PDA

View Full Version : We will miss you Joey!

Stillers43
03-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the memories! We are going to miss you Peezy! You brought heart and intensity to the D! I wish you all the best. Please don't go to an AFC North team!

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the memories! We are going to miss you Peezy! You brought heart and intensity to the D! I wish you all the best. Please don't go to an AFC North team!

Whatever you do stay away from the Browns!

Good Luck Peezy, its been more fun than you will ever know.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Once a Steeler, always a Steeler

(Unless you end up w/ the Browns and/or Bengals...then we might need bribed, jk jk)

LambertIsGod58
03-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I think that Porter has been the best LB we've had since Greg LLoyd. I'm gonna miss Porter and I'll route for him wherever he goes. Even Baltimore or Cleveland. Just not against us.

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Even Baltimore or Cleveland. Just not against us.

Well, I'll continue to follow him, but I still know who I'm cheering for if he ever plays against us. It will be interesting to see if Ben ever gets sacked by Joey...

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 07:49 PM
Dear God,
Please don't let Joey end up with the Bengals, the Ravens or the Browns!
Thank you,
Lloydfan4life

I second this prayer.... we love Joey and want him to have some sort of success in the future. Please don't subject us to seeing this kind of tragedy. And also, please help Ben not to be so accident prone. If Joey ends up sacking him, well, you can see what will happen....

abowens
03-01-2007, 08:04 PM
You are a Steeler at heart - we do know that. I'm being selfish and praying you don't land in the AFC North. We'll miss you bad enough as it is. Our hearts will be broken to see you line up against us. If that day comes, just take it easy on Ben!

ChronoCross
03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Can we get all the joey threads combined mods..

polamalufan43
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Can we get all the joey threads combined mods..

I agree. It would be alot easier.

Mikee
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Good luck my friend.

Steelers
03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Joey was the man and I'm glad he got his ring with the Steelers. He'll always be a Steeler to me, but I guess the $ was more important in the end.

Joey, please head to the NFC and don't rattle Ben up too badly when we play!

NV STEELERS 723
03-01-2007, 08:47 PM
I will understand those here that are upset about Peezy being cut... I felt the same way when they cut Greg Lloyd...Boy was I pissed!

drew102e
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
although you are a bigmouth thank for all you did

stay out of the AFC, maybe the saints thats a good fit

Edman
03-01-2007, 09:30 PM
This guy certainly isn't taking it well...

http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/news/67294

drew102e
03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
thats hilarious

Steeldude
03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
woo hoo! finally he is gone. time to upgrade.

jjpro11
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
its sad to see ya go joey.. we share the same name and we share a bitter hatred for the browns. unlike some, i am going to miss the pregame trash talking and how you ignored winslow rather than looking like a fake and shaking his hand. you said what you felt and it was always entertaining. good luck elsewhere.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Joey,you will always be a Steeler at heart.I ams ad to see you go,but I knew you wouldn't be here forever.

SteelersMongol
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!! THIS IS JUST CRAZY. This is a sad day to read this kind of news. Porter will always be one of my favorite Steelers of all time. I will sure miss the guy.

Though, I wonder if he has guts to come back and play for us like Bus did? You know with low pay and even being a backup and all?

SteelShooter
03-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Dear God,
Thank you,
Lloydfan4life

Ditto.............................

skinart82
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
I will still be sportin my Porter Jersey, and I won't rename my dog either!

klick81
03-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Dear God,
Thank you,
Lloydfan4life

That would be horrible. Like Cowher going to the Cowboys. We'll miss you man!!!

ben2hines=6
03-02-2007, 12:50 AM
ya know i hate to say it....but think about this......cowher and porter both ending up in cleveland....i know i know nightmare....but cleveland has a shit load of cap room to sign porter and with this most likely being romeo's last year in the shit hole of cleveland that leaves a slot open for a coach and u know cowher is gonna take a serious look at that....i mean if he would turn around the shit stains of the nfl his legacy would be at a new peak nobody has ever seen

klick81
03-02-2007, 12:55 AM
ya know i hate to say it....but think about this......cowher and porter both ending up in cleveland....i know i know nightmare....but cleveland has a shit load of cap room to sign porter and with this most likely being romeo's last year in the shit hole of cleveland that leaves a slot open for a coach and u know cowher is gonna take a serious look at that....i mean if he would turn around the shit stains of the nfl his legacy would be at a new peak nobody has ever seen

Consider yourself e-slapped. :flap:

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 12:56 AM

Porter, maybe. Cowher I see more as the Panthers HC a year or two down the line. He has a multimillion dollar house in the neighborhood and John Fox is on thin ice.

Elvis
03-02-2007, 05:47 AM
:coffee:
I dont see either one happening to be honest
with ya. Porter could end up in Cleveland stranger things
have happened no doubt. But I really dont think that
Cowher will end up in Cleveland or Carolina. I think when
he comes back it will be in a city that will be a big
suprise to everyone and that includes me.
:tt02:

polamalufan43
03-02-2007, 06:58 AM
:coffee:
I dont see either one happening to be honest
with ya. Porter could end up in Cleveland stranger things
have happened no doubt. But I really dont think that
Cowher will end up in Cleveland or Carolina. I think when
he comes back it will be in a city that will be a big
suprise to everyone and that includes me.
:tt02:

Hey, the time period between the end of the season and this proves that stranger things can happen my friends.

ARKIESTEEL
03-02-2007, 07:43 AM
See you 55 hope things work out for you.

SteelerFanInATL
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Remember this Peezy, some people play for the Steelers and some are Steelers. You my friend are truely a STEELER, No DOUBT!!!!! Good luck and best wishes to you.

Counselor
03-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Best of Luck Peezy. We'll miss you---but we'll always have Detroit. (And I'm still gonna wear your Jersey cause you'll always be a Steeler to me.)

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your [rear end] whipped, that's what."

:toofunny:

Take care Peezy and best of luck to you. You will be missed. :helmet:

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM
after steelers beat the colts in the playoffs, cowhers addressing the team in the locker room.

"and joey, can you please keep it quiet this week"

"Maaaaan, i got this! THEY SHOT ME UP IN DENVER!"

the locker room goes wild.

83-Steelers-43
03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
"Now I'm looking for him on game day; now I'm looking for Stevens. He has to line up in front of me, and that information you gave me just got me started; so I'll be out there looking for him at the 50-yard line. That information will go a long way because he can't hide from me. He has to line up in front of me, and I'll remind him of [what he said] every time I put him on his back.

"I was focused on football until right now when you told me what [Stevens] said. I don't blame him for thinking they came down here to win; but he said what he said, and I'll be ready for him. I can never get an offensive player to say stuff like that no more; I'm always battling defensive guys. It is great that the tight end said it because I don't never get to go against a tight end like that.

"He should know his role. He hasn't done anything that makes anybody fear him, while Jerome is a Hall of Famer and everybody knows about him. Meanwhile, this guy is almost a first-round bust who barely made some plays this year. He has the nerve to say what Jerome is not going to do when he isn't going to be the deciding factor whether that happens or not. I'm going to make sure he don't have anything to do with the outcome of the game.

"I would think someone would say something, but I wouldn't think it would be him - he's too soft to say something like that. He'll have the opportunity to back up his words, but I'm going to have an opportunity to back up my words.

"You ever see the movie 'Underworld'? I was sleeping all week, but I got my first taste of blood right here; and it is great when you haven't tasted it in a while. This week was boring until now."

Jerramy who? :smile:

BOXCAR JOEY
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
well mr P, you will be missed. I for one will miss all your snappy yet whimsical smack talk to psych out your opposing offensive lines.

good luck!

floodcitygirl
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM
I admit, I'm having a hard time with this today! I can't imagine Joey not being a Steeler and worse, suiting up for somebody else......

(BTW, I know it's business.)

klick81
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the quotes guys...you gotta love that guy.

MJ5150
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Beee-yaaaawwwwwww!

Mixed emotions for me. Part of me says......I am really sad to see the dominant Joey Porter from a couple years ago leaving our Steelers. The other part of me is happy to see his big mouth and "show me the money" attitude head on down the road. Either way, I will miss the enthusiasm and love he has for the game of football.

I don't buy in to the "always a Steeler" sentiment. The minute he signs with another team, he will no longer always be a Steeler to me. He'll just be a guy who played his best years in Pittsburgh.

I think he is only going to get worse from here on out, so I guess it is best to watch him get worse on another team. It would have been horrible for the Steelers to hand him a wad of cash and then watch his skills diminish in front of us while the national media clowns on the Steeler for handing big money to a declining player.

-Mike

tony hipchest
03-02-2007, 01:42 PM
i would like to see how he does in a system like baltimore's replacing thomas, san diego's replacing edwards, or new england's replacing vrabel on the outside, for a year before i say his skills have diminished. he would probably show hes got plenty of gas in the tank.

of course he isnt gonna look that great if he goes to a team like the browns, bungles, or texans.

fansince'76
03-02-2007, 01:45 PM
i would like to see how he does in a system like baltimore's replacing thomas, san diego's replacing edwards, or new england's replacing vrabel on the outside, for a year before i say his skills have diminished. he would probably show hes got plenty of gas in the tank.

of course he isnt gonna look that great if he goes to a team like the browns, bungles, or texans.

True, but I think at this point, he's already got his championship bling-bling, so he's going to go to the highest bidder. He's made his point repeatedly for awhile now that he wants to "get paid."

Tonyla1
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Well if you think about it in cap terms... the steelers are roughly saving $5 million by cutting porter. It's also about time to resign big ben and troy p. to a new contract. So by cutting porter this will help re-sign them both. I love porter to death and i'm very sadden by this moment, but in the long run i rather keep troy and big ben since they are younger and the future and porter will eventually decline.

just my thoughts:)

OneForTheToe
03-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Well if you think about it in cap terms... the steelers are roughly saving $5 million by cutting porter. It's also about time to resign big ben and troy p. to a new contract. So by cutting porter this will help re-sign them both. I love porter to death and i'm very sadden by this moment, but in the long run i rather keep troy and big ben since they are younger and the future and porter will eventually decline.

just my thoughts:)

If the Steelers don't sign Troy, I'm going to be very afraid to come here. :chicken:

WWIIOwheelz
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
I wonder who will get Joey? I've got a friend who's a big KC fan, and he's writing emails to the front office begging them to look into it.

I really hope he goes to a NFC team! lol

DACEB
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Good luck wherever you go Joey, unless it's the Bengals, Ravens or Browns.

Then again if you go to the Browns you'll need some luck!!

Who ride?!!

Steeldude
03-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Dude, I think you've made your point now..... in a number of different threads. You're not a Porter fan. We get it.

:yawn:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-04-2007, 02:26 AM
we'll miss you peezy...If the Bungles end up signing Joey I have a hard time picturing him chanting "who dey - we dey"

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_495933.html

It's win-win for Porter, Steelers
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 3, 2007

Business, never personal.

Instead of going out kicking and screaming, Joey Porter accepted his pink slip calmly and rationally.

The Steelers "fired" Porter on Thursday, essentially telling the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker thanks for the memories, but no thanks.

Porter's response: No, thank you.

"I'm not angry or disappointed, to tell you the truth. I know that everybody feels like I'm supposed to be. I'm happy," Porter said in a phone interview. "This is the best move for both sides. Nobody leaves bitter. I'm not mad by no means. Understand it's a business. I didn't take it personal.

"I feel like I'm a rookie all over again.''

Actually, Porter feels like a kid with a gold Toys"R"Us gift card. The world is his.

Friday was the first day of free agency, and Porter is an unrestricted free agent in a market where quality linebackers are few and far between.

The market was set when San Diego re-signed restricted free agent Shaun Phillips to a contract that guarantees him $13 million over the first two seasons. Phillips, who was second in the NFL with 11 1/2 sacks, has played in three fewer Pro Bowls than Porter, who led the Steelers with seven sacks in what was considered a down year for him.

"It doesn't have to be a certain team, a certain scheme. I can play whatever scheme, any system,'' Porter said. "I'm healthy, I have eight years of football tape they can watch. I'm excited for the fact that it's going to be new wherever I go. Sometimes as a player you need that. It's going to be interesting to figure out where I'll end up.''

Porter bristles at the notion that his reduced sack total indicates that his game is in decline.

"If I had three more sacks, does three more sacks mean that I had a great year?'' Porter asked. "I don't think three sacks are going to be the difference in how I play. No matter how you look at it, I still led the team that I was on in sacks. Nobody on defense put up the numbers that we wanted to. Nobody had the kind of year we all wanted to have.''

Porter and Baltimore's Adualius Thomas are two of the big-name outside linebackers among unrestricted free agents.

Thanks to the Steelers, Porter can wear his Super Bowl ring to his upcoming job interviews and hear cash registers ringing in the distance.

The Steelers' loss will be another team's gain.

When it became obvious that Porter wouldn't play the final year of his contract without an extension, the two sides parted ways amicably.

"I didn't get a contract, but at the same time I don't feel like they felt they had enough money to spend on me. It wasn't like I turned down the deal,'' Porter said. "It was about the Steelers coming to a reasonable number that they felt like giving me, and was I willing to take it.

"They've still got a lot of players they've got to take care of. Clark (Haggans). Aaron Smith, they got done. Troy Polamalu, (Alan) Faneca, Ben (Roethlisberger). You can't sign everybody, so somebody has to go.''

Bye-bye, Joey. But this parting is sweet, not sorrowful.

"The Steelers could have waited around and tried to trade me, or forced me to play the last year of my contract,'' Porter said. "They did it the best way they could, so that nobody's angry at nobody. The Rooneys have been good to me. The whole city of Pittsburgh has been good to me. We won a championship, I had eight good years there. I had no trouble finishing my career in Pittsburgh. At the same time, the faster that you figure out it's a business, the better off you'll be. Everybody's expendable.''

Porter spoke fondly of his former teammates, calling on Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton to become more of a defensive leader in his absence. He praised new coach Mike Tomlin and said he would have enjoyed playing for him.

Mostly, Porter spoke like a man finally in control of his own destiny. The first eight years of his NFL career were special, but Porter now gets to choose his new team, under his terms and at his price. It's a win-win situation for one of the best defensive players in Steelers history.

verks36
03-04-2007, 02:31 AM
RIP JOEY

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A STEELER IN MY HEART

stillers4me
03-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Wow. Great article......it just shows that Joey really is a classy guy and the mouth is all a simply part of his bad boy image. I'll miss ya , Joey!! Thanks for the memories, thanks for slamming Peyton Manning into the ground (:sofunny:), for your part in winning Superbowl XL, and thanks for being a Steeler!! You'll always be a Steeler as far as I'm concerned. And, ummmmmm, Joey.......if you get the chance to sack Ben, be gentle, OK?

SteelerFanInTX210
03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Joey...Joey...Joey you will be missed and i hope you go to the Cowboys so i can still watch you play. Joey seems to have taken his release very proffesionally and i think thats very classy of him, but am i on my own when i say that his attitude is the quiet before the storm, can you imagine what an emotional charge and just pure vengeance he will have if he goes to an afc north rival and has to play us twice. I really feel sorry for Ben because i guarantee hes going to punish us for this. What do you think.

blackngoldbaby
03-04-2007, 06:23 PM
joey you will always be a steeler to me no matter wear you go i will greatly miss you!!!you brought so much heart to the team, the memories of you will stay with me forever!thank you and i hope you have great success in the future.

steelerbackr4life
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I will definitely miss Joey. Who Ride?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-04-2007, 10:32 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/03/03/sports/professional/chargers/1_07_123_3_07.txt

Outside linebacker Joey Porter, cut by Pittsburgh on Thursday in a salary-cap move, is interested in playing with the Chargers, according to sources who spoke with Porter on Friday. The Bakersfield native expects to visit with San Francisco in coming days.

Porter doesn't appear to be a fit for the Chargers, who have two young, productive outside linebackers -- Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips -- under long-term contracts. The Steelers saved $5 million by releasing Porter. He was slated to earn a $1 million roster bonus on Tuesday and $4 million in 2007 base pay.

Steeltown Dre
03-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Porter was a locker room leader. His loss needs to be filled on the field and in the locker room.

GBMelBlount
03-07-2007, 11:18 PM
It will be. We need a solid LB pick in the draft. Also, other players ALWAYS filll the locker room void. Go Steelers!

VegasStlrFan
03-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the attitude, effort, intensity, and intimidation! I hate to see him go, but can't wait to see who replaces him. He has big shoes to fill. Just part of "Today's Game", I wish him well (unless he's on the other sideline).

paul_scarito@yahoo.com
03-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Another Steeler gone once he hit his prime. Sort of getting used to it, but not liking it.
example: Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown , etc.......

GBMelBlount
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Another Steeler gone once he hit his prime. Sort of getting used to it, but not liking it.
example: Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, Brown , etc.......

Kind of quirky, but it seems to have worked OK. At least we got great play out of them while they were here.:tt02: