PDA

View Full Version : Porter sacrificed for Polamalu & Faneca?

abowens
03-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Joey will be missed; maybe more for his personality than his play. He did not have a good season but what Steeler (other than Willie) did? Regardless, Joey views himself as more valuable than he is. I am certain that the Steelers worked hard to get him a deal [I]they could live with.

We all know they could not hope to pay Joey, Troy and Alan. Joey is the most expendable. Now, if they don't move quickly and lock up Troy and Faneca I'd be upset.

As for Joey, I really think the Raiders would be a good fit. I know Joey's got to "take care of his family" since he has never made any money, so anytime a good true Steeler bolts for more money (since they've never made any) I wish them all the best - except for a winning end to their career. I guess I expect too much when I think the players should be as loyal to the Steelers as we fans are!

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Well said abowens, but the fact remains that Tomlin and company did not win any brownie points with me today...........

Elvis
03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
:coffee:
Porter can be replaced, but I really think that maybe it was to
help resign Polomalu and if that is what it takes then so
be it... Faneca is coming to the end of his tenure
at LG and a replacement needs to be found
for Farrior and Foote as well....
:tt02:

abowens
03-01-2007, 05:15 PM
There is a young free agent LB from the Pats - Tully Bantikane (I know I did not spell that right) They were talking with him on Sirius NFL Afternoon Blitz. He's kind of under the radar but sounds solid. Might they go after him? Are there any other free agents LB's on the radar that could be had?

jjpro11
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
this just sucks for me. i really hate this offseason. nothing good has come from it or the entire regular season either. i honestly do not know who is going to lead that defense now. there is no lloyd or porter to get the d fired up.. they are a pretty quiet bunch.. i dont know.. im just upset right now.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 05:21 PM
i honestly do not know who is going to lead that defense now. there is no lloyd or porter to get the d fired up.. they are a pretty quiet bunch.. i dont know.. im just upset right now.

I agree - I think we will feel Joey's absence more in leadership than anything else. Taz is more a "lead by example" kind of guy, but for every quiet leader, a vocal one is needed as well. Who will fill that void now? That's the question.

abowens
03-01-2007, 05:23 PM
this just sucks for me. i really hate this offseason. nothing good has come from it or the entire regular season either. i honestly do not know who is going to lead that defense now. there is no lloyd or porter to get the d fired up.. they are a pretty quiet bunch.. i dont know.. im just upset right now.

As much as I enjoyed Joey's mouth, a loud mouth and trash talk don't make a leader or a fierce player. Troy P is as fierce a player as Porter ever was and he's quiet. Casey Hampton is quiet but he's a strong stable personality. Someone will step up. His absence will create a vaccum that has to be filled.

abowens
03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
...and I guarantee you there is some guy on that defense that will jump at the opportunity to take Porter's place behind a microphone. He's just been waiting for his chance to talk his trash. I just hope whoever it is can back it up like Joey could!

jjpro11
03-01-2007, 05:28 PM
As much as I enjoyed Joey's mouth, a loud mouth and trash talk don't make a leader or a fierce player. Troy P is as fierce a player as Porter ever was and he's quiet. Casey Hampton is quiet but he's a strong stable personality. Someone will step up. His absence will create a vaccum that has to be filled.

if i had to bet on anyone id bet farrior would be the guy. him and joey seemed to feed off each other quite a bit. farrior isnt going to be nearly as loud as joey, but he is still a great vet who definitely gets his choice words in.
keep in mind there is no bill anymore either. i havent seen tomlin on the sidelines but i can guarantee you he isnt a cowher motivational wise... thats just the honest to God truth.

fansince'76
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Anyway we could dip Lambert and Ham in a fountain of youth somewhere? LB problem solved. j/k

abowens
03-01-2007, 05:36 PM
They say Tomlin is a quite operating guy in the mold of Dungy who learned from Knoll. Knoll was very reserved, rarely raised his voice and was not a traditional motivator. Besides the cap space and the money, maybe Tomlin and Porter (who reportedly met several times) just did not connect. Cowher and Porter were two Peezey's in a pod. It's pure speculation, but maybe the new regime also wanted a new team attidute that Joey did not embody. Maybe?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Great players are made when the have to step and and take the role of a leader....
WHO WILL IT BE....a veteran? a rookie?
who willlll ittttt beeeeee

geo1963
03-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Really surprised at all the negative reaction towards the Rooney's and Tomlin on releasing Porter. I'm a big Porter fan, but it was painfully obvious he was no where near the player he once was. At the price it would have cost to keep him, we would have put ourselves totally out of the market for Polamalu, Fanneca, and and would have killed our cap for the next three to five years.
I'll always consider Porter a Steeler, and I hope he has a great career his last few years, but unfortunately in all sports today someone staying just out of loyalty(either from management or the player) just does'nt happen. IT REALLY DOES SUCK, but I do feel the Steelers did what is best in the long run for the organization to maintain it's winning ways.

GOOD LUCK JOEY....YOU"LL BE MISSED

SteelCityMan786
03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Thread Closed. Please Read First.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=15348