PDA

View Full Version : The Next Porter/Lloyd/Gildon/Brown/Kirkland?

jjpro11
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
well guys.. who's going to be the next great steelers linebacker? list your favorites.. draft picks.. free agents.. dare i say trade? who do you want that we can realistically get to replace porter for the future?

DACEB
03-02-2007, 07:22 AM
I believe that guy is in the draft, and I think the Steelers already know who they want at 15. I think there's an outside chance they draft Carriker and go with more 4-3, but I really think they will draft one of the DE/OLB types. So here goes, I say;

G. Adams , if available at 15
A. Spencer , which will be there at 15 or
J. Moss , who will be there also at 15

A DE/OLB offers the most versatility now and for the future, and I think anyone of those guys can play now. I don't think we will go after anyone to fill that spot in FA. I think our 2nd round pick will be a LB also.

19ward86
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
they cost a lot, it is hard to retire in PITT. all those linebackers were sweet but just got too expensive, the salary cap is screwing teams. we have no expensive players yet we have almost no cap. our highest paid player is i think alan faneca and he gets like 42 mil over 7 yrs. dont quote me on that.

CargoJon
03-02-2007, 09:11 AM
they cost a lot, it is hard to retire in PITT. all those linebackers were sweet but just got too expensive, the salary cap is screwing teams. we have no expensive players yet we have almost no cap. our highest paid player is i think alan faneca and he gets like 42 mil over 7 yrs. dont quote me on that.

It's not the salary cap that's screwing teams - some times (PIT and NE come to mind) just don't like to pay up. Doesn't make them bad teams, that's just how they operate. On the opposite end of the spectrum, teams like Washington and Dallas overpay for questionable talent, and it never helps them win either.

stlrtruck
03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
It's going to be that out of the blue, from behind the curtain, 3rd - 5th round pick that no one has on the radar but somehow the Steelers knew about him!!!

Then it will be SUDDEN IMPACT on a Special Teams play, then an injury that sidelines a starter for a few plays, and then squeeze him into the dime and nickel package, and then a force to be reckoned with every Sunday!!!

MJ5150
03-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I like Tim Shaw from Penn State, Oklahoma's Rufus Alexander, and Brandon Siler from Florida.

-Mike

Hines86Ward
03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
I'm gonna throw out a name that's under the radar & he'll most likely go undrafted...

Clint Session, LB from Pitt

ajs8207
03-02-2007, 01:26 PM
James Harrison has looked very good in limited action.

jjpro11
03-02-2007, 03:33 PM

hes only a year younger than porter. haggans is no spring chicken either.. its time to draft the linebacker of the future.. whoever that may be.

SteelerFanInCA
03-02-2007, 03:33 PM

James Harrison is ready to take over for Porter. Harrison will bring it on every down. I'm not too concerned about him filling Joey's shoes.

daleemnm
03-02-2007, 04:32 PM
James Harrison. He is a monster.

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2007, 04:33 PM
He will be drafted.

aburdell
03-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Jarvis Moss. Plain and simple he is being compared to Jason Taylor. He runs well and will work out at outside linebacker for a while and be a stuational pass rusher his rookie year and if he doesnt get it. We will switch to the 4-3 and he will be the next great pass rusher. The Steel Curtain will be back soon.

Steeldude
03-02-2007, 06:09 PM
i wouldn't place gildon's and porter's names with kirkland's, brown's and lloyd's.

IMO, jarvis moss will be another porter/gildon. he will have one move, he won't be able to tackle and he will flail around watching rather than reacting and attacking.

why not draft a player who was a LB in college? ala lloyd, kirkland, brown, lambert etc...

SteelerFanInTX210
03-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Call me a nerd but i watched clips on the NFL combine on NFL.com and as far as late round draft picks that could be benificial in the long run, there was one kid that kinda caught me as being an ideal middle linebacker for us in the years to come. His name is Zak DeOssie on NFLdraftcountdown they list him as running a 4.6 but in the combine he ran in the 4.5s hes pretty stout and could probably add some weight and be a big fast downhill linebacker we need to play the middle. I havent heard of this guy but they list him as a sleeper pick so tell me what you gather. http://brownbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/deossie_zak00.html.

Edman
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
James Harrison is going to take up the reigns this year. When he has played in place of Porter he brought the pain. But he's up there in age too. Same with Haggans. The Steelers LB corps need a youth injection if they expect to run the 3-4/4-3 hybrid next season.

I expect the D to be addressed greatly on Day 1.

SteelersTilIDie
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
maybe jarvis moss...clark haggans...adam carriker...anthony spencer

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-02-2007, 10:45 PM
I had the same question in another post.
This is my thoughts on it...

Great players are made when the have to step and and take the role of a leader....
WHO WILL IT BE....a veteran? a rookie?
who willlll ittttt beeeeee

I believe we will have a rookie of the year in 07