

(i see no age induced drop off)

i do see where porters trade value couldve been artificially inflated by the steelers making it seem like he was the most indespensible player on the team.

SteelCzar76
03-22-2007, 11:33 PM
i still gotta laugh at all the pseudo analysis that is still constantly saying that porters "production fell off".

i do see where porters trade value couldve been artificially inflated by the steelers making it seem like he was the most indespensible player on the team.

Even those whom make such comments about Peezy's supposed lack of production,....know that it's nonsense. But they can't just admit that they don't 'like' him because he's brash and outspoken. Or because of the fact that he was one of 'Coach Cowher's Guys',.... and they have a 'jilted lovers' complex regarding Bill stepping down. LMAO
You'd think they'd either be honest,...or just,......"Knock it off".

Preacher
03-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey Tony... SteelCzar...

I don't think the problem is whether he HAS dropped off, but in that he is turning thirty-one by the time he is to sign a new contract, and has a big dependence on speed.... the problem is WILL he lose a step... 35 years old, a million and a half or more in signing bonus.. try 3 or 4 a year maybe... then salary... Not a good place to be in considering...

You have to sign Troy who is in his mid 20's and Ben who is in his mid twenties... both to big contracts. You have to find a replacement for Ward in about 2-4 years... and also need money left over to fill cracks and holes in the rest of the team.

With that scenario, I see this as a great move... and to top it off, the Rooney's may have seen enough of Joey, as we now see him getting into trouble outside of football.

Livinginthe past
03-23-2007, 02:32 AM
I've mentioned this on other Joey Porter threads but I think it was the wrong decision to let him walk with no draft recompense.

I certainly don't believe in the nonsense about 'giving Joey a farewell present' - what sort of way is that to run a business?

Despite what has been written about the Steelers (mostly by Steeler fans) the team isn't cheap or poorly off - they can easily afford to pay the $5million bonus to Joey (the annual cap is $109million) to give themselves breathing room to trade him.

Joey was a productive player for a good number of years, and obviously a well liked character - popular with teammates and fans alike - but the FO's loyalty should be to the fanbase, the coach and the existing roster - not trying to look 'classy' by letting him pick his next big payday.

I also totally disagree with the notion that teams won't trade draft picks for a player they think will be cut anyway.

As Tony mentioned - the Steelers could have found enough cap room to keep him on board long enough to convince people that it could be done.

Teams trade picks for the rights to a player because they judge him to be valuable to their franchise - if they wait in line for the guy to be cut (which might not even happen, remember) then there is absolutely no guarantee that the player will choose their team.

Teams put draft picks on the line to ensure that they are at the front of the queue.

Look at the contract that Miami gave him - thats was worth at least a 4th rounder and possibly even a 3rd.

Look at what the savvy Patriots played for a potentially productive slot receiver and PR - a 2nd and a 7th.

I agree that the Steelers are solid across the board but you never turn down 3rd/4th round draft picks - you could find faneca's replacement with that pick - you never know.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-23-2007, 03:43 AM
denver is looking to trade mlb al wilson and have plenty of suitors according to a. schefter, including philadelphia and the giants (who seem to be the front runners).

denver is in a cap crunch just like the steelers are. wilson and his career 21.5 sacks, 5 interceptions, and 8 forced fumbles, are just as old as porter is.

now i can usually take a pretty good guess on things from a business side or managerial point of view. but this one has me stumped.

i already know the difference between a mlb in the 4-3 and an olb in the 3-4, but that still doesnt explain how porter can bring no value in return, and teams are lining up to try and get wilson. :dang: this will about make me sick if we see a team give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him.

stay on your toes colbert or you may find yourself on the go-cart track racing cars with cowher.

Did I ever give you the kudos for going to the Unibomber Card? What scares me most about the Unibomber is not that he is crazy. It may be that he sees the future.

Numbers don't lie. (enter sound track from Jaws) Variables and values can be applied to human nature. And so now that the NSA has refocused their computers on me let's talk about Colbert.

What I'd love to know is who was responsible for...(just to name a few)

1 Troy Polamalu USC
1 Casey Hampton
2 Kendrell Bell
2 Marvel Smith
4 Larry Foote
7 Brett Keisel
5 Clark Haggans
4 Aaron Smith
2 Antwaan Randle El

Was KC or BC the "guy"? Only the Rooneys know. But who did the Rooneys keep? KC. We are not going to the Super Bowl this year. This is okay with me. We have been rocking in the draft since KC has manned the helm.

With all due respect to the Unibomber he should have at least two seasons above a new head coach to know how we feel.

Good grief. Are we expecting to win a Super Bowl before the season starts?

ARKIESTEEL
03-23-2007, 05:06 AM
If Porter wanted to stay a Steeler and it wasnt about money he could have taken a page out of one of the greatest Steeler's of all time "the Bus" and took a pay cut to stay with the team. I dont blame him for going but dont whine about it. I think in the long run Joey wont be missed all that much.

Atlanta Dan
03-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I've mentioned this on other Joey Porter threads but I think it was the wrong decision to let him walk with no draft recompense.

I certainly don't believe in the nonsense about 'giving Joey a farewell present' - what sort of way is that to run a business?

Despite what has been written about the Steelers (mostly by Steeler fans) the team isn't cheap or poorly off - they can easily afford to pay the $5million bonus to Joey (the annual cap is $109million) to give themselves breathing room to trade him.

Joey was a productive player for a good number of years, and obviously a well liked character - popular with teammates and fans alike - but the FO's loyalty should be to the fanbase, the coach and the existing roster - not trying to look 'classy' by letting him pick his next big payday.

I also totally disagree with the notion that teams won't trade draft picks for a player they think will be cut anyway.

As Tony mentioned - the Steelers could have found enough cap room to keep him on board long enough to convince people that it could be done.

Teams trade picks for the rights to a player because they judge him to be valuable to their franchise - if they wait in line for the guy to be cut (which might not even happen, remember) then there is absolutely no guarantee that the player will choose their team.

Teams put draft picks on the line to ensure that they are at the front of the queue.

Look at the contract that Miami gave him - thats was worth at least a 4th rounder and possibly even a 3rd.

Look at what the savvy Patriots played for a potentially productive slot receiver and PR - a 2nd and a 7th.

I agree that the Steelers are solid across the board but you never turn down 3rd/4th round draft picks - you could find faneca's replacement with that pick - you never know.

We do not know what sort of offers the Steelers received - it is the difference between the offers you get on a house that is simply on the market and a house everyone knows you will be vacating on a date certain if you do not sell it.

Given Porter's public posturing on his contract, I assume any team offering a draft choice for one year of renting Porter factored in the turmoil of having Porter disrupting thier locker room with complaints about his contract and/or an "I am outta here after this year attitude." My bet is the Steelers were not getting any real offers for high draft picks in return for Porter unless it was a sign & trade deal.

As for the "going away present" it is no different than how different companies handle layoffs and distributions of salaries. Companies who are reasonable about it foster loyalty with the remaining employees who do not bolt for the door as soon as the economy improves. Companies who constantly screw their employees lose productive employees they would like to keep because nobody wants to work for jerks when they have alternatives.

For example, Delta Airlines CEO is foregoing any bonus and employees are getting large distributions as Delta exits Chapter 11. Delta is not doing that out of the goodness of its heart; it is doing it to foster employee loylaty and create a workplace from which employees who have not been laid off will not bolt as soon as any other opportunity arises.

Sending off a captain who has been a major contributor for a 6th round draft pick would reinforce the Rooneys image of (to use Mike Ditka's description of George Halas) squeezing every nickel like a manhole cover. That would add to the current discontent among the vets and make FAs consider whether they wanted to work somewhere where they are clearly treated like a piece of meat and sent to where ever the Steelers want to send them packing when they are no longer of use to the Steelers.

I believe the Rooneys let Porter go without seeking a trade for whatever they could get because they thought it made good business sense to treat him in a way that current Steelers and potential FAs might view favorably. They did it not simply because they are good guys but because they believe it will promote a workplace atmosphere that is conducive to winning.

Given his past practices with treatment of his vets that are on the downslope, I know Belichick would have traded Porter for anything he could get. That is how the Pats run their business and it has been successful. However, I do not think that is the only way to run a business; treating employees with respect when they are let go can benefit the employees as well as the long term success of the company owned by the employer.

verks36
03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
i still gotta laugh at all the pseudo analysis that is still constantly saying that porters "production fell off".

Ya defintly no drop off.

It may have looked like a drop off because he went from 10.5 sacks to seven but seven is around his career average.

His tackles were consistent his whole career

tony hipchest
03-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey Tony... SteelCzar...

I don't think the problem is whether he HAS dropped off, but in that he is turning thirty-one by the time he is to sign a new contract, and has a big dependence on speed.... the problem is WILL he lose a step... 35 years old, a million and a half or more in signing bonus.. try 3 or 4 a year maybe... then salary... Not a good place to be in considering...

You have to sign Troy who is in his mid 20's and Ben who is in his mid twenties... both to big contracts. You have to find a replacement for Ward in about 2-4 years... and also need money left over to fill cracks and holes in the rest of the team.

With that scenario, I see this as a great move... and to top it off, the Rooney's may have seen enough of Joey, as we now see him getting into trouble outside of football.i look at porter kicking that bungles ass as a final farewell gift to the steelers and their fans. :cool:

no one is saying theres a problem letting porter go because his production MIGHT slip. its possible. what is bogus is the multitude of fans who justify him being cut by falsely saying his production has tailed off the past several years.:blah: thats completely inaccurate. his numbers have stayed consistant his whole career. they only drop off in the few years he has missed some games.

even the steelers have said this was a money issue and not a lack of production issue. the cap ramifications are clear as day, which makes me wonder why people just have to make stuff up.

coachspeak33
03-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Just a few humble opinions
- Porter was not released due to ineffective play
- Porter's release was a financially driven decision
- Did his age play into it....Of course
- Did his mouth play into it...Probably not as much as we fans think...but maybe a little
- Simply put, he reached that point in his career, that every Steeler sooner or later reaches, where he is no longer the kind of player the Steelers want to have
- The "point in his career" I am referring to is called the 2nd BIG payday....very few Steelers have ever attained that 2nd hefty contract
- This is just how the Rooneys do business...for better or worse

I agree with LITP 100%. The powers that be on Art Rooney Ave. should have investigated trade possibilities when they realized that Peezy would not play for the Steelers ever again (which probably occured when Dan Rooney woke up 7 weeks into the 06 season with a record of 2-5).

And nobody is gonna tell me that, in spite of the roster bonus his contract owed him, there was no interest in a legitimate, playoff caliber OLB who can stop the run, rush the QB, drop into coverage, and be a motivating lockerroom presence.

The proof of this lies in a $32 million dollar contract he received within a week of his release...$20 million of which is guaranteed. Now this is usually the time someone gets on here and tells me to root for the Redskins or some other floundering franchise that overspends for proven talent. Which, by the way, is exactly what Miami did...they overpaid. And I, for one, am glad the Steelers didnt.

But it must be pointed ot that teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Arizona, etc.... they know that they very rarely have the ability to go sign a top tier FA because most players dont wanna play for those franchises unless the bank is broke specifically for them. So why not give those kinda teams a better shot at a guy they covet via trade???

As far as the parting gift stuff...that is bogus...the NFL is a serious, no-nonsense business....that is what starts the ball rolling with this whole thing...thats what gets proven NFL vets cut all the time

Seriously ask yourself, are we better without Joey in 07...of course not...but on the business/financial end of things...he simply isnt a viable option anymore for the Steelers...so we gotta let him go
But before his release, he was Steeler property and we could do whatever we want with him......and we let him walk for nothing. That was a mistake!

Look at Deion Branch, who by the way doesnt nearly play his position as well as Joey Porter plays his, was in the final year or two of his deal...wanted a raise...NE couldnt afford him...and dont confuse that with not wanting him...they looked at their cap situation and came to the conclusion that he was expendable when compared to others on their roster (similar to the Steelers situation w/ Ben, Troy, and others due raises shortly)

So what did they do...they traded him for a couple day 1 picks!!!!

Parting gift my ass....that is rediculous

Atlanta Dan
03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
When Seattle sent the picks to New England for Branch they had the trade & long term new contract worked out in principle.

He had been entering the last season of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie, but will be getting a new, long-term deal in the coming days.

"His representatives are flying in today," Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell said. "Obviously, we wouldn't have done this without the gist of the deal getting done."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2583149

Without having Porter locked up in new deal, I doubt any team would commit high picks in a Porter trade. To commit high picks to get Porter, that would be part of the total cost of acquiring Porter long term - in other words, high picks to the Steelers means less $$ for Joey - sort of like saying if the sales price for the house includes paying the seller's down payent for a new house, you pay less for the house itself into which you are moving.

What do you think Porter's reaction to that would have been?

Do other posters think trading Porter for a low pick would not have adverse short term consequences in the locker room and long term adverse consequences in signing other FAs either currently on the Steelers or with other teams. Certainly not saying my conclusion is clearly correct, just interested in hearing the basis for opposing views to my own on the fallout of getting whatever they could have received for Porter and shipping him out to the highest bidder.

coachspeak33
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
anybody who thinks we would have experienced lockeroom issues because of who we sent Porter to or what we got in return hasnt been in many professional lockerooms ....
they are pros not teenagers
the second the season rolls around and the current steeler players are the ones responsible for wins and losses..... Peezy and his "feelings" will not be thought of at all

Default Re: did the steelers "drop the ball" on porter?
When Seattle sent the picks to New England for Branch they had the trade & long term new contract worked out in principle.

He had been entering the last season of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie, but will be getting a new, long-term deal in the coming days.

originally posted by Atlanta Dan
"His representatives are flying in today," Seahawks general manager Tim Ruskell said. "Obviously, we wouldn't have done this without the gist of the deal getting done."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2583149

Without having Porter locked up in new deal, I doubt any team would commit high picks in a Porter trade.

Agreed Atlanta Dan...the contract situation would have limited our options....but NE gave Branch the ability to go out and try and secure a long term deal with another team...once he did that NE was able to work out a deal

Why couldnt the Rooney's do that????

More importantly why havent the Rooneys EVER done that with ANY of the quality players who were forced to leave the Steelers organization due to financial reasons and not level of play?

Try and name one guy that we shipped out via a trade cause we knew his days in Pitt were numbered for financial reasons....I cant think of one.....That is rediculous

Atlanta Dan
03-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Please share with all of us the number of pro locker rooms you have been in.

There are arguments to be made both ways on this but your "I am right and you do not know what you are talking about" response is one to which I take exception.

We do not know what deals were offered to the Steelers and what Porter would have signed for under those deals so saying theRooneys did not try to get such a deal done is not indisputable

tony hipchest
03-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I thinkDunk nailed it here. Wilson has no bonus due and not timeline for his release.

again, they find themselves in almost the same situation

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10080863

The reason Denver has even entertained the idea of trading Wilson is cost. Wilson is scheduled to make $5.2 million in base salary this season and he could earn another $600,000 in workout bonuses.

Strapped with all the big moves they have made this off-season -- giving running back Travis Henry $12 million in guaranteed money and tight end Daniel Graham $15 million in guaranteed money -- the Broncos need to shave costs elsewhere.

They decided to explore doing it at linebacker, where they would be ready to shuffle their unit. Former strong-side linebacker D.J. Williams could shift inside, to middle linebacker, to Wilson's position, where Denver can better take advantage of his wide-ranging abilities.

Since they've made this decision, Wilson's new agent, Denver-based Peter Schaffer, has worked to try to facilitate a deal. He has found interest around the league, but is being careful about trying to place Wilson into the best situation.

There is no question Denver would miss Wilson, one of the unquestioned emotional leaders not only of its defense, but its team.
so there is a bonus due and a timeline for his release.

i am suprised the steelers didnt try to work out anything with san fransisco (or did they?). nolan is familiar with joey, its near his hometown, a 3-4 system, and i believe they have two 3rd round picks. they definitely have the cap space.

klick81
03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Haha...after reading this, I just wish the Steelers woulda found a way to keep him w/o sacrificing Ben or Troy.

Kittyfish
03-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow... This is why i love joey. He is like TO but different they are both really ****y and get in fights with the other team and they are both amazing players. But TO destroys the locker room joey own the locker room. Man i can imagine joey not being here this season. At least he recongnizes why he was realeasedVerks, word to you. It always seemed to me that Porter was passionate about his team while TO was passionate about himself and his abilities (which, face it, are pretty considerable, even if he is a jackass). I was devastated when I heard that Porter was released - he seemed to be the heart of the defense, just as Jerome Bettis was the heart of the offense. Losing both Bettis and Porter, add a new coach on top of that...I wonder how long it will take the team to adjust, and who will be stepping up to be the new leaders.

Off topic - did y'all hear the story about TO and the pizza delivery guy? When TO was holding out for all that money because he had to feed his family, he had ordered a pizza. When the delivery guy was offered a $5 tip, he said for TO to keep it - after all, obviously TO needed the money more than he did, TO being so destitute and all. Hee!

Livinginthe past
03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
We do not know what sort of offers the Steelers received - it is the difference between the offers you get on a house that is simply on the market and a house everyone knows you will be vacating on a date certain if you do not sell it.

Given Porter's public posturing on his contract, I assume any team offering a draft choice for one year of renting Porter factored in the turmoil of having Porter disrupting thier locker room with complaints about his contract and/or an "I am outta here after this year attitude." My bet is the Steelers were not getting any real offers for high draft picks in return for Porter unless it was a sign & trade deal.

As for the "going away present" it is no different than how different companies handle layoffs and distributions of salaries. Companies who are reasonable about it foster loyalty with the remaining employees who do not bolt for the door as soon as the economy improves. Companies who constantly screw their employees lose productive employees they would like to keep because nobody wants to work for jerks when they have alternatives.

For example, Delta Airlines CEO is foregoing any bonus and employees are getting large distributions as Delta exits Chapter 11. Delta is not doing that out of the goodness of its heart; it is doing it to foster employee loylaty and create a workplace from which employees who have not been laid off will not bolt as soon as any other opportunity arises.

Sending off a captain who has been a major contributor for a 6th round draft pick would reinforce the Rooneys image of (to use Mike Ditka's description of George Halas) squeezing every nickel like a manhole cover. That would add to the current discontent among the vets and make FAs consider whether they wanted to work somewhere where they are clearly treated like a piece of meat and sent to where ever the Steelers want to send them packing when they are no longer of use to the Steelers.

I believe the Rooneys let Porter go without seeking a trade for whatever they could get because they thought it made good business sense to treat him in a way that current Steelers and potential FAs might view favorably. They did it not simply because they are good guys but because they believe it will promote a workplace atmosphere that is conducive to winning.

Given his past practices with treatment of his vets that are on the downslope, I know Belichick would have traded Porter for anything he could get. That is how the Pats run their business and it has been successful. However, I do not think that is the only way to run a business; treating employees with respect when they are let go can benefit the employees as well as the long term success of the company owned by the employer.

I agree that there is a difference in value between a commodity that is highly prized by the current owners and one that is not.

I also believe that there are plenty of teams in the NFL who would be willing to convince their fanbases that they were 'for real' by making a play at a proven playmaker and SB ring holder.

I think there had to be an option where Porter could have been brought into the trade process - given the opportunity to talk to potential suitors, and then a trade between the team(s) hammered out.

Its very possible that multiple teams could have been involved - then you have an auction scenario - who knows where that ends up?

As far as lockeroom harmony goes - the Steelers have always been able to keep a lid on dissention in the ranks by always letting the players know who, ultimately, is boss.

When the Patriots traded Branch last year - there were many grumblings attributed to the locker-room and even our franchise QB was rumored to be very unhappy.

But the Patriots org. didn't back down - they did what was best for the franchise even if it cost them in the short term.

I truly believe that Patriots are built on the foundations created by the Steelers business model - players who are a part of the organisation have to buy into a team philosophy.

What people have to understand is that had the Steelers gained a draft pick for Joey that pick would have been used to make the team better.

At the end of the day, the Steelers (and the Patriots) are all about the big picture, not appeasing highly talented players who don't want to be there.

coachspeak33
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree that there is a difference in value between a commodity that is highly prized by the current owners and one that is not.

I also believe that there are plenty of teams in the NFL who would be willing to convince their fanbases that they were 'for real' by making a play at a proven playmaker and SB ring holder.

I think there had to be an option where Porter could have been brought into the trade process - given the opportunity to talk to potential suitors, and then a trade between the team(s) hammered out.

Its very possible that multiple teams could have been involved - then you have an auction scenario - who knows where that ends up?

As far as lockeroom harmony goes - the Steelers have always been able to keep a lid on dissention in the ranks by always letting the players know who, ultimately, is boss.

When the Patriots traded Branch last year - there were many grumblings attributed to the locker-room and even our franchise QB was rumored to be very unhappy.

But the Patriots org. didn't back down - they did what was best for the franchise even if it cost them in the short term.

I truly believe that Patriots are built on the foundations created by the Steelers business model - players who are a part of the organisation have to buy into a team philosophy.

What people have to understand is that had the Steelers gained a draft pick for Joey that pick would have been used to make the team better.

At the end of the day, the Steelers (and the Patriots) are all about the big picture, not appeasing highly talented players who don't want to be there.

I am gonna start asking LITP to explain my opinion for me from now on... GREAT POST
:cheers:

Atlanta Dan
03-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Try and name one guy that we shipped out via a trade cause we knew his days in Pitt were numbered for financial reasons....I cant think of one.....That is rediculous

Over the free agency era, which matched up pretty closely with the Cowher era, the Steelers have almost always been playoff contenders. While past performance is no guarantee of future results, I believe that point should be considered in questioning whether the Rooneys & Colbert have screwed up the Porter departure.

Because their business model has been to attempt to remain playoff-level competitive every season rather than swing for the fences every few seasons, trading a player in the last year of his contract for draft picks, assuming such a deal could be developed, would remove a presumably higher level player from the roster and create a hole that the draft picks could not fill that year, which would reduce the ability to compete for the playoffs that season. I know New England has pulled off trading for picks while losing players, but they are the top organization of this era and the Branch trade & Vinateri being alllowed to leave (which put the Colts over the top) caught up with even them in 2006.

Letting Porter go in the last year of his contract is a departure from the Steelers riding a player until the end of a contract, even if he then departs.

Although I of course am not in the locker room or front office, I believe letting Porter go now is to squirrel away money for other signings but, more importantly, to cut loose a player who, although I was not in the locker room last year, complained about his contract last season and IMHO would have been out of control on that issue without having Cowher around to try to calm him down in 2007.

If the Steelers are going to change their business model and start trading players who will probably be gone the following year for draft picks, then Faneca is then one to keep an eye on. For whatever reason, they paid Faneca his bonus while letting Porter go to avoid paying Porter his bonus, even though I think Faneca was considered at the time as likely to be gone in 2008 as Porter.

coachspeak33
03-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Over the free agency era, which matched up pretty closely with the Cowher era, the Steelers have almost always been playoff contenders. While past performance is no guarantee of future results, I believe that point should be considered in questioning whether the Rooneys & Colbert have screwed up the Porter departure.

Because their business model has been to attempt to remain playoff-level competitive every season rather than swing for the fences every few seasons, trading a player in the last year of his contract for draft picks, assuming such a deal could be developed, would remove a presumably higher level player from the roster and create a hole that the draft picks could not fill that year, which would reduce the ability to compete for the playoffs that season. I know New England has pulled off trading for picks while losing players, but they are the top organization of this era and the Branch trade & Vinateri being alllowed to leave (which put the Colts over the top) caught up with even them in 2006.

Letting Porter go in the last year of his contract is a departure from the Steelers riding a player until the end of a contract, even if he then departs.

Although I of course am not in the locker room or front office, I believe letting Porter go now is to squirrel away money for other signings but, more importantly, to cut loose a player who, although I was not in the locker room last year, complained about his contract last season and IMHO would have been out of control on that issue without having Cowher around to try to calm him down in 2007.

If the Steelers are going to change their business model and start trading players who will probably be gone the following year for draft picks, then Faneca is then one to keep an eye on. For whatever reason, they paid Faneca his bonus while letting Porter go to avoid paying Porter his bonus, even though I think Faneca was considered at the time as likely to be gone in 2008 as Porter.

I never questioned the steelers ability to win games....I simply dont understand the harm in getting some return on a player, like Porter, who was still under contract with the steelers for another season...why give him away for nothing...when at the very least you can get a 3rd or 4th rd pick....

Why would that be a negative?

We talk about how unbelievable the steelers FO is when it comes to drafting...why not accumulate a for more picks by basically selling a proven proessional LB, who by the way learned his trade in Pittsburgh...

I mean if your gonna lose him anyway...why not deal him for, lets call it a "going away present" to the organization for teaching him how to play LB well enough to garner a 32 million dollar contract

DACEB
03-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Plain and simple we should have gotten something for Porter, it's how business is done. I think the FO dropped the ball on that one, for whatever reason. I don't claim to know the logistics of it all, but I would have paid the 1 mill due March just to have gotten a pick. I can't see how he would have been worth less than at least a 2nd or 3rd pick.

Many of you have brought up valid points on the reasoning behind this situation. I suppose we can only hope that in the future the FO plans ahead when it comes to these types of scenerios. Faneca?!?!

stlrtruck
03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I think Joey needs to realize that no player is irreplaceable. As much as he will be missed, it's not his locker room anymore and neither is the one in Miami (unless Taylor and Thomas relinquish control).

Joey, at times you were a trash talking idiot on and off the field. But mostly you WERE an intimidating player who knew how to play the game with intensity. For that, I will miss you...but now you're on another team, wearing the wrong colors, and soon you will find out that players from the Steelers organization seldom do well with other teams!

But don't worry, when you retire, sign that one day deal with the Steelers, retire in the black and gold and maybe, just maybe, you'll get into the HOF to extend the Steelers reign there too!

coachspeak33
03-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Plain and simple we should have gotten something for Porter, it's how business is done. I think the FO dropped the ball on that one, for whatever reason. I don't claim to know the logistics of it all, but I would have paid the 1 mill due March just to have gotten a pick. I can't see how he would have been worth less than at least a 2nd or 3rd pick.

Many of you have brought up valid points on the reasoning behind this situation. I suppose we can only hope that in the future the FO plans ahead when it comes to these types of scenerios. Faneca?!?!

Good points DACEB....
I cant decide which of the following is worse:
A. we break the bank for Faneca...he finishes his career as a steeler...but the team suffers cause we are paying well over $50 million for a freakin G

B. we go old school and "rooney" our way to one more season of Mr. Faneca...only to watch him leave and the steelers get nothing in return

C. we trade him for a couple day 1 picks prior to the 07 season

If i knew how to make a poll i would, but if you were kevin colbert and had to choose.....what would it be????????

tony hipchest
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
C. we trade him for a couple day 1 picks prior to the 07 season

If i knew how to make a poll i would, but if you were kevin colbert and had to choose.....what would it be????????here you go. i already did one about a month ago.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15410&highlight=trade+faneca

i dont think it was received to well. :sofunny: in fact i think most thought i was nuts. :chuckle: nice long thread about it youd probably like.

disclaimer: in no way would i want to trade ward although i worry how he will react when asked to take a paycut when his cap number hits 8 and 9 million in the next 2 years.

also- fanecas trade value is easilly the same as matt schaubs imo.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-23-2007, 01:49 PM
No...both the steelrs and Porter made out on this deal with no hard feelings

polamalufan43
03-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Not bad. JP will be missed.

Agreed.

ChronoCross
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
can we not just put all the joey stuff in one of the bigger joey threads.. instead of creating new story on joe.. new story on joey.. did we drop the ball on joey.. they all can go in one thread.. personally tired of the joey convo.. he is gone.. he will be missed by some not by others..

SteelShooter
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Delete

SteelShooter
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM

:iagree: Yep! :stupid:

noto45
03-23-2007, 07:17 PM
can we take all the joey and cowher posts and create a new forum called " Insert whatever regurgetated post comment you want here" PLEASE NO MORE JOEY OR COHWER posts. They are GONE lets move on and focus on the 07 Steelers!

BettisFan
03-23-2007, 07:19 PM
oy yoy yoy

GBMelBlount
03-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Porter & Cowher are no longer with the Steelers?

tony hipchest
03-23-2007, 09:04 PM
can we take all the joey and cowher posts and create a new forum called " Insert whatever regurgetated post comment you want here" PLEASE NO MORE JOEY OR COHWER posts. They are GONE lets move on and focus on the 07 Steelers!so when woodson gets inducted into the hall of fame will we get yelled at for discussing it in the steelers forum? since tomlin is now the head coach, if chuck noll is ever hospitalized where should we post the news?

HometownGal
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
There - I merged all of the Joey Porter threads into this one. Is everyone happy now? :wink02:

I'm not going to sticky it. If you care to comment on anything contained in this thread or wish to post a new article on Peezy, please do so in this thread. Thanks!

tony hipchest
03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
There - I merged all of the Joey Porter threads into this one. Is everyone happy now? :wink02:

happy as ben in switzerland! :thumbsup:

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_calf_275.jpg

porter rulez! :chuckle:

83-Steelers-43
03-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Now that's a BIG block of cheese. Please warn me before posting that BIG block of cheese so I'm not caught off guard when you post that BIG block of cheese because I've never seen a block of cheese that BIG in my life..........that's just a BIG block of cheese.

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.ski-epic.com/europemotorcycle2001/pic4/06_26_14_49_26_md.jpg

tony hipchest
03-24-2007, 11:11 AM
:sofunny:

holy cow! that block of cheese looks like it fell from the moon!

i wonder if ben has seen it.

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 08:38 PM
:sofunny:

holy cow! that block of cheese looks like it fell from the moon!

i wonder if ben has seen it.

Hate to beat a dead horse but that photo is so cheesy, my wife & I practically crap from laughing every time we see it! Is this relevant to the thread... uhhhhh, so "Joey Porter, Joey Porter, Joey Porter," are we good? :toofunny:

83-Steelers-43
03-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Joey Porter (even though he's a Dolphin), Bill Cowher (even though he doesn't coach this team) and Ben Roethlisberger's trip to Switzerland must be stressed as much as possible.

It's a BIG block of cheese for Pete's sake. How can you NOT want to talk about it? It's a BIG piece of cheese!!!

Screw the fact that we are now moving on to new LB's. Screw the fact that Tomlin is our new HC (that's no big deal really).

It's............it's..............it's............ ...a BIG block of cheese!!!!! It's like looking at Pamela Anderson before you knew she banged Kid "Trailer Trash" Rock and caught an STD. It's beautiful. It's a BIG block of cheese damn it. It's unbelievable.

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey I found the babies to the big block of cheese.

http://www.voltabelting.com/cheese_001_.gif

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Instead of like other football stars who have a special closet for shoes.. Check out Big Bens Closet.

http://travel.discovery.com/destinations/australia/photogallery/gallery/cheese.jpg

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Instead of like other football stars who have a special closet for shoes.. Check out Big Bens Closet.

http://travel.discovery.com/destinations/australia/photogallery/gallery/cheese.jpg

I don't thik I have ever laughed as hard at anything compared to this Big Ben cheese stuff!!!!!:toofunny: .....Joey Porter, Joey Porter, Joey Porter....thak God we're getting over this JP stuff!

ChronoCross
03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
You know normal family reunions, you go out and have a good time. But being covered in cheese because of your ancestry is just crazy. Check out Ben's last family reunion.

http://www.toohipfortheroom.com/secret/odds/cheese.jpg

GBMelBlount
03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
You know normal family reunions, you go out and have a good time. But being covered in cheese because of your ancestry is just crazy. Check out Ben's last family reunion.

http://www.toohipfortheroom.com/secret/odds/cheese.jpg

LOL! Are you sure that's Ben's family? It looks like cheese Wiz!!!!!! ..."Joey Porter":sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2007, 09:41 PM

I'm not going to sticky it. If you care to comment on anything contained in this thread or wish to post a new article on Peezy, please do so in this thread. Thanks!

Sounds good about merging.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Joey Porter (even though he's a Dolphin), Bill Cowher (even though he doesn't coach this team) and Ben Roethlisberger's trip to Switzerland must be stressed as much as possible.

It's a BIG block of cheese for Pete's sake. How can you NOT want to talk about it? It's a BIG piece of cheese!!!

Screw the fact that we are now moving on to new LB's. Screw the fact that Tomlin is our new HC (that's no big deal really).

It's............it's..............it's............ ...a BIG block of cheese!!!!! It's like looking at Pamela Anderson before you knew she banged Kid "Trailer Trash" Rock and caught an STD. It's beautiful. It's a BIG block of cheese damn it. It's unbelievable.

:confused: :hunch: :confused:

tony hipchest
03-26-2007, 08:58 AM
"big bens cheese closet"! :rofl:

just to clear things up, cheesy rhymes with j. peezy so the cheese is relevant to this thread.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-26-2007, 12:14 PM

just to clear things up, cheesy rhymes with j. peezy so the cheese is relevant to this thread.

O good...I was going to open a new thread about fleas....but now see that I can just drive on ..right here!!!:toofunny: :toofunny:

GBMelBlount
03-26-2007, 07:27 PM

Thak God! I was feeling guilty. :toofunny: